Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They're taking Peep Show off the US Netflix instant on the 15th. :smith:

Luckily it's short enough to get a full watch in before then at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Finally got round to watching the Anniversary Big Fat Quiz. Think it might have been my favourite so far. Russel Brand was great, and so were Jack Whitehall and Jonathon Ross. Really, they're my three favourite for Big Fat Quiz. Was just missing Richard Ayoade really. Warwick Davis was great as well, hope he does it again.

Also the Dalek was almost as good as Mr. Blobby. Almost.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
I cant loving stand Warwick Davis, he comes off as so fake and fame hungry

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The Big Taff Man posted:

It's weird what's happened to him in the last 4 years or so. I can't tell if it's come from him or if cunts like Ricky Gervais just do that to people.

He contributed less than nothing to that quiz though.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

When one immerses themselves in a persona so completely that it starts to become their actual personality, it is known at "the gervais effect"

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Dicky B posted:

When one immerses themselves in a persona so completely that it starts to become their actual personality, it is known at "the gervais effect"

Kind of amazing that Sacha Baron-Cohen has always seemed to stay totally normal.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Dicky B posted:

Surely it should be "the Johnny Vegas effect", no?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Chocolate Teapot posted:

Surely it should be "the Johnny Vegas effect", no?

That's when you hide alcoholic depression behind a wafer-thin veneer that makes other panelists uncomfortable

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

WeAreTheRomans posted:

That's when you hide alcoholic depression behind a wafer-thin veneer that makes other panelists uncomfortable

Isn't that just life?

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Vegas always seems normal on QI compared to say, 18 stone of idiot or his stage shows.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The Big Taff Man posted:

It seems more like he's desperate for money and hoping to get a bit part in the new star wars movies by raising his profile.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

BSam posted:

Isn't that just life?

Replace panelists with wife and I guess, yeah

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Replace panelists with wife and I guess, yeah

Haha you think I have loved ones, or a wife.

Watching the new Last Leg, Hillsy was very anti terrorist in the wake of the Charlie thing, but I kind of expected him to call the cartoonists dicks to some extent because of the content of the magazine itself.

Still only halfway through however and Dara O'briein has essentially made my point.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Dicky B posted:

Vegas always seems normal on QI compared to say, 18 stone of idiot or his stage shows.

Hasn't he calmed down a lot?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Mr. Squishy posted:

He's on the new series of Open all Hours and is pretty good in it.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Mr. Squishy posted:

IIRC he real life calmed down got healthier stopped drinking so much and became happy with success instead of living his stage persona (an exaggeration of his real self) all the time ... something like that anyway :)

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Harry Hill is back on ITV with a new version of Stars In Their Eyes, with Matthew Kelly making a guest appearance in a sketch, so I assume it's not sticking closely to the 90s format.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Brown Moses posted:

Harry Hill is back on ITV with a new version of Stars In Their Eyes, with Matthew Kelly making a guest appearance in a sketch, so I assume it's not sticking closely to the 90s format.

Nails in my eyes please.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Seaside Loafer posted:

IIRC he real life calmed down got healthier stopped drinking so much and became happy with success instead of living his stage persona (an exaggeration of his real self) all the time ... something like that anyway :)

Like, say, 10 years ago I started noticing him on Radio 4 a lot in documentaries about pottery or dramas about a retarded man sitting on a park bench and I said "good on you Johnny."

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

pentyne posted:

It seems more like he's desperate for money and hoping to get a bit part in the new star wars movies by raising his profile.

I'm fairly sure he has already got a part in it.

To be honest, given the poo poo little people have to put up with when it comes to anything related to show business, I really couldn't hold it against him to self-promote himself into jobs with a semblance of dignity attached to them. He's got kids to feed.

A;so, gently caress Harry Hill. He is not and never was funny. He's a cock in a clownsuit, there for the braying masses to gawp and gurn at while they shovel re-heated Iceland horsepies into their mouths, watching Saturday night ITV. Like cunts.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 10, 2015

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Brown Moses posted:

Tonight Harry, I'm going to be Glenn Miller!
*disappears into mist, never seen again*

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
I saw Matthew Kelly as Pozzo in Waiting for Godot with Ian McKellen and not-Patrick-Stewart. It provided a very strange moment of 'wait, THAT Matthew Kelly?'.

'Tonight, Didi, I'm going to be a metaphor for the ineffability of fate'.

Roobsa
May 1, 2011

The first person on Stars In Their Eyes said "tonight Mathew" instead of "tonight Harry." Genuinely made me laugh. The rest of the show was as immature as TV Burps but it was mildly entertaining.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Harry Hills Stars in their Eyes was an awkward confused mashing together of serious talent show and Harry Hill TV Burp style comedy, a clash of formats that just did not work at all.

ITV are dumb.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Paladinus posted:

To be fair, I didn't find the original too good either. I guess you have to be drunk yourself to fully enjoy it.

The original full show could be hit and miss. But when it worked (Basically the right combination of speaker and drunkeness) it was hilarious. Plus the performances usually helped too. It's such a simple thing to do that I can't believe someone could gently caress it up.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

DaWolfey posted:

Harry Hills Stars in their Eyes was an awkward confused mashing together of serious talent show and Harry Hill TV Burp style comedy, a clash of formats that just did not work at all.

ITV are dumb.
"Serious talent show" is a bit of a stretch. It's always been lighthearted and a bit silly, I don't think the new Harry Hillness of it was really detrimental. Actually I was sort of surprised how good a couple of the acts were, and they were all clearly enjoying themselves and the silliness of it. I thought it was alright

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Dicky B posted:

On that subject, I rewatched 18 Stone of Idiot recently. Everyone in this thread should track it down. True anarchy in TV form. Like, it's as close to "Give him a tiny budget and a dead slot, and ask him to fill it somehow".

Like getting his celebrity guests legit HAMMERED (he manages to talk Ray Winstone into giving him a full-force punch to the jaw).

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

On that subject, I rewatched 18 Stone of Idiot recently. Everyone in this thread should track it down. True anarchy in TV form. Like, it's as close to "Give him a tiny budget and a dead slot, and ask him to fill it somehow".

Like getting his celebrity guests legit HAMMERED (he manages to talk Ray Winstone into giving him a full-force punch to the jaw).

I had a Johnny Vegas DVD that I found in a bargain bin one time and it was just bizarre. He gets bladdered, theres no semblence of a set, but its bizarely watchable

Its called "Whos ready for ice cream" and features some weird scripted side bits, the point being that Vegas has become lazy since being on TV and has to go back to the edinburgh festival to do a show. The show itself is almost classed as an extra.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Roobsa posted:

The first person on Stars In Their Eyes said "tonight Mathew" instead of "tonight Harry." Genuinely made me laugh. The rest of the show was as immature as TV Burps but it was mildly entertaining.

Ha. That sort of works on two levels, because "Matthew" is also Harry's real name.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

The Big Taff Man posted:

I had a Johnny Vegas DVD that I found in a bargain bin one time and it was just bizarre. He gets bladdered, theres no semblence of a set, but its bizarely watchable

Its called "Whos ready for ice cream" and features some weird scripted side bits, the point being that Vegas has become lazy since being on TV and has to go back to the edinburgh festival to do a show. The show itself is almost classed as an extra.

Is that the thing with the swan pate? I legitimately think that was some of the best comedy I've ever seen.

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS

The Big Taff Man posted:

WRFIC is amazing. Directed by Stewart Lee. It's all on YouTube. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBoZQfUDVLA if you like Ideal then it's definitely worth watching.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

pentyne posted:

But he... already has a part?

edit: beat, apparently

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

This advert was just on ITV at 12:30 in the afternoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV4mFpCcyis

Has anyone else seen it? It seems to have gotten past some kind of advertising watchdog.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I watched Iain Stewart's Earth series. I can't stand his face or voice; he reminds me of Wormtail from Harry Poter. And the programme wase educationally lacking.

Basically I want those 5 hours back.

Also I tried to watch How Not to Live Your Life and had to cut loose after 5 minutes.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jan 11, 2015

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Olewithmilk posted:

Has anyone else seen it? It seems to have gotten past some kind of advertising watchdog.

How the gently caress did they get this past Clearcast. That is amazing work.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Best advert 2015 already. Hands down.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I give it three days before an apology is issued after 12 people complain.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Xachariah posted:

But he... already has a part?

edit: beat, apparently

I saw the comedy sketch where he's plays the phone call between him and JJ where Warick loses his mind at being given a chance and tries to keep his cool.

For him, this will make sure him and his family are set for life and more. The other big name actors are just "Yeah, I'd love to have one more chance to play this role" but for Davis he's securing his financial security.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Olewithmilk posted:

I knew I've seen this before. Here's the original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL4lSavSepc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Josh Lyman posted:

Also I tried to watch How Not to Live Your Life and had to cut loose after 5 minutes.

For what its worth, I thought the second and third series of that were much better, primarily because they god rid of the awful hollyoaks actress from the first series. I may just have terrible taste though.