Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I haven't listened to the newest Hardcore History, but does it cover things like the Arab revolt and things like that? A while back I read Lawrence in Arabia and really enjoyed it (slightly fawning portrayal of TE Lawrence aside), and I'd like to hear him go in-depth on that aspect of WWI. As much as I've enjoyed the Blueprint for Armageddon series, at this point I'm waiting for Carlin to get back to one-offs about lesser known events like the Muenster Rebellion. As much as I love these sweeping series on WWI, The Mongols, and The Roman Republic, they're released over the span of a year or more and I like getting totally different topics covered every few months on the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I haven't listened to the newest Hardcore History, but does it cover things like the Arab revolt and things like that? A while back I read Lawrence in Arabia and really enjoyed it (slightly fawning portrayal of TE Lawrence aside), and I'd like to hear him go in-depth on that aspect of WWI. As much as I've enjoyed the Blueprint for Armageddon series, at this point I'm waiting for Carlin to get back to one-offs about lesser known events like the Muenster Rebellion. As much as I love these sweeping series on WWI, The Mongols, and The Roman Republic, they're released over the span of a year or more and I like getting totally different topics covered every few months on the show.
Nah, as far as I recall he hasn't really touched a whole lot on the Middle Eastern situation. I seem to remember he touched on Gallipoli in an episode and spent some time talking about the Turks vs. Russians? There are so many months between the parts that I might've forgotten though. I assume he'll probably at least kind of touch on the Arabs and Lawrence in some future episode (though who knows how many parts are left?).

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Al-Jazeera TV channel is running a series called "World War One Through Arab Ayes" that focuses on the middle east. It's a 3 part series but I haven't watched the two parts that have recorded yet, waiting on the 3rd. It looks pretty good though.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!

MeatwadIsGod posted:

He hasn't yet, but he mentioned at the end of this one that he intends to at least touch on it. His apparent issue is that World War I is one of those many topics that has the potential to sprawl massively, hence why he's focusing on the Western Front, America, and Russia just to ensure that the episodes will actually come out.

That said, he dove through most of 1917 this episode, so I'll wager there's only 2-3 episodes left, depending on if he intends to discuss post-war negotiations in any substantial detail (I'd wager not).

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

I can't imagine him glossing over Skyes-Picot considering what an effect that has had on the modern world. That's the kind of present day connection I imagine Carlin loves.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Maduo posted:

I can't imagine him glossing over Skyes-Picot considering what an effect that has had on the modern world. That's the kind of present day connection I imagine Carlin loves.

Yeah I could see like half an episode devoted to Skyes-Picot.

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys
Has anyone listened to the first Invisibilia podcast? It's made by Lulu Miller (Radiolab) and Alix Spiegel (This American Life, among others), and focuses on "invisible forces that control human behavior - ideas, beliefs, assumptions and emotions." The first podcast obviously draws pretty heavily on Radiolab, which is pretty polarising around here, but I liked it. It's a bit fluffy, but well produced and had some interesting stories. Definitely something I'll be following as more episodes come out.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Has anyone in here stumped for The Partially Examined Life yet? It's a podcast by three philosophy Ph.D.s who abandoned academia for other work and now discuss a different text each week. It's a great way to get some grounding in important texts you've never read, and the guys have a very charitable approach to everything they read that's almost the complete opposite of all the philosophy courses I had in school. They do get pissed off at what they read sometimes, though, and are pretty good at ripping the poo poo out of people who have been dead 300 years if the writing gets pretentious.

It's drier than something from NPR but far livelier than the Great Courses or BBC educational stuff. Joe Bob says check it out.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Jack Gladney posted:

Has anyone in here stumped for The Partially Examined Life yet? It's a podcast by three philosophy Ph.D.s who abandoned academia for other work and now discuss a different text each week. It's a great way to get some grounding in important texts you've never read, and the guys have a very charitable approach to everything they read that's almost the complete opposite of all the philosophy courses I had in school. They do get pissed off at what they read sometimes, though, and are pretty good at ripping the poo poo out of people who have been dead 300 years if the writing gets pretentious.

It's drier than something from NPR but far livelier than the Great Courses or BBC educational stuff. Joe Bob says check it out.

Seconded. PEL is fantastic. The accompanying blog is good too, and ahead of their discussions they post the material they'll cover so that if you're interested you can review it before listening to the podcast.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Gyges posted:

He was a racist at a time when the Klan was near the height of its power. Huge, popular, parades and membership being a social plus.

Just because TR and Taft were less racist doesn't make Wilson out of sync with society at the time.

You could say the same thing about Hitler. Dude got over 30% of the vote and came to power legally

Echo Chamber posted:

Switching gears, maybe it's just me seeing "South Park Republicans" or "Truth in the middle" thrown out way too often in D&D and TVIV, but I'm often getting tired of hearing it. Or it becomes quick way for people to shut down conversations. Yeah, I find the politics of South Park mostly grating at its most spineless moments. I just think charges of "false equivalences" gets thrown around way too often on non-South Park things when people try to make some sort of nuanced point on tribalism or human nature. Also shouting "South Park!" is often used on people who for good reason really don't want to pick their poison. (And to South Park's credit; it's far from the most irritating popular cartoon.) I didn't listen to the podcast in question, though. I'll take people's word for it that it's annoyingly South Park-ish in the most conventional way.

Dan Carlin, Trey Parker, and Matt stone all have lovely political opinions, and while they don't always infect the majority of their work, they sometimes do

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 16, 2015

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

icantfindaname posted:

You could say the same thing about Hitler. Dude got over 30% of the vote and came to power legally

Sure, I mean you'd have to ignore everything they did other than being racist, but yeah, Hitler is just like Wilson. Also Wilson didn't use the burning of the capital building to use emergency powers to arrest Republicans and drive them from the legislature in order to actually gain control of the government. Total peas in a pod though. Them and Washington.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Are you saying Hitler was out of sync with his society or that his views were unusual for the time? That's what you said about Wilson. It's just as true for both of them. You can't use "well they're a product of their time" to deflect arguments that their time, and their society was unambiguously evil.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

icantfindaname posted:

Are you saying Hitler was out of sync with his society or that his views were unusual for the time? That's what you said about Wilson. It's just as true for both of them. You can't use "well they're a product of their time" to deflect arguments that their time, and their society was unambiguously evil.

Hitler was the guy your average antisemite would look at and say that's a bit much. Wilson seems to have been your average white racist of his time.

The argument wasn't that Wilson wasn't racist, the argument was that Wilson wasn't exceptionally racist even for his time. Dude freaking loved Birth of a Nation, and was totally racist, just not more so than the next guy from Virginia.

Looking at people in the context of their time isn't about accepting or condoning horrific bigotry, it's about viewing them through a proper perspective. TR and Taft get more accolades for being less racist than their era despite the fact that in a modern context they would likely be considered a little bigoty.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

bad day posted:

It's like he's trying to prove dogs can't talk by arguing that all dogs are really wolves.

Even if he's technically correct, it's an infuriating line of reasoning.

I'm pretty late with this, but don't argue/engage with fishmech. Just... don't, unless you have a million wiki pages open.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
This latest episode of Invisibilia is REALLY good. It's got a bit of zippy attitude and Radiolab style editing but wow, what a cool ride. I hope they keep up the quality.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Any interesting podcasts/blogs about the Conquest of the West? I had a class on this last year and I liked it (also I love Deadwood).

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I just won tickets to see this weeks taping of Star Talk. I've never caught an episode, but I like Bill Nye. And Tig Notaro will a guest too!

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

bad day posted:

This latest episode of Invisibilia is REALLY good. It's got a bit of zippy attitude and Radiolab style editing but wow, what a cool ride. I hope they keep up the quality.

Do people prefer this style of editing to a free-flowing natural production? It reminds me of the problems I have with all of the cable TV reality shows with the 360 degree spin around people and the edits every 4 seconds. I wish they put out a normal version because the subject matter interests me, but within a few minutes of trying to listen I'm ready to pour hot wax into my ears.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.

Ariza posted:

Do people prefer this style of editing to a free-flowing natural production? It reminds me of the problems I have with all of the cable TV reality shows with the 360 degree spin around people and the edits every 4 seconds. I wish they put out a normal version because the subject matter interests me, but within a few minutes of trying to listen I'm ready to pour hot wax into my ears.

It's NPR radio editing. I agree it's really over produced and obnoxious.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

Fledgling Gulps posted:

It's NPR radio editing. I agree it's really over produced and obnoxious.

While I agree with you, I think its the audio version of what has happened to video documentaries over the past two decades, so I'm not really surprised. At least they don't repeat content over and over to pad 20 minutes of material into 40 minutes of program.

Especially since radiolab and its ilk seem to be aiming at a younger audience, its natural theyre going to be overproduced and spazzy.

Still annoying, though.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

I'm loving the French Revolution segment of Revolutions, and it seems like it's going to be wicked long. There's still a ton to cover, and I could see him easily spending 3-5 episodes on something like the Reign of Terror. Where did he say he's stopping again? The crowing of Napoleon?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Cervixalot posted:

I'm loving the French Revolution segment of Revolutions, and it seems like it's going to be wicked long. There's still a ton to cover, and I could see him easily spending 3-5 episodes on something like the Reign of Terror. Where did he say he's stopping again? The crowing of Napoleon?
The coup of 18 Brumaire, if I remember right, so not Napoleon's imperial self-crowning but his ascension to first consul. It's a bummer we won't go full in Napoleonic as deeply but yeah the timeline planned out is turning out so detailed and awesome that it makes up for it.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I'm barely listening to the first hardcore history episode of blueprint for armageddon but I have a question: is there a series about world war 2 or does this series cover that?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
He has a good episode called Logical Insanity that goes over how the precedent for dropping the atomic bomb stretches back in part to the decisions to target cities as if they were military installations, and then to target military installations with incendiary devices.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I haven't listened to it myself, but Carlin also has a series on hardcore history called ghosts on the ostfront.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Bohemian Nights posted:

I haven't listened to it myself, but Carlin also has a series on hardcore history called ghosts on the ostfront.

Everybody is pretty familiar with the american side of WWII, Ghosts of the Ostfront was amazing.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Yeah, I heavily recommend Ghosts if you like Carlin at all. It's fantastic.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Awesome thanks for the recommendation! I'm gonna purchase it once I'm done with the blueprint for Armageddon series he has right now this is fantastic.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
nthing Ghosts of the Ostfront. If you only listen to one Hardcore History, make it that one. Although you won't just listen to one because Hardcore History owns bones. (Get it? Bones? That's my little depressing joke referencing the opening of Ghosts of the Ostfront).

Logical insanity was an awesome episode as well, though it isn't a WW2 history narrative it tackles issues from the war. Highly interesting stuff.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I like all the hinting of the upcoming revolution in the Caribbean between the Battle of Savannah and France's sugar shortage.

I expect Duncan to portray Maximilien de Robespierre mostly negatively for obvious reasons, but I do wonder if he'll paint a complicated, nuanced picture regarding how Robespierre was probably one of strongest advocates for the Haitians in Paris.

Also, when he does get around to covering Haiti, I hope his end date extends beyond January 1st, 1804. Jean-Jacques Dessalines's assassination and France's botched invasions to retake the island happened after. They might be anticlimactic, but the events continue to give insight to why the island is divided today.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Damo posted:

nthing Ghosts of the Ostfront. If you only listen to one Hardcore History, make it that one. Although you won't just listen to one because Hardcore History owns bones. (Get it? Bones? That's my little depressing joke referencing the opening of Ghosts of the Ostfront).

Logical insanity was an awesome episode as well, though it isn't a WW2 history narrative it tackles issues from the war. Highly interesting stuff.

I love that he talks about the kind of person we needed to run those kind of wars and the fact that we can't really deal with them after the war is over. It's something you never hear about in like anything.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
For all his talk of doing massive research I keep getting annoyed by Carlin attributing "One death is a tragedy, a million a statistic" to Stalin. It's really not important, but he's said it in at least 2 different episodes of HH and I think his cold war mentality is hindering his critical thinking at times.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Back To 99 posted:

For all his talk of doing massive research I keep getting annoyed by Carlin attributing "One death is a tragedy, a million a statistic" to Stalin. It's really not important, but he's said it in at least 2 different episodes of HH and I think his cold war mentality is hindering his critical thinking at times.

That's interesting because I was slightly taken back by his depiction of the tsar in the latest episode, whom he paints as disinterested in ruling, at least relative to his devotion to his family. I'm reading Orlando Figes "A Peoples Tragedy: A History of the Russian Revolution" at the moment, and it seems to tell an entirely different story: an ill-prepared ruler who nonetheless is over-fascinated with administration and wedded to the idea of the tsar as an autocratic ruler, over-confident of his expertise and although eager to think of himself as protector of the peasantry, completely disconnected from the realities of what is going on.

Carlin is trying to tell the story of WW1 and not the Russian Revolution of course, but it seemed like a strange emphasis to take, eliding the role the the tsar's incompetence played in igniting the revolution.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

It's not especially surprising if you look at HH as a series of popular history books, that kind of thing comes with the territory.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

TontoCorazon posted:

I love that he talks about the kind of person we needed to run those kind of wars and the fact that we can't really deal with them after the war is over. It's something you never hear about in like anything.

I think it was in either Max Hastings' Armageddon or Normandy where he talked about how Patton would have been right at home serving with Guderian or Rommel or Zhukov or Chuikov, and the Allies needed a general that was that aggressive, but it was those very same qualities that made him incompatible with serving in the army of a democratic nation.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Back To 99 posted:

I just hate that line because I have one or two insufferable Facebook friends who keep alluding to it whenever a celebrity dies.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Damo posted:

That opening is so well done and I really can't think of a better way to get the listeners into the right mindset for what is coming in the next ~7 hours.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

outlier posted:

That's interesting because I was slightly taken back by his depiction of the tsar in the latest episode, whom he paints as disinterested in ruling, at least relative to his devotion to his family. I'm reading Orlando Figes "A Peoples Tragedy: A History of the Russian Revolution" at the moment, and it seems to tell an entirely different story: an ill-prepared ruler who nonetheless is over-fascinated with administration and wedded to the idea of the tsar as an autocratic ruler, over-confident of his expertise and although eager to think of himself as protector of the peasantry, completely disconnected from the realities of what is going on.

Carlin is trying to tell the story of WW1 and not the Russian Revolution of course, but it seemed like a strange emphasis to take, eliding the role the the tsar's incompetence played in igniting the revolution.

Indeed, he noted that the Tsar had to return from the front. I doubt Kaiser Wilhelm, King George, or whoever was in charge of France went to the front personally. That has autocrat written all over it.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Popelmon posted:

That opening is so well done and I really can't think of a better way to get the listeners into the right mindset for what is coming in the next ~7 hours.

The story about the field of bones still being there actually turned me off from Ghost of the Ostfront because it is complete bullshit.
I live in ex-Stalingrad and a whole lot of bones sticking out of earth would have been the most metal thing for kids to explore, sadly all we got is digging for rusty pieces of iron. My only memory from a school trip around the "brotherly graves" sites is the unholy stench of the nearby bird factory.
I mean, do you really expect from Soviets to leave grim and natural reminders of the war just laying there while there was a massive, dedicated effort to rebuild the whole city from ground zero?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Eh, I don't think it was meant to be taken 100% literally, though. Maybe I'm wrong, it's been a while since I listened to the episode.