Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

I'd rather be a pig than a fascist
Finally decided to start a membership at LA Boulders. I haven't climbed in a few months and I was tired of trying to justify $20 day passes for maybe an hour or so of climbing after work. They've added a bunch of yoga/training/technique classes since I was last there. Any climbing goons in the Los Angeles area?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

20 dollars :eyepop:

jackchaos
Aug 6, 2008

For reals 20 dollars!? That's getting scalped. We have a 24 hours gym and the membership cost is only 45. Btw one of the setters from l.a.b. won the setters show down last year so enjoy the problems.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Nah.

15-20 bucks is pretty much standard for a day pass. You pay off the value of the monthly membership in only three or four visits. Hopefully you get classes for free with the membership, too, so you can pretend like you're getting the climbing, the weight room, and the clinics all together.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
Haha I pay 6 for a day pass.

jackchaos
Aug 6, 2008
Id never pay over 12 for a day pass. Ridiculous. Then again industry is usually free. So id never really pay...

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I appreciate the 7.50 bouldering at rock'n & jam'n. Still considering a monthly at the new movement in Denver though.

Chris!
Dec 2, 2004

E
I pay £8.95 to rope climb indoors (with a £12.50 yearly membership fee) at High Sports, and loving £11.50 to boulder at Boulder Brighton. I used to pay £44 for unlimited monthly membership at BB which worked out a lot cheaper but I mostly lead climb these days so it's not worthwhile. So expensive.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
$20 day passes here at EarthTreks in Maryland, membership is $69/74 for single-/multi-gym. There are some in-between options as well but they're mostly close to those options -- you can get a 7-punch pass for $120 (so $20 a punch with one free, or ~$17 per visit) or a 30- or 90-day for a bit less than the membership. The membership has a startup cost but also includes all the other benefits like free clinics, (small) gym, yoga, shop discount, etc. Renting gear is another $10. If you're going to be there with any frequency, buying gear and a membership is far better.

I'm assuming pricing at the Golden, CO location is similar.

Dumbdog
Sep 13, 2011
I pay about £90 for three months at the works. Then due to living in Sheffield I only climb outside for spring summer and autumn. I love Sheffield (capital of climbing in England pretty much)

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
$16/day pass for City Rock here and $13 for Sport Climbing Center (the more venerable, cooler, and less well-traveled gym IMO) here in Colorado Springs. Outdoor climbing is free in three city parks if the weather doesn't suck, though.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
San Diego gyms are around $15-20.

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

Dumbdog posted:

I pay about £90 for three months at the works. Then due to living in Sheffield I only climb outside for spring summer and autumn. I love Sheffield (capital of climbing in England pretty much)

as if the works is only £90 for 3 months, climb newcastle is like 140 ffs

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

In general, a daily pass at most gyms is basically a thing you do when you want to go to a new gym and want to test the water first. Memberships usually pay off after 3-5 visits per month.

Dumbdog
Sep 13, 2011

Still B.A.E posted:

as if the works is only £90 for 3 months, climb newcastle is like 140 ffs

Student deal, its worth it for the motherboard alone.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

guppy posted:

$20 day passes here at EarthTreks in Maryland, membership is $69/74 for single-/multi-gym. There are some in-between options as well but they're mostly close to those options -- you can get a 7-punch pass for $120 (so $20 a punch with one free, or ~$17 per visit) or a 30- or 90-day for a bit less than the membership. The membership has a startup cost but also includes all the other benefits like free clinics, (small) gym, yoga, shop discount, etc. Renting gear is another $10. If you're going to be there with any frequency, buying gear and a membership is far better.

I'm assuming pricing at the Golden, CO location is similar.

Same here, and I have to get the $75 multi-gym because I go to the Rockville gym. It's worth it for the convenience and access to gym + weights + classes.

Speaking of spending money, my Tenaya Tarifas arrived today. Comfy as hell, I'm a convert. Anyone want to buy a month-old Miura VS, EU 40?

chami fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jan 12, 2015

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Yeah unless you live way away from all of them I think the extra $5 for all the gyms is worth it. I have a main gym I go to but I'll go to one of the others if I'm climbing with someone who lives far enough away that it's more equidistant.

ndrz
Oct 31, 2003

Dallas here, $50/mo gets access to the 3 different Summit gyms in the area with yoga included.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

coldfire07 posted:

Dallas here, $50/mo gets access to the 3 different Summit gyms in the area with yoga included.

Only bad thing is living in Dallas... I was just at love field, that was close enough... (Posting from Amarillo Texas.... So what do I know).

That is some sweet pricing though.

ndrz
Oct 31, 2003

spwrozek posted:

Only bad thing is living in Dallas... I was just at love field, that was close enough... (Posting from Amarillo Texas.... So what do I know).

That is some sweet pricing though.

I've only been climbing for a few months and have yet to attempt any outdoor routes, but yeah, Dallas is not the best climbing city. I've heard there are a few different places for bouldering / water bouldering within a couple of hours though, and there's always hill country near Austin an extra hour outside of that. Win some, lose some.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

spwrozek posted:

I appreciate the 7.50 bouldering at rock'n & jam'n. Still considering a monthly at the new movement in Denver though.

I'm pretty happy bouldering at Thrill Seekers. Movement's website is pretty light on details, is it worth the extra money?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Happiness Commando posted:

I'm pretty happy bouldering at Thrill Seekers. Movement's website is pretty light on details, is it worth the extra money?

Haven't been yet but looks like it. I want to do a monthly there just haven't had the time to get there. I need to get on some ropes.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

spwrozek posted:

Haven't been yet but looks like it. I want to do a monthly there just haven't had the time to get there. I need to get on some ropes.

I have a couple of punches if you want to try the boulder facility.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Seriously, those guys on Dawn Wall have been on El Cap since the 27th of December. How do they poop? I've never been big wall climbing and every option I can think of just sounds hideous.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
They poop in a tube and one of their porters will courier it down to the ground for proper disposal. On an unsupported big wall ascent you'd have to haul it all with you.

jackchaos
Aug 6, 2008
http://gripped.com/profiles/watch-dawn-wall-live-now/

last bit of the dawn wall push streaming live

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

jackchaos posted:

http://gripped.com/profiles/watch-dawn-wall-live-now/

last bit of the dawn wall push streaming live

Awesome, thanks for the link!

Headhunter
Jun 3, 2003
One - You lock the target
£34/month for all the bouldering I can eat at The Depot in Leeds (UK)

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Caldwell and Jorgeson have completed their climb: http://www.vox.com/2015/1/14/7545571/el-capitan-climb

guppy fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 15, 2015

Headhunter
Jun 3, 2003
Everyone has been describing it as 'free climbing' but my understanding of free climbing was that it was climbing without ropes? Can someone explain to me how what these guys did was different to normal lead climbing? I've only ever bouldered so have no idea!

Bloody impressive achievement though, without a doubt.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

Headhunter posted:

Everyone has been describing it as 'free climbing' but my understanding of free climbing was that it was climbing without ropes? Can someone explain to me how what these guys did was different to normal lead climbing? I've only ever bouldered so have no idea!

Free climbing is your standard sport/trad climbing. Ropes are used only to catch falls. This is in contrast to aid climbing, where you'll use different devices (aiders, daisies, ascenders, etc.) to get through tough parts. The Dawn Wall was aid climbed a long time ago. This was the first free ascent.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Headhunter posted:

What he said ^^^ plus a bit about where the confusion comes from. "Free climbing" is climbing as we know it. "Free SOLOing" is climbing by one's self with no ropes or safety devices. The terms are similar enough that when someone says "He free climbed it", people often hear "He free solo'd it" which means something quite different.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Pretty cool stuff. Obama tweeted them and they got the cover on the USA today.

I climbed in the gym in Amarillo this week and I was the only paying customer Monday and Wednesday. Can't be a good sign for them...

I took a nasty fall yesterday too. They have a super overhung bouldering area and I had my right leg very flagged out trying to maintain balance. I popped off and basically landed standing up on one leg on accident. My knee felt crazy and I was sure I was going to just explode everything in it. Luckily it swayed and buckled but all is well. It was pretty scary in the moment though.

My take away is time to climb more ropes.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

armorer posted:

What he said ^^^ plus a bit about where the confusion comes from. "Free climbing" is climbing as we know it. "Free SOLOing" is climbing by one's self with no ropes or safety devices. The terms are similar enough that when someone says "He free climbed it", people often hear "He free solo'd it" which means something quite different.

Pretty much this.

The real problem is that very few people who are "climbers" aid climb anymore, and even then they only really talk about it in relation to big walls*. So the distinction between "climbing" and "free climbing" has really fallen away until even I was confused when I first read the NYT headline the other week. To climb free is to to be able to ascend the wall without any help.

*Anytime you pull on a draw or step on a bolt, you are aid climbing. You lazy sonuvabitch.

Headhunter
Jun 3, 2003
Cheers for clearing that up for me. Aid climbing sounds strange and a bit lame.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Headhunter posted:

Cheers for clearing that up for me. Aid climbing sounds strange and a bit lame.

A lot of the time you'll find a pitch that needs to be aided on an otherwise cool and free-climbable route. That is why you hear it in the context of big wall climbing more often than not. If you want to climb the rest of the climb, you need to aid climb a few pitches. It opens up a lot of stuff that would otherwise be largely un-climbable. Historically this dawn wall route always required aid for some pitches, and still will require aid for the vast majority of folks out there. That's no reason for people not to enjoy the pitches they can climb free though really.

Headhunter
Jun 3, 2003
I guess it's because I'm from the UK where we have relatively tiny climbs!

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Speleothing posted:

[Anytime you pull on a draw or step on a bolt, you are aid climbing. You lazy sonuvabitch.

nah thats just me projectin my rig bruh :c00lbert:

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
Hello climbing thread, I finally got around to climbing again so I'm letting myself post here once more. Lucky you.

After a quick trip to Big Rock gym in Springfield, MO, I took my first vacation without the family since moving to the US just before Halloween. An ex-UK friend of mine invited me to Yosemite, and there was no way I could turn down something like that. I still wasn't quite prepared for how stunningly beautiful everything is there, and my mind was blown every day, from waking up to crows shouting at me, to falling asleep to the sound of park rangers patrolling for bears and a way-too-friendly raccoon. I also saw my first coyote, which I had just figured was a dog walking around until I realized what it was the following morning. The last night we had the rangers come round with shotguns and warn us there was a large, persistent male in the area (which made us feel real good about the RV a few pitches over that had left all their food out in their car). I stayed up to make sure the fire was properly out and spooked myself after seeing the rangers return and get out of their cars pretty quickly, then hearing something that to me sounded like a big thing bashing something and making snuffling/eating noises - it was probably just that raccoon, but I ran away and hid in my tent anyway.

I managed to climb on each of the 3 days we were there, did some bouldering and a little top rope, had real trouble getting off the ground on top rope because the initial feet were so polished, and ended up completely sore but totally stoked for climbing.

I came home and made a deal with myself to build the woody I'd been planning for years (I've had the holds since something stupid like 2011 - a SoIll bolt-on starter set), and completed it about 3-4 weeks ago. Now I'm training 2 days on, one off, got a bunch of good hold sets from Amazon for something like $2/hold (ETCH - their sandstone holds are particularly good imo), and set them up mirrored so I can get back to system training, while still having decent holds for the kids to use.

Everything is totally rad, and I'm super happy to be climbing once again. I got my first sit-start in years almost straight away, which was encouraging. It's coming back pretty quickly. Days off are hard to enforce right now, until I remember the pain of a blown finger, then it's not quite so tough :v:

Here, have some pictures:

Ex-pat friend and his wife on the first day of bouldering (we had trouble finding these because since our guidebook had been written, a rockfall had flattened the huts nearby and the new ones had been numbered with a different system):

Top rope routes on the second day:

Second day bouldering - I'm not climbing anything much higher than this without a rope until I get a lot stronger:

Third day we went to Presidential Boulder - it's got a nice slab-type climb on the side and loads of stuff all over that's about V0-V1:

Obligatory sunset shot:

Who wouldn't want to wake up to this view (and loving loud crow)?

The woody - 8' x 8' with a 1' kicker, ~8 1/2' high, maybe 20 deg overhanging if I did the math kinda right, and hinges on the bottom edge so I can adjust it/pack it down when we move:

The big checkered thing is just vinyl stuffed with foam offcuts, and I added padding to the seat on the back with spare vinyl, similar width foam and staples.

tl;dr: Go to Yosemite already.

e: oh yeah, Honnold was there in the love van, and we watched the headlights come on as the sun went out on El Cap - definitely an inspiring sight.

IrvingWashington fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jan 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I don't climb but I can echo the "Go to Yosemite" comment. It's a spectacular place. I can't imagine a better place on earth if you're a climber.