Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Why does anyone use desktop shortcuts or the start menu when you may easily press the Windows Key and type for whatever you're looking, hit enter and it'll load?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

skooma512 posted:

Stuff not pissing me off: Barracuda's hold music.

The only vendor with better music is GE Healthcare

At my last job I set the Muzak service to play metal between 12am-4am. I expect it will stay that way in perpetuity. :black101:

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Tab8715 posted:

Why does anyone use desktop shortcuts or the start menu when you may easily press the Windows Key and type for whatever you're looking, hit enter and it'll load?

That's what they're used to from XP, desktops are right there in front of them and things not in front of them don't exist and also oh god what is this new thing that came up when I hit windows it's scary please help Mr. IT Man.

Part of a "Learn what the gently caress about your new Win8 install" course I did for teachers here was about using that search and everyone who attended loved it, as has every Mac user I've shown Spotlight.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

We just got asked to reinstall some old software some teachers used to use and can't seem to let go of on a new lab.

Administration won't pony up the money for a new version. One claims he just got a grant to buy more licenses last year! I guess that's cheaper? This version barely starts on Windows 7 and up. It fucks up your resolution each time.

edit: aha it's even older the documents say to use Java 5 update 6 and absolutely no higher than 6u35

:suicide:

The problem here is not the teachers, but an ineffectual IT director that won't say no to stupid stuff like this. Unless the teachers managed to put it in an IEP, in which case, god help you.

If you have RDS CALs, you can use RemoteApp + a VM that rolls back every day to solve this issue without risking a lab full of computers with old Java (or any Java).

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Erwin posted:

The problem here is not the teachers, but an ineffectual IT director that won't say no to stupid stuff like this.

Agreed, I should tone down my harsh language at the teachers, really. At one point we had the balls to tell people when stuff was unrealistic and dangerous and whatnot, but for the past while he's gotten into a bad habit of appeasing everyone even against my protests and having us try to do every little thing they ask.

And everyone knows it. If I'm asked about this stuff, I tell them these problems, and then they go right to him with the requests anyway, and I don't have the clout to override him or the administrators that ask him to implement this stuff.

Pretty sure this is also why we have poo poo I've posted about before like "hey let's have domain users as local admins :v:"

Dog Fat Man Chaser fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 15, 2015

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Tab8715 posted:

It's probably marginal, but isn't there a slowdown when you start typing HorseCocks.exe and Windows starts searching for programs/applications?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Scaramouche posted:

It's probably marginal, but isn't there a slowdown when you start typing HorseCocks.exe and Windows starts searching for programs/applications?

Sort of, but I think it's commonly used or just recently installed it'll show up right away. I have seen some really weird behavior where it won't pick up things like Internet Explorer, Word for 20-30 secs despite working previously but once that times has elapsed will work perfectly.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tab8715 posted:

Sort of, but I think it's commonly used or just recently installed it'll show up right away. I have seen some really weird behavior where it won't pick up things like Internet Explorer, Word for 20-30 secs despite working previously but once that times has elapsed will work perfectly.

So that's better than taking 5 seconds to launch it from the menu, because? Or is this just a variation on the CLI vs GUI superiority complex?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Our ISP has throttled our internet for using too much data which is a crock of poo poo for us, since there's no fiber networking available and we're a web-based company who are constantly shooting commercials for TV, uploading videos and raw camera footage to dropbox back and forth, ect. There's no alternative in the area at all because we operate in West Virginia.

We're going to be charge a large fine for every 50gb of data we use this month in addition to our "Unlimited" business plan.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Flameingblack posted:

Our ISP has throttled our internet for using too much data which is a crock of poo poo for us, since there's no fiber networking available and we're a web-based company who are constantly shooting commercials for TV, uploading videos and raw camera footage to dropbox back and forth, ect. There's no alternative in the area at all because we operate in West Virginia.

We're going to be charge a large fine for every 50gb of data we use this month in addition to our "Unlimited" business plan.

We have altered the deal, pray we do not alter it further.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

flosofl posted:

Or is this just a variation on the CLI vs GUI superiority complex?

Bingo.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

flosofl posted:

So that's better than taking 5 seconds to launch it from the menu, because? Or is this just a variation on the CLI vs GUI superiority complex?

:shrug: It's not usually a question of time so much as effort, although this is coming from a mac user who's a spotlight fanatic. If I need to go digging because the index is hosed up then fine, but "the index got hosed up once" doesn't precede "therefore I should never use it" to me.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
More in the saga of the new boss.

Apparently this morning there was a forced Windows 8 install and a ragequit. Now we've been informed we have till Friday end of day to submit a current resume "because (mumble) wants to get to know his team members' strengths and weaknesses."

sfwarlock fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 21, 2015

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

This has got to be some sort of gaslighting experiment.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

sfwarlock posted:

Apparently this morning there was a forced Windows 8 install and a ragequit. Now we've been informed we have till Friday end of day to submit a current resume "because Steve wants to get to know his team members' strengths and weaknesses."

I'm not sure I get this; someone had Windows 8 installed on their computer and quit in a rage? The tech doing the install quit in rage?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

He's going to be sooo mad when he finds nobody has linux strengths in his ranks.

Perhaps this will be a "come to dickbutt" moment for him.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

I don't know what to be mad at -- SharePoint, PowerShell, or .NET -- so I'm compromising by being mad at everything. Here's why if anybody might have input.

sfwarlock posted:

Now we've been informed we have till Friday end of day to submit a current resume "because Steve wants to get to know his team members' strengths and weaknesses."

It honestly sounds like this guy was brought in to clean house. Time to :yotj:

vamage
Oct 15, 2014

Spazz posted:

I don't know what to be mad at -- SharePoint, PowerShell, or .NET -- so I'm compromising by being mad at everything. Here's why if anybody might have input.

It honestly sounds like this guy was brought in to clean house. Time to :yotj:

Well now that you've updated your resume, you can more easily find a new one! And even get paid for updating it :)

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

So first pay period on our new "your pay is calculated purely from Connectwise ticket time" I spent about 3-4 hours total jotting down what I did every second of every day to find out the management pushing for this never trained HR on how to use Connectwise at all making the whole thing pointless.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

socialsecurity posted:

the whole thing pointless.

Every managerial initiative ever created.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

socialsecurity posted:

So first pay period on our new "your pay is calculated purely from Connectwise ticket time" I spent about 3-4 hours total jotting down what I did every second of every day to find out the management pushing for this never trained HR on how to use Connectwise at all making the whole thing pointless.

I feel there should be a "Was in office for 8 hours instead of at home playing video games" time allotment. Because really, that's what every job is, keeping me away from my videos games. If you're going to do that, it's going to cost you.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Here to blow my own horn.

socialsecurity posted:

There are decades of studies that show that these things never produce the savings they think they'll get from full production. You are never going to get 100% productivity out of 100% of your employees.

You can either pay 10 people to on average be 75% efficient where some will be 50 and others will be 100+ or you can pay 4 people to watch those 5 but you'll then need to pay someone to watch the watcher... The problem with the second scenario besides lower productivity is it encourages an adversarial relationship between labor and management in which labor will bemoan every single change. If you just round off to the law of large numbers you will have happier people and get more done to boot.

I openly tell my people that I don't care where or what they are doing as long as the work gets done. It makes the midnight weekend maintenance windows all that much easier. No one feels like management is exploiting them if they feel they are respected enough to manage themselves. Treat them like adults until they act like children. Then if they can't be adults send them back to daycare.

KennyG fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 16, 2015

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

sfwarlock posted:

Apparently this morning there was a forced Windows 8 install and a ragequit. Now we've been informed we have till Friday end of day to submit a current resume "because Steve wants to get to know his team members' strengths and weaknesses."

You should probably submit a current resume outside of the company as well.

Tell us more about this ragequit, please.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Mrit posted:

Every managerial initiative ever created.

Your post is true but that Avatar is glorious

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
Today was rather... interesting, to say the least. We've been having some construction going on and apparently when one of the workers was loving with some of the lights up at the front of the hospital (not sure why, they seemed to be working fine) one of the bulbs exploded and caused a small fire. That apparently burned out some electrical circuits which took out power to a good portion of the building. Most of the backup generators kicked on, except for the one that powers the penthouse server room. That houses a LOT of poo poo that, for some reason, we don't have a redundancy downstairs.

Anyway, to make a LONG story short, we found a lot of poo poo that failed and we weren't entirely surprised of. We had brought up a lot of these concerns in the past and they just hand waved it as if we just wanted to spend money unnecessarily. While I would hope that those responsible get poo poo-canned, I know that is just a pipe dream and I'm sure they'll just point the finger at I.S. like they always do.

I've put it off long enough, I think I'm gonna dig up an old copy of my resume and send it to the Resumes to Interviews goon. I'm pretty much done with this place.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

KennyG posted:

There are decades of studies that show that these things never produce the savings they think they'll get from full production. You are never going to get 100% productivity out of 100% of your employees.

You can either pay 10 people to on average be 75% efficient where some will be 50 and others will be 100+ or you can pay 4 people to watch those 5 but you'll then need to pay someone to watch the watcher... The problem with the second scenario besides lower productivity is it encourages an adversarial relationship between labor and management in which labor will bemoan every single change. If you just round off to the law of large numbers you will have happier people and get more done to boot.

I openly tell my people that I don't care where or what they are doing as long as the work gets done. It makes the midnight weekend maintenance windows all that much easier. No one feels like management is exploiting them if they feel they are respected enough to manage themselves. Treat them like adults until they act like children. Then if they can't be adults send them back to daycare.

Exactly, the official reason for doing it is so "we can keep better metrics for each client" But I am no longer allowed to track time for multiple clients at a time as it would earn me double pay and they can't expect people to accurately report hours worked on customer time when their own pay depends on it so much. Also we don't bill hourly so it's all just a huge waste of time.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

guppy posted:

We have a web app that shits the bed on anything newer than IE8.

Talking about old versions of IE, what the hell is going to happen when Microsoft decides to stop updating IE in Windows 7? After all, it's now in extended support, yet I have zero faith in the market share shrinking significantly at all. If anything, it'll still grow as businesses still come off XP, and won't touch 8 with a barge pole.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Spazz posted:

I may be (probably am) misunderstanding, but why are you using -UseDefaultCredentials and then setting $proxy.credentials? Surely you should be using -credential $credentials on the New-WebServiceProxy?

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

DigitalRaven posted:

I may be (probably am) misunderstanding, but why are you using -UseDefaultCredentials and then setting $proxy.credentials? Surely you should be using -credential $credentials on the New-WebServiceProxy?

It doesn't work either way. -UseDefaultCredentials just hits the list service first without authentication and expects a challenge, but it never receives one and instead returns the WSDL, and this works since we have anonymous access enabled. The PowerShell method requires several hits to fail according to Fiddler, but cURL only requires two GETs. The exact same code works when hitting the internal URL on the front end.

I know this is most likely an issue with FedAuth. On other clients who don't use it and instead use AD, the challenge auth is sent back and it works fine, but because we have FedAuth configured it doesn't challenge. Or at least that's my theory for any it's not using the credentials at all.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Volmarias posted:

Tell us more about this ragequit, please.

One of the higher techs came in and found his laptop - which had been running Linux - reinstalled with Windows 8. I hear thirdhand that in the ensuing polite, genteel, and quiet conversation, it was mentioned to him that: it was not 'his' laptop, but the company's; any data lost should have been backed up anyway, because hard drives fail; and if we had any procedures which were cobbled together using "non industry-standard tools", we needed to discard those and use the "industry standard".

Something along the lines of if he sees a car mechanic using a stick and a heavy rock to change a tire, he's going to hand said mechanic a tire iron instead, and if the mechanic doesn't know how to use the standard tool, then he's an incompetent mechanic.

The tech then mentioned that perhaps he wasn't the incompetent person in the room, to which he was invited to depart the premises immediately and permanently.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Dude they're playing for keeps. Hope you have an exit strategy.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

sfwarlock posted:

The tech then mentioned that perhaps he wasn't the incompetent person in the room, to which he was invited to depart the premises immediately and permanently.

:drat:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
Jesus gently caress, dealing with NAT is such a pain in the rear end.

Here's the retarded setup we have going on:

Management server: X.X.X.98 - > X.X.130.27 (PAT)
Device: X.X.10.240 -> X.X.164.240 (static)

With 3 other firewalls inbetween. Want to guess how much fun I'm having trying to get the two to talk to one another?

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

sfwarlock posted:

One of the higher techs came in and found his laptop - which had been running Linux - reinstalled with Windows 8. I hear thirdhand that in the ensuing polite, genteel, and quiet conversation, it was mentioned to him that: it was not 'his' laptop, but the company's; any data lost should have been backed up anyway, because hard drives fail; and if we had any procedures which were cobbled together using "non industry-standard tools", we needed to discard those and use the "industry standard".

Something along the lines of if he sees a car mechanic using a stick and a heavy rock to change a tire, he's going to hand said mechanic a tire iron instead, and if the mechanic doesn't know how to use the standard tool, then he's an incompetent mechanic.

Is your resume up to date? Do you need help with it? :yotj: yesterday. (But please, keep telling us stories while you're job shopping.)

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

meanieface posted:

Is your resume up to date? Do you need help with it? :yotj: yesterday. (But please, keep telling us stories while you're job shopping.)

Is it me or has there been a marked increase in new job postings since the first of the year? I know hiring was up in December. I wonder if this will be decent :yotj: year?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

sfwarlock posted:

This is amazing. :allears:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

sfwarlock posted:

The new manager clearly wants to put his stamp on things and get people on board with his program. It's going to be a get with the new program our get the hell out type of situation. I don't necessarily agree with this kind of management style, but sometimes cleaning out the folks that aren't going to get with the program early can be better in the long run (from a manager point of view).

We've run into it before. The original company I worked for was acquired several years ago and we folded into a larger organization, and we've acquired other companies afterwards. Each time we've had to adapt and change the way we do things. There's always a couple of people that will just not adapt to the reality of the new situation, and sometime it has hurt to let them go, but it's better in the long run.

Looking at your post history in this thread, it's pretty clear this guy is an idiot, but it is what it is and there's not much you can do about it except move on to another job. Unfortunately in these situations severe damage is going to be done before his bosses figure out he's an idiot. The loss of experienced people, and institutional knowledge can really hurt a dept.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

sfwarlock posted:

Please get out while it's still in your control.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

sfwarlock posted:

I want to buy this man a drink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

sfwarlock posted:

Like the first person who actually stands up to him gets promoted to the vacant manager position or something.

Sounds like this question has been answered.