Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

What's GIPs opinion on dog breeding anyways? I know some people really want a particular type of dog. And I guess it makes sense if you need a herding dog or something? But it gets a little crazy with great danes and poo poo. But I've always seen it as selfish (Obviously rescue mutts rule and are the best)

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

mutts are the best dogs but all dogs own

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Boxers are the best dogges.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

right but I mean people that are intentionally breeding a ton of dogs when there's so many that need homes etc

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
All dogges are the best dogges.

kelvron posted:

Pette all dogges.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
All dogges want pets; therefore, pet all dogges.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Christoff posted:

What's GIPs opinion on dog breeding anyways? I know some people really want a particular type of dog. And I guess it makes sense if you need a herding dog or something? But it gets a little crazy with great danes and poo poo. But I've always seen it selfish (Obviously rescue mutts rule and are the best)

Personally I don't like supporting "purebreds" most of the time because they often come from mills and mills are loving depressing, and bad.

If it comes from a private breeder, than just make sure they have a healthy life and don't get ripped off. Sputnik is purebred and he's an adopt from someone who didn't have the time to care for him.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
My mom spent $2000 on a sheltie that got flown in from Texas.

What

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

holocaust bloopers posted:

All dogges want pets; therefore, pet all dogges.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Gwen is a cardigan corgi who failed out of the show dog business and was adopted by my grandma. She may have been abused by her previous owners, and may also be borderline retarded. She's like the Brick Tamland of dogs. But she doesn't bark, bite, or go fast, so she's a great companion for a 94 year old lady. And a good dogge.

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

For satisfactory performance while under the effects of hostile enemy alcohol.
gently caress you forever if you support puppy mills. My sheltie was a rescue and was used for puppies. While I'm sure they were insanely cute, she is traumatized as gently caress and even though we've had her well over a year, she still hides in a corner all day every day. It's loving sad and depressing because she's an amazingly cute dog who everyone loves. She just thinks everyone is going to beat her.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

when we first got Roscoe the dude was extremely scared of men and would piss on the floor every time i would clip his leash on to take him for a walk.

figured out it was submission urination and with about a couple weeks worth of work he got out of it, he was probably abused/hit a lot before he was rescued

now he just loving chills out all day and gives little/no fucks

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
All of my mutts have been rescues.

Our newest goof is a Border Collie/Goldie mix.

She is 5, maybe 30 pounds thanks to her previous owners and afraid of everything.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Our boxer had been abused prior to use getting him - some scars from hitting and infected feet/hair loss from being left standing in his own poo poo and piss in a cage all the time. He finally escaped somehow and was living on the streets of Chicago in January when he caught and handed over to a rescue shelter. He was 35 lbs and you could see bones under the skin very clearly. A few weeks of daily showers and ointments took care of the infections and skin, a few months of overly indulgent attitude about table scraps and he got back up to full weight. He spends his days laying on a spare bed watching the neighborhood out the windows and sleeping in the sun, gets 3 meals plus treats every day, and sleeps in front of a fire place on 3 stacked dog beds at night.

he won the puppy dog lottery.

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

For satisfactory performance while under the effects of hostile enemy alcohol.
My little girl barely eats (we have shopped around a lot before finding some stupid expensive, freeze dried, PI approved pet food she seems to like*), sits in a corner near a sliding door hiding behind curtains, and only shows any sign of life when we take her outside.

It's super loving sad because we can't even really train her because she doesn't respond to poo poo and thinks she's going to get beat whenever we try to get her to do something. She still gets scared when we (mostly i, she actually likes my wife to some extent) try to give her treats for Christ's sake. It's super sad and I hate it because she is literally the only dog I've ever met who doesn't like me :(

*by like I mean she will actually eat it on a fairly regular basis. Getting her to eat is a feat because she thinks she'll get beat for eating the food we put right in front of her.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

Yeah don't blame breed dogs for their owners' mistakes. All dogs p much own.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
gently caress anyone that hurts animals.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Mike-o posted:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mike-o posted:

No, don't gently caress anyone that hurts animals.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Christoff posted:

What's GIPs opinion on dog breeding anyways? I know some people really want a particular type of dog. And I guess it makes sense if you need a herding dog or something? But it gets a little crazy with great danes and poo poo. But I've always seen it as selfish (Obviously rescue mutts rule and are the best)

Do your research on the breeders you are looking at.

Some really shady poo poo goes down with dog breeding. Make sure they are registered with AKC, have all the proper paperwork, blah blah blah...

If you plan on actually breeding a dog, don't.

Edit:

Lion attack.

http://youtu.be/DuHO2KcX6bI

:3:
also
:cop:

Genocide Tendency fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jan 13, 2015

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Seattle-dogs-rush-hour-ride-on-the-bus-by-herself-weekly-288345081.html

Komo posted:

SEATTLE -- Public transit in Seattle has gone to the dogs.

Commuters in Belltown report seeing a Black Labrador riding the bus alone in recent weeks. The 2-year old has been spotted roaming the aisles, hopping onto seats next to strangers, and even doing her part to clean the bus -- by licking her surroundings.

"All the bus drivers know her. She sits here just like a person does," said commuter Tiona Rainwater, as she rode the bus through downtown Monday. "She makes everybody happy. How could you not love this thing?"

When the dog got off the bus - without an owner - at a dog park last week, it piqued the curiosity of local radio host Miles Montgomery.

"It doesn't really appear to have an owner. The dog gets off at the dog park. I just look out the window and I'm like, 'did that just happen?'" Montgomery asked. "She was most concerned about seeing out the window, and I couldn't figure out what that was. It was really just about seeing where her stop was."

Turns out the dog, Eclipse, doesn't always ride the bus alone. She visits the dog park a few times a week, sometimes with her owner.

The duo lives right near the bus stop at 3 Ave. W. and W. Mercer Street. Eclipse's solo rush hour ride happened one day when her owner took too long to finish a cigarette.

"We get separated. She gets on the bus without me, and I catch up with her at the dog park," said Jeff Young, who owns the dog. "It's not hard to get on. She gets on in front of her house and she gets off at the dog park, three or four stops later."

Young said the tradition has been going on for a while.

"She's been here the last two years, so she's been urbanized, totally. She's a bus-riding, sidewalk-walking dog," he said. "Probably once a week I get a phone call. 'Hi. I have your dog Eclipse here on 3rd and Bell,'" he recounted. "I have to tell them, 'no. She's fine.' She knows what she's doing."

A spokesman for Metro Transit said the agency loves that a dog appreciates public transit.

"She would be much safer in the world if she had her owner on a leash," he joked.

"It makes their day," added Young. "It's a good part of their day and it works out for her so I just let it go."

:3: :3: :3:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

My gf is just absolutely obsessed with great danes and if we get a dog(s) one of them has to at least be one. She had one for a while but had to get rid of it when she moved a bit ago. She was showing me this **WARNING AD GREAT DANE PUPS** craigslist ad where someone was calling out a BYB (backyard breeder - taken straight from the ad) because they were claimed to be 3 generation of champions or some poo poo, no paperwork, and one was a color that only happens when a genetic mishap occurs and it couldn't ever be a show dog and she was telling me how they're very sensitive to breeding and can have a lot of health problems and all the other poo poo wrong with what she was doing etc etc. The pictures were a cage in a dirt lot in a backyard it looked like. Idk it just seemed ironic because I'm all about rescues and that's all we had growing up but she rage emailed the lady and posted a warning craigslist ad herself.

oldie but goodie

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 14, 2015

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

fromoutofnowhere posted:

I know this is a dog thread, but I own cats, and while I love them, gently caress them. This was my chair until they took it over.

I've done this with my chair, and they both look at me like I'm an idiot, which I probably am, but I'm trying to be nice instead of just picking them up by their ears and chucking them across the room.

The catte thread is in yospos. This thread is for dogges.

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR
Only pussies have cats.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Christoff posted:

My gf is just absolutely obsessed with great danes and if we get a dog(s) one of them has to at least be on

Im going to say this now and save you the horrible experience.

Do not get a dog with a girlfriend.

Imma repeat that.

Do not get a dog with a girlfriend.

When you two break up she will take it. Regardless of her even liking the dog. She will take it, just because you love it and its all you want and she can "keep everything but just let me have the dog". That bitch is taking the dog just to be a bitch to you. And unless you were running Patricia Driscoll on the side, there isn't a loving thing you can do about it.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

You can keep the kids but bitch I will break your kneecaps if you try to take my dog.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If you own the drat mutt there's not a thing he/she can do.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Is he okay? :ohdear:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mak0rz posted:

Is he okay? :ohdear:

He's fine

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

I will never know joy like this dog does at that moment.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

That just makes me so extraordinarily sad. I am just going to tell myself he got rescued by awesome dudes in a helicopter.

On a better note, our boxer made it through surgery and is recuperating well. The prednisone they have him on makes him drink, eat, and piss like no tomorrow.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.

evil_bunnY posted:

If you own the drat mutt there's not a thing he/she can do.

Yup, if you're not married make sure you're the one to take it to the vet and register all the contact info and bills under your name, particularly the microchip info and the county/city registration.

For that matter, do it even if you are married so you have some kind of legal leg to stand on if you get divorced.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 15, 2015

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Tide posted:

That just makes me so extraordinarily sad. I am just going to tell myself he got rescued by awesome dudes in a helicopter.
No need. It happened in Bosnia, here is the waterfall during the summer

You can see the one he is on, it isn't too bad. The rangers came out to deal with it, apparently ti is a regular thing for deer and wild boar to end up where he is. They finally coaxed him to jump back into the water and he swam to the other side and ran off into the woods, presumably to join the hunter he belonged to.

quote:

On a better note, our boxer made it through surgery and is recuperating well. The prednisone they have him on makes him drink, eat, and piss like no tomorrow.

very good to hear

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Tide posted:

There are pills that make dogges more dogge. What a world we live in

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

:catstare:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

:sissies:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

:bigtran: