Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sophia posted:

Well I'm not of the faith myself, but I'm adjacent by birth, and the level of militarization / guerrilla insurgence they're alluding to in the disciples (as entirely realistic as it probably was) isn't going to set well with the ones around here. Granted that Christians aren't even close to a same-thinking homogeneous group of people, I think a lot of them will be fine with the stuff having to do with Jesus, but maybe not so much the representation of the early church as some kind of rebel resistance against Rome. But I've been wrong before!

Yeah, I don't know. I'd expect the Christians in my life to absolutely revel in watching the Apostles get all bad rear end PG Spartacus revolutionary on the Romans. As long as the show doesn't get cute with dogma or have Jesus getting laid I'd be shocked if militarizing Peter (aka "The Rock") becomes some major controversy. I'm expecting it to be a very bland PG Spartacus/GoT version that my mom digs and I get bored of 20 minutes in.

But as you said, "Christians" are hardly the homogeneous group people often act like they are so you're probably right that there will be some people who will get pissed off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Sophia posted:

I think a lot of them will be fine with the stuff having to do with Jesus, but maybe not so much the representation of the early church as some kind of rebel resistance against Rome. But I've been wrong before!

To be fair, that's probably kind of historically accurate. The whole reason the Romans offed Jesus was there were a whole lot of Jews agitating for a revolt against the Romans on religious grounds at the time (which actually happened like 30 years after he died), and the original post-Jesus church was basically a Jewish sect.

This is why Jesus was evasive about obedience to the Romans (give unto Caesar etc) and why his entering Jerusalem on a mule while the crowds hail him as the King of Israel is kind of a big serious deal.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Or the second

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
That one did piss a lot of people off.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I really don't care about these shows but drat look how white that jesus is, I would fuckin' love to see a jesus accurately portrayed as a first century middle easterner SOSHULIST that Real America(tm) would pull a gun on before saying hello to.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
Just saw the trailer for Vince Gilligan's new show and I don't think it could be more generic if it tried. I hope it's just a lovely trailer, but I really expected that he would do something original. I doubt he had a shortage of job offers after Breaking Bad ended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9esEjX02m4I

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Eezee posted:

Just saw the trailer for Vince Gilligan's new show and I don't think it could be more generic if it tried. I hope it's just a lovely trailer, but I really expected that he would do something original. I doubt he had a shortage of job offers after Breaking Bad ended.

It's got Ryan O'Reily aka the beeper king, Dewey Crowe and Kumar. I'll give it a few eps.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Eezee posted:

It's got two strikes against it just for being on CBS. I'm going to watch the first episode but I'm not expecting much.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Eezee posted:

Hard pass on that.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I finally watched season 2 of Broadchurch, and uh it was good. Definitely looking forward to the rest of the season.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Just watched the finale of the first season of The Missing. Jesus. I guess it aired over in the UK awhile back, just aired on Starz tonight. Great series if anyone is interested, James Nesbit if fantastic in it.

It was picked up for a second season, each one will focus on a new story.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Eezee posted:

Ooo, that does not look good. But the Dean Winters character seem alright.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

savinhill posted:

I had time to finish the last season of Borgia on Netflix and that poo poo was so good. Never thought I'd get all emotional and poo poo over Cesare Borgia, but Mark Ryder was so amazing as him and the finale did the character so much justice.
How does it compare to Showtime's The Borgias?

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
I know someone else wrote the same thing not so long ago, I think in the old TV Couch Chat. But I'm currently watching The Good Wife for the first time, and just got to episode 15 of season 5. And I really can't believe that happened. I didn't believe it until they showed the body on the hospital bed. After some weak storylines in the third and fourth season I thought the show settled into "good, not great" territory. But every episode in the fifth season has been awesome so far, and now this! It's really impressive. I must appeal to everyone not to pass on the show 'cause it's superficially a lawyer procedural on CBS.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I think Battle Creek looks fine. It's not gonna be the "omg best new show!!!" that everyone seems to expect anything Vince Gilligan touches to be. But it looks like it'll be a fun show.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Eezee posted:

Adding this to the list of police procedurals, I'm not going to watch.

Breaking Bad itself, had decent writing, but the pacing was terribly slow. I only binge watched the show and I almost couldn't get through certain seasons because they were so boring. The finale was great, despite leaving several loose ends. It just wasn't an amazing show; I didn't love the ending. I didn't feel like the final antagonists (the rednecks) were developed enough to actually make them plot worthy. They stole walter's money, but they barely had any air time, so when they got killed, I was just like "oh okay, that didn't really surprise me." The main antagonist, Hank, was killed earlier, so it should have just been about Walter wrapping things up. I seriously doubt he'd have the technical expertise to create a machine that pops out of the trunk, he's a chemist, not an engineer. If he had just threatened the rich people and forced them to give him their money, as a final act of desperation, that would have been perfect. Because it negates everything he stood for, and at the end, all he is is just a petty criminal. But no, they made him kill all rednecks, who nobody really cared about, Jesse got away (or did he because Police know his face, it's not like he'll be able to make it too far), and Walter supposedly dies. It was an okay ending.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Battle Creek is a pilot Gilligan wrote over a decade ago that they dug out of CBS archives because he's a big name now. I don't think he's actually involved in any way?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Bown posted:

Battle Creek is a pilot Gilligan wrote over a decade ago that they dug out of CBS archives because he's a big name now. I don't think he's actually involved in any way?
I thought David Shore was gonna be in charge of it so maybe it'll be a halfway decent procedural.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

All of CW's fall shows have been renewed for another season.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

Deadpool posted:

Hard pass on that.

I'm I the only person in the world who liked Las Vegas?

Yeah probably

DominoDancing posted:

I know someone else wrote the same thing not so long ago, I think in the old TV Couch Chat. But I'm currently watching The Good Wife for the first time, and just got to episode 15 of season 5. And I really can't believe that happened. I didn't believe it until they showed the body on the hospital bed. After some weak storylines in the third and fourth season I thought the show settled into "good, not great" territory. But every episode in the fifth season has been awesome so far, and now this! It's really impressive. I must appeal to everyone not to pass on the show 'cause it's superficially a lawyer procedural on CBS.

If you're going to watch a procedural ever you should definitely pick one on CBS because they have it down to a total science. Even the ones that are dumb (NCIS) are really watchable.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I like the iZombie trailer. Very Veronica Mars.

EDIT: I bet the guy in the "I can't tell people I love" will be as boring and wooden as Duncan in VM and will get dropped as fast.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 11, 2015

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

GreenNight posted:

All of CW's fall shows have been renewed for another season.

YES MORE JANE THE VIRGIN!!!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Megazver posted:

When is that supposed to start anyway?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

When is that supposed to start anyway?

March 17th, moving Supernatural to Wednesdays.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Pisses me off, too. I get that Flash is a more compatible lead-in for iZombie than Arrow but there's already too much TV on Tuesdays.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

hcreight posted:

Pisses me off, too. I get that Flash is a more compatible lead-in for iZombie than Arrow but there's already too much TV on Tuesdays.

Flash, Carter/AoS, Supernatural, IZombie, Face Off and Justified, that's just my Tuesday/Wednesday list

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Eezee posted:

Has Josh Duhamel always been second-tier Timothy Olyphant?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Alan Sepinwall talked to the iZombie people.

Eezee posted:

It doesn't look original but it looks watchable?

Megazver fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 11, 2015

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

They made it specifically to be a "case of the week" type show. I'm not expecting much.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Megazver posted:

David Anders you say? Sold

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Sophia posted:

If you're going to watch a procedural ever you should definitely pick one on CBS because they have it down to a total science. Even the ones that are dumb (NCIS) are really watchable.

Don't believe these lies, NCIS is a really bad show. Unless she is suggesting shows that are so forgettably formulaic that you can tell 90% of what's going to happen in an episode without ever actually watching it.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

CaptainHollywood posted:

I always want Josh Duhamel to do well just because he seems like such a nice guy. One day, maybe.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

ChickenMedium posted:

I always want Josh Duhamel to do well just because he seems like such a nice guy. One day, maybe.

Las Vegas was on the air for like 6 years, he was in the first three Transformers movies, and he's married to Fergie. He's seems to be doing alright, I don't think he's going to have to worry about car payments anytime soon.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CaptainHollywood posted:

Timothy Olyphant used to be second tier Josh Duhamel.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rarity posted:

David Anders you say? Sold

I looked Anders up on Wikipedia fairly recently and I was really surprised to see how young he is. He was, what, 21 when he played Julian Sark?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

How does it compare to Showtime's The Borgias?

It is so much better than Showtime's version in just about every way. One of it's strongest points is it's characters, they just have so much more personality and charisma than the Showtime ones, as well as being better cast. The setting is much better utilized too, with the history, culture, politics and warfare of renaissance Italy and Europe being explored in much greater depth and complexity, and it doesn't feel dumbed-down like the Showtime one did.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Does Rawls do any funny accent?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

Does Rawls do any funny accent?

No, they don't do the everyone having some kind of english accent deal like most historical shows. It takes some getting used to during the first couple of episodes . Rawls popes the gently caress out in the role, he's awesome.

Illuen
Feb 18, 2011

All comedy is derived from fear.
Watching My Husband's Not Gay is literally the most depressing thing I've watched in months. These guys seem simultaneously terrified and enthralled by their "SSA"(same sex attraction), and their wives don't seem to trust them alone for a second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Boogaleeboo posted:

Las Vegas was on the air for like 6 years, he was in the first three Transformers movies, and he's married to Fergie. He's seems to be doing alright, I don't think he's going to have to worry about car payments anytime soon.

By "do well" I mean "do good work."

• Locked thread