Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

cmndstab posted:

No. Liberal Times is a satire site. http://www.liberaltimes.com.au/

I wanted it to be true too :(

To be fair there is an actual US House rep who believes using wind power is going to use up all the wind.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

sticklefifer posted:

To be fair there is an actual US House rep who believes using wind power is going to use up all the wind.

Head of a scientific committee, wasn't/isn't he?

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

sticklefifer posted:

:psyduck: Whaaaaat? Goddamn that's scary.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

sticklefifer posted:

That would be Congressman Joe Barton.

Time.com Article posted:

In a 2009 hearing, Barton implied that wind is a "finite resource" and that harnessing it would "slow the winds down" which would "cause the temperature to go up."

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
Well yeah. You absorb the wind energy and convert it, you've removed it from the atmosphere. That energy won't be available to blow branches around on trees or the top hat off a fancy man. Thus, temperatures rise.

shitty poker hand
Jun 13, 2013

shitty poker hand has a new favorite as of 19:55 on Apr 11, 2023

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Well yeah. You absorb the wind energy and convert it, you've removed it from the atmosphere. That energy won't be available to blow branches around on trees or the top hat off a fancy man. Thus, temperatures rise.

Yep, thought this was the common line of thought.

It is finite after all.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Eggbeater Jesus
Sep 21, 2008

Add a dab of lavender to milk. Leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it.

sticklefifer posted:

Solution: Plant more trees, so their sneezes can power the cities of the future.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

This has happened three times in the three years I've worked at a newspaper. One, we called a guy a "dedicated pubic servant." The other, a third-party candidate for governor wanted to "blow up the pubic school system and start again." Headlines written by one guy and proofed three times. The brain is cool in how it parses what you meant to write/read what was meant to have been written.

Stockholm Syndrome
Mar 30, 2010

Eat This Glob posted:

This has happened three times in the three years I've worked at a newspaper. One, we called a guy a "dedicated pubic servant." The other, a third-party candidate for governor wanted to "blow up the pubic school system and start again." Headlines written by one guy and proofed three times. The brain is cool in how it parses what you meant to write/read what was meant to have been written.

No, thats just laziness/ dyslexia/ not focusing at all. Sorry. But it's hilarious either way.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

http://crimefeed.com/2015/01/man-vandalizes-girlfriends-car-psychic-dream-strap-sex-dead-grandmother/

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

They mean Australian Shepherd dogs

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
I imagine the shame was so great, he had to notify the newspaper?

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I'm pretty sure my old paper once printed a cutline that used the phrase "filling the panties" on a picture about food pantries needing donations. Wasn't on a page of mine, thankfully.

We also used the headline "HE BEAT IT" when Michael Jackson was acquitted, and no one who was working that day thought there was a double entendre in it. It happened that all 3-4 of us under-30 copy editors had that day off. We explained it to the rest of the desk - and the editor, and the city editor - when we came to work the next day.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Tobaccrow posted:

I imagine the shame was so great, he had to notify the newspaper?

It's an old story: http://www.snopes.com/college/risque/daughter.asp

The picture is of The Mirror, a British tabloid reporting a story from Zimbabwe, so probably take it with a grain of salt.
http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2011/12/03/Man-orders-prostitute-daughter-arrives/23601322899200/

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Well, how else would you accept them? :confused:

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
I did a bad thing once. A water main broke on Magrill Street, and I gave the photo an alliterative filename. Just a cute little silly thing that only we in the office would see.

And then the fuckin' copy desk used it as the hed.

"Moist" is one of those words you just don't use in a newspaper. It's not my fault, the desk should have known better.

Useless
Sep 13, 2003
I'm keeping three or four fingers crossed you get a buick up the ass before the night is over.

Delivery McGee posted:

I did a bad thing once. A water main broke on Magrill Street, and I gave the photo an alliterative filename. Just a cute little silly thing that only we in the office would see.

And then the fuckin' copy desk used it as the hed.

"Moist" is one of those words you just don't use in a newspaper. It's not my fault, the desk should have known better.

"Main makes Magrill moist"?

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Useless posted:

"Main makes Magrill moist"?

mcgeemakesmoistmuslimsmarrymultiplemen.png was always going to be a filename that ended in trouble.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

cat_snake
Nov 19, 2014

Florida Man?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
https://twitter.com/TIME/status/554857937521631232

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
I wasn't quick enough to get a photo, but the local broadcast just aired a piece called "VICTIM IDENTIED."

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Was it in Missippi?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The Guardian perhaps not up quite up to date with their slang here.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Grool is a term from the film. Lindsey Lohan meets a cute guy at her new school and gets all flustered.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Pththya-lyi posted:

Grool is a term from the film. Lindsey Lohan meets a cute guy at her new school and gets all flustered.

Yes I know that.

It also primarily means something else now. Google "grool" and report back.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I'm just going to pretend it's Groot's brother and stay happy.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Mr. Flunchy posted:

The Guardian, stop trying to make grool happen.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Yes I know that.

It also primarily means something else now. Google "grool" and report back.

I already did. I must not, and will not, recall what I found.

E: vvv I MUST NOT, AND WILL NOT, RECALL. vvv

Pththya-lyi has a new favorite as of 13:49 on Jan 15, 2015

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Pththya-lyi posted:

It's common slang for vaginal lube you bunch of enormous pussies.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Pththya-lyi posted:

E: vvv I MUST NOT, AND WILL NOT, RECALL. vvv

AAAH THE FEMALE BODY :gonk:

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Snapchat A Titty posted:

AAAH THE FEMALE BODY :gonk:

I have a female body, I just find that term really creepy and would prefer to pretend it doesn't exist