Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Slavvy posted:

Wait, what?? Really? Which parts of an e55 amg are shared with a Ford? I've never heard of this.

http://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-sl63-amg-sl65-amg-r230/211741-intercooler-pump-replacement.html
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170-slk-class/1263412-slk32-intercooler-pump-replacement.html

The water to air intercooler pump is interchangable with the one Ford uses and the Ford unit in the last gen SVT cobra is a drop in upgrade.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Throatwarbler posted:

I don't like the Crossfire because I think it looks hideous, but every time this comes up all the shiteaters here start posting hurr durr Chrysler and never have any specifics to back it up.

Mechanically the crossfire was very good, because the R171 SLK it is mechanically identical to was actually also very good, probably the best built MB of that era, and the supercharged AMG model was very fast, the 5 speed AMG speedshift trans revmatched downshifts and would hold gears to redline, even the folding hardtop, which you would think problematic, was actually quite sturdy, and in any case you didn't get that on the Crossfire anyway. The manual transmission probably isn't great though since none of the MB manuals are, and the non-AMG version is pretty slow by modern standards. The only issue I've ever heard anyone having are with the intercooler leaking on the supercharged versions, similar to the issues the E55 AMGs have, but those are quite easy to fix and half the parts are shared with the Ford F150 Lightning and can be bought at a Ford dealership for much less money than a MB dealer.

The one in question is the lovely 3.2 N/A entry level version which is barely more powerful than a four cylinder Accord.

Unless you are somehow in love with the looks it is a car with zero redeeming features.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Spot the horrible mechanical failure!
Apparently the steering linkage failed for my dad on the ride home yesterday. So hellatoe?

:stonk:

Mid/Late 90's Ford truck, I presume? It looks like the inner tie rod pulled itself right out of its adjusting sleeve. I can see the pinch bolt bolt is still there, and I'd like to imagine he had some degree of warning that something wasn't right with the steering before it finally let go. Do you know if/when it's been serviced recently?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Slavvy posted:

Wait, what?? Really? Which parts of an e55 amg are shared with a Ford? I've never heard of this.

"Half the parts" = one specific part - the intercooler pump made by Bosch.

http://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-sl63-amg-sl65-amg-r230/211741-intercooler-pump-replacement.html

Throatwarbler posts :rolleyes:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Goober Peas posted:

"Half the parts" = one specific part - the intercooler pump made by Bosch.

Throatwarbler posts :rolleyes:

Yes, "half the parts" that break, or actually in this case more like "all the parts". I think the intercooler itself leaked too but whatever, I'm not going to track down any more forum posts about a 12 year old car I don't own.

Good work with the selective quoting out of context/not reading the whole post. I'm sorry about that one time I called VWs unreliable garbage or whatever it is you're butthurt about. :ohdear:

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Root Bear posted:

:stonk:

Mid/Late 90's Ford truck, I presume? It looks like the inner tie rod pulled itself right out of its adjusting sleeve. I can see the pinch bolt bolt is still there, and I'd like to imagine he had some degree of warning that something wasn't right with the steering before it finally let go. Do you know if/when it's been serviced recently?

My dad is firmly in the horrible mechanical failures club with that truck. It's a 96 F 250 with the 7.3 turbo diesel. It's had the fan decide to join the radiator, the frame has been cracked in at least 4 different places. It's had new brake lines front to back after they've failed me on three separate occasions. Rust has detached the running boards from the truck permenently. I'm pretty sure the bed is load bearing and structural at this point considering the gate won't open of the truck is even at the slightest of torsional angles. Hes known it needed rods done for a while and have kept deferring it cause what could possibly go wrong. Well now he knows

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
How's the rest of the engine? Our ambulances run either the older 7.3 TD or the new 6.0 TD (E250 vans, E350 boxes, and two E450 bariatric boxes that are sometimes also used to assist beached whales) and they range in year from 1992 to 2013. Most have at least 500k, and some have nearly 2 mil, and the engines themselves are the only semi-reliable things on there, considering the mileage. Sensors let go, gaskets get replaced, transmissions loving LET GO AT THE WORST TIMES IN HILARIOUS FASHIONS WITH CRITICAL PATIENTS, and occasionally frequently wiring harnesses catch fire, but the block and turbos themselves seem to be fine as long as you keep oil in them. Hell, my regular truck a few months back had a turbo that had gone many thousands of miles before I got it (any time it spooled up it was hilarious and very scary), but still took me from Phoenix to El Paso at least twice.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Geirskogul posted:

How's the rest of the engine? Our ambulances run either the older 7.3 TD or the new 6.0 TD (E250 vans, E350 boxes, and two E450 bariatric boxes that are sometimes also used to assist beached whales) and they range in year from 1992 to 2013. Most have at least 500k, and some have nearly 2 mil, and the engines themselves are the only semi-reliable things on there, considering the mileage. Sensors let go, gaskets get replaced, transmissions loving LET GO AT THE WORST TIMES IN HILARIOUS FASHIONS WITH CRITICAL PATIENTS, and occasionally frequently wiring harnesses catch fire, but the block and turbos themselves seem to be fine as long as you keep oil in them. Hell, my regular truck a few months back had a turbo that had gone many thousands of miles before I got it (any time it spooled up it was hilarious and very scary), but still took me from Phoenix to El Paso at least twice.

The engine itself will keep on trooping along without complaints, however you can expect the fuel injection system to randomly stop working (Replaced a failed high pressure oil hose), the waterpump to destabilize and send the radiator fan into the radiator (Draining all fluid), smoking and general malaise, eventual starter troubles, wiring issues, failed fuel line heater killing the fuel pump (Same circuit), oil leaking from every single crevice imaginable. I'm fairly certain that the engine is indeed running on the oil instead of the diesel at times. But the old man is looking at Lariats, Platnums, and KRs so I think he thinks it's time to put the old gal out of her misery.

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jan 11, 2015

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

The Door Frame posted:

That's sheisty as gently caress. Is there anything at all redeemable about GM? Everything I hear, see, and physically work with says that GM should be avoided like the plague
I get that Chrysler and Ford aren't exactly superstars either, but at least they aren't actively malicious. Well, usually aren't

Vw's been doing this for a decade+

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nm posted:

Vw's been doing this for a decade+

And Audi. Categorically on a whole 'nother plane of existence compared to Ford and GM. Everything electronic fucks out all the time, plastics and trim disintegrate shockingly, oil leaks appear as if by magic, random small things break because they're just so poorly designed.

Then they have such massive inter-model differences that it seems like they're entirely different brands, baffling design decisions (B pillar interior cosmetic trim on an RS5 held on with 2x loctited bolts, plastic engine cover held on with 1.5mm wide brittle plastic slivers) and things that break and wear out due to normal use. Things like door handles and wiper stalks and pedals...and seat handles...and pretty much everything you put your hands on in a car.

Ford and GM nowadays just have really cheap cars with one or two (or in the bad cases half a dozen) glaring weaknesses but everything else a relatively normal, placid level of shittyness.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

The engine itself will keep on trooping along without complaints, however you can expect the fuel injection system to randomly stop working (Replaced a failed high pressure oil hose), the waterpump to destabilize and send the radiator fan into the radiator (Draining all fluid), smoking and general malaise, eventual starter troubles, wiring issues, failed fuel line heater killing the fuel pump (Same circuit), oil leaking from every single crevice imaginable. I'm fairly certain that the engine is indeed running on the oil instead of the diesel at times. But the old man is looking at Lariats, Platnums, and KRs so I think he thinks it's time to put the old gal out of her misery.

That drivetrain would be reasonably easy to dump directly into a rust free southern truck with a blown up motor/trans, just sayin'.

I don't know if frames are different 4wd/2wd or diesel/gas on ford fullsizes, but it should be pretty easy to find that out, buy a lovely 500 dollar truck, drag it home, and move everything that made the old one cool over to it.

Oh, and there's a lesson to learn here - when one brake line rots on a salt belt vehicle, replace them all.

I had to learn that one the hard way too.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Slavvy posted:

And Audi. Categorically on a whole 'nother plane of existence compared to Ford and GM. Everything electronic fucks out all the time, plastics and trim disintegrate shockingly, oil leaks appear as if by magic, random small things break because they're just so poorly designed.
The fluids are the most amazing thing. Dexcool for example, ain't poo poo. On VW you have G11, G12, G12+, G12++, and G13. Oh and, for example, if you mix G11 and G12, you buy a new cooling system!
Power steering fluid leaking? What, you wanted to use power steering fluid or at least ATF? gently caress no! To the dealer or random german shop for some fancy loving fluid.
Oil's easy, right? 5w-something and maybe synthetic? Ha, gently caress you!. We have VW 502, 505.01, etc. Your engine fucks up, you better be able to prove you used this fluid or gently caress your warranty. Fun fact: Sometimes your dealer will fill with the wrong oil because they're either cheap or confused. When the W8 came out (a complete gently caress up for other reasons), you could not get the oil needed to run it at the manual OCI in the US (they had a shortened one for some lower VW spec).

ATF? Good news! That's lifetime! Wait, we mean 100k mi! Unless you talk to ZF who made the loving thing or the company that made the OEM fluid, who will tell you either 60k or 75k (this may be B5 specific). Oh and good news! We didn't put a dipstick on it, so there is a stupidly complex way to fill it up. Oh and don't over or underfill it even a little or you're hosed!
Also, we put the transmission drain plug right next to the oil drain plug, so jiffy lube idiots can drain your transmission without even noticing, then overfilling your engine with the cheapest 5w-30 they could find!

The fact that VW didn't make up its own brake fluid or at least doesn't use DOT 5 kind of shocks me. Though audi's fuckery with the bomb in the 90s was close.

nm fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jan 11, 2015

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I can't wait for a manufacturer to use DOT 5 in a normal car.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Godholio posted:

I can't wait for a manufacturer to use DOT 5 in a normal car.
It will be german, but it will be called EFB-62, and will be neon green. Also, if it mixes with DOT-5 it will solidify and if it mixes with DOT 3/5.1, it will eat holes in the master cylinder!
They'll also claim it is lifetime, which is really until the included maintenance runs out.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They'll claim it's lifetime then quietly release a TSB changing it to 20,000 mile which dealerships will promptly ignore.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

All this chat reminds me i can still buy a new lada niva, and probably should.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

nm posted:

W8 Engine

:stare: What.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o09T-yZnt0

Makes no loving sense. WHY. :psyduck:

Why is this better than an ordinary V8.

Vanagoon fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jan 11, 2015

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Vanagoon posted:

Well, the block is half the length - I imagine that could be useful?

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Computer viking posted:

Less length and more girth. Ladies will love it.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Powershift posted:

They'll claim it's lifetime then quietly release a TSB changing it to 20,000 mile which dealerships will promptly ignore.

Just popping in to remind everyone that forums poster Powershift has never made a post in jest. You don't need to come up with your own material when it comes to VW.

The 09G is actually a made in Japan Toyota (Aisin) trans. Even when it's just an off the shelf Camry transmission, VAG will find some way for it to blow up.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Computer viking posted:

The same ingredients built into a shorter, wider package. You know, the plot of Twins.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Throatwarbler posted:

Just popping in to remind everyone that forums poster Powershift has never made a post in jest. You don't need to come up with your own material when it comes to VW.

The 09G is actually a made in Japan Toyota (Aisin) trans. Even when it's just an off the shelf Camry transmission, VAG will find some way for it to blow up.

I got a letter from VW extending the length of the warranty on the center brake light. Why? Because the light is in the spoiler and the only way to change it is to cut the spoiler off the car, fix the light, glue it back to the car, and repaint.

Thanks, VW!

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003
A few years ago I helped a friend with an 04 Malibu try to check the level on his ATF, only to find there's no way to do so. Apparently GM felt that making sure you have enough transmission fluid wasn't a job you should be concerning yourself with. It's somewhat frustrating when conventional car wisdom fails so spectacularly.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

I have an compulsive urge to extend that into a W10, so it actually forms a proper goddamn W shape. :argh: It wouldn't make the block that much bigger!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Uthor posted:

I got a letter from VW extending the length of the warranty on the center brake light. Why? Because the light is in the spoiler and the only way to change it is to cut the spoiler off the car, fix the light, glue it back to the car, and repaint.

Thanks, VW!

What the hell would that cost?

Sounds like having to remove the front fender on the New Beetle in order to change the headlight (do you still have to do that?).

GoodbyeTurtles
Aug 18, 2012

:suezo:

Mister Kingdom posted:

Sounds like having to remove the front fender on the New Beetle in order to change the headlight (do you still have to do that?).

Can confirm, except for most if not all modern VAG cars.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Rorac posted:

I have an compulsive urge to extend that into a W10, so it actually forms a proper goddamn W shape. :argh: It wouldn't make the block that much bigger!

Nah, trim it down to a w4, there's plenty of mopeds that could do with some extra performance but don't have the space.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Mister Kingdom posted:

No idea. I found one guy in the UK say it was £400. He also saved himself the money by breaking the old one into pieces and swapping it out from the outside.
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?PHPSESSID=870cdf369151465294b444e1732bd905&topic=121067.0

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Sometimes these "nightmare maintenance designs" aren't actually all that bad. Like the Audi thing with removing the entire front end to do certain jobs - I had to do the same thing on my friend's A3 when we swapped the engine, and you know what? It was dead easy, and gave us loads more room to work with.

GoodbyeTurtles
Aug 18, 2012

:suezo:

InitialDave posted:

Sometimes these "nightmare maintenance designs" aren't actually all that bad. Like the Audi thing with removing the entire front end to do certain jobs - I had to do the same thing on my friend's A3 when we swapped the engine, and you know what? It was dead easy, and gave us loads more room to work with.

Don't get me wrong, the front end coming off so easily is definitely a good thing. It's just that for a good few jobs, like a headlight for instance, it seems like a lot of hassle for something that'd be easily done with a few bolts in the engine bay on most other cars (well, admittedly less so on more modern cars).

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

InitialDave posted:

From my research before buying, everything on the A3 is easier and it's the least lovely Audi to work with. Every other model is a pile of VAG fuckery.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Mister Kingdom posted:

The Cadillac CTS requires pulling the whole front bumper off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzSnd50oKNw

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

You dont have to take the fender off on a New Beetle to change the headlight. It has a lovely, hard to get to and breaks easily mechanism that slides the unit out the front. It also gets packed with dirt and makes it a huge pain to slide out. Come to think of it taking the fender off is probably easier.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Computer viking posted:

Same reason why most manufacturers go for a v6, even though the straight 6 is superior. V6 is shorter, allows for east-west configuration in smaller cars.

BIG HORNY COW posted:

A few years ago I helped a friend with an 04 Malibu try to check the level on his ATF, only to find there's no way to do so. Apparently GM felt that making sure you have enough transmission fluid wasn't a job you should be concerning yourself with. It's somewhat frustrating when conventional car wisdom fails so spectacularly.
Yeah, Ford Aus have been doing that with the falcon for about 20 years too. Just plain sucks to do trans fluid change without a hoist.
They stated "lifetime" service free gearboxes too, in order to explain away lack of a dipstick for fluid condition/level monitoring. But what they really meant was once 100,000km or warranty runs out it's not our problem. One thing that sucks about them.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 11, 2015

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

totalnewbie posted:

There's basically nothing from Chrysler you should buy. Just don't.

Chryslers aren't reliable, buy VW :vince:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Root Bear posted:

The Cadillac CTS requires pulling the whole front bumper off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzSnd50oKNw

That's hosed up. You should be able to do simple stuff like changing out a light without have to take the damned car apart.

I have a '96 Camry and had to change out the headlight and side marker light assemblies and it was stupidly simple - five bolts, one nut, and one screw. Took me 15 minutes.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Vanagoon posted:

Makes no loving sense. WHY. :psyduck:

It's not better, but it is a good way to get Bentley and Bugatti engine R&D and real-world testing completed on VW's dime. Most manufacturers would use the halo cars as testbeds, but not VW!

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud

nm posted:

ATF? Good news! That's lifetime! Wait, we mean 100k mi! Unless you talk to ZF who made the loving thing or the company that made the OEM fluid, who will tell you either 60k or 75k (this may be B5 specific).

This does fall in line with life being 100,000 km, which I imagine some manufactures still call life of warranty vehicle.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

8ender posted:

From my research before buying, everything on the A3 is easier and it's the least lovely Audi to work with. Every other model is a pile of VAG fuckery.

This is pretty much true.

Fun fact: taking apart the interior on a golf or similar VAG vehicle always starts in the trunk. Want to remove upper b pillar trim? Sorry, it's stuck under the lower trim. Which is stuck under the rear running board. Which is stuck under the trunk forward side panel. Which is stuck under the rear trunk side panel. Which is stuck under the trunk floor and c pillar trims.

It's quite literally an unbroken chain of one panel partly under another all the way back to the boot of the car. The rubbers around the doorframes are installed on the bare sheetmetal shell before all trims and under the hood lining so god help you if you have to take one of those out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Somebody needs to try putting that into an old Saab 96.