Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

raditts posted:

Don't believe these lies, NCIS is a really bad show. Unless she is suggesting shows that are so forgettably formulaic that you can tell 90% of what's going to happen in an episode without ever actually watching it.

she's not lying. Tons of people watch NCIS and similar shows on CBS because they are consistently entertaining. They may terrible, but they garner a huge audience.

I doubt that anyone who watches a police procedural seriously, is actually smart enough to realize how repetitive they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

raditts posted:

Don't believe these lies, NCIS is a really bad show. Unless she is suggesting shows that are so forgettably formulaic that you can tell 90% of what's going to happen in an episode without ever actually watching it.

Ravane is correct. NCIS is deeply stupid but it is competent in a way that people don't always appreciate. When you watch an episode of that show, you aren't sitting there going "well I wonder if they're going to gently caress this episode up" because they don't. Every episode is an almost identical level of quality. Whether or not you like what's in the package is personal taste, but it's not the roller coaster ride that more ambitious shows have. It's actually pretty remarkable, really, that they're still churning them out after all this time.

If someone wanted to watch a procedural NCIS wouldn't be first on my personal list (*cough* Elementary *cough*) but there's a reason a zillion people watch it. You are getting into a very comfortable boat.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
So is The Affair really good enough to have swept TV drama at the Globes? Not that the GGs mean poo poo or anything, just curious.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

So is The Affair really good enough to have swept TV drama at the Globes? Not that the GGs mean poo poo or anything, just curious.

It's possibly really good, but also the Golden Globes really like to award random new shows every year. At least half the people who won this year (and some of those who were nominated for the first time) probably won't ever see another GG nomination for the same series.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

I've watched most of the first season and it's good enough.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Affair had an amazing pilot and then gradually just got sorta worse and worse until one day it was just melodramatic as hell and I stopped watching. The drama category was hardly stellar this year, though, so whatever. Very happy with the wins for Transparent.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Elementary is a pretty good show, right? I only saw the pilot when it aired.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
People seem to like it, yeah.

Somehow I'm still watching Cougar Town. It helps that this is the final season. The premiere had the most adorable Matrix parody ever

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I hope I don't come off as rude or anything, since I'm genuinely curious, but is it possible to pinpoint an exact instance when a series being "procedural" became such a big mark against it?

I mean, I remember when Agents of SHIELD started, the fact that it was a procedural series was a pretty big criticism it often seemed to get.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think it's because CSI/NCIS and their ilk really started to take off and saturate the market mixed with cable dramas/more serialised storytelling becoming more prevalent and people realising there were other kinds of TV drama out there that were more suited to originality. I mean, procedurals are essentially formulaic as hell. And look how much better Hannibal gets when it leaves that format behind.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Metal Loaf posted:

I hope I don't come off as rude or anything, since I'm genuinely curious, but is it possible to pinpoint an exact instance when a series being "procedural" became such a big mark against it?

I mean, I remember when Agents of SHIELD started, the fact that it was a procedural series was a pretty big criticism it often seemed to get.

The pejorative use of "procedural" generally indicates a show where after the first season (give or take) every episode is basically the same structure with overarcing plot points generally saved for premieres, mid-season finales, and season finales (if at all). "______ of the week" shows fall into this category but given that Law & Order, House MD, NCIS/CSI, and Castle all fall under the banner, it's no guarantee of quality level. But for the most part, you know what you're getting each ep and things generally reset at the end of each installment so it can be reasonably looked at as lazy, easy, low-commitment low-reward programming.

And what Bown said since it actually spoke to your question :downs:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Are there procedurals that don't involve cops/lawyers/doctors?

I guess Star Trek but the last time that was on was like 10 years ago.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Procedurals can be fine, people sometimes place way too much emphasis on wanting plot twists vomited all over them for an hour to make them think they're watching something important or revelatory. Originality is overrated anyway, or at least non-existent.

You can also play procedurals differently if you want, but most don't. But that's not to say they all suck. I mean, all the CSIs and NCISs went on for some long for good reason. And Castle didn't last this long without being enjoyable at some level. People who like "serialized" television just value different things.

Almost all modern TV shows are formulaic, period. Procedurals are just a little more predictable is all.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

It's not 'procedural' itself that's bad, it's just that there are shows, like Fringe, AoS or Dollhouse, where the execs have obviously pushed the creators into making their first seasons very case of the week-y to the shows' detriment. Some shows just need to be serialized from the get-go. No one shat on, let's say, Life for being case of the week all the way to the end.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jan 12, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Right, that seems clear enough. Thanks.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Pedantry for pedantry's sake: procedurals are episodic

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Sober posted:

Pedantry for pedantry's sake: procedurals are episodic

Yeah, I meant 'serialized'.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Mu Zeta posted:

Monster/Alien/Mystery Of The Week shows have remained long since Trek shows became a thing of the past. Grimm in particular springs to mind (though I gave up on that show very early in S1 so who knows what it's become).

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

Mu Zeta posted:

Burn Notice was essentially a procedural. Nikita / Arrow / etc as well. Spies and superheroes are getting into the game, though I guess you could argue they are cop-adjacent.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Power Rangers.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Mu Zeta posted:

All these authority goups (and I count PIs, nurses, superhero/supernatural detectives/police as such) make it easy to write a procedural, because you simply have an easy excuse for a "case of the week". But sure, there were others too - Love Boat, Fantasy Island, Alphas, Leverage, Burn Notice for example. Currently I can't think of any still airing that don't revolve around some sort of authority agency/group.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Like 90% of the shows on television are loving "procedurals" if your definition is "plot is mostly self-contained to a single episode with maybe a couple of plot threads that extend to later episodes."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

raditts posted:

Like 90% of the shows on television are loving "procedurals" if your definition is "plot is mostly self-contained to a single episode with maybe a couple of plot threads that extend to later episodes."

That's the definition of episodic, not procedural.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Given how good the schedule is this month for most days, Mondays truly suck it seems. Although MTV has a show called Eye Candy starting tonight that sounds absolutely abysmal so I'm intrigued to give it a watch.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Given how good the schedule is this month for most days, Mondays truly suck it seems. Although MTV has a show called Eye Candy starting tonight that sounds absolutely abysmal so I'm intrigued to give it a watch.

Even Entertainment Weekly gave it a poo poo grade and said it was really bad. Castle is still on Mondays though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It stars a former Disney (or ABC Family or whatever) actress though so a lot of people are going to watch it and insist it's actually quite good.

And that's just here.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

I finally watched season 2 of Broadchurch, and uh it was good. Definitely looking forward to the rest of the season.

Without spoiling anything major, can you say what the major premise of the season was? Do the two main leads still work together?

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

CaptainHollywood posted:

Has Josh Duhamel always been second-tier Timothy Olyphant?

It took me half the trailer to realize it wasn't Timothy Olyphant.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Rabbit Hill posted:

Without spoiling anything major, can you say what the major premise of the season was? Do the two main leads still work together?

Only the first episode has aired so far. The premise of the season is the killer from last season suddenly pleads not guilty meaning that the town is going to be forced to endure a full trial. Looks pretty interesting.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yes, and there are new characters too. Some things from David Tennants past comes back.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Well, that sounds cool. I'm glad Tennant's character and Ellie didn't go off to become private investigators and solve new crimes together like some fans were speculating.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Some brutal scenes too. Definitely looking forward to the reason of the season.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Also some really good jokes. The banter between Tennant and Colman is great, as is the cinematohraphy.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

raditts posted:

Man, Simpsons is such a procedural show. Every time they do that couch gag, I vomit in my mouth, so predictable.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Hey regy rusty the end of broadchurch season one left kind of a bitter taste in my mouth, does series two fix that

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I thought the ending was fine, so maybe? Hard to say. It's only 44 minutes so go ahead and watch.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Toxxupation posted:

Hey regy rusty the end of broadchurch season one left kind of a bitter taste in my mouth, does series two fix that

Depends what you didn't like about it. For me what I didn't like about the end of Season 1 was how the mystery isn't so much solved as stumbled onto. That's not going to be an issue for season 2 since it's no longer about a mystery but instead about what is going to be a long and painful trial and how the town reacts to it. The town and the victim's family struggling to understand the murder was the best part of season 1, so I think season 2 looks promising.

But really 1 episode is too soon to judge so we'll have to see where it goes.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

My main issue with series one is how everyone- everyone -who is a suspect ends up either being or being involved with a pedophile

The first time it's done, with the shop owner, it was a clever bit of parallelism but by the end I was just rolling my eyes that every suspect ended up not committing the murder, but being a pedophile anyways

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
I only made it halfway though broadchurch. It wasn't bad but it sure wasn't good either, just really generic and reminded me of shows I could watch instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Do people like Jane the Virgin, maybe I just didn't get it but it just didn't feel natural.

• Locked thread