Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Sickening posted:

I don't understand how a vcenter server could bring down the entire infrastructure. Are you sure it was the vcenter server?

It was definitely vCenter, and apparently HA was partly the culprit - that was what had everyone scratching their heads. When vCenter went down it took with it all the DAG's, all the databases, all the datastores, and all the configuration files. They had to restore everything from backup and reseed the databases to get email flowing again. I think they have a ticket in with VMware to try and figure out what the hell they did that could have caused such a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Eh, I think FERPA's almost (is?) as big of a deal as HIPAA, and physical access control is almost nonexistent there, so I don't know if I can disagree with them.

Then again I fully admit to being way under-qualified to make a logical judgment one way or the other.

In any case, I learned something new. Just kinda assumed white-listing would be done at most medium/large businesses/environments.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

incoherent posted:

Would you use this or recommend to manage, oh I don't know.......30 million documents (14TB or so)?

Before my time, I know they evaluated it for a wider CMS/DAM but the cost was too high at the time. I would certainly look at the paid version of it for that size of deployment. For what we use it for, it is robust and does not gives us problems. I know they are a big player in the field and echo the 'stay the gently caress away from Sharepoint' mantra.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I work in a university that uses Infoblox. Devices have to have their MAC addresses registered to receive an IP address from DHCP, so part of the process for a new machine is that we look up the MAC address and add them in prior to imaging them.

Is this unusual? I kinda thought most places had a whitelist structure, but again, pretty new.
IP reservations by MAC are common, but it's also common to leave a small free-range space in the DHCP scope to do initial configuration, assuming that the techs will use the web UI from the computer they're setting up. Really, it depends what works best for your org's workflow, though.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Misogynist posted:

IP reservations by MAC are common, but it's also common to leave a small free-range space in the DHCP scope to do initial configuration, assuming that the techs will use the web UI from the computer they're setting up. Really, it depends what works best for your org's workflow, though.

Where I work we're about to install packetfence on basically every switch in the company.

So far the tests have not gone great, with the one guy who is administering all of it frequently yelling things like "it's not supposed to do that!" or "I already told that what to do why isn't it listening" or having servers or registers randomly fall off of the network.

I'm looking forward to the full deployment which I'm guessing will happen within the next month, because if it hasn't worked at 4 stores, what could a hundred more possibly hurt?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Daylen Drazzi posted:

It was definitely vCenter, and apparently HA was partly the culprit - that was what had everyone scratching their heads. When vCenter went down it took with it all the DAG's, all the databases, all the datastores, and all the configuration files. They had to restore everything from backup and reseed the databases to get email flowing again. I think they have a ticket in with VMware to try and figure out what the hell they did that could have caused such a problem.

This makes no sense at all and there is almost certainly more to the story than VCenter crashed because the C: drive filled. VCenter doesn't interact with any of that stuff beyond pushing configuration changes to the hosts, and if it disappears then things will just happily continue running indefinitely.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

NippleFloss posted:

This makes no sense at all and there is almost certainly more to the story than VCenter crashed because the C: drive filled. VCenter doesn't interact with any of that stuff beyond pushing configuration changes to the hosts, and if it disappears then things will just happily continue running indefinitely.

^^^^^^

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Really a more likely scenario is something failed, a tech panicked, and started doing things that only made the problem worse

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Bhodi posted:

Whitelisting is pretty much non-existent due to overhead and management constraints. But then again, it's in healthcare so who knows. I'm long past being surprised at what that sector gets up to.

I really like it on a small scale. I use whitelisting at a shop I do the IT for, since I don't mind helping my brother out. Small enough that whenever a new change comes through I can just go in, grab the device, whitelist it and go home (its on my way home anyway). I did this because someone kept breaking into the Wifi, I assume they were being given the password.

Since the whitelist, no issues.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

NippleFloss posted:

I'm a little perplexed too, afaik HA would fail. Did someone try to use it while vcenter was down?

EDIT - If you don't touch anything while vcenter is down everything should keep humming along.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 14, 2015

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
[quote="Tab8715" post="440219490"]
I'm a little perplexed too, afaik HA would fail. Did someone try to use it while vcenter was down?

How would HA even fail in that scenario? The HA agent exist on each host and they don't suddenly lose their config because vcenter isn't around.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

What if the vcenter server was also their SAN and their database server and their ESX hosts all at once?

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
I'm just telling you what the 1st shift team lead told us about the previous day. Everything was down for over 4 hours while they scrambled to put poo poo right, and he just wanted to let us know the day after in case there were any aftershocks.

If I were a betting man I would wager that our new Virtualization guy did something that started a chain of events that brought the entire infrastructure to its knees, but because he's the only person who has complete access and control over it could say whatever the hell he wanted and no one would be able to gainsay him without a detailed examination by someone with equal access and superior skill. Since there isn't anyone at our location who does, the point is moot.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I'm just telling you what the 1st shift team lead told us about the previous day. Everything was down for over 4 hours while they scrambled to put poo poo right, and he just wanted to let us know the day after in case there were any aftershocks.

If I were a betting man I would wager that our new Virtualization guy did something that started a chain of events that brought the entire infrastructure to its knees, but because he's the only person who has complete access and control over it could say whatever the hell he wanted and no one would be able to gainsay him without a detailed examination by someone with equal access and superior skill. Since there isn't anyone at our location who does, the point is moot.

I weep for our government. These are basic vmware administrator skills that anyone would learn in the first 6 months of working anywhere with a vmware cluster.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Sickening posted:

How would HA even fail in that scenario? The HA agent exist on each host and they don't suddenly lose their config because vcenter isn't around.

Hmm,

Looking into a bit further, it wouldn't necessarily not function but certain aspects wouldn't work. I wish I still had my Stanley lab :(

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jan 14, 2015

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

In other news, I learned today that LinkedIn Groups are actually quite popular and filled with plenty of Dilberts :haw:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I never login to LinkedIn, but I did the other day, and I found a ton of jobs on there that indeed and other search engines weren't picking up in my area. Might have to check it out more often

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

skipdogg posted:

I never login to LinkedIn, but I did the other day, and I found a ton of jobs on there that indeed and other search engines weren't picking up in my area. Might have to check it out more often

LinkedIn over time has also figured out my specific qualifications pretty quickly so it tends to paste pretty appropriate job listings on my front page frequently. At minimum It's keeping me aware of titles and industries that use people like me.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I missed this earlier, but I'm putting an actual $20 up that someone misconfigured isolation response on the HA cluster and the isolation response was what took down vCenter in the first place.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

skipdogg posted:

I've always had a much better response rate from jobs that I've applied to on LinkedIn.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Speaking of Linkedin, I added a ton of you from the goon group - I'm Scott. The group is pretty dead so when I make a post begging for a job in the coming months I'll probably just link to it here

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Bhodi posted:

Whitelisting is pretty much non-existent due to overhead and management constraints. But then again, it's in healthcare so who knows. I'm long past being surprised at what that sector gets up to.

Something that's a little sideways, but if these are physical connections onto a managed switch you can use something like Cisco's CDP to get mac addresses on specific ports. Even if it's not Cisco, if you can just plug it into a specific network port, you'll be able to read / pull the mac address without needing a DHCP lease. You just might have to log into the switch to get the info, but all the switch needs is link up to read - doesn't need an OS.

CDP will give you nothing if its a PC on the other end. You want to do either a "sh mac add" or "sh arp". You'd need to know either the IP of the machine, or where it was plugged in.
If you dont have Cisco switches, you can probably look in your dhcp leases if you know the hostname or IP of the server.

If you have none of this, then yes, you're gonna have to go up to each machine and go an ipconfig /all

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 14, 2015

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Ahdinko posted:

CDP will give you nothing if its a PC on the other end.
Err, I used this exact method to track down rogue PCs a bunch of years ago. Unless I'm remembering what I did wrong, which is possible I guess?

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

psydude posted:

I've always had a much better response rate from jobs that I've applied to on LinkedIn.

It's also much faster to apply. Easy as a few clicks to send the application and because all my data is in LinkedIn there's less annoying hoops to jump through.

I haven't used it to apply since I got my current job, but it was great when I was looking (though I think ultimately Indeed is where the recruiter found me).

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I found my current job via LinkedIn after a whole lot of nothing from Dice and Indeed.

The process was great, is how I'll sum up my current experience.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Ahdinko posted:

If you have none of this, then yes, you're gonna have to go up to each machine and go an ipconfig /all
Well, if nothing else I'm actually just booting into the BIOS and grabbing the MAC address from there, which saves me from going through the initial OOBE junk.

Thanks for the responses all, confirmed my suspicion if nothing else!

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Well, if nothing else I'm actually just booting into the BIOS and grabbing the MAC address from there, which saves me from going through the initial OOBE junk.

Thanks for the responses all, confirmed my suspicion if nothing else!
Who's responsible for running the switches that these computers are plugged into? If it saves you a bunch of time, a network admin might be able to identify the new MAC on the port with a quick script.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Ahdinko posted:

And scroll through all that useless poo poo? :cmon:

"getmac" filters what you need.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
Got a request to deploy some Modbus SCADA signatures to our sensors. I tried calling several departments that manage physical/industrial security to see if they have any machinery or systems that utilize it on their PLCs/ICMs, but none of them know. I think this points to one of the bigger problems with industrial security, which is that the people generally in charge of maintaining these types of systems usually have no idea about the technical underpinnings.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

psydude posted:

Got a request to deploy some Modbus SCADA signatures to our sensors. I tried calling several departments that manage physical/industrial security to see if they have any machinery or systems that utilize it on their PLCs/ICMs, but none of them know. I think this points to one of the bigger problems with industrial security, which is that the people generally in charge of maintaining these types of systems usually have no idea about the technical underpinnings.

Which is exactly why Stuxnet was so successful.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I recently advertised a position which I was unable to fill due to it being in the middle of nowhere and no one with any experience applied. It is either already re-advertised or just about to go out again...

But anyway, I had an internal candidate who didn't have any experience in IT apply - he has decided to email HR and demand an explanation as management encouraged him to apply as he is a respected member of staff who often helps colleagues with IT issues (etc etc etc)

I don't know the guy personally so I had to go from his CV - interestingly his email to HR had more detail about his IT experience than his CV which is why he was unsuccessful. Should be an interesting chat when I give him feedback. Alas... I just want an assistant :(

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Richard Noggin posted:

Which is exactly why Stuxnet was so successful.

.....Imagine stuxnet on an internet of things level....

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

incoherent posted:

.....Imagine stuxnet on an internet of things level....

Another convincing reason not to buy a fridge with a wifi card in it.

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.
I recently started work on a new remote desktop (terminal) server for a client. I wanted to remove the default Server Manager and Powershell icons that are automatically pinned to the taskbar for users. I created a GPO to do this and removed security permissions to these shortcuts via the built-in local Users group. I updated the policy on the terminal server and the icons are still showing up. Hmmm, odd seeing as I was testing this using a domain user. I went to double check the permissions on the files and verified only Administrators can access them.

Naturally I go to check the permissions of the Administrators group, looks normal. Domain admins are administrators and a couple other users which administer the domain. Hmmm...

*opens up Domain Admins group*

"Domain Users"

:aaaaa:

I tested further and confirmed I could access administrative shares on DCs and obviously anything else I want. I immediately brought this up to my boss and he immediately went :ughh:

Let's cross our fingers and hope someone doesn't get CryptoLocker.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
This seems like the most appropriate of the IT threads to ask this. It seems that the Radiology director is getting a bit overwhelmed with doing his normal day to day stuff as well as being the 'PACS Admin'. I feel like my current position is pretty much a dead end, so I'm quite interested in this possible upcoming position and he knows that I'm quite capable as a PC/Server and sometimes network tech. However, I don't know much about PACS. So, I know there's more than a few other fellow healthcare IT folks here. Whats the best way to start learning PACS? More specifically, McKesson PACS (Recently upgraded to v. 12).

I'm definitely going to be searching around on this when I get home, but I thought I'd ask here as well.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

Roargasm posted:

Another convincing reason not to buy a fridge with a wifi card in it.

Just wrap the fridge in tin foil.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

TWBalls posted:

This seems like the most appropriate of the IT threads to ask this. It seems that the Radiology director is getting a bit overwhelmed with doing his normal day to day stuff as well as being the 'PACS Admin'. I feel like my current position is pretty much a dead end, so I'm quite interested in this possible upcoming position and he knows that I'm quite capable as a PC/Server and sometimes network tech. However, I don't know much about PACS. So, I know there's more than a few other fellow healthcare IT folks here. Whats the best way to start learning PACS? More specifically, McKesson PACS (Recently upgraded to v. 12).

I'm definitely going to be searching around on this when I get home, but I thought I'd ask here as well.

McKesson will have training. PACS as a concept is fairly straightforward, but each vendor does things differently. You could always talk to the dude and see if he can offload some of the more basic admin functions to you, and learn as you go.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Richard Noggin posted:

McKesson will have training. PACS as a concept is fairly straightforward, but each vendor does things differently. You could always talk to the dude and see if he can offload some of the more basic admin functions to you, and learn as you go.

Yeah, I'll definitely talk to him and let him know I'm interested in the position. The other hurdle I just found out about is that he's also wanting the PACS admin to be a Rad tech as well. Here again, I certainly wouldn't mind learning that but, again that's going to take some time to learn.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Misogynist posted:

I missed this earlier, but I'm putting an actual $20 up that someone misconfigured isolation response on the HA cluster and the isolation response was what took down vCenter in the first place.

I actually have administrative access to vCenter, whereas everyone else in the Messaging team is restricted to VMUser. Apparently it was just too hard to give me VMUser access, so the project lead overseeing Virtualization just went ahead and gave it to me. I commented that I wouldn't do anything bad in vCenter like delete a VM from disk, and he just gave me a pained expression.

It's actually been pretty useful having that access because there's been a few times when a DAG cluster would suddenly go down and no one would have the first clue on 3rd Shift what was happening. I usually sit over by myself since I'm weekend 3rd shift (you know - the lowest of the low) and that's when one of them remembered that for a time I actually monitored and maintained the virtual infrastructure's physical components and could at least log in to vCenter.

drat, I really need to get my VCP5 now. Maybe there's going to be a job opening soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
Goons, help settle a useless argument with my IT-employed friends:

Datacenter vs Computer Room vs Server Room. Which one is right? When do you use each? Generally I consider a room full of systems, dasd, etc to be a computer room, while the building these rooms are in is the datacenter. But most of the time when I call a computer room a computer room, I get laughed at for sounding antiquated. Opinions?