Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Those things are horrible shitboxes. It looks like it's been sitting for a long time, so he's probably really adamant about that $1500.
What's with the love stains on the passenger seat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
http://louisville.craigslist.org/tls/4836497278.html

What do you all think about this for a restoration candidate?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Those things are horrible shitboxes. It looks like it's been sitting for a long time, so he's probably really adamant about that $1500.

I'm sure the transaxle in the back seat is not at all ominous either, nope.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

revmoo posted:

Screenshots!

Hmm. I'm sure you could repaint it and a bit of grease and it might be OK. But uh... are you in the wrong thread, maybe?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Well it's on Craigslist :p

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
Love the streamlined shape on that vice. Looks pretty small though and is either missing it's base or meant to be non-adjustable and only has 2 mounting bolts.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Leperflesh posted:

I'm sure the transaxle in the back seat is not at all ominous either, nope.

I like the cable still tied to the front tow hook where someone attempted to move it. Also, the moss (?) on the rims.

What a piece of poo poo

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

One of my neighbors drives one of those shitboxes and I don't have the heart to tell him it's garbage and that I wouldn't trade him for my old rear end Camry with 200k miles. I should keep track of how often he has a rental :v:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Freelancers are the stain of the earth. I would drive a P38 range rover over one any day.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

PCOS Bill posted:

Pictured: The Four Door MX-6 Sedan the Probe is based on

Four door?

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Showroom-clean Civic hatchback priced for cheap and represented by a lone picture has my "this is a fake listing and you know it" meter pegged. But a man can dream :allears:
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/4833249494.html

90s Solo Cup fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jan 10, 2015

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
There are three doors on the other side.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Four door?

If I have to explain it it isn't funny.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

revmoo posted:

If it had the base and locking lugs that it's missing and a decent coat of paint/patina instead of looking like a plumber spilled acid flux all over it, then it would be worth about 80% of what they're asking. Do not buy.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
It's.... unique.:monocle:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/4825887736.html

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I'm going to check this caddy out later today. The owner says it's got a mk1 gti engine and transmission in it. He also said he'd take $1200 for it. I'm guessing that the idle issue is from a vacuum leak. Hopefully no one messed with the CIS adjustments on it. Any reason to not buy a cheap caddy?

I still don't get how people take such terrible and useless pictures.

NinjaTech fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jan 10, 2015

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

That vent where the RHD (or LHD for RHD models) steering wheel goes cracks me up every time.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
With a v8 and a 5 speed it has to be reasonably fun to drive right?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
It's only got about 140hp

E: Actually thought it would be heavier, a quick search says 1370-1500kg. If it's 1370, that's still pretty heavy but might be OK, but if it's loaded with options and 1500kg then it wouldn't be very fun or sprightly at all.
FWIW most cars I had were about 1000-1200kg and 130hp and went alright.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jan 10, 2015

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

NinjaTech posted:

I'm going to check this caddy out later today. The owner says it's got a mk1 gti engine and transmission in it. He also said he'd take $1200 for it. I'm guessing that the idle issue is from a vacuum leak. Hopefully no one messed with the CIS adjustments on it. Any reason to not buy a cheap caddy?

The roof would be my biggest concern. Also don't be drawn in by the GTI engine, it was the main engine in the Scirocco for a few years. That aside have fun. Mk1s are a blast.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

High Protein posted:

That vent where the RHD (or LHD for RHD models) steering wheel goes cracks me up every time.

LMAO I love the gauge cluster. It seriously looks like it was a rack-mount box of instruments that they just picked up from the right side and plopped down on the left side.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I also saw that ad. It looks and sounds like a nightmare waiting to happen.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Viggen bait

http://portland.craigslist.org/yam/cto/4835863154.html

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Wojcigitty posted:

LMAO I love the gauge cluster. It seriously looks like it was a rack-mount box of instruments that they just picked up from the right side and plopped down on the left side.

This is closer than you think. It was intentionally designed this way by British Leyland.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

1500quidporsche posted:

The roof would be my biggest concern. Also don't be drawn in by the GTI engine, it was the main engine in the Scirocco for a few years. That aside have fun. Mk1s are a blast.

Is there a part of the roof that rusts out? I never saw anything on my old Rabbit GTI or mk2 Scirocco. I'm not really drawn by the JH swap, it's just a little bonus having a familiar engine and the 5spd transmission in there.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Wojcigitty posted:

This is pretty typical of british cars.

Prime example, Discoveries and Range Rovers

If you look under the hood you can see the firewall cutouts for where the column would go through and the brake booster/master if it were built with the column on the other side, and if you look underneath there is a mounting spot for the tire rod end on BOTH wheel assemblies, only one of which is used of course. You literally swap a few a few parts around including the wheel/instrument cluster with the airbag inside and replace a FEW few parts that are different (steering box and lines........ I think that might be it) and swap the rest around.

To avoid door locking/power window button changes (cluster of buttons to access all windows customarily on the driver's door) all controls are in the console.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 11, 2015

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

NinjaTech posted:

Is there a part of the roof that rusts out? I never saw anything on my old Rabbit GTI or mk2 Scirocco. I'm not really drawn by the JH swap, it's just a little bonus having a familiar engine and the 5spd transmission in there.

Sunroofs tend to rust and the seals are impossible to replace. Was thinking of the cabriolet for whatever reason. Just make sure the syncro isn't hosed on 2nd or 3rd, reverse gear will probably be chipped, I've yet to see a non rebuilt 020 without one.

Tony quidprano fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 11, 2015

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Motronic posted:

To avoid door locking/power window button changes (cluster of buttons to access all windows customarily on the driver's door) all controls are in the console.

Plus they always seem to use left hand drive stalks which is a particularly lazy touch

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

1500quidporsche posted:

Sunroofs tend to rust and the seals are impossible to replace. Was thinking of the cabriolet for whatever reason. Just make sure the syncro isn't hosed on 2nd or 3rd, reverse gear will probably be chipped, I've yet to see a non rebuilt 020 without one.

Well I picked it up for $1200. There isn't a sunroof or any rust that I could see. The title says it's red and I could see some red paint poking through in the rain gutters. It's weird though since the engine bay is black and looks like it might be factory or had been done a long time ago. It came with an extra MSD coil, pair of mk2 seats, euro style bumper, duckbill spoiler, what looks to be raceland front coilovers, rear drop plates, new ebrake cable, and some various small parts in a box. I didn't get to drive it since it was running super rough when I tried to get it to run. I'm thinking it's probably timing related and off a tooth. Overall I think it was a pretty good price for a cool little pickup.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Motronic posted:

This is pretty typical of british cars. ...

If you look under the hood you can see the firewall cutouts for where the column would go through and the brake booster/master if it were built with the column on the other side, and if you look underneath there is a mounting spot for the tire rod end on BOTH wheel assemblies, only one of which is used of course. You literally swap a few a few parts around including the wheel/instrument cluster with the airbag inside and replace a FEW few parts that are different (steering box and lines........ I think that might be it) and swap the rest around.

Only one? Says who? What's stopping me from having a car with two steering wheels? Apart from the British reliability part, I mean.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Friar Zucchini posted:

Only one? Says who? What's stopping me from having a car with two steering wheels? Apart from the British reliability part, I mean.

I can't think of any reason you couldn't. Hell depending on how far you were willing to go you could rather easily set it up for full control on both sides.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

NinjaTech posted:

The title says it's red and I could see some red paint poking through in the rain gutters. It's weird though since the engine bay is black

Cleaned up the engine bay/removed everything and painted it while they did the engine swap? (I hope I'm not brain farting as I read this and thinking of a different car)

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

NinjaTech posted:

Well I picked it up for $1200. There isn't a sunroof or any rust that I could see. The title says it's red and I could see some red paint poking through in the rain gutters. It's weird though since the engine bay is black and looks like it might be factory or had been done a long time ago. It came with an extra MSD coil, pair of mk2 seats, euro style bumper, duckbill spoiler, what looks to be raceland front coilovers, rear drop plates, new ebrake cable, and some various small parts in a box. I didn't get to drive it since it was running super rough when I tried to get it to run. I'm thinking it's probably timing related and off a tooth. Overall I think it was a pretty good price for a cool little pickup.

$1200 is what I paid for my Scirocco. Mine had somebody hacksaw off part of the springs to lower it which then blew out the suspension, some body kit which I'll never put on and just sits collecting dust, and a relatively rust free body with the original paint color. Engine wise the guy for whatever reason swapped out the JH engine for a JH engine with emissions controls on it, and some transmission with the worst gearing in the world that was noticably heavier than the 020 I put into the car.

I'm losing the battle with the rust to the canadian winters though, I'm probably going to need to learn how to do bodywork this summer. :smithicide:

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 258 days!)

Two, please.

Propaganda Bob
Aug 26, 2006

Not one step backwards!
That'd be a better price if there were two of them, you're right!

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams
Turbo diesel 1984 Golf, real rs watanabe wheels?

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4815326323.html

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
"roll cage"

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Chriskory posted:

Turbo diesel 1984 Golf, real rs watanabe wheels?

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4815326323.html

I want to get all up inside this thing and ride it to my inevitable and violent death.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 258 days!)

Propaganda Bob posted:

That'd be a better price if there were two of them, you're right!

Doesn't it come with the spares car? Drive one a couple blocks until something dies, walk back, take care to others puddle.. Exchange. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

PCOS Bill posted:

Cleaned up the engine bay/removed everything and painted it while they did the engine swap? (I hope I'm not brain farting as I read this and thinking of a different car)

That's what I'm thinking but there aren't any red spots poking through anywhere. It looks light grey under the rain tray. Who really knows what's been done with it over the last 33 years though. I don't care that much about it, just thought it was odd.

1500quidporsche posted:

$1200 is what I paid for my Scirocco. Mine had somebody hacksaw off part of the springs to lower it which then blew out the suspension, some body kit which I'll never put on and just sits collecting dust, and a relatively rust free body with the original paint color. Engine wise the guy for whatever reason swapped out the JH engine for a JH engine with emissions controls on it, and some transmission with the worst gearing in the world that was noticably heavier than the 020 I put into the car.

I'm losing the battle with the rust to the canadian winters though, I'm probably going to need to learn how to do bodywork this summer. :smithicide:

I'm probably just going to go with a stock suspension on it. Maybe some regular lowering springs. The racelands that came on my mk4 golf were pretty terrible and 2 were blown shortly after I got it. Right now I just want to get it running properly. All the timing marks seem to line up. Now I've got to see if it's getting spark. It seemed like it was getting fuel since the plugs were wet when I pulled them out. It got dark by the time I got to that point so I stopped working on it. The only rust I found on the caddy today was on the battery tray. I'll have to address that in the near future.