Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

TraderStav posted:

"my dick" pics

or

my "dick pics"

This is important.

Prolly a little a both...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

ThermoPhysical posted:

Lollipop his hilariously broken on the Nexus 4. I just noticed that I can't make ANY calls out at all. Not via Voice or via my carrier number.

Glad I figured this out when I was just trying to call work and not something super super important. :v:

Anyone else here having this issue?

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/nexus/j74JlShhihc

Google has it on low priority in AOSP and someone claims it's on the Nexus 6 as well.
I know 3 people with the 4 and one with the 6. None of them have complained about this.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

TraderStav posted:

"my dick" pics

or

my "dick pics"

This is important.

:golfclap: This is my favorite post

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

bull3964 posted:

It also makes it impossible to easily cycle from Vibrate to Silent with disabling your notifications completely.

The notification is still there in blocking mode, it just doesn't make a sound

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

dissss posted:

The notification is still there in blocking mode, it just doesn't make a sound

Does it light up the notification LED?

Also, Android Wear 5.0 respects the blocking settings. So, setting it to none will not allow the notification to be pushed through to my watch.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 10, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

Lollipop his hilariously broken on the Nexus 4. I just noticed that I can't make ANY calls out at all. Not via Voice or via my carrier number.

Glad I figured this out when I was just trying to call work and not something super super important. :v:

Google has it on low priority in AOSP and someone claims it's on the Nexus 6 as well.
I know a few people with 4s and one with a 6 and never heard about it either. I'm guessing you've reflashed the stock ROM.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LastInLine posted:

I know a few people with 4s and one with a 6 and never heard about it either. I'm guessing you've reflashed the stock ROM.

Yes, I've already flashed the stock ROM, reset it, all of that. I'm pretty sure it's just Lollipop screwing up.

I'll flash back to 4.4.4 if this keeps happening, I guess.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
One thing that drives me absolutely batty about Lollipop and the notifications is when I'm in a Hangout chat, and I hit the volume down button to turn down the notification sound, and it sees Hangouts as a "phone" so I actually lower the ringer :wtc:

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection
I now have an android (droid turbo) for the first time.
Is there any first things to do off the bat, settings to tinker with, stuff to turn off/on etc...?

The only thing I was made aware of by other android toting professionals is that apparently Motorola phones will be updating to a new redone OS version soon.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Bob A Feet posted:

Wireless charging question. Any way to have it not turn on the screen on charger? I hate putting my phone on it in bed and illuminating my entire room.
Vu doesnt turn the screen on for my N5, though the qi pad I have it does. :shrug:

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010

ThermoPhysical posted:

I had this issue with an OTA 5.0 lollipop version. I restarted my phones and it fixed itself a few times before not being able to make phone calls. I was able to receive most calls. I did a fresh install of 5.1 and everything is fine so far, fixed some of the sluggishness i was getting from lollipop too.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

treizebee posted:

Is there any first things to do off the bat, settings to tinker with, stuff to turn off/on etc...?

The only thing I was made aware of by other android toting professionals is that apparently Motorola phones will be updating to a new redone OS version soon.

Nah, just sign into your google account and you're good to go. Your phone should have perfectly sane and reasonable defaults.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yes, I've already flashed the stock ROM, reset it, all of that. I'm pretty sure it's just Lollipop screwing up.

I'll flash back to 4.4.4 if this keeps happening, I guess.

The thread says it is a problem with Google Play Services and is independent of Android version so flashing back will not help (assuming the thread is correct)

bull3964 posted:

Does it light up the notification LED?

Yep, although there is a different issue where the notification LED doesn't reliably light (regardless of mode)

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

Nah, just sign into your google account and you're good to go. Your phone should have perfectly sane and reasonable defaults.

Unless you want to change the bootscreen or something.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

GTJustin posted:

I had this issue with an OTA 5.0 lollipop version. I restarted my phones and it fixed itself a few times before not being able to make phone calls. I was able to receive most calls. I did a fresh install of 5.1 and everything is fine so far, fixed some of the sluggishness i was getting from lollipop too.

I'm running 5.1 and did a flash of it to check and see if it'd work.

dissss posted:

The thread says it is a problem with Google Play Services and is independent of Android version so flashing back will not help (assuming the thread is correct)

Yeah, just noticed that...guess I can use this as an excuse to pick up some burner GSM phone then.

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

treizebee posted:

Disable the Verizon apps.

Configure all the Moto features through the app, they're very useful.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

What is this wizardry?

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

hooah posted:

What is this wizardry?

His uncle works for Google so he gets access to the pre-pre-alpha poo poo.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Should I trade in my Sony Xperia Z for an LG G3? T-Mobile is running a deal on their refurb LG G3. Is it worth an extra $7 a month to upgrade to it? Mainly I've been disappointed withe the camera of the Xperia Z. I have a baby and pictures are important, and I haven't been too impressed with the Z.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Personally I'd look at getting a proper camera.

Something like a second hand Canon S90/95/100 shouldn't cost much and will give you a great deal more flexibility.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

We have a camera already, but it's just more convenient having a decent camera phone.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

treizebee posted:

The Lollipop update will look and act slightly differently yeah, but it's still weeks away. Don't worry about it, despite the issues discussed in this thread.

There are several "so you just got a new Android phone" guides on the internet:
Example 1
Example 2
Example 3

But as others said, the main thing is to just sign into a Google account and make sure your contacts etc. are syncing with that.

Oh and don't listen to anyone who tells you that you need an antivirus on your Android phone. That's only for people who pirate games from shady sites, not normal people who use the Play store. Or a task killer, you don't need one of those either.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Should I trade in my Sony Xperia Z for an LG G3? T-Mobile is running a deal on their refurb LG G3. Is it worth an extra $7 a month to upgrade to it? Mainly I've been disappointed withe the camera of the Xperia Z. I have a baby and pictures are important, and I haven't been too impressed with the Z.

The camera on my G3 is really quite good, the laser autofocus thing maybe isn't as gimmicky as I thought. Upgrade if you're ready for a new phone overall, if you're just wanting a better camera but otherwise still happy with the Z then just carry your point and shoot with you or go along with the camera in the Z. 4k videos of your kid sounds really awesome until you realize your phone is the only thing you can view them on properly.

E: check this out, it'll let you compare the cameras between devices and really let you know if it's worth it.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jan 10, 2015

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Just got my Note 4, are the built in apps for camera, music, and etc good or should I get something else? Also how do I set more than one alarm with just one widget?

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

pandaK posted:

Just got my Note 4, are the built in apps for camera, music, and etc good or should I get something else? Also how do I set more than one alarm with just one widget?

If it's the same music player as the S5, then use it! The only thing I miss from my S5 is the music player.

Variable_H posted:

E: check this out, it'll let you compare the cameras between devices and really let you know if it's worth it.

Thanks! Since it sounds like you own it, how's the front facing camera? The Z is abysmal.

END OF AN ERROR fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jan 10, 2015

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Tiny Lowtax posted:

If it's the same music player as the S5, then use it! The only thing I miss from my S5 is the music player.

Thanks!

Do I use the generic named "Music player" or google play's music player? What's the difference?

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

pandaK posted:

Do I use the generic named "Music player" or google play's music player? What's the difference?

Generic music player is what I used. Google Play Music can stream music off of the cloud that you uploading, while the music player just plays local files.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Thanks! Since it sounds like you own it, how's the front facing camera? The Z is abysmal.

Frankly I could take it or leave it. I don't use front facing cameras often, so it's not a big deal to me.

Back camera in low light

Front camera in low light

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Variable_H posted:

Frankly I could take it or leave it. I don't use front facing cameras often, so it's not a big deal to me.

Back camera in low light

Front camera in low light

Thanks again. What's your job?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Thanks again. What's your job?

I work in emergency management.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Oh what is this bullshit, games that could benefit from using a stylus disable the stylus?!

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Bob A Feet posted:

Wireless charging question. Any way to have it not turn on the screen on charger? I hate putting my phone on it in bed and illuminating my entire room.

This is usually in developer options if I recall.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

This is usually in developer options if I recall.
You're thinking of "Screen on while charging" which means the screen never goes off and the phone doesn't go sleep. There's no way to fiddle with how and when it comes on.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
http://imgur.com/LKjFhIT

http://imgur.com/4mMmkcn
http://imgur.com/jXUPnxx

Some low light images from the note 4. This camera is really good and really fast.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

5436 posted:

Some low light images from the note 4. This camera is really good and really fast.

My first Note 4 had a bum camera, wouldn't focus unless I literally HIT the lens. Like, with my knuckle. Shouldn't have to do that with an $800 phone.

New one works, though, and takes gorgeous pictures.

The light level here was actually quite a bit less than the picture would suggest. Very good image for the phone brightening it up and then taking a still pretty sharp picture.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
Yea all my photos with past cameras wouldn't be viewable. Grainy and dark. Beast camera on the 4.

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie
Sorry, is this where I ask for help with my phone?

I have a HTC One M8 and it won't recognize my SD card. I don't know anything about phones but I tried restarting my phone, updating my phone, taking out the SD card and putting it back in, and finally crying and begging the google overlords for their favor.

That last option provided search results about KitKat having changed how the SD card works with apps and stuff, which I assume is not the problem, because my phone straight up says (in the storage menu) that there is no SD card mounted. All the options are greyed out.

Hope this is the place to ask, I couldn't see any straight up tech support thread anywhere.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Is it formatted? Does it look ok on compooter?

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie

baka kaba posted:

Is it formatted? Does it look ok on compooter?

I assume it's formatted, it used to work just fine and I'm not sure what caused it to stop working fine. If I access the phone while it's plugged to my PC, it only shows internal storage as available, there's no option to go into SD storage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
On my Nexus 6, how do I get the controls to be on the left side of the phone in landscape mode?