Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I'm pretty much done with TF2 because they smoothed out the burst damage from non-melee weapons. Without burst damage most game modes become slogs, sentry's and healing become too strong and of course the number of demomen who can actually demolish stuff is usually hovering near zero.

They've also screwed up the balance between speed and health, the charging targe was the beginning of the end, but now most classes can move faster then they were originally supposed to often without a downside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can you still sticky jumper to the sniper positions and ullapool caber the super blind snipers. I had a loving blast doing that on koth_lake or whatever its called.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Powercrazy posted:

I'm pretty much done with TF2 because they smoothed out the burst damage from non-melee weapons. Without burst damage most game modes become slogs, sentry's and healing become too strong and of course the number of demomen who can actually demolish stuff is usually hovering near zero.

They've also screwed up the balance between speed and health, the charging targe was the beginning of the end, but now most classes can move faster then they were originally supposed to often without a downside.

:whitewater:

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW

FactsAreUseless posted:

What's everyone's favorite class? My favorite is every class except Heavy and Medic, I play all of them.

Pyro is pretty much all I play. I love the Backburner so much.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Yea it sucks because the physics and mechanics of TF2 were really appealing to me.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Powercrazy posted:

Yea it sucks because the physics and mechanics of TF2 were really appealing to me.

No I meant that the game is still really fun and an Uber can still murder a sentry easily.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Eye of Widesauron posted:

No I meant that the game is still really fun and an Uber can still murder a sentry easily.

Good luck finding an uber :xd:

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Powercrazy posted:

Good luck finding an uber :xd:

I never have any problems with that.

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW
It would be pretty cool if someone set up a server and we could all play. I would host one but my modem I have is some proprietary bullshit where I have to call my ISP to change the ports. I wouldn't mind going through all that if a sizable amount of people want it tho.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

I never have any problems with that.

Pub stomping with your friend on Mumble doesn't count.

I've found that whenever I play on random servers there is usually never a medic, or if there is a medic he is using the quickfix or vaccinator, or he is battle-medicing.

On the rare case there actually is a medic, and he is using uber (or kritz) and he IS actually healing someone besides his pocket heavy it's usually a roll because the other team isn't doing any of that.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Wootman posted:

It would be pretty cool if someone set up a server and we could all play. I would host one but my modem I have is some proprietary bullshit where I have to call my ISP to change the ports. I wouldn't mind going through all that if a sizable amount of people want it tho.

There will be enough people for about 30 minutes, then everyone will start gimmicking and it will be indistinguishable from a normal quickplay server, then everyone will leave and never return.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Powercrazy posted:

I've found that whenever I play on random servers there is usually never a medic, or if there is a medic he is using the quickfix or vaccinator, or he is battle-medicing.

On the rare case there actually is a medic, and he is using uber (or kritz) and he IS actually healing someone besides his pocket heavy it's usually a roll because the other team isn't doing any of that.

It sounds like you're getting lovely servers. There are several good ones in the browser despite the Games mantra of they are all furry/mlp/mann machine servers.

If I ask for an uber I don't have a problem getting one most of the time. If a server sucks I leave it and blacklist it.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Powercrazy posted:

There will be enough people for about 30 minutes, then everyone will start gimmicking and it will be indistinguishable from a normal quickplay server, then everyone will leave and never return.

Why would you ever use quick play?

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW

Powercrazy posted:

I'm only ever gonna host it when a bunch of people wanna play and I'm up. Not gonna be a 24/7, and I can install some fun poo poo like TF2Ware when we wanna mess around.

ROBO_ERECTUS
Sep 5, 2007

Let me take you for a ride.
Scout is fun because he is fast and has a shotgun, plus he has funny quips, but I like to play soldier because I am bad at the game and have lovely aiming skills due to my console fps upbriniging. I dont give a gently caress about balance, and neither should you unless you're a "competetive TF2 player" (lol).

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Why would you ever use quick play?

Because all the servers on my favorites list are either empty or full.

I have furry pound #4, and STARS_ as consistently full good servers, which is great when i get in. But what about when I don't?

Psycobladder posted:

Scout is fun because he is fast and has a shotgun, plus he has funny quips, but I like to play soldier because I am bad at the game and have lovely aiming skills due to my console fps upbriniging. I dont give a gently caress about balance, and neither should you unless you're a "competetive TF2 player" (lol).

Balance is important for a good game whether casual or competitive, idiot.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Wootman posted:

Pyro is pretty much all I play. I love the Backburner so much.

I call it the Blackburner, Lol.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I like scout but it seems like he has a high skill ceiling and the people who have played that class for the last decade are going to be way better.

Heavy is cool because everyone who plays him employs the same strategy of "walk from a to b while unloading bullets and laughing maniacally."

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW

Pewdiepie posted:

I call it the Blackburner, Lol.

same

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Powercrazy posted:

Hell, a team with a medic that actually heals already has a huge advantage over a team that doesnt

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

PantsBandit posted:

Heavy is cool because everyone who plays him employs the same strategy of "walk from a to b while unloading bullets and laughing maniacally."

If you play payload (the most popular gamemode) you don't even have to walk, the cart will just push you and eventually you'll win, welcome to tf2 :)

qnqnx posted:

Hell, a team with a medic that actually heals already has a huge advantage over a team that doesnt

Right but what happens in that case is the team with the medic dominates the team without, so in response the whole other team goes engineer and turtles at spawn. So after rolling the first 3 points, the last one never gets captured because the medics have no idea what they are doing and refuse to use anything but the quickfix. Then of course your team ends up with 5 spies (to counter the engineers :downs: ), 2 QF medics a heavy and 3 demoknights and surprisingly you can't take last.

ROBO_ERECTUS
Sep 5, 2007

Let me take you for a ride.
Balance is good, but in a game like TF2 with a million loving items, balance is impossible. Also I question the pursuit of "balance", in fighting games there are always characters that end up being better than the rest, just look at MvC2. That game was extremely imbalanced, but it was those dicrepencies and the changing meta that kep it so popular in the competative scene. Trying to balance TF2 is like trying to balance smash while playing with items on, its a fools goal.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Powercrazy posted:

If you play payload (the most popular gamemode) you don't even have to walk, the cart will just push you and eventually you'll win, welcome to tf2 :)

Right but what happens in that case is the team with the medic dominates the team without, so in response the whole other team goes engineer and turtles at spawn. So after rolling the first 3 points, the last one never gets captured because the medics have no idea what they are doing and refuse to use anything but the quickfix. Then of course your team ends up with 5 spies (to counter the engineers :downs: ), 2 QF medics a heavy and 3 demoknights and surprisingly you can't take last.

Snipers are a hard counter to heavies. If there's a heavy being a problem a head shot can solve that really fast. It sucks when you chronically have like 10 of them but that sounds like a lovely server problem.

Most of these problems sound like you just keep playing quick play and hitting really bad servers.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Most of these problems sound like you just keep playing quick play and hitting really bad servers.

Yea, that is ultimately the problem. It's hard to find a good game of TF2 these days.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

What's everyone's favorite class? My favorite is every class except Heavy and Medic, I play all of them.

Scout, and Sniper.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I also like the Demo Man but, I'm not that good at it.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Sandvich.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Other then the really bad item stuff, and payload, and criticals, and the fact that half the items are OP without criticals, and the medic, and a couple other things my biggest complaint is projectiles come out of the side of the screen rather than in the middle.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
lol still whining about the medic in TYOOL 2015

Medic is fine, game was designed around the uber mechanic.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I love raping noobs with the soldier.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Powercrazy posted:

lol still whining about the medic in TYOOL 2015

Medic is fine, game was designed around the uber mechanic.

Tis one of the problems.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Engineer is pretty bad as well and makes the CTF in the game one of the worst in gaming history.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wootman posted:

I have a VPS with I think enough resources to run a medium size TF2 server. I never use it for anything besides some extremely basic (and bad) coding projects that I want to show people.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

I have a VPS with I think enough resources to run a medium size TF2 server. I never use it for anything besides some extremely basic (and bad) coding projects that I want to show people.

I wouldn't go through the trouble since the server will be completely empty 24/7 within 2 weeks, as happens with all "We could all play together" goon projects.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Wormskull posted:

Engineer is pretty bad as well and makes the CTF in the game one of the worst in gaming history.

CTF is a bad game mode unless you are playing tribes.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wormskull posted:

I wouldn't go through the trouble since the server will be completely empty 24/7 within 2 weeks, as happens with all "We could all play together" goon projects.

The joke is I wouldn't even play it because I can't stand TF2 except for the co-op mode anymore.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Powercrazy posted:

CTF is a bad game mode unless you are playing tribes.

I assume you meant Quake, but, agreed.

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW

Larry Parrish posted:

The joke is I wouldn't even play it because I can't stand TF2 except for the co-op mode anymore.

We could use it for other Source games maybe, it doesn't have to be running 24/7. Just running whenever anyone wants to play a game or gently caress around.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wootman posted:

We could use it for other Source games maybe, it doesn't have to be running 24/7. Just running whenever anyone wants to play a game or gently caress around.

Also I've never done it before so it would be a learning experience I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW

Larry Parrish posted:

Also I've never done it before so it would be a learning experience I guess.

Its not hard at all tbh

• Locked thread