Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

How's life in a bigger prison, Dae-su?
I don't want to derail my own thread, but a few people mentioned The Flophouse and I've listened to over a dozen episodes so far. I actually listen to it on my way to work. While funny, they never really delve into the plot. I feel like I need to see the movie prior to listening. The problem with that is the fact that I have to watch lovely movies. WHM elaborates on the plot to the point that after listening to an episode I feel like I actually watched the movie.

Also, The Flophouse should be called "The Elliot Kalan Show".

xzoto1 fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

xzoto1 posted:

TFH with Elliot Kalan

CoolZidane
Jun 24, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Or how they want it to cross over with AMC.

Or Pippi's gun.

"Is that thing loaded?"
"Oh, you bet your rear end it is. In for a penny, in for a pound. *cocks gun*"

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Sleeveless posted:

They don't really do guests because the podcast is just about them making fun of movies and having a good time. They aren't a bunch of aspiring stand-up comedians trying to use it as their foot in the door like certain other bad movie podcasts so they don't really have any reason to invite celebrities on in the first place, which is one of the reasons I like them so much.

Plus based on their anecdotes they already seem to have a background in film and television (Conan interns, working at Lifetime, commercial filmmakers hired by a summer camp, etc.) so they're doing fine on their own.
They actually did an interview with Stephen Tobolowsky about Deadlock so its no entirely true. Andrew probably has the most interesting job out of all of them as he actually works on film programing for the Jacob Burns Film Center. I know he's actually mentioned it once during the Jingle All the Way episode where he talked about the programing for the holiday season.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

MadScientistWorking posted:

Andrew probably has the most interesting job out of all of them as he actually works on film programing for the Jacob Burns Film Center. I know he's actually mentioned it once during the Jingle All the Way episode where he talked about the programing for the holiday season.

Just looked that up and yeah the Jacob Burns Film Center looks like a pretty legit place to work: http://www.burnsfilmcenter.org/about

Sort of funny he has a job helping to educate people about the best films from around the world, and in his spare time helps 'educate' people about the worst.

Dudes got the spectrum well covered. Gotta respect that.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I've been cherry-picking episodes of movies I've seen, and these are great. Started with the Friday the 13th movies, for obvious reasons, and listened to a handful more.

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
Little Stevie is my favorite recurring character

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Big Bob Pataki posted:

Little Stevie is my favorite recurring character

HEY MA TOMMY LEE JONESH ISH GONNA PLAY TWO-FACSH!

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Evil Mastermind posted:

HEY MA TOMMY LEE JONESH ISH GONNA PLAY TWO-FACSH!

I don't care fatty!

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Yaws posted:

How are the hosts interchangeable?

It's hard to put into words, but I've listened to a majority of WHM (or close to it, if not) and in general I just feel like I don't really notice a lot of salient differences among the hosts. They all tend to interact/approach the films from the same path, for lack of a better term.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Listening to the old Godzilla episode I forget a line that kills me every time I hear it.

"Hell it's after Jurassic Park, everybody loves dinosaurs. Dinosaurs and dune buggies.....

Gonna draw a picture of both."

I have no idea why but the delivery slays me.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

xzoto1 posted:

I don't want to derail my own thread, but a few people mentioned The Flophouse and I've listened to over a dozen episodes so far. I actually listen to it on my way to work. While funny, they never really delve into the plot. I feel like I need to see the movie prior to listening. The problem with that is the fact that I have to watch lovely movies. WHM elaborates on the plot to the point that after listening to an episode I feel like I actually watched the movie.

The point has been brought up repeatedly that its a comedy podcast that is just buds bullshitting about a movie, not a movie podcast that happens to include comedy. You aren't alone, because they bring it up whenever they start getting a bunch of emails about it, but its just a weird thing to me. I mean, do you really need to watch Foodfight to laugh at a tin-tin joke or nazi/furry jokes?

I guess I can understand the Elliott Kalan thing since he generally does the comedy synopsis. Its kind of how I think Jason Mantzoukas seems like a cool enough dude outside of when hes performing (like on HDTGM or whatever that tv show about fantasy football is) but on there he and whoever the other guy are just come off obnoxious.

I figure I'll give these fellows a couple shots, what would you all recommend? Are they all really 1 1/1 hours?

Smooch City
Dec 5, 2011
It definitely took me a while to differentiate the hosts voices. They're much more similar than say the guys on the Flop House, who all have very distinctive voices/tones.

Gotta thank this thread for turning me on to the Flop House, WHM is still my favorite, but the Flop House is pretty great. Though I find myself not listening to certain episodes if Elliot isn't in them, I find the pace a bit slow without him to kinda guide the whole thing, also him and Stuart are hilarious together.

WHM on the other hand, I'll listen to every episode, even if they're sans Steve.

Also I'm pretty sure Jupin says "This, that, and the other thing" about a billion times per episode, though I love the impressions, so it all works out.

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

How's life in a bigger prison, Dae-su?

Synnr posted:

The point has been brought up repeatedly that its a comedy podcast that is just buds bullshitting about a movie, not a movie podcast that happens to include comedy. You aren't alone, because they bring it up whenever they start getting a bunch of emails about it, but its just a weird thing to me. I mean, do you really need to watch Foodfight to laugh at a tin-tin joke or nazi/furry jokes?

I guess I can understand the Elliott Kalan thing since he generally does the comedy synopsis. Its kind of how I think Jason Mantzoukas seems like a cool enough dude outside of when hes performing (like on HDTGM or whatever that tv show about fantasy football is) but on there he and whoever the other guy are just come off obnoxious.

I figure I'll give these fellows a couple shots, what would you all recommend? Are they all really 1 1/1 hours?

That's understandable. I just find that if I've seen the movie I can relate better to the jokes.

As for WHM, start off with Rocky IV. And yes, they are generally around the 1.5 hour mark.

Also, this weeks episode of Sabotage is absolutely hilarious.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Sabotage is a pretty fun movie if you're gonna sidestep the real crap like I, Origins.

KingsPawn
May 23, 2006
E4!
When I heard their take on Sabotage, I had to find the bit where Arnold calls the guy fat and walks away. Had to take a minute after watching it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2ArhF8i61o

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
How you could watch that and not just be laughing your head off, I have no idea.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

KingsPawn posted:

When I heard their take on Sabotage, I had to find the bit where Arnold calls the guy fat and walks away. Had to take a minute after watching it.
Hahahahahah this is from a movie that professionals made

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

How you could watch that and not just be laughing your head off, I have no idea.

It felt like those MAD TV sketches.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I now want an Arnold karaoke album.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

KingsPawn posted:

The 'gently caress you guys' at the end was actually kinda endearing

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

KingsPawn posted:

Man, I rember at least one person here defending Sabotage as a grim portrayal of the war on drugs :laffo:

Also this makes me sad that they don't put as many clips from the movie in their shows as they used to.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Carl Killer Miller posted:

The 'gently caress you guys' at the end was actually kinda endearing

I just love how he's throwing a tantrum. Sabotage is a great movie.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Sabotage is a fun 'background' movie that you can have playing while trying to put together a computer, build a model kit, watch a better movie on your iPad, etc.

It's a movie I agree with the concept that Arnold was entirely wrong for. I could see Willis or maybe even someone like Danny Trejo in that part. Also, I think the film would have been better with an actual extra subplot or something to thicken up the story. I still think you cut out the first part of the film and move it to near the end of the movie where the guy is spilling his guts to the detective, it maybe makes it would have helped.

I still sort of think if we started off the film with just video footage of the interviews with Arnold and his team, the team getting put back together, and we're left for a huge portion of the film with not knowing fully what happened, if anything, except for the insinuation they may or may not have had something to do with the missing money and a guy was killed on their team. Did they really take the money? They may be scumbags, but are they 'honest' scumbags? Is the DEA leaking that rumor to the cartel and using Arnold's team as bait to lure them out? Was there ever any money? Are they being hunted down for/by someone else? Etc.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

JediTalentAgent posted:

Sabotage is a fun 'background' movie that you can have playing while trying to put together a computer, build a model kit, watch a better movie on your iPad, etc.

It's a movie I agree with the concept that Arnold was entirely wrong for. I could see Willis or maybe even someone like Danny Trejo in that part. Also, I think the film would have been better with an actual extra subplot or something to thicken up the story. I still think you cut out the first part of the film and move it to near the end of the movie where the guy is spilling his guts to the detective, it maybe makes it would have helped.

I still sort of think if we started off the film with just video footage of the interviews with Arnold and his team, the team getting put back together, and we're left for a huge portion of the film with not knowing fully what happened, if anything, except for the insinuation they may or may not have had something to do with the missing money and a guy was killed on their team. Did they really take the money? They may be scumbags, but are they 'honest' scumbags? Is the DEA leaking that rumor to the cartel and using Arnold's team as bait to lure them out? Was there ever any money? Are they being hunted down for/by someone else? Etc.

Just watch End of Watch, it's written and directed by the same guy and is also a movie about law enforcement and the war on drugs but is actually a good movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I was mostly annoyed that there was only a passing reference to the phenomenal Fury.

Bolek
May 1, 2003

I've gotten into listening to this podcast because of this thread, so thanks!

I've checked out around 15 so far and my favorites were the Planet of The Apes where it was non stop Wahlberg impressions, Day After Tomorrow, which had already been talked about, and the most recent one which made me want to watch (and subsequently despise) Sabotage. NEEECK!!

I'd like to return the favor by recommending another podcast: Yeah, It's That Bad. It's a very fast paced (due to the editing) well formatted, really funny show with 3(occasionally 2) close friends who have great chemistry and infectious laughter.

Apparently some rear end in a top hat decided to dox them sometime last year so the show is over, but luckily every episode has been archived and should be available. The show has a bunch of inside jokes and only gets funnier the more you listen however I just jumped in the middle and started with movies I wanted to hear about and wasn't disappointed. Any eps after about 30 you should be good. Highly recommended.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Bolek posted:

I've gotten into listening to this podcast because of this thread, so thanks!

I've checked out around 15 so far and my favorites were the Planet of The Apes where it was non stop Wahlberg impressions, Day After Tomorrow, which had already been talked about, and the most recent one which made me want to watch (and subsequently despise) Sabotage. NEEECK!!

I'd like to return the favor by recommending another podcast: Yeah, It's That Bad. It's a very fast paced (due to the editing) well formatted, really funny show with 3(occasionally 2) close friends who have great chemistry and infectious laughter.

Apparently some rear end in a top hat decided to dox them sometime last year so the show is over, but luckily every episode has been archived and should be available. The show has a bunch of inside jokes and only gets funnier the more you listen however I just jumped in the middle and started with movies I wanted to hear about and wasn't disappointed. Any eps after about 30 you should be good. Highly recommended.

Yeah, it's that bad was a fantastic podcast-just three friends bullshitting with each other. The YITB format for discussing the movie is probably still one of my favorites, keeping the discussion mostly on the movie at hand, but with plenty of opportunities for lunatic exaggerations. The Amityville Horror, Number 23 and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen are must listens.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Bolek posted:

Wait, that's why they suddenly closed up shop out of nowhere? What's the story behind that?

Bolek
May 1, 2003

JT Smiley posted:

Wait, that's why they suddenly closed up shop out of nowhere? What's the story behind that?

I have no idea how I got to the page I did whenever it was I was trying to figure this out but it looked pretty plausible. Apparently some piece of poo poo with his garbage podcast had some sort of axe to grind and did some internet detecting and sent them an email saying he was gonna dox em. Rather than dealing with that bullshit they just deleted their feed and site.That's all I remember. Thank gently caress someone archived the shows otherwise I would have never heard it.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

JT Smiley posted:

It unfolds in the last two podcasts. They cryptically mentioned that the show may be coming to an end depending on what happened in the next week and for the next show they revealed that somebody had revealed their personal information which due to them being regular guys with a healthy work/home separation wasn't info they wanted to get out there. So they thanked everyone for listening and used the last show as kind of a wrap up to say their goodbyes and reflect on the experience of watching all of those movies. I think they realized it wasn't something they wanted to do forever and this greatly accelerated the process. It's a drat shame, because it was my absolute favorite movie pod.

The Flop House and WHM does help to fill the role of "People from New Jersey/New York who are funny and watch awful movies". Just listened to WHM's Timecop and it's a new favorite.

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jan 29, 2015

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

It unfolds in the last two podcasts. They cryptically mentioned that the show may be coming to an end depending on what happened in the next week and for the next show they revealed that somebody had revealed their personal information which due to them being regular guys with a healthy work/home separation wasn't info they wanted to get out there. So they thanked everyone for listening and used the last show as kind of a wrap up to say their goodbyes and reflect on the experience of watching all of those movies. I think they realized it wasn't something they wanted to do forever and this greatly accelerated the process. It's a drat shame, because it was my absolute favorite movie pod.

The Flop House and WHM does help to fill the role of "People from New Jersey/New York who are funny and watch awful movies". Just listened to WHM's Timecop and it's a new favorite.

It's actually worse than that. The guy who did it did so under the guise of 'people have the right to know' and was basically shilling his own crappy product while doing it. They had asked him not to because they want to keep their work and private lives separate from the podcast, and basically said to him that if he does it then they can't carry on. They just wanted to do the podcast and that's it, then some idiot called their bluff and doxxed them so they shut down.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams
The Mrs. Doubtfire episode is gold. gently caress me, what a terrifying take on the movie.

E: and now I am gonna listen to Yeah It's That Bad because it got shut down. Thanks, thread.

The Internet gives, the Internet takes away.

Armani fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jan 29, 2015

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
I'm sad at how bad Sabotage sounds, because End of Watch is really loving great and I loved the notion that we were finally going to return to the late 80s/early 90s 'Arnold plays a badass All American and no one questions his ludicrous accent' films. The idea of him, him of all people, playing the head of some of the most successful undercover DEA agents is completely insane and hilarious.

Add another thanks from me for recommending Yeah, It's That Bad - Podcast Addict has the complete archive so it will help me through my paperwork this afternoon.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Yeah, it's that bad was a fantastic podcast-just three friends bullshitting with each other. The YITB format for discussing the movie is probably still one of my favorites, keeping the discussion mostly on the movie at hand, but with plenty of opportunities for lunatic exaggerations. The Amityville Horror, Number 23 and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen are must listens.

I thought it was only an okay podcast until they started mainly doing the paid requests and then the quality went way down and it became unlistenable. But I also think you'd have to be a real rear end in a top hat to try to shut someone down.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Adrianics posted:

I'm sad at how bad Sabotage sounds, because End of Watch is really loving great and I loved the notion that we were finally going to return to the late 80s/early 90s 'Arnold plays a badass All American and no one questions his ludicrous accent' films. The idea of him, him of all people, playing the head of some of the most successful undercover DEA agents is completely insane and hilarious.

That's exactly what it is.

Dogeatdog
Jun 17, 2005

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

I will always have a soft spot for YITB just because they share my love of Constantine (yes, the Keanu Reeves one). Peter Stormare is so good as the devil.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Random Stranger posted:

I thought it was only an okay podcast until they started mainly doing the paid requests and then the quality went way down and it became unlistenable. But I also think you'd have to be a real rear end in a top hat to try to shut someone down.

The weird editing of YiTB turned me off. It's super noticeable and unnatural. Still not the worst bad movie podcast I've heard (that's The Filmsack). I do feel terrible that some shitlord shut them down for no reason.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

weekly font posted:

The weird editing of YiTB turned me off. It's super noticeable and unnatural. Still not the worst bad movie podcast I've heard (that's The Filmsack). I do feel terrible that some shitlord shut them down for no reason.

I just thought they weren't funny and their "running gags" were painful. But it's not as bad as Proudly Resents which I found to be just plain awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Random Stranger posted:

I just thought they weren't funny and their "running gags" were painful. But it's not as bad as Proudly Resents which I found to be just plain awful.

I've never listened to it but I guess I have to now. Shame it's garbage since that's a waste of a good name.