Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Tommofork posted:

It's the 1x1 'exhaust' that's loving it up. I just started a new colony (and lucked out with a loving awesome site in hilly arid shrub land that's 40C at night), built a room like that and had the same result until I made a proper exhaust.

Also if you check the temperature of that 1x1 room it's likely 170 C or so :v:

Take the drat roof off the square and it will be fine.

Why would you even try that? Do you not understand how peltier coolers work, or did you think "COOL AIR GOES HERE, HOT AIR COMES HERE"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Sometimes games are not realistic and can be gamed. :ssh: I tried it in my literal first ever Rimworld colony and never again until now just to 100% confirm it was not a good idea and was screwing up neogeo's freezer.

e: special bonus round from the Ideas box, the iron cross defence or babies first defence theorycraft. Take a look at the left arm for the mostly complete design.

The theory: snipers stand in the doorways on the extreme edge and snipe enemies as they come close before falling back through the arm, then take up positions close to the centre. Short range shooters take up doorways close to the entrance on the inside. If colonists get in trouble they just step back through their door and move away. The turrets in the centre shoot stuff up, and after a few moments the second group of turrets that can see down the arm will also engage.

The reality: a very cramped base. Snipers on the edges aren't effective before getting forced back. Shooters and turrets on either side of the arm can't support each other. Centipedes just laugh, bust down a door and go rampaging through one of the squares and are now safe from almost all of the defensive fire. Surprisingly few friendly fire incidents though considering the amount of bullets being hurled down each arm. Colonists in doorways are really hard to dislodge.

Conclusion: a bad loving idea mate don't do it.

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 10, 2015

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Tommofork posted:

Sometimes games are not realistic and can be gamed. :ssh: I tried it in my literal first ever Rimworld colony and never again until now just to 100% confirm it was not a good idea and was screwing up neogeo's freezer.

Well under normal circumstances, sure. But if someone goes to the effort to program in room heat, food spoilage, heat exchange, etc, and you already know that "Oh if I don't keep this room sealed the cold goes elsewhere" (also noted visually by the blue border encircling everything in the AoE), then it follows that the heat exhaust would need somewhere to vent properly.

After one indoor fire the idea of "hot stuff stays hot unless vented" is pretty apparent.

Is anyone using the EBD embrasures mod? I want to use it but I almost feel like given the mechanics of the game it would be too much of a "defenders always win" scenario. At least in DF, high grade archers can shoot through fortifications, but I'm not sure if that's the case here?

Gibbo fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 10, 2015

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Enemies can shoot through embrasures. They just act as walls for mobility reasons. Oh, and I guess they give the shooting at things in cover penalty to hit chance too.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 10, 2015

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Tommofork posted:

It's the 1x1 'exhaust' that's loving it up. I just started a new colony (and lucked out with a loving awesome site in hilly arid shrub land that's 40C at night), built a room like that and had the same result until I made a proper exhaust.

Also if you check the temperature of that 1x1 room it's likely 170 C or so :v:

e: this site is insane. Four steam geysers out in the open and close to the start point, a massive mountain to carve into if you're into that, four narrow choke points to wall off and you get like 80% of the map to yourself.

2nd e: there are rhinos! :3:

world size 200x150, seed jxc6
Colony coordinates 16.00 E 9.60 N, map size 275x275

3rd e: I had an urge to make a patchwork image of the entire site, so I did. http://i.imgur.com/qMpEnSX.jpg

Awesome map, deserves quoting so it's not stuck at the bottom of the page.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Bold Robot posted:

Awesome map, deserves quoting so it's not stuck at the bottom of the page.

Sand!

In the changelog, Tynan said he's pulling the Fertilizer pump in favor of a bigger differentiation between outdoor and Hydro.

Does anyone screw around with modding or know if there's a way to change it so the fertilizer pump will improve soil from normal to rich?

It's probably more than most people would care to do when hydroponics are available, do, but I wouldn't mind being able to chuck bones/bodies/organic matter into a sort of furnace/machine to create a fertilizer item(bonemeal?) which needs to be stored in a hopper attached to a modded pump in order to create rich soil. Less power intensive than hydroponics but more logistically intensive?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Gibbo posted:

Take the drat roof off the square and it will be fine.

Why would you even try that? Do you not understand how peltier coolers work, or did you think "COOL AIR GOES HERE, HOT AIR COMES HERE"

While I understand having to vent the heat, I don't understand how to take the roof off that one square. How do I do that?

EDIT: Trying to apply a no roof zone to that square doesn't allow me to place the zone, by the way.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 10, 2015

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

If it's under a mountain you can't take the roof off.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

How can I raise the loyalty of my prisoners? If I make their prison nicer (beds, floors, plants, etc.) will they be more likely to join me?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

hailthefish posted:

If it's under a mountain you can't take the roof off.

Uh, yeah, i just found that out while googling around. My only other option will be to create a vent via tunnel, which I can technically do, but it'll cut off a section of untapped rock. Welp, guess I have no choice. At least this is my learning base, so ifwhen it goes up in flames, I know I'll have learned something from it.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Bold Robot posted:

How can I raise the loyalty of my prisoners? If I make their prison nicer (beds, floors, plants, etc.) will they be more likely to join me?

If you make their room nicer, that helps. There are also options under the prisoner tab on how to treat them. "Friendly chat" and "Try to recruit" are what you're looking for here. Though do check on their abilities before doing so, I successfully recruited somebody who'd been shot in the head and he moved at about 10% speed from everybody else. I think he'd manage to walk out to the mess hall and eat before the day was finished and it was time to go to bed.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Jet Jaguar posted:

If you make their room nicer, that helps. There are also options under the prisoner tab on how to treat them. "Friendly chat" and "Try to recruit" are what you're looking for here. Though do check on their abilities before doing so, I successfully recruited somebody who'd been shot in the head and he moved at about 10% speed from everybody else. I think he'd manage to walk out to the mess hall and eat before the day was finished and it was time to go to bed.

Yeah, I have the proper options checked, but I've got a couple dudes who have been in prison forever and won't join up. My warden's social is 5, which I guess is okay? I'll try making the prison a little nicer, right now I've got them in sleeping spots instead of actual beds. Are some guys just impossible to convince without a really high-social warden?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Bold Robot posted:

Yeah, I have the proper options checked, but I've got a couple dudes who have been in prison forever and won't join up. My warden's social is 5, which I guess is okay? I'll try making the prison a little nicer, right now I've got them in sleeping spots instead of actual beds. Are some guys just impossible to convince without a really high-social warden?

It should show a chance of recruitment somewhere. Sometimes people are just really hard to recruit and I haven't figured out why.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Thats when you cut off their arms and legs and sell them to the slave trader

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Bold Robot posted:

I think negative moods, such as slept on the floor, do influence the chance to recruit, as does their health, so giving them actual beds, a table and chair and their own large rooms should raise them above the recruitment threshold at which point you'll get a percentage chance mentioned every time an attempt is made. I've never had a prisoner I couldn't recruit at all, although a couple were in the single digits with the lowest 4 percent or something like that. Took a while to get that one.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, does anyone have any idea why my geothermal generator caught fire and exploded? My guess is that it's because it was in a cave, where the only ventilation was a 1 wide hallway leading outside, but could it have also been due to not being hooked up to the power grid? Like, could it have overloaded on too much power and gone up in smoke?

EDIT: Also, I have a prisoner whose currently starving because I can't figure out how to feed him. I got him healed up just fine, but I don't know how to make someone bring him food. I've only got one guy whose even capable of being a warden, but my only option with him is to strip the prisoner.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 11, 2015

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Every now and then a conduit will just randomly explode for no reason. If it happens next to other devices (such as a power generator, but anything flammable really) then they can catch on fire too.

deptstoremook
Jan 12, 2004
my mom got scared and said "you're moving with your Aunt and Uncle in Bel-Air!"

Rorac posted:

Every now and then a conduit will just randomly explode for no reason. If it happens next to other devices (such as a power generator, but anything flammable really) then they can catch on fire too.

Note that this only happens if you (A) use batteries, (B) have electronics exposed to rain (or snow?), (C) let a geothermal generator overheat indoors.

I'd had enough of battery rooms/roofs/explosions/colonists stuck between batteries. So now I solely use wind/geothermal with no batteries, and it's going great.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

neogeo0823 posted:

EDIT: Also, I have a prisoner whose currently starving because I can't figure out how to feed him. I got him healed up just fine, but I don't know how to make someone bring him food. I've only got one guy whose even capable of being a warden, but my only option with him is to strip the prisoner.

Check the prisoner's health tab to see if they have a serious jaw injury.

e: this will stop them from eating until they eventually starve. I'm not sure if it's in vanilla or from a mod, but you may be able to go to the health tab, then operations, and then order dentures to be installed like a surgery.

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 11, 2015

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

deptstoremook posted:

Note that this only happens if you (A) use batteries, (B) have electronics exposed to rain (or snow?), (C) let a geothermal generator overheat indoors.

I'd had enough of battery rooms/roofs/explosions/colonists stuck between batteries. So now I solely use wind/geothermal with no batteries, and it's going great.

So... assuming you have enough power to power everything, there's literally no point in batteries?

Welp, I just saved a whole bunch of early-mid game steel.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Rorac posted:

So... assuming you have enough power to power everything, there's literally no point in batteries?

Only until you can get a good windfarm set up and geothermal. Solar + a few batteries is good for setting up outposts near where you might get raided from with some turrets. That way you arent using main base power + super long power conduits across the whole map.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Tommofork posted:

Check the prisoner's health tab to see if they have a serious jaw injury.

e: this will stop them from eating until they eventually starve. I'm not sure if it's in vanilla or from a mod, but you may be able to go to the health tab, then operations, and then order dentures to be installed like a surgery.

It turns out that I'm not the most observant, and the prisoner had actually eaten, and was slowly losing the starvation affliction they had, which I guess is treated like a disease in this game. Now I have another prisoner that crashed in an escape pod, with a cracked spine, hip, and lots of bruising. I can't seem to get my doctor to visit them for treatment. Is this because there's no bleeding or open wounds? I'm kinda sad to see this person s l o w l y dragging themselves around their cell, especially considering their injuries, but I do see that they are slowly getting better. Except for the crippling pain, they don't seem to be otherwise impaired. So do i just leave this person alone until they heal?

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

neogeo0823 posted:

It turns out that I'm not the most observant, and the prisoner had actually eaten, and was slowly losing the starvation affliction they had, which I guess is treated like a disease in this game. Now I have another prisoner that crashed in an escape pod, with a cracked spine, hip, and lots of bruising. I can't seem to get my doctor to visit them for treatment. Is this because there's no bleeding or open wounds? I'm kinda sad to see this person s l o w l y dragging themselves around their cell, especially considering their injuries, but I do see that they are slowly getting better. Except for the crippling pain, they don't seem to be otherwise impaired. So do i just leave this person alone until they heal?

This is actually one of the things that annoys me a bit in the game, but you can't heal a prisoner if they're currently mobile. You'll have to wait until they're sleeping and then send a doctor to heal them. Alternatively, you can force it by giving them an operation order, and then cancel it once they've been put under. You'll lose 1 medpack, but as they're now unconcious, a doctor should automatically go and heal them.

VVVV
Prisoners don't use medical beds.

Drunk in Space fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 11, 2015

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

neogeo0823 posted:

Do you have an open bed marked as medical? As the fact that they are moving around with such injuries suggests that they dont have a spot to rest.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Drunk in Space posted:

VVVV
Prisoners don't use medical beds.

Yes they can, sorta. You can mark a bed to be both a prisoner bed and a medical bed. Wounded prisoners get taken to the medical bed first, then dragged to a normal prisoner bed once they're treated.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, why is it that I can't build any closer than 6 tiles to the edge of the map? I get not blocking things from spawning in, but I'm trying to build bedrooms and this ruins another two and makes it so I can't even seal up the vent I mined open to expand the A/C system, thus rendering that unusable as well, right at the beginning of a heatwave. Is there any work around for this? I just need to be able to build out to 3 tiles before the edge to make it work, but 6 is way far in.

EDIT: vvv No other DF-like game I've ever played said you couldn't build anything, even walls, 6 tiles in. I'm playing on the biggest medium map, but I've only got 4 people, and labor is time consuming right now. vvv

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 11, 2015

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Play a bigger map next time?

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
that was added in to prevent blocking spawns, yeah. i dont know, off-hand, which file might govern that, but you can mod a lot of things in a text editor. look in a map folder or maybe global settings or something, i bet you can adjust/remove it

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Changing that has a very high likelihood of causing something to crash at some point.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i dunno. it wasn't even a restriction till like a4 or 5? this game is very tinker-friendly, even for a novice. i poked around a little bit and it wasn't anywhere i looked, but a more motivated searcher might find success. ive modded a number of homebrew tweaks over the months

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Are mortars more accurate if I man them with someone with high shooting skill?

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

I had to dig up the graves for food. I arrested, executed, and butchered a colonist who lost a leg in a raider attack. The parkas are made out of human leather.

Do animals ever appear again after you've hunted them all? I'm worried everyone is going to go insane from eating their dead friends.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Animals will be replenished over time but they start at the borders of the map iirc.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Swedish Horror posted:

I had to dig up the graves for food. I arrested, executed, and butchered a colonist who lost a leg in a raider attack. The parkas are made out of human leather.

Do animals ever appear again after you've hunted them all? I'm worried everyone is going to go insane from eating their dead friends.

Uhhh why not just build an enclosed room over soil, stick a sun lamp and a heater in there, and grow potatoes?

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Tommofork posted:

Uhhh why not just build an enclosed room over soil, stick a sun lamp and a heater in there, and grow potatoes?

:ssh:

Let him figure that out.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Tommofork posted:

Most of the area I landed in is surrounded by marshes, so I can't really do that. I have ordered hydroponics basins to be built but I don't think the colonists are going to last long enough for them to be used.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

The game really needs some sort of dredge marsh / create marsh action.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Bridges and other constructions over deep water would be nice too. Now that I'm thinking about it, being able to build boats and go fishing would be really nice on maps bordering the ocean. Which of course opens up the possibility of sea-based raids :black101:

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Generation Internet posted:

Bridges and other constructions over deep water would be nice too. Now that I'm thinking about it, being able to build boats and go fishing would be really nice on maps bordering the ocean. Which of course opens up the possibility of sea-based raids :black101:

It would be nice to have a use for coastal embarks.

But give the man time, I guess. He does want to make a good game, he's just 10 years of dev time behind Toady.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Swedish Horror posted:

Most of the area I landed in is surrounded by marshes, so I can't really do that. I have ordered hydroponics basins to be built but I don't think the colonists are going to last long enough for them to be used.

All those trees to the south/east of your wall are on marshes? Or do trees grow on marshes? Genuinely curious cause I don't know.

P.S. I love your username combined with your colony's story.

Gibbo posted:

The game really needs some sort of dredge marsh / create marsh action.

I'm glad fertilizer pumps are getting the axe, every time I've used them they look like they're doing nothing for ages and just as I'm convinced they're bugged they fart out another piece of good soil. Fuckers don't do anything without an audience. :colbert:

Gibbo posted:

It would be nice to have a use for coastal embarks.

But give the man time, I guess. He does want to make a good game, he's just 10 years of dev time behind Toady.

Hahaha I think the key difference is Tynan is making a game. Toady is making... well whatever dwarf fortress is, it's that first, and a game a long distant second.