Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Crow Jane posted:

Let's not forget Stephen Fry as Reaver and Simon Pegg as Finn.

In Fable 3 the "evil" brother was voiced by Michael Fassbender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
So I've mentioned Coin Crypt in one of these threads before but I forget which. It's a procedurally generated dungeon crawler with permadeath where your weapons are coins, but your currency is the same coins, which are used to buy items that make you faster or your coins better. I could ramble about the mechanics but I have a plan to do that better in the near future. The point I want to get to is that there are Key coins. There are locked doors on most floors that require a Key coin to unlock. You usually find 1 key per door per floor, and the doors usually hide chests full of useful or rare coins. However, the issue with carrying them is that all coins are usable in combat, including ones that have no effect in battle which effectively wastes them as a form of battle pressure. As such, the key coins have no effect in battle... except for one specific instance.
One of the enemy types is the standard chest Mimic, whose overworld model is that of a loot chest, except when you approach it charges at you. If you use the key coin in battle against the Mimic, it dies instantly and drops several money coins that it wouldn't drop from fighting it regularly. The game never tells you this and you can only figure it out by experimenting or being told by someone who has.

Another feature is the clever use of the simplistic graphics. The lighting in-game is weird because of the voxel-like graphics, but you can actually see oddities and patches that are too bright for your circle of light's position. When you see the bright walls, it's an indicator that there's a hidden room that you can walk into the wall to get to.
Also, some secret treasure rooms have secret treasure rooms hidden within them.

This game is really good guys.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Fable's best casting decision was John Cleese as your butler in Fable III. Somehow I can't find a video of it but hearing a Monty Python alum confusedly stammer out "You’re... you’re dressed as a chicken. What are you... what are you planning to do... dressed as a chicken?" when you put on the chicken suit is probably the best use of voice acting in video games.

Although this Tim Curry scene in Red Alert 3 comes close:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yMy7JuGpJM

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I laugh how you can see Tim Curry just about to crack under the strain of what he's saying there. Red Alert's entire outtake reel is like that. :haw:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

EmmyOk posted:

As for a little thing, in MGS2 you can sneak up on enemy soldiers and hold them up. While you have them held up you can shoot their radios to stop them calling their cronies for back-up.

They varied in courage when you held them up, too, and the type of gun you used influenced the chances of them getting scared and giving you stuff. The tranq pistol would get a lot of people being brave, and you'd really have to push to get them to do much, but bigger, more obviously lethal weapons would have higher success rates.

The best weapon for holding people up? Rocket launcher.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Cleretic posted:

They varied in courage when you held them up, too, and the type of gun you used influenced the chances of them getting scared and giving you stuff. The tranq pistol would get a lot of people being brave, and you'd really have to push to get them to do much, but bigger, more obviously lethal weapons would have higher success rates.

The best weapon for holding people up? Rocket launcher.

I might be misremembering, but I don't think you can hold people up with the rocket launcher/explosive weapons in the latter MGS installments because come on, you're not gonna blow yourself up too, are you?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Not only do explosive weapons work but it actually causes the soldier to wet himself. :v:

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007
PS4 is offering Infamous: First Light for free this month. Short game, lots of challenges to do.

It plays out like a parallel dimension version of X-Men: The Jubilee Story. YOur "Super power" is controlling Neon gasses so you weild the might of Razzle-Dazzle. I really gotta play Infamous now, this was my first one of the series.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I've played none of the games but in 'The Witcher 3' one of the important menacing characters is played by Charles Dance, which is definitely the best voice casting.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Playing an early copy of Citizens of Earth, a top-down, turn-based RPG. I noticed very quickly how similar it looked in gameplay to Earthbound, but when I found a police bulletin that warned of "a spiteful youth with a baseball bat, beating up crows", I knew that the similarities were intentional in some way.

What I love is that they kept one of the best parts of Earthbound in this game: not only will enemies run from you if you're significantly stronger, but getting into fights that are very outmatched in your favour will instantly defeat the enemy and give you exp (and items) without having to actually get into battle. From what I know this is the only game other than Earthbound (or I guess the Mother series) that does this, and it baffles my mind as to why this is the case.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Morpheus posted:

Playing an early copy of Citizens of Earth, a top-down, turn-based RPG. I noticed very quickly how similar it looked in gameplay to Earthbound, but when I found a police bulletin that warned of "a spiteful youth with a baseball bat, beating up crows", I knew that the similarities were intentional in some way.

What I love is that they kept one of the best parts of Earthbound in this game: not only will enemies run from you if you're significantly stronger, but getting into fights that are very outmatched in your favour will instantly defeat the enemy and give you exp (and items) without having to actually get into battle. From what I know this is the only game other than Earthbound (or I guess the Mother series) that does this, and it baffles my mind as to why this is the case.

Paper Mario's the only other one I can think of.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Morpheus posted:

Pretty sure the creator is one of the original developers of earthbound.

e: Was sure I read about that being the case but I can't find anything perhaps I misremembered.

Overminty has a new favorite as of 10:11 on Jan 11, 2015

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

EmmyOk posted:

I've played none of the games but in 'The Witcher 3' one of the important menacing characters is played by Charles Dance, which is definitely the best voice casting.

Witcher 2 is a good game worth playing if you have the chance, the first one is kind of take it or leave it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Finally got to play AC: Black Flag now that I own a PS4, and I love that you can manually make your crew start singing a sea shanty :allears:.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Finally got to play AC: Black Flag now that I own a PS4, and I love that you can manually make your crew start singing a sea shanty :allears:.

Can you make them sing a specific one, though?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LoonShia posted:

Sadly, no. It just uses the D-Pad to select either "Sing" or "Disable Singing". Why you wouldn't want sea shanties as you sail the West-Indies I have no idea :shrug:.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

LoonShia posted:

Essentially, yes. I think you can just double-tap the directional pad, and they'll skip over to the next song and cycle through the list until you get the one you want. A bit obtuse, but hey, it's better than nothing! :D

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
The only problem with the shanties is that I can't put "What Do You Do With a Drunken Sailor" on infinite repeat.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Pneub posted:

Paper Mario's the only other one I can think of.

You do need to equip a certain type of badge to be able to do this mind you.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Morpheus posted:

There are a few games I know of that copied that idea half-way, e.g. Suikoden with its "Let go" option, Persona 3 with its enemies running away (but you'd still have a fight if you ran into them), Dragon Quest VIII with its "Intimidate" (and Holy Water for most of the series, negating random encounters with monsters of lower levels), but none that I've played that uses the idea outright, which is really weird, because it's a good system and games to copy those often. I guess it'd cut down on grinding too much.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Tracula posted:

If I personally had an issue with MGR:R it's the whole thing with Jack the Ripper being an alter ego/devil trigger/whatever. I thought the thing with him being Jack the Ripper worked better just with him being that much of an efficient killer, not a switch he can basically turn on and off.

Ripper mode is basically him having 'Nam flashbacks.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Anatharon posted:

PTSD: The Power-Up.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Suikoden has an option where you can bribe enemies to let you go, or if they're weaker than you, you can let them go for free. Unlike the run option, they're 100% effective. So not quite the same as automatically defeating the enemies (and getting the reward), but sort of similar to Earthbound in being able to avoid fights you are way overpowered for.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Anatharon posted:

This reminds me of the third person Punisher game on the PS2. You had a berserk mode that basically make Castle go full PTSD and start hearing all the awful poo poo he'd suffered through life, giving him super murder powers. It wasn't original but the way everything got muted and made to sound off in the distance - as his flashbacks got louder and more prominent - was creepy as hell.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Who What Now posted:

The only problem with the shanties is that I can't put "What Do You Do With a Drunken Sailor" on infinite repeat.

I rather like listening to the apathy in some of the songs.

:v: "Please tell me, what is this sailboat's name?"
:geno: "It's the sailboat Malarkey."

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

I'm playing AC:IV for the first time as well but I am really disappointed they took out guards freaking the gently caress out and running away if you killed enough of them. That was the best thing about II.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Szurumbur posted:

There are a few games I know of that copied that idea half-way, e.g. Suikoden with its "Let go" option, Persona 3 with its enemies running away (but you'd still have a fight if you ran into them), Dragon Quest VIII with its "Intimidate" (and Holy Water for most of the series, negating random encounters with monsters of lower levels), but none that I've played that uses the idea outright, which is really weird, because it's a good system and games to copy those often. I guess it'd cut down on grinding too much.

I remember at least one of the PS2 Persona games, possibly both, also had the mechanic that if you got the first strike on a random encounter, then you'd have a 100% chance to flee in that first turn.

I'm genuinely not sure what thread to put this in, so it's winding up here by default because I like it: I've tripped something in Bravely Default, be it intentional or not, that has caused the entire game to just really loving hate one of my party members, Ringabel. Since starting Chapter 5 literally every boss is out for his blood; he's not integral to my strategy either, he's neither the tank, chief damage-dealer or the healer. He's not even the most killable, the game has just arbitrarily decided that he needs to die in every fight, and will pull out attack plans that would kill far more important members of my party to do so.

This turned from 'weird and annoying' to 'hilarious' when I realized that the AI will compromise its own strategies to do it. Support enemies will go on the offensive, despite having a job to do, specifically to murder Ringabel. It happens so predictably that I've started pre-emptively queueing up revives on him, because it's such a given that he's going to die.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Szurumbur posted:

Blue Dragon - it's a shield ability your shadow can learn rather than something that "just happens", but it's there.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Cleretic posted:

I'm genuinely not sure what thread to put this in, so it's winding up here by default because I like it: I've tripped something in Bravely Default, be it intentional or not, that has caused the entire game to just really loving hate one of my party members, Ringabel. Since starting Chapter 5 literally every boss is out for his blood; he's not integral to my strategy either, he's neither the tank, chief damage-dealer or the healer. He's not even the most killable, the game has just arbitrarily decided that he needs to die in every fight, and will pull out attack plans that would kill far more important members of my party to do so.

This turned from 'weird and annoying' to 'hilarious' when I realized that the AI will compromise its own strategies to do it. Support enemies will go on the offensive, despite having a job to do, specifically to murder Ringabel. It happens so predictably that I've started pre-emptively queueing up revives on him, because it's such a given that he's going to die.

The game does have some sort of aggro system, since you have accessories that can manipulate it. I have no idea how it actually works, though.

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014

Cleretic posted:

I remember at least one of the PS2 Persona games, possibly both, also had the mechanic that if you got the first strike on a random encounter, then you'd have a 100% chance to flee in that first turn.

I'm having the same phenomenon with Tiz. It's kind of annoying too because he's my chief attacker at the moment.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Saints Row the Third's use of Kanye's "Power" was perfect. The E3 trailer with Johnny Gat taking a bullet on the line "I need a moment" and the setpiece where you parachute in and steal a penthouse work no matter how you interpret the lyrics.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Sociopastry posted:

In Animal Crossing: New Leaf, you'll sometimes trip. If you trip on the beach or in snow, there will be an imprint of your big, round head. Makes me giggle like an idiot every time.

This is from a few pages ago, but a few other things happen when you trip. If you have a carry-out coffee, you spill it and get sad about it. If you're holding a balloon, you let go and it floats away.

However the best, and most difficult to pull off, is if you trip just the right distance from a tree. Normally, you fall on your face. Instead, you slam into the tree really loving hard, then fall backwards on your rear end. I only managed to do it once, but it was extremely amusing.

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

I've recently been replaying the original Red Faction, and aside from how fast and exciting the gunfights feel, I was really impressed with how well a lot of the level design holds up. The latter third of the game does get a bit samey, but right up till the end the levels are huge, with side rooms and whole sections to explore that have no real bearing on the game, and multiple routes to take. It creates the impression that you're travelling through a much larger world, one that's not just there for your story. Compared to, say, Half Life 2, which I love to bits, where basically every player is going to travel through every room in the game, Red Faction makes you feel like you've got some input into where you end up going.

I think it is a bit of a shame they didn't really know what to do with the geo-mod technology, but that's been said a hundred times before.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

dads_work_files posted:

I've recently been replaying the original Red Faction, and aside from how fast and exciting the gunfights feel, I was really impressed with how well a lot of the level design holds up. The latter third of the game does get a bit samey, but right up till the end the levels are huge, with side rooms and whole sections to explore that have no real bearing on the game, and multiple routes to take. It creates the impression that you're travelling through a much larger world, one that's not just there for your story. Compared to, say, Half Life 2, which I love to bits, where basically every player is going to travel through every room in the game, Red Faction makes you feel like you've got some input into where you end up going.

I think it is a bit of a shame they didn't really know what to do with the geo-mod technology, but that's been said a hundred times before.

I used to go into a deathmatch map and dig into the wall with rockets to see how far I could get. It would take like 5 minutes of shooting and grabbing reloads before it wouldn't let you go any farther. It's basically a Minecraft prototype.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Does Volition still own GeoMod or was it sold to the new owners of Saints Row?

Everyone has had the thought to mix those and/or the destructible materials from RF:G.
Saints Row 4 would have been perfect since it's all a simulation so having buildings and mountains respawn would make sense.

Far Cry 4 is a hoot, no doubt. There is a part of me that wants to start recording every session because this happened today:

Scoping out a camp I need to liberate and I've done so many before that now it's melee kills or nothing for me.
I take out 9/10 guards and all that is left is a sniper on the ground near a pig pen.
Easy kill except when I circle around the hut he starts losing his mind because an eagle (Cliff Racer) comes swooping at him. That is, not at him but at a pig.
The eagle picks up the pig by the rear end, the sniper shoots the eagle in the face and the pig lands and kills the sniper.

The Golden Path ought to erect a statue for that brave winged friend.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Inzombiac posted:

Does Volition still own GeoMod or was it sold to the new owners of Saints Row?

Everyone has had the thought to mix those and/or the destructible materials from RF:G.
Saints Row 4 would have been perfect since it's all a simulation so having buildings and mountains respawn would make sense.
As I recall, Volition still has Geomod, but some other company got the rights to Red Faction, so they can't do another Red Faction game.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Inzombiac posted:

Far Cry 4 is a hoot, no doubt. There is a part of me that wants to start recording every session because this happened today:

Scoping out a camp I need to liberate and I've done so many before that now it's melee kills or nothing for me.
I take out 9/10 guards and all that is left is a sniper on the ground near a pig pen.
Easy kill except when I circle around the hut he starts losing his mind because an eagle (Cliff Racer) comes swooping at him. That is, not at him but at a pig.
The eagle picks up the pig by the rear end, the sniper shoots the eagle in the face and the pig lands and kills the sniper.

The Golden Path ought to erect a statue for that brave winged friend.

I have never played Far Cry and don't plan on it (bit too complicated for me) but I just love hearing the crazy stories that people have from it. This one got a good laugh out of me. It's a blast to watch too; my roommate plays it once in a while and it's always fun to see the wild stuff he gets up to.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Tiggum posted:

As I recall, Volition still has Geomod, but some other company got the rights to Red Faction, so they can't do another Red Faction game.

Which is both a blessing and a curse- Red Faction Armageddon was pretty awful apart from the destruct/reconstruct mechanic. And the hidden weapon

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Obviously we just need a Saint's Row game with the same level of destruction that Red Faction had :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Does that kind of thing happen more often in far cry 4? I read so many people mention how good far cry 3 is at making emergent stories, but when I played it I saw almost nothing like that except variants of "an animal attacked the enemies I was fighting," and every story I've read about it basically followed that same premise. Still more interesting than most modern games but the range of possible random things that could happen really didn't seem as broad as people made it sound.