Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

I already saw the UBW movie. :(
you're still in for a treat, the ubw movie butchered that finale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

you're still in for a treat, the ubw movie butchered that finale

Yeah my condolences, thankfully after watching the original DEEN F/SN (after reading the VN, thank christ), I decided to not watch any other Fate stuff. Then Ufotable did F/Z and all was well

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
When I look back on the DEEN and manga adaption of FSN, all I can think of is how angry Shirou looks.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Compendium posted:

When I look back on the DEEN and manga adaption of FSN, all I can think of is how angry Shirou looks.

I'd be too if I was in a DEEN anime.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
I forgot after three years, but Heaven's Feel is kind of amazing.

Fourteen days of drip-fed action and total despair, all building into the most incredible release and catharsis. All of the memorable scenes featured in stuff like the Vita OP were just as good as I remembered, but I found so many small gems that I had forgotten that it made the reread a pleasure. Like, the last words Kotomine said to Shirou in Einzbern Forest were "Don''t let the women you choose die in front of you, it hits you pretty hard." which is just completely out of nowhere and great.

My sister liked it too, so my begging her to read a billion word anime story ended up working out splendidly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTGm1RD09ag

Scrree fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jan 10, 2015

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Scrree posted:

Speaking of not good Type Moon works, this has come out recently:

It's notable for featuring possibly the most wank of all Saiba-clones yet and this.

That looks like Luvia to me. She's even doing the gandr pose!

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Shyrka posted:

That looks like Luvia to me. She's even doing the gandr pose!

That's because it is Luvia. The Seibaclone is Waver's student.

(For the record Luvia does not like Waver)

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Playing Hollow Ataraxia is a good way to kill time before April.

The way Rider begins to hover around Shirou when he calls Tohsaka to go out on a date is pretty hilarious...

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Kyte posted:

That's because it is Luvia. The Seibaclone is Waver's student.

(For the record Luvia does not like Waver)

Because that's adult Waver and adult Waver is something of a hard rear end right? :D

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Raenir Salazar posted:

Because that's adult Waver and adult Waver is something of a hard rear end right? :D

I think it had something to do with Waver being a scrub magus. Despite everything Luvia still is part of the magical aristocracy, just like Kayneth.

(And somebody once mentioned that Waver and Rin don't get along either and Luvia's Rin with boobs and drills so dunno)

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I vaguely remembet seeing a fate comic that was a parody of the kelly comics for the onion. I think it had saber as the statue of liberty that shows up in all of them. Does this actually exist, and if so could someone post it

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

I vaguely remembet seeing a fate comic that was a parody of the kelly comics for the onion. I think it had saber as the statue of liberty that shows up in all of them. Does this actually exist, and if so could someone post it

I saw one of these but didn't save it. Sorry.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's not really about Fate but yeah it exists.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Oh yeah it was that. It's good.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

are there any news on Apocrypha? i heard that there is a phone game in making that is going to use a lot of the concepts that nasu had for it (and they are bringing Sakaki Kintoki back)

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.
I just want to see Archer David and Rider St. George wreck some dudes. We need more champions of Christendom in this metaverse.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Kyte posted:

(And somebody once mentioned that Waver and Rin don't get along either and Luvia's Rin with boobs and drills so dunno)

Waver doesn't like Rin because she doesn't know about anime and video games, therefore he has decided that she is the worst Japanese in the world.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Waver continues to prove himself to be the best Type Moon character.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

he made the volumen hydrangeum in a T-1000 maid, he loving owns

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it's after ubw that he and rin destroy the greater grail right?

it'd be neat if they add an epilogue to that effect into the anime

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Dr Pepper posted:

Waver continues to prove himself to be the second-best Type Moon character.

FTFY, because everyone knows Taiga is the best character

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It's not really about Fate but yeah it exists.

lol that's the one, thanks

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Is anyone else surprised by the lack by the lack of a decent arena-strategy game from Fate/ setting? I mean, a turn based game where you have Masters moving around nodes (locations) on a city map, where they preform various actions. The game would have say 24 characters total, but only are chosen randomly to be masters at the start of each game, but all 24 appear within every game (the other 16 are humans). The Master's goals are to discern which of the remaining 23 characters are Masters, by looking for suspicious actions taken by the characters.

The actions themselves of course have a risk/reward system. Performing mundane human options keeps you relatively undetected, but obviously has limited utility while using magic or summoning a servant would obviously immediately expose you if seen.

Onto servants, obviously the minimum amount of servants that would have developed is 8, but adding more would increase variety. If we're speaking strictly to something in setting, Noble Phantasms would be a set of abilities that you choose on of at the start of the game. If someone was to simply make a game based on the same concept but different IP, it would be cool to them as a large pool that can be draft picked (IE any servant can have access to any Noble Phantasm). All that's left is some throw away mechanic to resolve combat, or if this game actually has a budget: a real combat system. Some silver bullet mechanics for getting the drop on the enemy. And there, you now have something that looks like a cross between Mount and Blade, Mafia, Spy V Spy, and animu bullshit. The coding required for this is a bi heavy without some middleware (or an existing code base that might adapt nicely <.< >.>), but the art requirements are fairly minimalist and could probably be outsourced for less than a grand or two.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
My intention was to reread Fate with the new patch in the intervening months between UBW's cours and I don't think I can do it. I'm putting in maybe an hour a week and it's painful because that route's beginning is nothing but exposition and Shirou being afraid of Saber's cooties. I'm certain it was fine when I had only a passing knowledge of the premise (so like 8 years ago when the first Fate patch came out?) but now it's just nothing but work. I like FSN a whole lot but I think I just have to acknowledge that it doesn't have the replayability of say Steins;Gate which I was more than happy to replay once it came out officially in English.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

My intention was to reread Fate with the new patch in the intervening months between UBW's cours and I don't think I can do it. I'm putting in maybe an hour a week and it's painful because that route's beginning is nothing but exposition and Shirou being afraid of Saber's cooties. I'm certain it was fine when I had only a passing knowledge of the premise (so like 8 years ago when the first Fate patch came out?) but now it's just nothing but work. I like FSN a whole lot but I think I just have to acknowledge that it doesn't have the replayability of say Steins;Gate which I was more than happy to replay once it came out officially in English.
Wait, the Steins;Gate VN got licenced?
My wallet... :cry:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's even coming out on the Vita/PS3 in English, apparently!

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Nate RFB posted:

I want to try and reread the Fate route too, but I just end up reading the last third of UBW because it's somewhat more fast paced and it's more fun.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

HiveCommander posted:

Wait, the Steins;Gate VN got licenced?
My wallet... :cry:

Yes indeed, get on it!
http://www.jbox.com/product/SG001d
:shepspends:

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

:stare:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice
Wait so her being a lesbian isn't just a joke by seorin?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

There's various gags about Mitsuzuri and Rider in Hollow Ataraxia. Some of them land, some of them are a little uncomfortable.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Wait so her being a lesbian isn't just a joke by seorin?

Seorin ran the joke into the ground (as he tends to do), but the subtext was laid on pretty thick from the beginning.

Prologue posted:

It's a bad habit of hers. She talks like a guy when she's expressing her true feelings.
"Well, I'll come straight to the point. How's it going, Tohsaka? Have you found a reliable partner yet?"
"Whatever the result, the loser will obediently follow the winner's orders. Just thinking about it gets me excited."
"Well, that's the biggest problem for us. No matter how good a guy it is, there's no point if we can't bring ourselves to love him."
To my knowledge, Mitsuzuri Ayako is said to hate men.
"Hold it. What do you mean, 'us'?
I'll say it right now, but I'm not cold-hearted like you. I'd have no problem loving a guy."
"Oh, that's a lie. Or you're fooling yourself. There's no way you'd ever be concerned about a guy.
You've never given one good response to any of the confessions made to you. If you had even the slightest interest, you'd think of going out with them. But you keep declining, so it must mean you're not interested in men."

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 1, 2015

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Rider ruined perfectly good banter between Ayako and Lancer too (although cockblocking him might have been for the best).

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I'm mulling over something I just posted in the Spring 2015 thread:

Silver2195 posted:

I always assumed Extra had very little writing from Nasu himself, in part because the writing style is so different, in part because it's pretty bad in a different way from Nasu's usual forms of badness.

I think part of the reason the writing style may have seemed so different (aside from the different translators) was the difference in genres. Nasu's distinctive style of fight scene narration, for example, has no place when the fights are part of the gameplay. Writing to fill Vita textboxes may have restrained Nasu's tendency towards infodumping. And so forth. I still feel that the characterization in Extra is really off for some reason, but I suppose that's a different issue.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
There's also entirely different localization teams.

I'm told Nasu's writing is actually fairly poetic in the original language.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://wakameparadise.wordpress.com/capsule-servant/shirou/ ahgahahahahahaha this and the rin route own

Jeanne: Oh, this boy… (gasp)?! Could he be…
Jeanne: …a young soldier who was affected by my holy aura, couldn’t contain himself, and rushed to serve under my banner?!
Shirou: ?
Jeanne: Oh well, there’s not much I can do about it, I am a worldwide super famous Heroic Spirit after all.
Jeanne: Anyone who saw the maiden of Orleans walking wearily along the road would pledge to rush through a fleeting yet intense life like a flame in service to her sacred banner, wouldn’t they?
Shirou: Ah! I remember! I’ve seen you on TV!
Jeanne: Right?! Of course you would.
Jeanne: It’s so haaard, it’s so haaard having my uncontainable super famous Heroic Spirit aura (divinity) seep out even if I try to hide it.
Jeanne: But I’m in the Ruler position, so I can’t participate directly.
Jeanne: Even if you said “if I’m gonna summon anyone it’s gotta be the maiden of Orleans, it’s just common sense!”…
Jeanne: …and wanted to summon me, it seems that’s impossible as far as the system goes, so please give up, okay… um… little boy from this country?
Shirou: You’re King Arthur, right?! King Arthur! They showed you on that anime on TV! You’re actually a girl, right, I know I know!
Jeanne: drat you, England!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

https://wakameparadise.wordpress.com/capsule-servant/shirou/ ahgahahahahahaha this and the rin route own

Jeanne: Oh, this boy… (gasp)?! Could he be…
Jeanne: …a young soldier who was affected by my holy aura, couldn’t contain himself, and rushed to serve under my banner?!
Shirou: ?
Jeanne: Oh well, there’s not much I can do about it, I am a worldwide super famous Heroic Spirit after all.
Jeanne: Anyone who saw the maiden of Orleans walking wearily along the road would pledge to rush through a fleeting yet intense life like a flame in service to her sacred banner, wouldn’t they?
Shirou: Ah! I remember! I’ve seen you on TV!
Jeanne: Right?! Of course you would.
Jeanne: It’s so haaard, it’s so haaard having my uncontainable super famous Heroic Spirit aura (divinity) seep out even if I try to hide it.
Jeanne: But I’m in the Ruler position, so I can’t participate directly.
Jeanne: Even if you said “if I’m gonna summon anyone it’s gotta be the maiden of Orleans, it’s just common sense!”…
Jeanne: …and wanted to summon me, it seems that’s impossible as far as the system goes, so please give up, okay… um… little boy from this country?
Shirou: You’re King Arthur, right?! King Arthur! They showed you on that anime on TV! You’re actually a girl, right, I know I know!
Jeanne: drat you, England!

This is so much funnier when you remember Jeanne is French and the 100 years war was between England and France.

e: I saw some fan art the other day that showed a bunch of different Shirou's drawn according to the different ways he 'could' have been raised, so either by Tohsaka, Matou, Einzbern's, Kotomine, etc and I wonder; how different would Shirou be or his general ability to "do" things had he been given proper Magus training?

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Feb 19, 2015

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Raenir Salazar posted:

This is so much funnier when you remember Jeanne is French and the 100 years war was between England and France.

e: I saw some fan art the other day that showed a bunch of different Shirou's drawn according to the different ways he 'could' have been raised, so either by Tohsaka, Matou, Einzbern's, Kotomine, etc and I wonder; how different would Shirou be or his general ability to "do" things had he been given proper Magus training?

Or the fact that the English burned Jeanne at the stake, or the fact that England and France for most of their time as nations have been fighting each other.

Also, do you have links for those pictures?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Hunt11 posted:

Or the fact that the English burned Jeanne at the stake, or the fact that England and France for most of their time as nations have been fighting each other.

Also, do you have links for those pictures?

Safebooru to the rescue! (at work :) )

I'm just trying to think how much of a scary-creepy gently caress Shirou Matou probably is. Female Shirou looks like it would've been a really cool spin for F/S Night in a non-Prototype universe.

Is Shirou supposed to be a ginger in universe?

e: Ooops, Einzbern Shirou isn't here, that's a different artist/tag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.
Shirou Kotomine looks like a problem.