Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

uXs posted:

Really? I bought the 'first night' set because I was in a shop and liked how it looked, and it's just fine. Or are you talking about the micro sized sets?

I got that, and I'm actually a little surprised at how fragile it is. It makes several stability sacrifices in order to try to replicate Minecraft's look.
Also, I'm disappointed the creeper's legs are molded in place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I could not care less about Minecraft, but I saw the set at Target with the dragon and three Endermen and it looked pretty rad. And a light-up brick! Not sure what purpose it serves as far as what it's supposed to represent but I love me some light-up bricks.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

My local Toys R Us had a 30% off clearance sale on Galaxy Squad sets and I picked up the Eradicator Mech set for $27. Totally owns. Other TRUs in the area didn't have this going on from what I can tell, but it might be something to look out for.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

ChesterJT posted:

Anyone have some minifigure doubles they'd want to trade? Or take some of these extras off my hand?

Everything is complete and like new except one of the wizards is missing his beard and the stick part of his staff.

Thanks to ChesterJT, I now have four more of the Simpsons minifigure series. Only five left to go. I guess it's time to go feel up some bags, my local Fred Meyer has hundreds of this series.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Anyone have an extra hot dog guy to trade? They're all picked out around here.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Lord and Miller have revealed the first bits of news about The Lego Sequel.

"Well I don't want to give you spoilers but we were really interested in what happens to that boy who's in the meta story in the first movie when he's four years older. When he's an adolescent how does that change his point of view?

"And it's nice to have the characters start in a different place from the first movie. Emmet, for example, was in an existential crisis of having seen another dimension and was questioning the whole point of his existence."

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

pbpancho posted:

Anyone have an extra hot dog guy to trade? They're all picked out around here.

I've got three of them. PM me or email at

sbedsole02 at gmail

Dr. Light
Dec 16, 2006
While everywhere else is sold out, TRU still has some of the Unexpected Gathering Hobbit sets in stock, so I just got one! (Even with the $10 markup...) I can't wait for it to get here.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Pyroclastic posted:

I got that, and I'm actually a little surprised at how fragile it is. It makes several stability sacrifices in order to try to replicate Minecraft's look.
Also, I'm disappointed the creeper's legs are molded in place.

Sacrifices had to be made for the sake of making it look good I guess? :shrug: The Enderman body mold could be useful down the line, though. I can see it having some structural uses in future sets.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

Lord and Miller have revealed the first bits of news about The Lego Sequel.

"Well I don't want to give you spoilers but we were really interested in what happens to that boy who's in the meta story in the first movie when he's four years older. When he's an adolescent how does that change his point of view?

"And it's nice to have the characters start in a different place from the first movie. Emmet, for example, was in an existential crisis of having seen another dimension and was questioning the whole point of his existence."

Jesus. The third movie is going to be about him coming out of his dark age and they'll have quietly made "Lego Fans: The Trilogy".

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I was kind of hoping for a brother/sister squabble where he's trying to protect his space base from a duplo assault.

Then dinnertime comes and mom makes them play nice and they build a city together.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Latest Lego story going around: http://uk.businessinsider.com/lego-future-lab-discovery-about-parents-2015-1

Allegedly US Lego is dumbed down from European Lego, despite no evidence of that at all.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what

smackfu posted:

Latest Lego story going around: http://uk.businessinsider.com/lego-future-lab-discovery-about-parents-2015-1

Allegedly US Lego is dumbed down from European Lego, despite no evidence of that at all.
The linked article there is quite a bit more of an interesting, and much longer read: How Lego Became the Apple of Toys

The quoted section (tiny, by relation to the rest of the article) by businessinsider isn't really fleshed out any further than "yeah there are some differences".

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

smackfu posted:

That is a whole new low in journalism. The article gives no evidence for them to draw conclusions that young adult Europeans are more prepared for life, just complete bullshit "Europeans can has most best, Americans must be more dumber!"

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Voodoo posted:

The linked article there is quite a bit more of an interesting, and much longer read: How Lego Became the Apple of Toys

Yeah, I think they just made up the claim I mentioned about EU vs US sets, since that article seems to be the source for Business Insider and doesn't mention it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
There have been 1 or maybe 2 very nice Euro-only brick assortments over the past couple of years that could be construed as slightly "more advanced" than some (not even all!) of the generic brick buckets and such available in the states. So yes, technically the tiniest of tiny differences does exist. They're obviously not making different versions of the models that make up the remaining 99% of the line, even the smallest and cheapest of which features building techniques more complex than what you could get out of the brick boxes, and 2015's basic brick sets blow away previous assortments in terms of variety of parts.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The original article that is taken from is much more interesting (and covers a lot more topics) and doesn't imply that there is any difference between the sets, just that the future lab people think Americans don't want to have to interact with their kids.

If anything I think it explains the packaging differences, don't euro sets not have the age range and part count? I assume we have that to help people know what their kids can put together on their own.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Euro sets have age but not parts count or a set name. It's a bit odd.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Probably no name since that would mean a different box per country. As for piece count, the only thing I can think of is clearly European kids are smarter and more superior such that they can instantly visualize the whole set and know the piece count just by looking at the box art. Its probably to prevent people from noticing dollar/pound/franc price per piece differences when they travel

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

It's a legal requirement in the US to put the piece count on a puzzle or construction toy, not so in Europe.

The set name not being there is because it would mean separate boxes per country, rather than the multi language ones we have now.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

PriorMarcus posted:

It's a legal requirement in the US to put the piece count on a puzzle or construction toy, not so in Europe.

What the gently caress??

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It's more of a general rule. You have to state how much of something is in a package, and you can use weight, mass, volume, or count.

http://bricks.stackexchange.com/questions/1901/why-does-lego-state-the-number-of-parts-on-us-boxes-but-not-in-europe

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

smackfu posted:

It's more of a general rule. You have to state how much of something is in a package, and you can use weight, mass, volume, or count.

http://bricks.stackexchange.com/questions/1901/why-does-lego-state-the-number-of-parts-on-us-boxes-but-not-in-europe

Ok, I guess that makes sense, the whole bigger mostly empty box thing and I don't think anyone would know what to make of a 16 oz lego toy.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
So, I ordered 3 series 13 minifigs from Lego and (of course) got two of the little woodworker guys. Anybody need him and maybe want to trade for a goblin or something?

Overemotional Robot fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 10, 2015

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I got four of the zoidberg guy, out of 5. I was cross until I realised they make an adorable army. And then I just ordered a hotdog guy off eBay.

Also it turns out you can make the mini AT-AT rear up on its hind legs and that is also adorable. :3:

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Jordanis posted:

Jesus. The third movie is going to be about him coming out of his dark age and they'll have quietly made "Lego Fans: The Trilogy".

Which would be a perfect fit with a kind of Empire/Jedi feel to the second and third movies respectively.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Overemotional Robot posted:

So, I ordered 3 series 13 minifigs from Lego and (of course) got two of the little woodworker guys. Anybody need him and maybe want to trade for a goblin or something?

PM me, I'm looking for him too. Don't have a goblin but have an extra Egyptian and Space Marine guy.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Stopped by Kmart today on the way to a birthday party. Figured I would see if they had the couch set. This was what they had, it was no bueno:(

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

DrChud posted:

Stopped by Kmart today on the way to a birthday party. Figured I would see if they had the couch set. This was what they had, it was no bueno:(

You should've argued for a discount. Some stores in the UK will knock money off products if the packaging is damaged.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I picked up the last Anakin's Custom Jedi Starfighter from my local lego store today. I hadn't realized when I grabbed other sets from this wave that it's based on the original clone wars cartoon and not the 3d thing, so I think it's the first non clone wars series set to have Ventress?

Crazy Pigeon
Nov 2, 2010

PriorMarcus posted:

You should've argued for a discount. Some stores in the UK will knock money off products if the packaging is damaged.

I do this with Wal-Mart. I usually end up standing in line where they sell cigarettes too since there's usually a manager there. Never had any of them say anything back when I asked for a discount and one gave me like 30% off once because we ended up talking about the Lego minifigure series and how I felt through the bags to get the ones I want.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.
Speaking of damaged boxes, my local Lego Store had "The Lonely Mountain" in a somewhat-crushed box for 20% off. It breaks a few of my usual rules about sets I purchase for myself (it doesn't really look like much of anything when assembled, price per piece is kinda insane) but I really wanted Smaug.

I'm in love, I'm not sure if any other Lego dragons have used these two-piece wings, but I love the way they feel. I'd love a Lego Pirates set with sails made of this same rubbery material.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
Those boxes shouldn't even be on the shelf, they should be in the clearance section marked 20-30% off. They have a really bad employee stocking the shelves at that K-Mart.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Lego Scooby Doo this year? Yes please. Hope they have a bunch of "monsters" that turn out to be normal people.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Gorgolflox posted:

They have a really bad employees stocking the shelves at that K-Mart.
Fixed.

McDragon posted:

Lego Scooby Doo this year? Yes please. Hope they have a bunch of "monsters" that turn out to be normal people.
Also, what??

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oops, forgot the link. http://brickset.com/article/13814/scooby-doo-lego

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.
It's based on a new Scooby Doo property, "Be Cool, Scooby Doo"

http://scoobyfan.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/BeCoolScoobyDoo_Gang.jpg

Also some off brand used to have the rights and produced a few sets.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Oh hell I'm so excited for possible Mystery Machine sets but looking at that animation style I guarantee they're gonna just dump those animated faces on a Minifig head and it's gonna look awful.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Do they just do yet another scooby redesign every year now or what? Wasn't one of the ones from a couple years ago supposedly good and / or popular?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

McDragon posted:

Wait what?

Edit: Oh nevermind edits were made. Okay that's weird but okay!