Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

I know this is the advertising thread, but that was the most cynically manipulative thing I've seen on TV in a really long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
That seriously might be the worst commercial I've ever seen.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

muscles like this? posted:

I want to murder everyone in the Geico zoo commercial. As well as everyone involved with making it.

It's probably true though. As in, that probably happens. It's saturated into culture. I'm a middle school teacher, and I was showing a powerpoint about China, in which there was a picture of a Gobi desert camel.

One of my students said, "Ms. Tupping Liberty, you should have done this PowerPoint on Wednesday." Which led to several students doing the "huuuuMP day" thing.

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'

Tupping Liberty posted:

It's probably true though. As in, that probably happens. It's saturated into culture. I'm a middle school teacher, and I was showing a powerpoint about China, in which there was a picture of a Gobi desert camel.

One of my students said, "Ms. Tupping Liberty, you should have done this PowerPoint on Wednesday." Which led to several students doing the "huuuuMP day" thing.

Jeez at least use prezi or something, scrub.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

Glenn_Beckett posted:

Jeez at least use prezi or something, scrub.

I like the look of prezis but I'm way more efficient with powerpoint.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It is the only commercial where I'll actually mute the tv whenever it comes on.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I love all the market speak like "recommitting to their brand statement 'I'm lovin' it'"

Like yeah that's always been a driving factor in their business

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
How many of those were photoshopped?
"Go, Harriet Tubman! The Underground Railroad can pass through these arches!"

Regardless of whether it is or isn't it's inhuman to capitalize off of solidarity like that.

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 11, 2015

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

MrSlam posted:

How many of those were photoshopped?
"Go, Harriet Tubman! The Underground Railroad can pass through these arches!"

Regardless of whether it is or isn't it's inhuman to capitalize off of solidarity like that.

I can see an executive at McDonald's:

"We need to show the community we care. What's in the budget?"

"Above $50. See if you can google some pictures of our signs saying positive things."

"Will do, boss."

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
As if their message wasn't awful enough, they topped it off with a lovely song made even shittier by children singing it

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I'm Lovin It has got to be the worst and most meaningless slogan ever.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

skaboomizzy posted:

I know this is the advertising thread, but that was the most cynically manipulative thing I've seen on TV in a really long time.

Never underestimate the number of people that think that giant faceless corporations truly "care" about their backwater nowheresville community through the medium of advertising boards in front of their business.

Mahoning posted:

I'm Lovin It has got to be the worst and most meaningless slogan ever.

When they started using it I would have never believed that it and the stupid accompanying jingle would be part of a successful decade-long marketing push.

raditts fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 12, 2015

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Those digital signs are just begging to get hacked and/or subverted by pranksters in charge of said signs.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

raditts posted:

Never underestimate the number of people that think that giant faceless corporations truly "care" about their backwater nowheresville community through the medium of advertising boards in front of their business.

Like I could maybe see it from the perspective of a franchise owner or a manager.

Something big just happened around you, and you're trying hard to support the community. We had a local franchise owner who helped donate both coupons and money towards our local high school upgrading it's athletic facilities.

But stuff like the signs, and what I just mentioned are not things McDonalds itself can truly take credit for.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Who the gently caress looks at a mcdonalds and thinks of them as staple in their communities anyway. That would be an incredibly depressing community if it was. God that commercial is so drat awful.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

TontoCorazon posted:

Who the gently caress looks at a mcdonalds and thinks of them as staple in their communities anyway. That would be an incredibly depressing community if it was. God that commercial is so drat awful.

Smalltown_America.txt

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

FuzzySkinner posted:

Like I could maybe see it from the perspective of a franchise owner or a manager.

Something big just happened around you, and you're trying hard to support the community. We had a local franchise owner who helped donate both coupons and money towards our local high school upgrading it's athletic facilities.

But stuff like the signs, and what I just mentioned are not things McDonalds itself can truly take credit for.

That's pretty much it, most of these signs come at a franchise level, and most McDonalds are locally owned. TBH most of them would be kind of endearing if the corporation as a whole wasn't using them to sell hamburgers

That Robox
Mar 15, 2010
I'm sure lovin' the comments on that article:

quote:

McDonald's has gone after the black market and the white market stays away. When I see the broken McDonald's sigh all I think of is Ferguson, riots, protests, looting and murder of policeman.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Maybe they should actually pay their workers before trying to convince everybody how much they care about the community.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

rotinaj posted:

Smalltown_America.txt

Yep.

Vicas posted:

That's pretty much it, most of these signs come at a franchise level, and most McDonalds are locally owned. TBH most of them would be kind of endearing if the corporation as a whole wasn't using them to sell hamburgers

Well, absolutely.

I felt kind of :unsmith: on that level because it kind of showed those people trying to do their best to push through tough times. Indeed, your local McDonalds is a part of the community, but it's purely because of the franchise owner, and it's employees. The multi-national corporation is kind of irrelevant in this situation.

Parasol Prophet posted:

Maybe they should actually pay their workers before trying to convince everybody how much they care about the community.

This too.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Parasol Prophet posted:

They gave them a budget (without rent/mortgage in it). What more do you want?

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

PaganGoatPants posted:

They gave them a budget (without rent/mortgage in it). What more do you want?

The budget did have rent! (Also an assumed second job, and health insurance that costs $20 a month)

What it didn't include was heating.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Vicas posted:

Yeah, my initial reaction was :unsmith: on a sign to sign level, and then I kinda went "...wait a loving second. gently caress you, McDonald's."

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Parasol Prophet posted:

The budget did have rent! (Also an assumed second job, and health insurance that costs $20 a month)

What it didn't include was logic and honesty.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I figured that was a given.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme

Parasol Prophet posted:

Similar in vein, that whenever McDonalds, or any large corporation donates to some charity or worthy cause, they then spend more advertising dollars announcing to the world how benevolent, loving, and caring they are, than the actual dollar amount that they donated to said cause.

Also: how many of those signs are staged/made just for this campaign?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
This commercial sucks. At least everyone in the car ignores this fucker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpqbam6NMPw

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

TontoCorazon posted:

McDonald's is not a civic cornerstone of my community. It is where I sometimes drive-thru to buy salty crap to shovel into my food-hole.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Parasol Prophet posted:

My health insurance is like 1200% higher per month than McDonalds' projections heh.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Every time that McDonald's ad is exposed to a new market, my Twitter feed is full of "OMG this sucks" comments.

I thought the "We'll never be good for you" ads were in bad taste, but that sign-filled schmaltz bullshit ad takes the prize for the year, and it's only 11 days in.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
In The Arms of the Angels begins to play

"In the wake of Hurricane Katrina McDonald's handed out thousands of Big Macs, Quarter Pounders, and small fries to hungry refugees. Thanks McDonalds. We are lovin' you..."

Cue footage of devastated families being handed McDonalds bags by the National Guard, but mostly black and white photos of fast food.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
"Two all-beef patties special sauce lettuce cheese pickles onions on a sesame seed bun."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izQsgE0L450

*still photos slowly scrolling by of the D-Day invasion, the Arch Deluxe, the Korean War, the McDLT, the Tet Offensive, McSalad Shakers, the Challenger disaster, Crystal Pepsi, 9/11 and New Coke*

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme

MrSlam posted:

In The Arms of the Angels begins to play

"In the wake of Hurricane Katrina McDonald's handed out thousands of Big Macs, Quarter Pounders, and small fries to hungry refugees. Thanks McDonalds. We are lovin' you..."

Cue footage of devastated families being handed McDonalds bags by the National Guard, but mostly black and white photos of fast food.

They gave that food away, because it was going to more than likely not be sold. If your house just got flattened by a hurricane, you are not thinking " This is a great time to go get a McFlurry and a happy meal for the kids"

McDonalds corporate thinking: "Hmmm. Our franchises on the Gulf Coast are not going to be doing much business in the near future. Instead of shipping the products that are currently there to other areas of the country that were not hit by Katrina (because that would be too expensive. We already paid to ship those burgers there. Why pay again to have them shipped somewhere else), let's show everyone how generous we are by feeding the people who were affected by this disaster.

!!-DON'T GIVE AWAY ANY FOOD UNTIL THE FILM CREW ARRIVES-!!

Pierce and Pierce
Jul 1, 2007
Murders and Executions
Select Quote :argh:

"CJ is 41, he quit smoking in the past year. Now watch as he gives the creepiest stare EVER at the little boy sitting next to him."

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cage posted:

Thread title didnt specifically say TV ads.

I got an apartment 7 years ago. I signed up for DirecTV for one day, realized it was pretty lovely and canceled the next day. Ever since then I've been getting a letter from them, roughly once every two months. Its not a standard envelope, its greeting card sized and has no DirectTV logos. It even has a handwritten font to make it look like its from a person, not a corporation. Open it up and its just DirecTV pamphlets asking me to come back.

loving one day I was signed up.

My cable company does this with me because I only have internet through them.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

It didn't take long for someone to remake the terrible new McDonald's ad.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

hahahaha the story behind that very first picture of the ad is beautiful, pro click

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

HUG THOSE DADS

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

This is the proest of pro clicks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

If it wasn't for Wayfair commercials, this would easily be the whitest commercial on TV.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nODAfxSEEus