Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Tig Ol Bitties posted:

I made carnitas for the first time! I vaguely followed the Serious Eats recipe, but they turned out really delicious. My husband doesn't really like...food...so when he tried them his reaction was "meh, I don't really like carnitas."

Dont feed him for a few days. Hunger is the best sauce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Tig Ol Bitties posted:

My husband doesn't really like...food...so when he tried them his reaction was "meh, I don't really like carnitas."

The sex must be indescribably good because those carnitas are incredible and I am googling the recipe

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Tig Ol Bitties posted:

I made carnitas for the first time! I vaguely followed the Serious Eats recipe, but they turned out really delicious. My husband doesn't really like...food...so when he tried them his reaction was "meh, I don't really like carnitas." So I'm sharing them here because your food makes me happy.

We were out of flour for tortillas so I turned them into nachos using up some leftover roasted veggies. Not very photogenic, but still delicious. Yay, guac!

Tell him the internet says he's needs to stop being a bitch and learn to eat food like an adult.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

There was reason behind the odd pairing; given the components of the dish were quite heavily spiced, i thought I'd try something to work as a palate cleanser which still had some punch to attempt to stand up to the lamb but could let the spices come to the front again after a drink. Wasn't a bad combination at all and doesn't hurt to try something new, though in hindsight a lighter red may well have done the job better - but i had the bottle sat there already. (I sure as hell wouldn't attempt this with a less spiced dish though.)

Olpainless fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jan 15, 2015

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

iajanus posted:

Love that bread, could I get the recipe, please?

I didn't make the bread myself, just used a small storebought Italian bun and did this to it: http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/cheesy_jalapeno_pull_bread/

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Roasted sweet potato, red onion and poblano pepper topped with over easy fried eggs and a bunch of Tapatio. Also, Jameson.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Mexican chicken en papillote:

Spicy as hell, but delicious.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Olpainless posted:

There was reason behind the odd pairing; given the components of the dish were quite heavily spiced, i thought I'd try something to work as a palate cleanser which still had some punch to attempt to stand up to the lamb but could let the spices come to the front again after a drink. Wasn't a bad combination at all and doesn't hurt to try something new, though in hindsight a lighter red may well have done the job better - but i had the bottle sat there already. (I sure as hell wouldn't attempt this with a less spiced dish though.)

I was just busting your chops, as red bordeaux and lamb is such a classic pairing.
Not a bad idea - I just think that white bordeaux is a pretty lightweight white to press into service here, though. A white with a good deal of body and a little residual sugar: Alsatian Pinot Gris, California Viognier (Condrieu if you're got the $ to blow) would be the move for a white.
Light reds are often suggested for spicy foods, but I think this refers to capsaicin spicy-hot . This is because tannins and alcohol will amplify this. If it is "spicy" as in "it has a lot of different flavorful spices" and is based on a pretty hearty red meat, I would go big red instead: big new world Syrah/Shiraz, California Cab, Southern France, maybe Italian Amarone/Ripasso.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
i pizza'd again. couldn't wait to eat some before taking a picture though

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Doh004 posted:

Tell him the internet says he's needs to stop being a bitch and learn to eat food like an adult.

Yeah the guy basically said he doesn't like crispy, spicy meat. That's not awesome.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

you know how john waters says if you go home with someone and they don't have books, don't gently caress them? don't gently caress picky eaters.

e: made banh mi on fresh pain a l'ancienne

money shot :fap:

sploosh

wheez the roux fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jan 17, 2015

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

wheez the roux posted:

gently caress you gimme that

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

wheez the roux posted:

You have to tell me how you make your bread, I implore you.

Rick Deckard
Jan 3, 2007
Ex-blade runner

sweat poteto posted:

http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016815-pasta-with-fried-lemons-and-chile-flakes

To which I added celery (fried off with the lemon), and roast squash + roast garlic. I'm enjoying these "dry" pasta dishes at the moment.

I tried this and the lemon was very bitter. Hmmm.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Rick Deckard posted:

I had the same issue. I ended up just pulling the lemon pieces out on the side. I may try it again sometime, but blanch the lemon longer.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Last night, made seafood in a fish coconut sauce with lemongrass over fried vermicelli. Clams, shrimp and tilapia. The sauce made some of the noddles soft, so the textures were great.

Today for lunch, BLTs with arugula tossed with shallots and chives in sherry vinaigrette made with the bacon fat, tomato feta mayo and marinated herb feta cheese.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

Rick Deckard posted:

I like it better with no sliced lemon, but instead some lemon peel (made with a regular peeler) thrown in the pan oil before adding pasta. Garlic, lemon, squash and parsley is a good combo.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

FrancoFish posted:

Last night, made seafood in a fish coconut sauce with lemongrass over fried vermicelli. Clams, shrimp and tilapia. The sauce made some of the noddles soft, so the textures were great.

Today for lunch, BLTs with arugula tossed with shallots and chives in sherry vinaigrette made with the bacon fat, tomato feta mayo and marinated herb feta cheese.

Impressive first post. Nice technique, esp if you you made the bread yourself.

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME
This week's bike-portable treat will be French toast 'muffins'.

If only I could find a non-messy way of including maple syrup, I'd be in heaven.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Nelson Mandela posted:

If only I could find a non-messy way of including maple syrup, I'd be in heaven.

You can buy maple sugar or make your own maple crystals using maple syrup (google "Maple Crystals"), then place them into the batter in layers (batter->crystals->batter, repeat depending on desired maple density). Think McGriddle (you can google Copycat McGriddle and just use the part about the maple crystals for this too).

I mean I've never tried it but it seems do-able. And those muffins look like they would be worth the trouble to experiment on.

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

some say he's a rude dude with a crude 'tude

Corned beef brisket, turned out better than I thought it would

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Supporters of whatever they're calling the club this week.
xpost from the Jook thread:

Saffron broth congee
Lemongrass Pork Shoulder
65c Egg
Cilantro/Green Onion/Shallot/Ginger/Thai Chili slaw
Caramelized Fennel
Forest Mushrooms
Chili Oil (I forgot to find lao gan ma this morning)

I liked the congee, and I liked the toppings, I dont know if I actually like them together.
Tomorrow I'll make a seafood set of toppings, probably will go better with the saffron broth.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

PatMarshall posted:

You have to tell me how you make your bread, I implore you.

i used this recipe as a base: http://www.crumblycookie.net/2008/07/17/pain-a-lancienne/

personally i let the dough sit in my fridge 3-4 days minimum and have yet to encounter an upper limit on how long you can leave it there. my fridge is especially cold though so it ferments incredibly slowly, results may vary with a warmer fridge. also i follow the note he leaves about baking it at the higher temp for a shorter amount of time. no one's (home" oven is going to drop 150+ degrees in a minute to make a difference there anyway. i cook it at full 550ºF blast, on a baking stone on the top rack for ~12ish minutes or until it looks good. I put my cast iron pan on the bottom rack when i preheat and when i put the bread in (with my peel) I dump a cup or so of hot water into it and close the door asap. about 6 minutes in i dump another cup (or whenever i stop seeing steam rise out o f the oven vent)

shape the boules however you want, i do banh mi size rolls for this but you can also make baguettes. it also makes an incredible pizza crust if you use slightly more flour and/or are more willing to work with rolling/tossing extremely wet dough. parbake the crust a little bit before topping imo to make it easier to work with

franco
Jan 3, 2003

FrancoFish posted:

Hey kinda sorta username buddy - would you make my sammiches for work tomorrow, please? TIA (that is one hell of a sandwich!).

sharkattack posted:

moroccan lamb lasagna with feta béchamel

I hate making lasagne. Hate hate hate it. No sane person can do it and not think "You know what? Next time I think I'll just buy one or go out and order one instead". You may have changed the game with this. Although it did feel like I spent 3 days putting it together it was oh so worth it.

I was worried that, despite my dish being the right dimensions, mine was shallower as it seemed like a lot of ragu/béchamel. Greased up an additional smaller dish for that eventuality, but it fit (just)!

Although the bottom of my oven didn't thank me after cooking - slightly overspilling. Oops.

Mine flumped a bit when plated but that's my fault rather than the recipe's - a combination of too small a dish, clumsiness and apparently buying the world's stringiest mozzarella (trigger warning for lactose intolerant gwspooners - this uses all the cheese).

Absolutely first class though. Great recipe despite mine being not as pretty! :drat:

spachethespatula.com posted:

so expect to see another weird-o flavor combo lasagna

If that is weird-o then count me as weird.

sharkattack posted:

You inspired my dinner last night---only I added roasted sprouts on top because I am obsessed with them.

Me too (it helps that you can buy a truckload for pennies right now since silly gooses seem to think they're only for Christmas). Eat all the sprouts. With chilli/garlic/ginger/soy:

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

franco posted:

(trigger warning for lactose intolerant gwspooners - this uses all the cheese).

Unff. I'd sacrifice my guts for that. A friend asked me last night, what my dying meal would be if I knew I was going to die. I said, all the cheeeeese. And a fatburger milkshake.

Ayem
Mar 4, 2008

franco posted:

Me too (it helps that you can buy a truckload for pennies right now since silly gooses seem to think they're only for Christmas). Eat all the sprouts. With chilli/garlic/ginger/soy:

Ugh, brussels sprouts are unnecessarily expensive here (Edmonton) right now. Stores are trying to get $2.50/lb for them, when they used to be 99 cents.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Ayem posted:

Ugh, brussels sprouts are unnecessarily expensive here (Edmonton) right now. Stores are trying to get $2.50/lb for them, when they used to be 99 cents.

And they're lovely. Or maybe that's just Calgary, but they're always pretty crummy.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Echeveria posted:

Unff. I'd sacrifice my guts for that. A friend asked me last night, what my dying meal would be if I knew I was going to die. I said, all the cheeeeese. And a fatburger milkshake.

Aww drat - I was actually thinking of you specifically when I wrote that, just couldn't quite remember your username! That does sound like a good dying meal plan :unsmigghh:

Ayem posted:

Payback! Visiting Canadian friends tend to just about faint when they see us Brits pay about CAN$1.50 for ONE corn on the cob. I hear the government pays YOU to take huge baskets full of them over there ;)

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

franco posted:

Aww drat - I was actually thinking of you specifically when I wrote that, just couldn't quite remember your username! That does sound like a good dying meal plan :unsmigghh:

<3

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Tried a shepherd's pie recipe from a cast iron cooking book that I got for Christmas. Pretty standard recipe I think except that it uses feta in the topping rather than cheddar or whatever. Would make again.

Wizzle
Jun 7, 2004

Most
Parochial
Poster

I got invited out to a real, working farm to cook a farm-to-table meal. Other than pancetta, carrots, leaks and some seasonings, everything was grown on the farm.

Mandolined potatoes with a tarragon leaf, sauteed rainbow chard with pancetta and braised short ribs from Dexter cattle.

We served it with Bordeaux.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Pales in comparison to everyone else's amazing food but made a beef roast tonight with veg and kale salad - lemon/garlic/olive oil dressing.

Rub for the beef is fresh rosemary, thyme, brown sugar, cayenne, Hungarian paprika, sel gris, ground black pepper, made into a rubbable mixture with olive oil to promote a crusty exterior.

Should have shot at f/8 but oh well.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

I'd eat the gently caress out of that. Beef + potatoes is my favorite.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Agreed, that is a ridic cut you got there

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
For Christmas dinner, I made Kenji's stuffing (replacing sausage with mushrooms+sage), and made a TON, so I froze some. Used the last of it up for Sunday breakfast – Stuffing Frittata with cheddar and Romano:

Then for dinner, we used up some of our bounty from the farmer's market – Tagliatelle with garlic, beet greens (got these for almost free), cherry tomatoes, and goat cheese:

The pasta was good, the frittata was INSANE.

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

How does this pale compared to anything!? What cut is this? It makes me want to break my mini-abstinence from red meat...

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

plasmoduck posted:

How does this pale compared to anything!? What cut is this? It makes me want to break my mini-abstinence from red meat...

It's a fairly long example of a blade cut (blade roast cut, not an under blade). It's a cut basically only used for roasting or stewing because you have to cut out a run of gristle that runs along the short axis near the center (that's why mine is cut down like it is). I did the groceries super early in the morning and basically looked at everything they had there until I found the one that was most marbled, was this. Thanks for the kind words guys.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

almost looks like a slightly leaner chuck roast. i did a big one sous vide then sliced it up for BBQ sandwiches, like slightly classier sloppy joes. it owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Third annual Hobbit party

Afternoon tea - scones with jam and seedcake, mostly already devoured. Dinner - Roast duck, cheeses and breads, pork and mushroom pie, eggs in baked celeriac, salad, apple tart.

For the road.

Bo kho - Vietnamese beef and carrot stew with Vietnamese style baguette

Also made a basic sourdough boule while the oven was on

• Locked thread