Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

One question, will there be Steam achievements?
Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I was actually meaning to ask at some point how much was cut from this game, comparative to other games you've made. I mean virtually every game is cut up in development, obviously, especially big ones, but I was curious if the presence of a present and attentive publisher correlated to more cuts, or if budget and time necessitated the totality of them.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I try to structure all of our content and feature lists with simple and clear priorities, so while there were some areas, abilities/spells, and features that got cut, there weren't that many and those cuts were not particularly harmful. I would always much rather have us do cuts than have the publisher make cuts. Our internal production staff exists largely to deal with (and alert us to problems with) logistics and prioritization, so for this project the presence of an external publisher was not necessary for development.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Forton and Cadegund must be pissed that they got the boot.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

IIRC it wasn't necessarily that they were fully cut, but that they were taken out of the CNPC pool.

Speaking of which, when the CNPC plans shifted, did writing duties shift as well? Did each writer have a pool of potential characters that they ended up getting assigned from in the final design? How far into the game were the characters (if not their particular mechanical details) set in stone?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

We originally talked about each of the companion designers handling two characters. That shifted a little, so I wound up with one character and Olivia Veras took another. Eric Fenstermaker, Carrie Patel, and Chris Avellone each wrote two.

Companion designs shifted around a bit before they were written, but not tremendously. I did the original high-level design for companions, but some of those were either replaced or modified. Edér went from a fighter to a rogue and back to a fighter based largely on how companions were expected to be spaced out. Ultimately, we decided it was more important for the player to have access to a really durable front line character than a single target offense character -- especially since you encounter Aloth very early as well.

rope kid fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 15, 2015

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

rope kid posted:

We originally talked about each of the companion designers handling two characters. That shifted a little, so I wound up with one character and Olivia Veras took another. Eric Fenstermaker, Carrie Patel, and Chris Avellone each wrote two.

Companion designs shifted around a bit before they were written, but not tremendously. I did the original high-level design for companions, but some of those were either replaced or modified. Edér went from a fighter to a rogue and back to a fighter based largely on how companions were expected to be spaced out. Ultimately, we decided it was more important for the player to have access to a really durable front line character than a single target offense character -- especially since you encounter Aloth very early as well.

How are you feeling about the kickstarter model for production of medium sized team games?

Has this been an experience you would like to repeat, or more just a kind of one off fun thing?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

In my current playthrough I'm running a monk so I have decided to turn Edér into the Rock of Gibraltar. It's working out well.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

rope kid posted:

In my current playthrough I'm running a monk so I have decided to turn Edér into the Rock of Gibraltar. It's working out well.

... he's made of limestone and home to Macaque monkeys?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

There are 3 editions of the game. That's the Royal edition. The Hero edition is $44.99.
http://www.gog.com/game/pillars_of_eternity_hero_edition

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

rope kid posted:

Oh THATS what Mykki Blanco was saying

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Forton and Cadegund must be pissed that they got the boot.
Those must be the two that the interview said were too much. I choose to believe that the world was simply not ready for them.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:

rope kid posted:

We did account for it, but since tile/texture sizes are rather large compared to the IE, it is not as easy for us to flip a small area of the map. We had that "style" of transition early on and it caused various complications that were not worth solving in the greater context of the project.

That's a shame. They would probably look smoother as they are now if the Fade to Black triggered when the party was closer to the transition and was faster to bring up the loading screen.

Sensuki fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 15, 2015

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:
As Edér is now a Fighter again, is there a Rogue companion at all?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Hey rope kid, do you have any information whether or not the physical copies are going to make it for the release date? All the other kickstarters I've backed with physical copies have had those out pretty late compared to the actual release date.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Dolash posted:

It appears I am a monster of bad taste since I finished the original Shadowrun Returns campaign and thoroughly enjoyed it but only got about halfway through Dragonfall and haven't picked it back up. I'm not even sure why, it's a good game and I can tell it's got more depth and nuance than the original campaign but something about it drags for me.

I'm afraid something similar might happen with Pillars of Eternity. I haven't been able to finish the beta demo so far, I keep trying and I get about fifteen minutes in each time but every time I end up quitting. I'm telling myself it's because it's a demo and I don't want to spoil the full game, but PoE's made a point of being a spiritual successor to the great Infinity Engine games and come to think of it 12-year-old me never got further than halfway through Baldur's Gate 2 either.

Has anyone else played the demo but not been able to complete it? I'd be curious if anyone else had the same reaction.

God this is from forever ago, but yeah I had this problem. I've had the backer beta since the day it launched, and I hadn't finished a full play through until last weekend, and I hadn't gotten past the ogre cave for at least a couple of weeks after it came out. It didn't help that I tried to use asdf habitually for scrolling the window, and then the game would seem to randomly speed up or slow down so I thought the whole thing was a terrible buggy mess and it was basically unplayable. Once someone on the forums mentioned the slow/fast mode I realized what was going on and got past the stupidly hard opening fights but still didn't enjoy the gameplay enough to get past the ogre. Adding the 6th party member and going 2x mage did the trick for me, along with all of the other improvements that have gone into the beta since it launched. Give it another shot!

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Fewd posted:

Hey rope kid, do you have any information whether or not the physical copies are going to make it for the release date? All the other kickstarters I've backed with physical copies have had those out pretty late compared to the actual release date.

This is from the dev forums: http://pedevtracker.azurewebsites.net/Post/View/35915

Brandon Adler posted:

Since I am sure some of you are wondering, we will be trying to get physical copies in people's hands as close to the release date as possible. It is somewhat inexact because shipping times can vary around the world, but it should be pretty close. We will let everyone know once the physical goods have started shipping out.

quote:

We are going to try to hit the release date exactly (or as closely as possible). Boxes are in production as we speak.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Ok, that's cool. Release date is now close enough that can slowly start to get pumped up for this :unsmith:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Since they're working with a legit publisher for that stuff and not doing it themselves, it'll probably be as close to a conventional release as KS gets.

a slim pixie
Dec 29, 2008

an earworm burrowed into my frontal lobe

Basic Chunnel posted:

Since they're working with a legit publisher for that stuff and not doing it themselves, it'll probably be as close to a conventional release as KS gets.

inXile worked with Deep Silver and yikes was that a mess.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

a slim pixie posted:

inXile worked with Deep Silver and yikes was that a mess.

He did state legit publisher.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Reminder they will be a livestream of some new stuff (Defiance Bay?) on the Paradox twitch channel today at 1PM PST, which is a little under 4 hours from now.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I literally have exactly enough in my Steam Wallet for this game. All other game purchases are on hold. I kind of hope it goes on sale again heheee....but I'll buy it anyways when it comes out! Awesome!

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Did they ever back track on the XP via Checkpoints idea after having everyone tell them that was a stupid mechanic?

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

XP for quest objectives?

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
How are healing and death managed in this game?

I loved Baldur's Gate 2, but I hated having to rez my characters, I know some people love that degree of difficulty, but I hope they make an option in lower difficulties for characters to be knocked out, not dead.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I've purposefully kept myself ignorant on this game to avoid the hype train. Just one quick question, is the character builder for your companions in this game like BG 2 (their classes are already set, you just choice their skills when they level up)?

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

drgnvale posted:

God this is from forever ago, but yeah I had this problem. I've had the backer beta since the day it launched, and I hadn't finished a full play through until last weekend, and I hadn't gotten past the ogre cave for at least a couple of weeks after it came out. It didn't help that I tried to use asdf habitually for scrolling the window, and then the game would seem to randomly speed up or slow down so I thought the whole thing was a terrible buggy mess and it was basically unplayable. Once someone on the forums mentioned the slow/fast mode I realized what was going on and got past the stupidly hard opening fights but still didn't enjoy the gameplay enough to get past the ogre. Adding the 6th party member and going 2x mage did the trick for me, along with all of the other improvements that have gone into the beta since it launched. Give it another shot!

This problem with assuming asdf was scrolling or movement happened to me as well. This really shouldn't be the default key bindings, I bet a lot of people would so playing after 20 minutes because of this.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Sensuki posted:

XP for quest objectives?

Yes.

I've read that this was the only way to get XP and not from killing stuff.

Is that not the case?

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Yes.

I've read that this was the only way to get XP and not from killing stuff.

Is that not the case?

I don't think they're planning to give you XP for kills which I'm personally fine with. I think they mentioned possibly giving XP for expanding the bestiary.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

Not anymore. You can now get quest by killing a limited number of monsters to fill out your Bestiary, and also via entering areas and unlocking traps and chests.

Personally I don't care too much about the Bestiary XP but I really don't like lock and trap XP that much

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
how much of the game is actually in the beta

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sensuki posted:

Not anymore. You can now get quest by killing a limited number of monsters to fill out your Bestiary, and also via entering areas and unlocking traps and chests.

Personally I don't care too much about the Bestiary XP but I really don't like lock and trap XP that much

Is it possible to toggle what gives and doesn't give EXP?

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

Red Suit posted:

How could they possibly balance player progression if you are able to toggle what things give you xp?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Eonwe posted:

how much of the game is actually in the beta

A small town called Dyrford and two wilderness areas that house a dungeon or a cave.Only sidequests and any main quests are omitted.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

UrbicaMortis posted:

I don't think they're planning to give you XP for kills which I'm personally fine with. I think they mentioned possibly giving XP for expanding the bestiary.

I'm only worried because the only other game I've ever played like that was Chrono Cross and that game was awful. For lots of reasons. XP system just being one of them.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

Red Suit posted:

I don't think it is, but the lock/trap/exploration XP is pretty minor overall. It could probably be modded out, at worst.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I'm only worried because the only other game I've ever played like that was Chrono Cross and that game was awful. For lots of reasons. XP system just being one of them.
This is the post of a man who hasn't played Vampire: Bloodlines yet.

(Quest-centric EXP rules and is in tons of games.)

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Ahh... Bloodlines :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Crigit posted:

How could they possibly balance player progression if you are able to toggle what things give you xp?

X = sum of all trap and lockpick XP
Y = total XP available in game
Z = Y - X

if trap and lockpick XP disabled
    every quest XP reward *= Y/Z

Fuschia tude fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 15, 2015

• Locked thread