Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

mr.capps posted:

You sound like you would like Leonard Cohen.

I would like to recommend Magnetic Fields because Merritt's songwriting sounds like the stuff you are into, but you would probably not be able to get pass his singing voice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1anwxo7H2I

I thought you were my boyfriend does sound like it could be in a musical though.

This is very funny, cause it's like someone with a very deep voice was doing a cover of some song sung by a 17 year old girl pop star as a joke. The mismatch between song and singer is comical. I don't know if that's a mean thing to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I would very much like to see a 17 year old girl pop star sing this song about these two gay dudes.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
wait, you might like belle & sebastian, pretty singing voice, pop like sound.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Asiina posted:

Musicals have this because their songs are almost always about ~feelings~ and I'm okay with people singing their feelings.

Musicals are bad because the acting and emotion are complete artifice, like a fake plastered-on grin. It is the uncanny valley of emotion. It grates like a scraped chalkboard.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of musicals, one of the best albums of last year was Devin Townsend's rock opera "Dark Matters" wherein he is Ziltoid the Omniscient, an alien protector of the human race for the sole reason that he is addicted to caffeine and cannot get coffee anywhere else in the universe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9AcP3VHiak

If you all don't know of Devin Townsend look him up ASAP, especially his stuff from this year. He released a double album of which Dark Matters is the 2nd side - the 1st side is "Sky Blue" which is some really cool atmospheric prog rock/metal. He also released a country rock album under yet another side project called "Casualties of Cool" which is really really different. The guy is a drat musical genius. He used to be play and sing with Steve Vai in the 90s and has released albums under more bands than I can think of.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQTTRIG9-NY

Here is John Darnielle singing a Leonard Cohen song, because capps did not post one after mentioning LC.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
here is a good album from 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkD_1-YtEkY

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Asiina posted:

Real talk, I like songs with emotion in them. Where is sounds like the singer actually gives a poo poo about what they are singing.

Musicals have this because their songs are almost always about ~feelings~ and I'm okay with people singing their feelings.

Nothing will kill a song faster for me than when the singer is completely lifeless and without energy. They don't have to be upbeat, but put a little effort into it.

If you're into ~feelings music,~ go listen to The Life of the World To Come and/or The Sunset Tree. Right now. Sunset Tree is an autobiographical concept album about John Darnielle's relationship with his abusive stepfather, mostly in childhood and adolescence, although the album is bookended by songs about John processing his stepfather's death as well. Life of the World to Come is not an autobiographical album, but it is immensely emotionally powerful, and one of the strongest songs on it is another autobio track, this one about John visiting his mother-in-law on her deathbed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFpQQM1pfUc

If you just don't like John's vocal delivery, this may not work for you, but don't say this dude doesn't give a poo poo about what he's singing.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Okay I really should not have listened to that.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

It is a hard listen, and I'm sorry. It's really good, but I really need to get around to putting the sticky note that reads "WARNING: YOU'LL GET REALLY SAD IF YOU LISTEN TO THIS RECORD" on my copy of Life of the World to Come, because drat.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

Meinberg posted:

Is Clockwork particularly new to Mafia or does he or she have some games under the belt?

Many would argue that I've NEVER played a game of mafia.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Allen Wren posted:

Musicals are bad because the acting and emotion are complete artifice, like a fake plastered-on grin. It is the uncanny valley of emotion. It grates like a scraped chalkboard.

This is incorrect and quite probably because you are listening to the wrong musicals. Songs in musicals are all written as poetry - i.e., the absolute truth of what the character is saying (this goes back to Shakespeare; characters in Shakespeare talk primarily in poetry because they are all speaking exactly how they feel; subtext as a concept in theatre hadn't arrived yet.) Yes in real life characters aren't going to burst into singing and dancing, but in real life we also aren't going to pour our feelings about death and life out to an empty room by saying "To be or not to be" to start.

A character is so overcome with emotion that he has no choice but to sing the truth about it.
Then said character is so overcome with emotion that he has no choice but to dance about how he feels.

^ That's musical theatre.

/end Choral Teacher & Musical Theatre Director rant

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

If you want recent albums with great emotion behind them I would heavily recommend Sun Kil Moon's most recent album, Benji. He's also not the best singer and the lyrics are more stream of thought meandering than polished lyrics at times but it's wonderfully and tragically autobiographical and a pretty hard hitting ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBNdOTu2Wn0

First track there. I actually haven't heard the whole thing (had to stop before the last two tracks) but if you dig it I recommend listening all the way through for full impact.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Also capps we should talk about music sometimes I listen to a ton of poo poo and it sounds like our tastes would overlap~

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I like Pulp

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

I started collecting vinyl again in October and I have a pretty ok size collection now between my old records, new records that I've purchased, dollar records at Savers, and my mom giving me poo poo she doesn't care about.

I've been using Discog's "random item in your collection" lately to listen through my poo poo. Right now it says I need to listen to....

The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Jazz Goes to College

So on to the TT that goes!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

One of the goons on my trivia team is a Pulp superfan. She's lucky she got delayed at work when we went out to karaoke underground last weekend, since there were pretty bad takes on Disco 2000 and Common People back to back, and she'd have frowned so hard.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Asiina posted:

I listen to music from musicals. That's my favourite type of music.

I also genuinely like a good pop song now and then.
I fell in love with Frank Sinatra as a kid cause my brother starred in all of the highschool musicals, and ever since Guys and Dolls I just swooned over Luck Be a Lady

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
My girlfriend likes going to Operas so that's my NEXT STEP in the savvy music world

this belle & sebastian music is p good, I like this. It's like synth and melodies, reminds me of a lesser modern Killers

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Rascyc posted:

My girlfriend likes going to Operas so that's my NEXT STEP in the savvy music world

Listen to some John Cage next~

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Quidnose posted:

Listen to some John Cage next~

##vote quidnose

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Rascyc posted:

belle & sebastian music .... reminds me of a lesser modern Killers

literally trolling now

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
Let me know when one of the two following things happens

a) we start discussing Pearl Jam and how awesome their live shows are or,
b) mafia starts

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Asiina posted:

##vote quidnose

I refrained from voting you when you said your favorite musical was Les Mis, Asiina, don't you tempt me now! :v:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

fiery_valkyrie posted:

I've wanted to see them for quite a while, actually---basically since they played where I was going to college. I was on-campus at the time, but I didn't know that they were playing or that they were a solid live act. The next day, when I come in for my shift at the radio station, everyone's raving about it, apparently they played one of their longest sets ever at that point.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

sounds like you dodged a bullet there, aw.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Quidnose posted:

I refrained from voting you when you said your favorite musical was Les Mis, Asiina, don't you tempt me now! :v:

At least Les Mis contains some actual music.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Also Somber can we get a votecount in the OP

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Asiina posted:

Also Somber can we get a votecount in the OP

Was it too hard to keep track of the current three votes?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Heh. No, though. ##vote f_v

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

Quidnose (1): Asiina
fiery_valkyrie (1): Epsilon Plus
Rascyc (1): Allen Wren

Not Voting (10): Antivehicular, Clockwork Gadget, fiery_valkyrie, Kumbamontu, Meinberg, mr.capps, Pinterest Mom, Quidnose, Rarity, Rascyc

With 13 alive, it's 7 votes to lynch. The current deadline is January 12th, 2015 at 10 p.m. CST -- that's in about 1 day, 22 hours.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
today I saw this movie called Rockie IV and it had a song I liked too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5BL4RNFr58

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Allen Wren posted:

I've wanted to see them for quite a while, actually---basically since they played where I was going to college. I was on-campus at the time, but I didn't know that they were playing or that they were a solid live act. The next day, when I come in for my shift at the radio station, everyone's raving about it, apparently they played one of their longest sets ever at that point.

Their live show's are amazing. Go see them now. Do it! Don't come back to the thread until you've achieved this.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Epsilon Plus posted:

Heh. No, though. ##vote f_v

Get bent.
##vote EP

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Their live show's are amazing. Go see them now. Do it! Don't come back to the thread until you've achieved this.

Set lists from the two shows I saw

http://pearljam.com/setlists/1018/2003/20306/brisbane_entertainment_centre
http://pearljam.com/setlists/1021/2006/20498/brisbane_entertainment_centre

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Is it weird that the only Pearl Jam album I like is their most recent one

I didn't even know the song Mind Your Manners was them the first several times I heard it, I was legitimately shocked when I found out

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Aw I liked them in the 90s. I still listen to Jeremy

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Today I am listening to jazz records! Started with Duke Ellington's Piano Sketches, now I'm listening to Ahmad Jamal Live at Blackhawk. Maybe some Bill Evans next? I'm in a piano jazz mood~

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I really like those Bill Evans records he did with Tony Bennett.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'm not usually much for vocal jazz (the first couple Return to Forever albums are basically the main exception) but Evans could goddamn play.

• Locked thread