Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

e: Quoting because new page.

Blaze Dragon posted:

:hfive:

If anyone hasn't listened to them, the Latin American songs are really, really good. Here, I'll link you to them, it was really nice to hear them back again myself too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=565i1ZMak4A

Intertrack mexican dub 4 lyf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Blaze Dragon posted:

If anyone hasn't listened to them, the Latin American songs are really, really good. Here, I'll link you to them, it was really nice to hear them back again myself too!

Oh man, such a great trip down the memory lane :allears:

Nothing will ever top hearing loving Rick Hunter or Seiya as Impmon :v:

I really hope Tri gets a dub equally fantastic eventually.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Endorph posted:

on the other hand HEY DIGIMON HEY DIGMON

CHAMPIONS OF THE DIGITAL WORLD

HEY DIGIMON HEY DIGIMON

MONSTER FRIENDS TO THE BOYS AND GIRLS

That song was poo poo, but the theme song was boss. The later series' dubs not using it (is it a rights thing?) is a tragedy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Red Bones posted:

That song was poo poo, but the theme song was boss. The later series' dubs not using it (is it a rights thing?) is a tragedy.
It's not a rights thing, it's that the Latin dub was made independent of the US one, directly from the source material. They adapted from Japanese > Spanish, not Japanese > English > Spanish.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
I have an odd affection for the german versions of the songs, though I can understand them about as well as the japanese ones.

Re: Rival duo centricism, the likely answer to me would be that's its because its a trope present in shonen in general. The main character gets to be amazingly powerful because, well, main character, whilst the rival character is also given that in order to keep up and seem like a worthy counterpart. The problem for digimon though is that such a setup largely goes against the overall format - where all the main cast are supposed to be special/the chosen ones/whatever, and for the majority of a given show, will have their shot and (typically) end each arc on an equal footing - so it ends up just jarring then when parts of the group start getting excluded later on.

Edit: ^ I think they mean from Frontier onwards in english, in which case, could be. I mean, Disney weren't able to get the rights for the original Power Rangers theme for Operation Overdrive despite otherwise owning the franchise, so could be down to the transition.

Astro Nut fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 6, 2015

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

on the other hand HEY DIGIMON HEY DIGMON

CHAMPIONS OF THE DIGITAL WORLD

HEY DIGIMON HEY DIGIMON

MONSTER FRIENDS TO THE BOYS AND GIRLS

i own the soundtrack for the digimon movie and i listen to it semi frequently, for the same reason i listen to sonic adventure 2's soundtrack (it owns). also you got the lyrics backwards

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Blaze Dragon posted:

Hey, I was doing stuff, now I gotta listen to this whole thing, darn nostalgia!

Interesting bit, Data Squad was adapted mostly from the English version but they dubbed the Japanese ending theme for it.

Thundersword238
Oct 15, 2012

I am shocked more people don't remember the episode of 02 where Kairi is almost forced to marry Digimon Cthulu, because seriously, what the gently caress was up with that one.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Thundersword238 posted:

I am shocked more people don't remember the episode of 02 where Kairi is almost forced to marry Digimon Cthulu, because seriously, what the gently caress was up with that one.

Honestly I think people do remember it, it's just that even among a disjointed, confused season Chiaki J Konaka Presents "The Digi-Shadow Over Innsmouth" feels supremely out of place. And it was weirder than that, the Deep Ones imply they wanted Hikari to raise a generation to fight against both Digi-Cthulhu and allegedly the Digimon Kaiser. Though of course that entire episode is so cryptic and so disconnected from the season and the source of this information so incredibly questionable it's totally unclear what was going on there. I mean besides the obvious, they gave Konaka creative control and he went full Lovecraft, and they never gave it back until the next season.

One nice thing I noticed from that episode? In one scene there's a sign in the background that literally says "Innsmouth" in digiscript.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
And yet it's easily one of the better episodes from that mess.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Oh my gosh, I had no idea there were so many fans of digimon on the forums! :haw:

Watched the anime religiously up to about halfway through Savers. Tamers is my favourite , i've watched it about 50 times.
Never played any of the games, but this was mostly due to their availability at the time. If I could have, I definitely would have checked them out though.

Never touched the manga series before but i'm reading V-tamer right now and loving it. :dance:

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Thundersword238 posted:

That drove me crazy, because they set up that whole subplot and then just sort of forgot about it :argh:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Think of it more like literally the video Too Many Cooks. Chiaki was brought in, did his part of the broth and nobody bothered to build up on that 'till it was brought up for a little bit a while before the end.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

After which they gave him an entire series in Tamers, at which point he created an incredibly elaborate backstory that even made the adults in the series important and interesting.

Basically I want more Digimon series like that.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Think of it more like literally the video Too Many Cooks. Chiaki was brought in, did his part of the broth and nobody bothered to build up on that 'till it was brought up for a little bit a while before the end.

Actually the Dark World is brought up relatively frequently as a plot point throughout 02, in fact I'd honestly call it the writer's favorite plot device for the entire post-Kaiser show. It's just used pretty badly all around. It's randomly referred to about halfway through the series when there's randomly that big pile of evil in the Kaiser's crashed base, it's there in Ken's backstory, there's the episode introducing Sylphimon where Hikari and Miyako inexplicably fall into it, and it was the plot device they shoved Demon into because the 02 team had that huge problem with them sucking. Notably every later appearance of the Dark World bears no connection with the weird Cthulhu vibes in the initial episode, and each subsequent appearance seems to rewrite the rules on what it is or how it works. As far as I can tell every single writer had their own idea about it, and none of the twains would meet.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It could have been cool foreshadowing for later stuff. It felt like that season was marred by a lot of compromise.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

To me it always seemed like the Dark World/World of Darkness was meant to basically be the digimon equivalent of hell, since such a concept is otherwise lacking in a setting where one is either reincarnated or just permanently gone, and yet still borrows a heap of stuff from Abrahamic lore. It certainly fits a (broad) description: A place far removed from the light, with the power (and seeming drive) to corrupt goodness, and failing that, drag them right in. It even fits in the 'hell is a prison' motif at one point, with Demon having been thrown into it because its otherwise so disconnected that he wouldn't make a comeback any time soon.

Heck, maybe that's what Tri will be about.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I hope Tri actually takes a lot of cool ideas from the original Digimon and runs with them, instead of banking on nostalgia taking care of everything.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Tamers was pretty fair about it, Guilmon's final power up with the dead spaceship didn't seem that much stronger than most megas, and the main three kids got the mega form, some rival dude that didn't show up often got it and the broody edgy 'mon got it as well, just people that didn't get digimon 'till halfway through the series missed out on Mega.

Then Frontier was the worst about it when the second-to-last power up actually required goggles kid and broody rival to actively steal all power from the rest of the gang to fight.

A bit far back in the thread, but my inner Digimon nerd wants me to mention that the very last kid in Tamers to get a partner (not counting Impmon's twins) got a mega as well who actually did something vital to the plot. Tamers was pretty good about spreading the wealth.

Digimon was my first real fandom so I'm thrilled to see a thread devoted to it. It'll be interesting to see if Tri is any good. Did they manage to get all the original VAs back?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Some info from tri has appeared in the Otomedia issue from February. Quoting Bokutachi no Digital World (with some grammar corrections):

"The 8 chosen children will meet at the beginning of the story, the hint for the new anime in overall is hidden in the monologue at the end of last episode of Digimon Adventure 02. How to fix the issues between Digimon and humans when they are quickly getting closer?"

It's definitely an interesting premise, I hope that it delivers. I'm quite a bit more interested in tri now than before.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I pray there's some sort of Savers crossover. That show was too good for the dub it got.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I want the first ambassador to the Digital World to be just some random politician, and the first ambassador to the real world to be like loving Cyberdramon, in a well tailored suit, trying to fit into elevators and poo poo.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kurui Reiten posted:

I want the first ambassador to the Digital World to be just some random politician, and the first ambassador to the real world to be like loving Cyberdramon, in a well tailored suit, trying to fit into elevators and poo poo.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Some info from tri has appeared in the Otomedia issue from February. Quoting Bokutachi no Digital World (with some grammar corrections):

"The 8 chosen children will meet at the beginning of the story, the hint for the new anime in overall is hidden in the monologue at the end of last episode of Digimon Adventure 02. How to fix the issues between Digimon and humans when they are quickly getting closer?"

It's definitely an interesting premise, I hope that it delivers. I'm quite a bit more interested in tri now than before.

That sounds like an interquel then - or at least, based in that kind of time period. But yeah, its the easiest and most logical plot idea to come up with out of the whole scenario, since you've got creatures that can one minute look like a stuffed toy, and then the next, can look like a giant monster capable of levelling a metropolitan area. Its basically the scenario that Hypnos tried to avoid the entire time in Tamers.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Tamers was pretty fair about it, Guilmon's final power up with the dead spaceship didn't seem that much stronger than most megas, and the main three kids got the mega form, some rival dude that didn't show up often got it and the broody edgy 'mon got it as well, just people that didn't get digimon 'till halfway through the series missed out on Mega.

Except the kid that got a fully evoloved MarineAngemon straight up.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Rudoku posted:

That always bothered me as a kid. Who cares about all this fusing with your Digimon. This kid has a mega right here 24/7.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Probably because no one looks at it and goes "oh yeah that could totally take on all these giant armored dinosaurs and jet wolves"

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I had to google it and it looks super lame.

Abitha Denton
Jan 10, 2012

Squallege posted:

I had to google it and it looks super lame.

Its attacks are giant hearts. It is the best digimon.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Abitha Denton posted:

Its attacks are giant hearts. It is the best digimon.

And it can scare off heartless villains through its cuteness and love. Kenta really got the best partner. Good things come to those who wait, I guess.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Rudoku posted:

Didn't include him since he didn't get to do all that much, but yeah, that was awesome.

Kurui Reiten posted:

I was thinking of something more serious with our modern society's struggles relating to technology being augmented by Digimons (like, say, when trying to fight back against oppressing police force not only would people make stuff viral among all that have digivices they'd rally with actual digimons to fight back that injustice, and companies trying to make people distrust digimons and all that communication and easy travelling they provide while other companies try to make digimons a way to earn money) but gently caress that, Shenglongmon with dress pants duct taped to him as he floats outside the ONU with his head sticking into the building.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Didn't include him since he didn't get to do all that much, but yeah, that was awesome.

I was thinking of something more serious with our modern society's struggles relating to technology being augmented by Digimons (like, say, when trying to fight back against oppressing police force not only would people make stuff viral among all that have digivices they'd rally with actual digimons to fight back that injustice, and companies trying to make people distrust digimons and all that communication and easy travelling they provide while other companies try to make digimons a way to earn money) but gently caress that, Shenglongmon with dress pants duct taped to him as he floats outside the ONU with his head sticking into the building.

Another aspect of this, used somewhat for Savers, could be the notion of the Digimon reacting to potential human colonisation of the Digital World. Like, its easy to tolerate a dozen kids running around every few years, but suddenly there's several million humans who might decide they want a prime piece of real estate on File Island.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

True, the digimon side's reaction could be a lot of a culture threatened to be colonized. Also therefor in contrast to digimon trying to be ambassador would be a human having to wear asymmetrical pants, ripped shirt and strap knives and guns over his body to truly blend in.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Hahahaha that would be amazing.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I started rewatching Savers because I want to watch Digimon get punched.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Tri wont have an Arisawa OST or Hosoda forcing a Bolero motif everywhere, so its clearly already dead.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Nahxela posted:

I started rewatching Savers because I want to watch Digimon get punched.

I miss Savers.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I miss the time when Toei gave at least half a poo poo about any anime that wasn't called Pretty Cure.

Seriously though, after World Trigger and SMC, my expectations for Tri practically nonexistent.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

I miss the time when Toei gave at least half a poo poo about any anime that wasn't called Pretty Cure.

Seriously though, after World Trigger and SMC, my expectations for Tri practically nonexistent.

why do you think they give a poo poo about precure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
They at least seem to vaguely try with Precure.

Last time I looked at World Trigger it I stopped at the OP cuz was a godamn slideshow.