Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

So heres a dumb question. How much do I need to pay when I sign up for a plan? Can I walk in, sign up for the 50/mo plan and walk out?

Ramadu fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Ramadu posted:

So heres a dumb question. How much do I need to pay when I sign up for a plan? Can I walk in, sign up for the 50/mo plan and walk out?

I believe you have to pay taxes on your new phone, if you get one? Maybe an activation fee too.

Evader
May 20, 2008

One morning, when I woke up, there was a lizard in my room.
All my research says carriers detect your device's IMEI and then nail you based on that, as per the helpful earlier post. IMEI spoofing was, uh, fun to google about. As far as I can tell it isn't technically illegal to do in the USA. Now, running duplicates is, yeah- but if I take the IMEI of the crappy phone and imprint that on my tablet somehow (and then battery pull the crap phone) then that would assumedly work. Now, contract violations? I have no idea, that's too much fine print.

Never mind that 75% of the internet thinks it's illegal despite the only thing about it I could find was a bill that never passed Congress. The other 25% wants me to pay money, and while I am willing to pay, I don't throw money at un-vetted shady people on the internet.

Meh, I already get unlimited hotspot and tethering due to DUN settings. This just means I can get a cheaper tablet, and I can find some other use for the second voice SIM/phone.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Does T-Mobile charge a restocking fee if the device you're returning is defective? I got a Note 4 and the camera just WILL NOT focus. It'll stay blurry for a good two minutes and then maybe focus if I jostle it around enough. Lighting does not seem to matter. Excellent phone besides that, but this is twice I've been burned by Samsung, so fool me twice, etc. I'd like to just return it and get my money back. Maybe get a Nexus 6 instead.

Linco
Apr 1, 2004

Daily Forecast posted:

Does T-Mobile charge a restocking fee if the device you're returning is defective? I got a Note 4 and the camera just WILL NOT focus. It'll stay blurry for a good two minutes and then maybe focus if I jostle it around enough. Lighting does not seem to matter. Excellent phone besides that, but this is twice I've been burned by Samsung, so fool me twice, etc. I'd like to just return it and get my money back. Maybe get a Nexus 6 instead.

I just bought a phone 2 days ago, and it cracked on the back on its own. They let me return it under the 14 day return policy, and then credited my account the $50 restocking fee. I had to call customer care to get them to do this.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Guess I got all angry for no reason because I realized that I had pretty much zero complaints about the phone besides the camera issue, and defects happen. Took it to the T-Mobile store, showed them the lovely camera issue, and they exchanged it for a new one no questions asked. Camera works now. I guess I was just kinda mad because I was all "jesus christ I give samsung phones another chance and THIS HAPPENS".

The Galaxy S5 I got for all of a week was a total piece of poo poo but Note 4 addressed my one gigantic concern (horrific UI lag, I guess the Note 4 finally is powerful enough to weather touchwiz) and since my eyes are just going to hell, the big screen seemed like a great idea. I even managed to sell my Nexus 5 for drat near what I bought it for. Success all around.

The rest of Touchwiz I can live with. Even though Samsung puts a facebook app on there that they don't let me uninstall OR disable. gently caress you, Samsung. Putting a custom rom on this feels pointless because then I'd be losing the S-Pen, half the reason I bought the drat phone.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

Daily Forecast posted:

The rest of Touchwiz I can live with. Even though Samsung puts a facebook app on there that they don't let me uninstall OR disable. gently caress you, Samsung. Putting a custom rom on this feels pointless because then I'd be losing the S-Pen, half the reason I bought the drat phone.

Touchwiz easy. A setting that forgets call waiting on purpose. I had call waiting when rotary phones were a thing.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Looks like T-Mobile has introduced some new prepaid plans

http://explore.t-mobile.com/unlimited-prepaid-plans?icid=WMD_TM_Q115CYRN_1UFSBRX6QWH1525

$40 for unlimited talk,text & 3G data plus 1 GB LTE, Could this beat the dork plan for people who talk a lot?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Island Nation posted:

http://explore.t-mobile.com/unlimited-prepaid-plans?icid=WMD_TM_Q115CYRN_1UFSBRX6QWH1525

$40 for unlimited talk,text & 3G data plus 1 GB LTE, Could this beat the dork plan for people who talk a lot?

Who talks on the phone anymore? Way to go Tmo. Plus these new plans don't even have Music Freedom. What is this, 2013?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Island Nation posted:

quote:

*Rate plan max speed of 8 Mbps; upon reaching data limits, speeds slowed to up to 128 Kbps.
I wouldn't call 128Kbps "3G."

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

butt dickus posted:

I wouldn't call 128Kbps "3G."

you'd be surprised how usable 128K is if it's low-latency and consistent.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Usable, maybe, but that's not the point. 128Kbps is GPRS/EDGE territory. 3G (HSPA+) on T-Mobile can go up to 42Mbps.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Island Nation posted:

That sounds perfect for my mom. I got her a smart phone, but she's using it with mobile data turned off. It'd be nice for her to check email on the go. Maybe use navigation instead of her stand alone GPS unit. And she's gone over her 1000 minute limit last month, which this would prevent.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
Am I dense, or is there no way to check your data stash usage/balance currently?

I do see that my monthly usage is showing 3 different numbers in 3 different places currently. I'm confused.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

butt dickus posted:

Usable, maybe, but that's not the point. 128Kbps is GPRS/EDGE territory. 3G (HSPA+) on T-Mobile can go up to 42Mbps.

This is aimed at a prepaid customer who wants a smartphone but doesn't do a lot of smartphoney things and has heard horror stories of people going over their limit

Uthor posted:

That sounds perfect for my mom. I got her a smart phone, but she's using it with mobile data turned off. It'd be nice for her to check email on the go. Maybe use navigation instead of her stand alone GPS unit. And she's gone over her 1000 minute limit last month, which this would prevent.

Like this customer.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Qwijib0 posted:

This is aimed at a prepaid customer who wants a smartphone but doesn't do a lot of smartphoney things and has heard horror stories of people going over their limit
I know exactly what it's for, the only thing I'm saying is

Island Nation posted:

unlimited 3G data
is incorrect/misleading.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Back around late 2010 or so, T-Mobile and AT&T redefined things so that 3G was now called 4G and EDGE type speeds were now called 3G. It was stupid marketing bullshit, but at least they've been fairly consistent since then I guess?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

butt dickus posted:

I know exactly what it's for, the only thing I'm saying is

is incorrect/misleading.

I was going to fishmech you with the ITU spec of speed range over UMTS....

...but it's lower bound is 384k :negative:

good day to you sir :tipshat:

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
Isn't Harbor Mobile a better deal? You basically get all the perks of TMobile (music freedom, international data) plus 2.5GB for $30/mo.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

clockworx posted:

Isn't Harbor Mobile a better deal? You basically get all the perks of TMobile (music freedom, international data) plus 2.5GB for $30/mo.

Music freedom? Really. You got a source for that?

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

nimper posted:

Music freedom? Really. You got a source for that?

Can't link directly to it, but there's a section here:

https://www.harbormobile.com/faq/

quote:

Is the T-Mobile #MUSICFREEDOM (no data cap on music streaming) included?
YES!

T-Mobile is setting music free. Stream as much music as you want on your smartphone from top streaming services, including Google Play Music, Pandora, iHeartRadio, iTunes Radio, Rhapsody, Slacker, Spotify, AccuRadio, Black Planet, Grooveshark, Radio Paradise, Rdio and Songza, Milk Music, Xbox Music, SoundCloud, RadioTunes, Digitally Imported, Fit Radio, Fresca Radio, JAZZRADIO, Live365, Mad Genius Radio, radioPup, radio.com, ROCKRADIO and Saavn - and it won’t count towards your 4G LTE data plan. Data charges do not apply!

Please note, that access to the actual music streaming services are NOT included, rather just that the data which they use will not count towards your high speed data allotment of your plan.

International Roaming

quote:

Give me all I need to know about roaming overseas, like can I roam for extended periods of time?
Standard speeds approx. 128 Kbps. No tethering. Not for extended international use; you must reside in the U.S. and primary usage must occur on our U.S. network. Device must register on our U.S. network before international use. Service may be terminated or restricted for excessive roaming or misuse. Texting and data are included in all plans. Voice use is not permitted while roaming internationally over the cellular network.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

clockworx posted:

Can't link directly to it, but there's a section here:

https://www.harbormobile.com/faq/

Well I'll be hosed. That's a great reason to switch from the dork plan...

edit:

The one thing that gives me pause is the fact that the 2.5GB cap reverts to 1GB at the beginning of next year. But I suppose I could bump up to the $40 plan at that point and not be too worse for wear.

nimper fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 15, 2015

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Please tell me Harbor Mobile is a division of Harbor Freight

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

FCKGW posted:

Please tell me Harbor Mobile is a division of Harbor Freight

And you get a free flashlight for signing up.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

nimper posted:

Well I'll be hosed. That's a great reason to switch from the dork plan...

edit:

The one thing that gives me pause is the fact that the 2.5GB cap reverts to 1GB at the beginning of next year. But I suppose I could bump up to the $40 plan at that point and not be too worse for wear.

There's also a "$3 Federal Fee" added in. Only three bucks, but the plan is really $33/$43. Not sure about state taxes either.

I guess if Music Freedom is something you use all the time, it is worth it. If you don't need that, the $35 after autobill on Cricket (it will always be AIO to me) is better for coverage.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
Is that $50 unlimited data really unlimited full speed lte? if thats the case i just might have to switch.

E: confirmed with one of their reps, seems like a great deal.

Long Francesco fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 16, 2015

Khorne
May 1, 2002
In case anyone was wondering, you can buy MetroPCS Samsung Galaxy Avants and flash the t-mobile firmware with little hassle. The price difference is pretty big. You can buy brand new avants for around $100 while the refurbs from t-mo cost $180 and it's like $250 in store. It's an identical phone, the only difference is the firmware and a 1 at the end of the product number. It avoids having to unlock the metro phone, and it doesn't trip the counter or anything. The T-Mo firmware also has an unlock app, but you won't have to use it if you plan on using the phone on T-Mo.

All I can say about the avant is as long as you aren't an avid phone movie watcher/gamer and as long as you don't think it's a replacement for a real camera, you'll be happy with it. The camera is fine. The screen is very clear and vibrant. I was planning on buying it as a temporary phone until the next generation came out, but I am probably just sticking with it. I picked it up for $50 used and even some iphone5 people are kinda jealous of it. The battery life is awesome and it's very responsive with no delay or anything.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jan 19, 2015

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Where are you seeing the Avants for $100? I need a phone to park on my T-Mobile dealer line I don't really use but want for international purposes.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

FordPRefectLL posted:

Where are you seeing the Avants for $100? I need a phone to park on my T-Mobile dealer line I don't really use but want for international purposes.
BestBuy has sales sometimes, the metro site itself sells them for $100 but expects you to use metro for a month. They're $130 new at bestbuy with no sales in areas where metro is available.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Why not just get an unlocked Moto E for $99 instead of all that rigmarole?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

The Avant's specs are a lot better than the Moto E (if you can get it for $100.)

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
I know this is dumb but I just want to be absolutely sure-- T-Mobile will NOT pay my ETF if I leave Sprint for T-mo's $30 unlimited data plan, correct?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Correct. It's only for post paid.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

yellowjournalism posted:

I know this is dumb but I just want to be absolutely sure-- T-Mobile will NOT pay my ETF if I leave Sprint for T-mo's $30 unlimited data plan, correct?

But remember you will be saving more money each month, it practically pays for your ETF. When I left sprint I paid a $100 ETF (since it is prorated) and within two months and I had saved that by switching.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
http://www.walmart.com/ip/39150759

Wow, a $20 Tmo android shitphone. At least it runs 4.4.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

FordPRefectLL posted:

The Avant's specs are a lot better than the Moto E (if you can get it for $100.)

IIRC you can get that price from Retentions

Though wasn't the Avant panned for being laggy despite the better specs versus the E?

Insane Totoro fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 19, 2015

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Insane Totoro posted:

IIRC you can get that price from Retentions

Though wasn't the Avant panned for being laggy despite the better specs versus the E?

Considering that the Avant runs Touchwiz and the E runs stock Android, it's not too hard to conclude that nobody should ever buy a budget Samsung phone for any reason.

real dilemma
Apr 12, 2007
Is there a limit/expiration to the data stash? Or can I just bank up like 100gb and blow through it in a month if I wanted to? I can't seem to find a good FAQ on it.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Closest I can find, from the bottom of http://www.t-mobile.com/offer/data-stash-data-roll.html

quote:

Data Stash: On-network data from past 12 months carries over to next billing cycle for as long as you maintain qualifying postpaid service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

I'm considering switching to T-Mo from Sprint, due to that ridiculously good unlimited everything two lines for $100 plan. I have a couple of months left under contract, so I'm interested in getting them to pay the ETF. Is trading in my old phone a requirement to get that to happen? My Mom will inherit my Note II, but we could trade in my wife's S3 along with a random other old phone if they don't care what phone they get.