Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
## Support the Suspected Crypto-Discordian

Let us let fate decide which of our allies we lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

##Support the Suspected Crypto-Discordian

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Readingaccount posted:

Honorable President.
If we have won a great victory, where is our new territory to complement our booming prestige? The filling meat to that heady wine? Noor Sallajer, despicable muslim that she is, greatly enhanced our territory, bringing us satellite states and territory as well as prestige! Despised though her name may be her accomplishments were blessed!
I thank you for bringing us glory, but the other hand is EMPTY!

The true goal of Byzantium has been to weaken France, not build Germany. Where is our Helvetia? Where are our Mediterranean bases? All our wars have been won by wide margins, Germany did not truly need that strength, where our objectives could have been attained while strengthening Byzantium with total Alpine and Mediterranean Dominion! I charge you, and your predecessors with attaining infamy for naught but prestige and the expansion of a foreign ally, now so enlarged she may soon break free of our influence!

PS. Please don't listen to those fools begging for the expansion of Hindustan at the expense of Marathra at OUR cost. They are useful fools, nothing more.

OUR INFAMY = OUR LAND!

This man has the right of it! How can we spend the lives of our citizens in exchange for nothing?! How can we bleed ourselves dry, giving our "allies" of today the strength to become the enemies of tomorrow? It cannot continue! If our sons and daughters are to die, let it be for a crop our sons and daughters will reap! Let the spoils go to them, not two-faced "friends" who will spend it on our destruction! The only way to safeguard the future of Byzantium is to make it self-reliant, mighty and resourceful, with allies of convenience only, never of necessity!

For this to happen we must remove the Bulgarian and Italian thorns in our side, we must take the dagger of Da Qin off of our back and beat it into a Byzantine sword, and we must seize resource rich colonies from around the globe! Our enemies wait for even a hint of weakness! We cannot give it to them, now or ever! We must turn our great nation into an eternal edifice, bestriding the world as the colossus it was born to be!

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
##Support the Gentleman Physician

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The Germans have served their purpose. We achieved our goals with them, and they achieved theirs through us. They got their land back, we got a strong ally against the French. With the British, though, the world is open to us, not just Europe.

Jalak
Nov 23, 2013

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

When do we learn head explosions?
I will say this for our expeditions into loving France: It has shattered what seemed an unstoppable force and created counter-weights.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Ideally I would wish to support both the Holy Roman Empire and the British, but I feel that the British are a more prudent choice if we have to choose. Of course that isn't to say we should chain ourselves solely to Britain, we should of course pay careful attention to how the winds are changing.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

This man has the right of it! How can we spend the lives of our citizens in exchange for nothing?! How can we bleed ourselves dry, giving our "allies" of today the strength to become the enemies of tomorrow? It cannot continue! If our sons and daughters are to die, let it be for a crop our sons and daughters will reap! Let the spoils go to them, not two-faced "friends" who will spend it on our destruction! The only way to safeguard the future of Byzantium is to make it self-reliant, mighty and resourceful, with allies of convenience only, never of necessity!

For this to happen we must remove the Bulgarian and Italian thorns in our side, we must take the dagger of Da Qin off of our back and beat it into a Byzantine sword, and we must seize resource rich colonies from around the globe! Our enemies wait for even a hint of weakness! We cannot give it to them, now or ever! We must turn our great nation into an eternal edifice, bestriding the world as the colossus it was born to be!

Aye, the Presidents fritter away our time and infamy, attaining prestige, but losing the very thing they thought to build, a strong ally. And now Sapoutekaniz (w/e sp) dares whine about Rhodes still being separate from Constantinople (though I do like that Emperor's name...) and obliquely refer to Italian disunity when there have been four defenseless Italian and Alpine city states she and her predecessors could have picked up at any time, an independent Malta, Bulgaria, Swiss France, French islands in Mare Nostrum, a Crimea ripe for conquest but conquered by others, and half of Cilicia being held by the Da Qin!

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 15, 2015

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Josip Kovač, Dubrovnik Polis

With the ascendancy of the Holy Roman Empire, our bulwarks against France have never been stronger, the German land forces and the British Expeditionary Forces all have served as useful hammers to use against our foes, so for the moment we really shouldn't think about discarding them...

That being said though, if we are placed into an uncomfortable situation whereas we must choose one ally over the other, I personally feel that we should favor the British given our long histories, though again I feel it imperative we try and hold both alliances if at all possible. By keeping France surrounded we ensure that any threat it might pose is minimal or at least, one that has to respond to threats on multiple sides.

With the British we get more ships to blockade the French for the ever more important stage of global commerce, which in this era of rapidly expanding war is becoming all to crucial and the HRE gives us more men fighting on the bloody Eastern Front. Losing either isn't a pleasent prospect, for if nothing else, it means more Byzantine blood must be shed in the event of another war. Better a Brit or a German die instead than more of our sons and daughters perish in the field of battle.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

##Support the Exiled Russian Intellectual
crimea
Brutus Salad
TheMcD
Redeye Flight

Juvenalian.Satyr
AdventFalls
Tulip
StrifeHira
420 Gank Mid
Frontspac
Ogianres
HiHo ChiRho
GSD
WeaponGradeSadness
Rubix Squid

theblastizard
ZearothK
RZApublican
QuoProQuid
GunnerJ
Sky Shadowing
frankenfreak
Lord Cyrahzax
Hitlers Gay Secret
loquacius
Patter Song
Chwoka
Jalak
sniper4625
Gravity Cant Apple
Jimmy4400nav

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
##Support the Gentleman Physician.

I do hope though, that this alliance will benefit us, and not Great Britain, unless it is for the purpose of the annexation of the non-Christian Iroquois by Scotland! Two decades have been wasted, growing the HRE when Bulgaria and Rhodes and the French Alps should have been conquered.
We have a list of obvious targets President!

1) Sofia
2) Rhodes
3) Ferrara
4) Pisa
5) Piedmont
6) Lai Ang Crimea
7) Crimea
8) Sardinia
9) Corsica
10) The Baleares
11) Da Qin Cilicia
12) The French Alps
13) Burgundy/Switzerland
14) Hungarian Croatia
15) A modded annexation of Azerbaijan after a war. They've served us well, and now they must give up their independence, even though that'll make them less efficient in two hundred years they'll speak our language and follow our customs!
16) More Da Qin land

Well... as far down this list as infamy permits!

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jan 15, 2015

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Dry Hump
Sep 14, 2013

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Hiratine all three, conquer Bulgaria.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

I just can't say no to discordianism.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
:siren: Vote closed! Results and next vote shortly.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

##Support the Exiled Russian Intellectual
crimea
Brutus Salad
TheMcD
Redeye Flight

Juvenalian.Satyr
AdventFalls
Tulip
StrifeHira
420 Gank Mid
Frontspac
Ogianres
HiHo ChiRho
GSD
WeaponGradeSadness
Rubix Squid
Readingaccount
Aeromancia
cokerpilot
Akratic Method
NewMars
Talas

theblastizard
ZearothK
RZApublican
QuoProQuid
GunnerJ
Sky Shadowing
frankenfreak
Lord Cyrahzax
Hitlers Gay Secret
loquacius
Patter Song
Chwoka
Jalak
sniper4625
Gravity Cant Apple
Jimmy4400nav
LowellDND
Dry Hump
GoatLord
ThatBasqueGuy
Sindai
:siren: 21 :siren:

DAY TWO: MILITARY PRIORITIES
(OOC: Regardless of which wins, I'll try to get that last province back from Bulgaria eventually, but they're still in France's sphere so that might take a while)

Destiny calls us east, gentlemen and ladies! We have already liberated so much of the old Roman Empire— let us bring freedom to the peoples of the Old Roman East. If Da Qin wishes to claim the mantle of Rome, let them contend with Rome's destroyers. Cilicia will be free. And after that-- the Holy Land? Arabia? The sky's the limit, friends!
##Support the Bearded Grognard

Counter-revolution lurks on our very doorstep! Hungary has fallen to cruel reactionaries and suffers under the tyranny of an absolute despot! The time has come to secure a more defensible northern frontier for the Republic— oh, and bring democracy to the Hungarians. Whatever!
##Support the Industrious Philanthropist

The most pressing threat to our state is Italian nationalism, which threatens to tear some of the richest and most densely populated poleis from the breast of the Republic. Ferrara has even fallen directly under the sway of these anarchists! The only solution is the true unification of Italy— under Byzantine governance. Ferrara, Siena, Lombardy— these cities no more deserve the title of "state" than Rome, Pisa, or Florence. Anyway, if we don't take them, the French probably will, eventually.
##Support the Coffeehouse Intellectual

Perhaps the time has come to adopt a more defensive posture? Our power rests not upon the soldier's sword, but the diplomat's pen, after all. Alienating our network of patronage and alliances through bellicose actions would be as disastrous for us as losing the territory directly has been for the French. We must bide our time.
##Support the Prudent Diplomat

Empress Theonora fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 15, 2015

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

A difficult decision. I must ##Support the Bearded Grognard, as the East will never come under our fold diplomatically: Italy will.

Edit: Switched vote later on.

Lord Cyrahzax fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 15, 2015

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

We must take care of our garden, there is no place like Rome.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

edit: posted a new vote further in the thread

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 15, 2015

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Maybe let's not go barreling over the infamy limit at full speed.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Let nationalism in Italy run its course-- let real freedom ring!

Ogianres
Oct 21, 2008
## Support the Prudent Diplomat

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

The Intellectual's "if we don't, France will!" claim might have worked a decade ago, but not today. France has been broken.

The Philanthropist's support of Democracy is worth giving praise, but should be taken only after we're sure Byzantium herself can be protected. Rash actions cannot be taken without a clear gameplan, and one needs a better one than just declaring Hungary to be liberated from tyranny. Let us solve this with our alliances and diplomacy before jumping head-first into another war.

The Bearded Dude's shouts are laughable and the Imperialism he proposes is outdated, to say the least.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Those borders are just not pretty.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
The ##Bearded Grognard, of course!

The momentum of history must be maintained, lest we allow stagnation to rust away the very edifices of our state. We have won three great victories in a row - why not a fourth? A fifth? Let us march to reclaim lands long stolen, let us make the Eastern Mediterranean a Roman lake once more!

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

##Bearded Grodnard

sniper4625 posted:

The ##Bearded Grognard, of course!

The momentum of history must be maintained, lest we allow stagnation to rust away the very edifices of our state. We have won three great victories in a row - why not a fourth? A fifth? Let us march to reclaim lands long stolen, let us make the Eastern Mediterranean a Roman lake once more!

In due time of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Gentlemen and women of the republic, let us beat our swords into plowshares and drink deep of the well of peace! And not get everyone in Europe killed.

Support the Prudent Diplomat

• Locked thread