Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Pretty sure one of the class/build/archetype things in THE CYBERPAPACY is "You are a Grandpa who wakes up and is suddenly chromed up like a robocop" and why would you want to delay that wonder any longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Mr. Maltose posted:

Pretty sure one of the class/build/archetype things in THE CYBERPAPACY is "You are a Grandpa who wakes up and is suddenly chromed up like a robocop" and why would you want to delay that wonder any longer.

That's a very convincing argument and I change my vote.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Mr. Maltose posted:

That is legit my favorite template in the entire game because you're not just a Grandpa, you're a Grandpa who actually fought in the original French Resistance during WWII and now you've got your faculties back, cyberware, and an itchin' need to show these young whippersnappers how you really run a resistance movement.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Zereth posted:

The Nile Empire, duh. Gotta find out what Dr. Mobius is up to.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso

Zereth posted:

The Nile Empire, duh. Gotta find out what Dr. Mobius is up to.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Plague of Hats posted:

That's a very convincing argument and I change my vote.

Yeah okay if The Living Lands actually suck then I'm also changing my vote for this.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

Mobius is the Nile Empire, not Living Land.

But that segues nicely into this...
The storm has a name... - Let's Vote About TORG

Okay, so now it's time for a vote!

There are six cosms invading Core Earth, and each one got a book detailing all the mechanics needed to do stuff there, and occasionally some stuff about what the realm is like.

So now I ask you, the FATAL and Friends viewers, which cosm you'd like to hear about first!

So what'll it be?
  • The Living Land, where the lizardman Baruk Kaah has turned a quarter of North America in primitive jungles where technology fails, and leads an army who see pain as a religious gift?
  • Orrorsh, home of the now-exiled Gaunt Man, Victorian horror, unstoppable monsters, and the Ecology of Fear?
  • The Nile Empire, land of pulp-era adventure, ruled by an insane resurrected Egyptian pharaoh named Dr. Mobius?
  • Nippon Tech, ruled by 3327, a.k.a "Ryuchi Kanawa", a world of corporate espionage where your personal worth is calculated to the penny?
  • Asyle, where Lady Pella Ardinay leads the forces of Light against former High Lord Uthorion and his forces of Darkness across a fantasy realm?
  • The Cyberpapacy, where Pope Jean Malraux I has combined futuristic cybernetics and netrunning with a 16th century Catholic power structure?
If it's not too late, I vote none of the above and Tharkold, which is the most balls to the walls nutty setting of the lot.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

ascendance posted:

If it's not too late, I vote none of the above and Tharkold, which is the most balls to the walls nutty setting of the lot.

I'm leaving the post-initial-set cosms until after I deal with the "core" invaders. Because there's two other spoilery realities that show up that haven't even been hinted at yet.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Mors Rattus posted:

All I know is, two years ago at Origins I saw a book called THE CYBERPAPACY and I had to buy it despite knowing nothing about it because it was a book called THE CYBERPAPACY.
You chose...wisely

One of my favorite things about the Cyberpapacy is the way that it handled cyberspace (the classic c-punk flying-through-holographic-neon-grid-canyons with a wire hooked directly into your brain kind) - it got rid of a lot of the fiddly rules and arguments by flatly asserting that when you jacked in to cyberspace, you were literally projecting your soul into another dimension. Because, in the Cyberpapacy, that's exactly how jacking into the matrix worked.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Robo Cyber Grandpa gets my vote.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Get the most boring out of the way first: Living Land

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

TORG may not have a Space Pope, but it does have a Chrome Pope, and that's good enough for me. Forward the Cyberpapacy!

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

I'm with Green Intern - get the most boring out of the way first, so we can finish with the good stuff.

Living dud of a Land first, to be followed by Orrorsh, Nippon Tech, Asyle, Nile Empire, and finally Cyberpapacy.

Baofu
Jun 15, 2007

I was around for the last writeups of Cyberpapacy and Nile Empire, so I also vote Living Land, if only to see how badly they hosed up Dino People who are ruled by a reptilian god-king.

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
I've been looking around on DTRPG, and

Yeah. A samurai in Cyclops' visor. :allears:

NipponTech.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Evil Mastermind posted:

That is legit my favorite template in the entire game because you're not just a Grandpa, you're a Grandpa who actually fought in the original French Resistance during WWII and now you've got your faculties back, cyberware, and an itchin' need to show these young whippersnappers how you really run a resistance movement.

Well yeah, gotta leave you something to talk about.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Didn't Cyberpapacy win last time someone did Torg?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I vote for Orrorsh because it's an anagram for "Horrors" and knowing that I can't help but laugh every time I see the name.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Lightning Lord posted:

I vote for Orrorsh because it's an anagram for "Horrors" and knowing that I can't help but laugh every time I see the name.
One of the Cosm Axioms is that all proper nouns are pronounced as if they were spoken by late-career Sean Connery.

"I'll take Horrorsh for shix hundred, Trebeck"

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hypocrisy posted:

Didn't Cyberpapacy win last time someone did Torg?

I did it the first time around, but I faded after doing the Nile Empire and only getting about 3/4 of the way through Cyberpapacy. This redo is my attempt to redeem myself.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Baofu posted:

I was around for the last writeups of Cyberpapacy and Nile Empire, so I also vote Living Land, if only to see how badly they hosed up Dino People who are ruled by a reptilian god-king.

Link me to Cyberpapcy!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

NutritiousSnack posted:

Link me to Cyberpapcy!

http://tradwiki.foxxtrot.net/index.php/FATAL_%26_Friends:_T-U#TORG_.28by_Evil_Mastermind.29

I am going to be using the old reviews as a base, since another reason I'm doing this is because I was reading the old posts and wanted to clean them up.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Littlefinger posted:

Yeah. A samurai in Cyclops' visor. :allears:

NipponTech.

Putting old-fashioned samurai and ninjas in a near-future Japan's kind of like putting old-fashioned armored knights in a near-future Britain, don't you think?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Libertad! posted:

Putting old-fashioned samurai and ninjas in a near-future Japan's kind of like putting old-fashioned armored knights in a near-future Britain, don't you think?

Rule one of future Britain is that the Knights Templar come crawling out of wherever and start handing out chainmail. It's like... something the Queen has a madate for.

Source: Every single Earth's future RPG ever.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Libertad! posted:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Spoiler: later on Torg introduces "pocket dimensions", which are basically tiny realms that just show up.

One of them is Avalon.

e: And don't get me started on the Cartoon Cosm, which has "Acme-ums" instead of axioms. It's the ultimate damning evidence of how badly WEG's writers did NOT understand comedy.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 13, 2015

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012

Libertad! posted:

Um, yes?
I picked it not because I think it's awesome but because it is a literal street ~samurai~ that is so hilariously 80s-90s and a single-picture representation of the whole postmodern orientalism of the time.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's the ultimate damning evidence of how badly WEG's writers did NOT understand comedy.
I'll see you and raise.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

I'll see you and raise.

I own that. I think I still have my copy somewhere.

Of course, the reraise is Paranoia 5th Edition.

e:
Oh my god.

OH MY loving GOD.

That was written by George Strayton.

George "THE SECRET FIRE" Strayton.

I think I just pulled something mentally.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 13, 2015

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Halloween Jack posted:

I'll see you and raise.

Guess what else I picked up at Origins two years ago.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Hold on just a loving second.

Kurieg posted:

Prestige Classes
Gladiator/Blademaster
3rd level gets you double your strength to damage with 2 handed weapons.

Kurieg posted:

Exotic weapon proficiency: Thorium:(Proficiency with the non-thorium version of the weapon)
If you're proficient in a Thorium weapon, in addition to not taking a -4 penalty on attack rolls with it, you can add 1.5X your strength to damage with it(2x if it's 2 handed)

You already add 2x your strength bonus to attacks with 2 handed weapons just as a general d20 rule, right? These are additional multiplications? I'd like to put in an order for a Thorium Lance, then, please...

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
What a choice. All the realms are awesome (except for Living Land of course) I'll vote for Malreaux (will you be handling the GodNet supplement at the same time?)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

What a choice. All the realms are awesome (except for Living Land of course) I'll vote for Malreaux (will you be handling the GodNet supplement at the same time?)

Yeah, which is going to be interesting because the GodNet stuff isn't in the Cyberpapacy book; it's in the Worldbook from the original set and the GodNet sourcebook.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Crasical posted:

You already add 2x your strength bonus to attacks with 2 handed weapons just as a general d20 rule, right? These are additional multiplications? I'd like to put in an order for a Thorium Lance, then, please...

No, you normally ad 1.5x your Strength modifier with two-handed weapons.

Red Metal fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 13, 2015

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Crasical posted:

IF you took both of those feats you'd add 2.5X your strength bonus to damage rolls with 2h weapons. 3.5 does multipliers weird.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Voting for Nile Empire because Dr. Mobius is my favorite single thing about Torg so far.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Here are the votes so far; the Cyberpapacy is barely ahead (assuming I counted right).

Cyberpapacy: ......
Nile Empire: .....
Living Land: ...
Nippon Tech: .
Orrorsh: .

I'll close voting when I wake up tomorrow morning.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Show me Nile Empire.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Pope Cyberpope XXVII sounds like the most amazing thing. We want cyberpopes which means we want the Cyberpapacy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso

Evil Mastermind posted:

I own that. I think I still have my copy somewhere.

Of course, the reraise is Paranoia 5th Edition.
MiB is at least playable, about 1% as complicated as Torg, and not awful, but the humour is all wrong. Which is to be expected. You can't really adapt the buddy-cop dynamic from the movie to a group of experienced PCs. Whereas from what I've heard about Paranoia 5, it's too complicated and just painfully unfunny.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 13, 2015

• Locked thread