Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
i dunno if i've posted this but my current thought is that as soon as nick diaz's fight is done the ufc is gonna cut nate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

david carmichael posted:

i dunno if i've posted this but my current thought is that as soon as nick diaz's fight is done the ufc is gonna cut nate.

People were saying he might get a title shot if he won. Such Great Heights.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
Wait, doesn't Bendo actually have to sign a contract in order to fight Cerrone? Or does he sign a contract to fight on a particular date against an unspecified opponent? I know I just posted that our sport is not real but good lord.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
The UFC needs to cut Nick and Nate together so Bellator can sign them and officially announce a tag team division.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I can't imagine that situation actually lasted all that long, what's the timeline on BendCo. saying they didn't know about it?

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Tezcatlipoca posted:

People were saying he might get a title shot if he won. Such Great Heights.

he showed up looking like a trevor with no cory

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Nate is Jacob Collins.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

can't wait for the pics of Dana and Jon doing lines off of Anderson Silva's head to surface.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

Wait, doesn't Bendo actually have to sign a contract in order to fight Cerrone? Or does he sign a contract to fight on a particular date against an unspecified opponent? I know I just posted that our sport is not real but good lord.

maybe they determined "this kid's a warrior" and 411ing bendo was a secondary thing

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
NY Ric from the MMA Hour offers up an interesting theory: dropping the "title shot" thing on Silva but not Diaz is a purposeful move to get Nick all complainy and worked up towards Weidman if he wins.

Edit: Especially now that these "promised" title shots are pretty much bullshit if they aren't guaranteed big money.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 13, 2015

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

maffew buildings posted:

the ufc has a lot of irons in the fire right now what with the lawsuit, champion hot for cocaine, reebok deal, lambo shopping and bro time, sometimes poo poo like communicating to fighters who they're up against, they've been cut, etc. gets lost in the shuffle

The Fertittas prize personal loyalty above most other things and Dana is an insane micromanager, and the two things combine to result in the UFC having a way smaller staff than they probably should have.

david carmichael posted:

With his current contract being for really low pay and him actively trying to get out of it, I think they're just going to keep offering him fights he'll lose until he's at the end of his contract and then cut him, so his value for Bellator is at an absolute minimum.

electric funeral
Oct 16, 2004

ACCIO PANTIES
*swoosh flick*

Triticum Guzzler posted:

jon jones is a sponge, he picks up techniques so quickly. he was watching rehab videos on youtube and just "got" it.

SpongeJon CokeHead

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

fatherdog posted:

The Fertittas prize personal loyalty above most other things and Dana is an insane micromanager, and the two things combine to result in the UFC having a way smaller staff than they probably should have.

that's why Donald Cerrone brings employees shotguns for their birthdays, you don't get that at McMega Corp

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

It just dawned on me that the Jon Jones coke situation makes the rehiring and refiring of Thiago Silva even more hilariously hypocritical and bad.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I can't imagine that situation actually lasted all that long, what's the timeline on BendCo. saying they didn't know about it?

It just went up on MMAJunkie this afternoon. It's a pretty good read.

edit - looking through it now I'm not seeing where they haven't contacted him at all yet. I'm either insane or they edited the article.

edit edit - "They didn’t ask me, and I’ve still not talked to any UFC person about switching my opponent" Good I'm not insane.

Ariza fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 13, 2015

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Bluedeanie posted:

It just dawned on me that the Jon Jones coke situation makes the rehiring and refiring of Thiago Silva even more hilariously hypocritical and bad.

he was fired for storming a gym and pointing a loaded ak47 down his ex-wife's mouth or something though

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Bluedeanie posted:

Those situations have nothing in common

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

acai moonsault posted:

he was fired for storming a gym and pointing a loaded ak47 down his ex-wife's mouth or something though

That was the first time, when Dana said he would never fight in the UFC again. He even had a fight booked in a different organization while his litigation was pending. But then when his wife was literally so terrified she fled the country and the state of Florida thought this meant they could bring no charges, Dana took advantage of the average mma fan/media outlet's demonstrably terrible understanding of the legal process to proclaim the legal system clearly absolved Silva of any wrongdoing and brought him back. But before his next fight could be booked, his wife uploaded video of a clearly paranoid Silva chasing coke ghosts around their house, which prompted White to fire him again. So Silva can't use drugs out of competition and keep his job when Jones, who also has past embarrassing (though obviously less violent) criminal charges, can straight up fail a drug test for cocaine and do a single afternoon of rehab and the official line is Dana's confident he will beat this like the champ he is.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

Lungboy posted:

As an opposite, I was really happy to learn that Bill Wallace was doing commentary on UFC1, but then upset by how terrible he was at it.

VVV It's so painful to watch. He's a really nice guy and a true legend, but that's terrible.

I heard a story that he was backstage at the event just putting his superfeet in everybody's faces.

mewse posted:

A person I know IRL posted to her facebook that she's questioning the legitimacy of the UFC after this Jon Jones fiasco. I wonder how big the impact is on less hardcore fans than us. I'm guessing "not very" but I was surprised to see the post.

Ignorant people question the legitimacy of the UFC every time anything they don't like or understand happens.

A ton of people don't even know how it's different from WWE still.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Dangersim posted:

Those situations have nothing in common

OH YEAH?

"a person of questionable reputation who cheats on their spouse flees to safety after getting the better of a head to head confrontation with an American Top Team fighter"

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
:siren::siren:

bokamotoESPN posted:

Per @tgerbasi, Matt Brown has been pulled from Colorado 2/14 and will fight Johny Hendricks in Dallas. Thatch/Thompson will headline Colo.
:siren::siren:

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

what in the gently caress? who's fighting lawler?

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

huh wha

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Brown Hendricks will be amazing.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Congrats to Robbie on finally becoming a real UFC champion :patriot:

Edit: Assuming he didn't die or something, what the hell happened?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Did Robbie get injured or what

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

:snoop:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

:)

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

1st AD posted:

dunno, don't care, this is the fight we have been waiting for as human beings since lawler v brown

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

1st AD posted:

bokamotoESPN posted:

I'm told Lawler needed more time before first title defense. Hendricks was down to fight in Dallas. Still expect Rory to fight in Montreal.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Matt Brown and Donald Cerrone are the dudes that should get those jobs for life when they are crippled and unable to fight any more

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
All that AND Rory probably gets more upset?

:vince:

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
has dana ever called someone older than he is "kid"?

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
they keep dancing around it but lawler hasn't been training since he won the belt, due to his busy schedule last year. he probably has some kind of injury

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

So is this on the Pettis/RDA card?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Mr. Nice! posted:

So is this on the Pettis/RDA card?

Yep

code:
Lightweight 	Anthony Pettis (c) 	vs. 	Rafael dos Anjos 				
Welterweight 	Johny Hendricks 	vs. 	Matt Brown 				
Heavyweight 	Roy Nelson 	        vs. 	Alistair Overeem 				
Flyweight 	Chris Cariaso 	        vs. 	Henry Cejudo 				
Flyweight 	Sergio Pettis 	        vs. 	Ryan Benoit

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Tough match up for Brown. I would have rather he fought Rory tbh.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

2015 is already better than all of 2014 combined and it's been two weeks.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
That's a good card

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Ewar Woowar posted:

Tough match up for Brown. I would have rather he fought Rory tbh.

Presumably Brown will get battered or just wrestled to paste, but if he somehow managed to work his magic it would make my week. The way he walks people down is so chilling.

Fighting Erick Silva, Robbie Lawler, and Johny Hendricks is a hell of a year, though.

• Locked thread