Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Pink salt can be hard to come by unless you have access to the internet. I got mine on amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Pink salt can be hard to come by unless you have access to the internet. I got mine on amazon.

I've had luck finding it at both old school butchers (the hipster butcher doesn't sell nitrates) and at italian delis. Both were much cheaper than buying online (which is still a clusterfuck in Canada sometimes).

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
There are two forms of Prague powder, #1 and #2. Both are regular salt plus a small portion of sodium nitrite. #2 also has some sodium nitrate, which should break down to sodium nitrite by the time the meat is fully cured. #2 is probably better for things with a longer cure period than bacon, though, so when you search, look for #1.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Good luck getting an "internet" account.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

I should have said locally yeah because that's what I meant. Order it online. I searched stores for it for weeks :(

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Vegetable Melange posted:

Man I just cannot make a good whole wheat bread. Time to start another sponge and try sourdough again, I suppose. Anybody else have an experience with Sandor Katz's book on Fermentation?

I haven't messed with his sourdough recipe, but Katz is a pretty great source for fermentation knowledge in general if you can tolerate his mid-19th-century gentlemanspeak. I can't decide what to put in my new fermentation crocks first because there are so many great ideas. Nepalese fermented radishes? Kimchi with dried shrimp? Weird lacto-fermented salted fruit? Too many options and they all sound interesting. I settled on my great grandma's sauerkraut recipe (nearly done, texture and flavor are fantastic) and will be doing lacto beets next unless further reading puts more crazy things in my head to try first.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I've had luck finding it at both old school butchers (the hipster butcher doesn't sell nitrates) and at italian delis.
loving hipsters.

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

The Midniter posted:

I just don't get it. What about PB&J could possibly be construed as "awful"? It's one of the least offensive possible things one could eat - there's a good reason it's so prevalent for little kids' lunches, because it's mostly bland. If they find PB&J awful, what do they eat??

Maybe it's the blandness they find awful? I've never had a PB&J because it's just not a thing in my culture. And since I know it as American little kid food, I've never made a point of trying it.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

jkk posted:

Maybe it's the blandness they find awful? I've never had a PB&J because it's just not a thing in my culture. And since I know it as American little kid food, I've never made a point of trying it.

Nah, I think that's a copy and paste from one of those "picky eater" Facebook groups. PB&J is probably about as adventurous as they get with their palates, so I highly doubt their poor opinion of it is because it's bland.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

You can find pure sodium nitrate at asian markets, specifically at 99 Ranch Market it's in the aisle with the vietnamese spices and MSG.. It's not pink so you'll have to do the conversion yourself.

Or buy it from butcher packer. It's the cheapest even including insurance: http://www.butcher-packer.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=237_12

you want DQ #1, DQ #2 is for long cures like hams.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I have a potluck brunch on Sunday. I don't really like potlucks, and potluck brunch is even worse, but the hostess is pregnant so she doesn't want to get all out and about and babies are expensive, so here we are. I totally get the reasoning.

One of the things they wanted someone to bring was breakfast meat. Most people haven already responded and no one has taken that one on, so I said I could bring it as long as I could use the oven.

The hostess wants to know if we can bring pre-cooked instead because having people in the kitchen was stressful last time. (Yes, I allowed myself to be roped into this a second time.) But there are 8-10 people coming. That kind of quantity is going to need to be heated in the oven anyway, and if you didn't and insisted on doing it on the microwave or stove it would take longer, be worse, and be far more intrusive. Why not give it an extra five minutes to improve the end result? It's a ~15 minute, entirely unattended process.

I don't know what's so stressful about this anyway. Last time I did all the loving dishes.

I think I am done with this potluck nonsense.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

guppy posted:

I have a potluck brunch on Sunday. I don't really like potlucks, and potluck brunch is even worse, but the hostess is pregnant so she doesn't want to get all out and about and babies are expensive, so here we are. I totally get the reasoning.

One of the things they wanted someone to bring was breakfast meat. Most people haven already responded and no one has taken that one on, so I said I could bring it as long as I could use the oven.

The hostess wants to know if we can bring pre-cooked instead because having people in the kitchen was stressful last time. (Yes, I allowed myself to be roped into this a second time.) But there are 8-10 people coming. That kind of quantity is going to need to be heated in the oven anyway, and if you didn't and insisted on doing it on the microwave or stove it would take longer, be worse, and be far more intrusive. Why not give it an extra five minutes to improve the end result? It's a ~15 minute, entirely unattended process.

I don't know what's so stressful about this anyway. Last time I did all the loving dishes.

I think I am done with this potluck nonsense.

Just bring a whole deli black forest ham.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Yeah, honestly... Cold cuts are a valid breakfast meat. If she doesn't want you in her kitchen, then she doesn't get warm meat.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I would be less annoyed about it if her proposed alternative made any sense. Doing precooked bacon will be exactly the same except it will take a couple minutes less time and be worse.

If we're gonna do these at someone's house I'd rather host it and just cook.

guppy fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 9, 2015

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Just bring a whole deli black forest ham.

Cold headcheese and hash. It's TRADITIONAL.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

guppy posted:

I would be less annoyed about it if her proposed alternative made any sense. Doing precooked bacon will be exactly the same except it will take a couple minutes less time and be worse.

If we're gonna do these at someone's house I'd rather host it and just cook.

Go along with it then show up with uncooked bacon and tell her your oven/stove isn't working or the power is out at your place or something?

It won't be a big deal if she doesn't have to worry about it in advance.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

related https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=759473874122597

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcLTCvQ4ZuE

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
I got some pancetta testa. Its heavily cured, and very dry. Rather like a salami. I am too lazy to slice and cook, so I am eating it raw. Is that stupid?

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

No, it's cured so that it's possible to eat raw.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Actually, I prefer it raw.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Holy gently caress. For all the fun that we make of autism in various gaming threads, that is autism.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

That's really genuine autism.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Isn't he just basically making instant mac & cheese? Except more expensive? And with a bunch of spergy math?

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
He just needs his tastes to improve and then he'll fit right in.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Isn't he just basically making instant mac & cheese? Except more expensive? And with a bunch of spergy math?

The spergy math was good, but I could only watch 6 minutes of it. In that time my favourite bit was when he had his hierarchy of hamburger helper flavours, with carefully-measured lacunae to represent discontinued flavours that still have spaces reserved, lest the exiled princes of the hambourgoisie ever return to again bless him.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

CommonShore posted:

The spergy math was good, but I could only watch 6 minutes of it. In that time my favourite bit was when he had his hierarchy of hamburger helper flavours, with carefully-measured lacunae to represent discontinued flavours that still have spaces reserved, lest the exiled princes of the hambourgoisie ever return to again bless him.

You should have kept watching, the box folding part was great.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

CommonShore posted:

Holy gently caress. For all the fun that we make of autism in various gaming threads, that is autism.

BlueGrot posted:

That's really genuine autism.

It's not. He's been diagnosed with incredibly severe OCD, but not autism.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
Oh my god, he said skill-ay instead of skill-et.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

The spergy math made no sense. He gave a preferred hierarchy of fractions, with the best being the lowest (why none lower than the best?), and proceeded to measure things after using that fraction with less precision than the hierarchy. So essentially he could have used any of them and then said "but just more or less do it" and it would have been the same basically.

edit: this lack of rigor sickens and disturbs me

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Skinny King Pimp posted:

Oh my god, he said skill-ay instead of skill-et.

god that cracked me up so hard

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Ugh also I just moved to Madison today. Gonna go so broke eating delicious foods.

:negative:

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Group of friends and I decided that instead of venturing out to a new and good restaurant in NYC, we'd check out something that was famous for the "other" reasons. We ventured out to Guy's American Kitchen & Bar in Times Square.

Upon entering, I'm informed that I am, in fact, entering Flavor Town (tm)

If that wasn't reassuring enough, I quickly glanced around to see this poo poo:

Why yes, I'd love to wear a sweatshirt that would make me want to beat myself up.

ANYWAYS, on to the food. There were seven of us so we decided to order 5 appetizers to start:

Guy-talian Nachos - These weren't nachos. These were 10 tortilla chips absolutely smothered in "food". I couldn't step you exactly what I was eating, how it was Italian or even a nacho. Just a whole lotta "food".
"Awesome" Pretzel Chicken Tenders - These were actually pretty solid fried chicken tenders. Did we actually taste or notice any pretzel flavoring? No. Were they awesome? No.
Ain't No Thang Butta Chicken Wing "Mongolian" - Horrible loving stupid name aside, pretty tasty wings. While too sweet, the flavors were there.

Rhode Island Calamari - Sad sad sad sad. Wobbly, unseasoned and springy calamari with various other friend onions/jalapenos strewn about. They found a way to gently caress up fried calamari.

Vegas Fries - Horrifying. Potato wedges doused in their buffalo sauce with extra bleusabi (quite literally mayo). loving up fries, COME ON.

Got their Caliente Margarita and was severely dissappointed. No heat, no tequila, just a poo poo ton of sugar and cilantro. Horrible and now I'm crashing from the sugar and not the booze.

Buddy and I split two entrees. I got basic St. Louis style ribs with Guy's Signature BBQ sauce and seasoned fries with Crispy Slaw. He got a bacon cheeseburger with mac and cheese on it. Yes. On it.

Looks simple enough, right?

Why the gently caress did I eat as much as of that poo poo as I did? The ribs were dry and tasted like dust. loving dust. The burger was actually kinda decent except for the loving mac and cheese. I was hoping for at least some extra cheesyness from it all. NOPE. Just extremely overcooked macaroni and zero cheese flavor. By the time I took my second bite of the burger, the slaw had soaked through the huge bun.

You see that white GLOP behind the burger? That's the famous Donkey Sauce - it's a loving garlic aioli with a hint of plastic. gently caress that noise. At least the fries were crispy (but seasoned? HELL NAW).

As we finally left, I saw this painted on the wall:

There were no winners with this dinner.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

:barf:

That looks like so loving horrible. Thanks for taking one for the team.

I'm guessing cuz of the location this is also stupid expensive for that slop

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
If you guys wanted to torture yourselves on Times Square you should all have gone to the Carnegie Deli and gotten the "Woody Allen." You could have at least killed yourself with good tasting food.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Why do places use those bright colored tortilla chips?? I bought one bag once in green and gold (PACKERS!) and poo poo green for a couple days.

What is that greasy white stuff at the bottom of the calamari? It looks like minced garlic

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

ascendance posted:

If you guys wanted to torture yourselves on Times Square you should all have gone to the Carnegie Deli and gotten the "Woody Allen." You could have at least killed yourself with good tasting food.

We had to see if the NYT article about it was even close.

It was.

Crusty Nutsack posted:

What is that greasy white stuff at the bottom of the calamari? It looks like minced garlic

I believe it was some sort of pickle relish that had come as a side. It was just sugar.

Good story:

Buddy orders his burger and she takes his order. As she's about to move on to the next person, he asks:

"May I get that cooked medium rare please"

Her response: "I mean, I'll write down medium rare but it's not going to come out like that. More like medium well or well done. Just don't be angry".

This went back and forth and the burger came out medium well. It's not even a policy that they cook all of their burgers to that doneness. They're just incapable of cooking anything below that.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Doh004 posted:

Group of friends and I decided that instead of venturing out to a new and good restaurant in NYC, we'd check out something that was famous for the "other" reasons. We ventured out to Guy's American Kitchen & Bar in Times Square.

Upon entering, I'm informed that I am, in fact, entering Flavor Town (tm)

If that wasn't reassuring enough, I quickly glanced around to see this poo poo:

Why yes, I'd love to wear a sweatshirt that would make me want to beat myself up.

ANYWAYS, on to the food. There were seven of us so we decided to order 5 appetizers to start:

Guy-talian Nachos - These weren't nachos. These were 10 tortilla chips absolutely smothered in "food". I couldn't step you exactly what I was eating, how it was Italian or even a nacho. Just a whole lotta "food".
"Awesome" Pretzel Chicken Tenders - These were actually pretty solid fried chicken tenders. Did we actually taste or notice any pretzel flavoring? No. Were they awesome? No.
Ain't No Thang Butta Chicken Wing "Mongolian" - Horrible loving stupid name aside, pretty tasty wings. While too sweet, the flavors were there.

Rhode Island Calamari - Sad sad sad sad. Wobbly, unseasoned and springy calamari with various other friend onions/jalapenos strewn about. They found a way to gently caress up fried calamari.

Vegas Fries - Horrifying. Potato wedges doused in their buffalo sauce with extra bleusabi (quite literally mayo). loving up fries, COME ON.

Got their Caliente Margarita and was severely dissappointed. No heat, no tequila, just a poo poo ton of sugar and cilantro. Horrible and now I'm crashing from the sugar and not the booze.

Buddy and I split two entrees. I got basic St. Louis style ribs with Guy's Signature BBQ sauce and seasoned fries with Crispy Slaw. He got a bacon cheeseburger with mac and cheese on it. Yes. On it.

Looks simple enough, right?

Why the gently caress did I eat as much as of that poo poo as I did? The ribs were dry and tasted like dust. loving dust. The burger was actually kinda decent except for the loving mac and cheese. I was hoping for at least some extra cheesyness from it all. NOPE. Just extremely overcooked macaroni and zero cheese flavor. By the time I took my second bite of the burger, the slaw had soaked through the huge bun.

You see that white GLOP behind the burger? That's the famous Donkey Sauce - it's a loving garlic aioli with a hint of plastic. gently caress that noise. At least the fries were crispy (but seasoned? HELL NAW).

As we finally left, I saw this painted on the wall:

There were no winners with this dinner.

Doh004, sadly I am not convinced that this was in any way an ironic or exploratory visit to "Guy's American Kitchen & Bar in Times Square".

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Ranch hose optional, but reccomended.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

mindphlux posted:

Doh004, sadly I am not convinced that this was in any way an ironic or exploratory visit to "Guy's American Kitchen & Bar in Times Square".

This would be true if they offered any sort of chickencheese... Sadly they did not ;(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I'll be in Charlotte NC next week for work... any restaurants that I should seek out?