Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Sadly M1 switches starting to go often manifests itself as deterioration by involuntary double clicks, which is intensely annoying and only gets worse as you continue to use the mouse. It's typically grounds for a warranty cash-in, but you're using a razer product so good luck with that!

I've probably had this thing for years now, but I don't mind switching over to another brand if need be. Just need some recommendations since I'm clueless on what models are good and whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010

Skuto posted:

Do you have another mouse that you can use to check if it's the OS or the mouse itself? Sounds like it might have a crappy sensor/tracking.

I've tried it with two different Microsoft mice that both gave the same results. The Mobile one is noticeably better though, it freezes far less often. It's also only about a year old, no idea if that's relevant.

I'll try and borrow a mouse off someone and see if it changes anything.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

How solid does the G502 feel?

I'm still sporting a MX518, it's the perfect size/shape but a lot of the newer mice feel cheap? I can't crush it in my hand but I hate how I can feel it bend.

Can't bend it at all, feels really solid except the scroll wheel, the wheel itself seems strong (it's aluminium) but the mechanism feels it will not last long, mine is already starting to skip notches after a few days

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I have an original Microsoft Sidewinder that's starting to send random mousewheel signals. It's been solid as a rock for the past seven (!) years, but I guess it's about time to send it to the big USB port in the sky.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I have an original Microsoft Sidewinder that's starting to send random mousewheel signals. It's been solid as a rock for the past seven (!) years, but I guess it's about time to send it to the big USB port in the sky.

The mouse wheel on my 6 month-ish old Func mouse is starting to wear out now, where it just kind of slips when I scroll down, unless I really pull hard.

WTB a mouse with an indestructible mouse wheel as the lovely mouse wheel was the reason I bought this mouse to replace my Sidewinder mouse.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

How solid does the G502 feel?

I'm still sporting a MX518, it's the perfect size/shape but a lot of the newer mice feel cheap? I can't crush it in my hand but I hate how I can feel it bend.
Absolutely no complaints about build quality.

Sh4 posted:

Can't bend it at all, feels really solid except the scroll wheel, the wheel itself seems strong (it's aluminium) but the mechanism feels it will not last long, mine is already starting to skip notches after a few days
Are you using it in freescroll mode? If so, "skipping notches" is probably the result of your browser/application/window not being able to keep up. I use mine in normal mode 99% of the time and even when I spin it quickly there are no issues with skipping.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
I tried two G502s, and on both, the scrolling often moves backwards when I finish scrolling, regardless of scroll mode. The mouse is great otherwise, but the scroll wheel is garbage. It's probably unavoidable with mice with freescroll, and I wish they had the same mouse but with no freescroll.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

dpbjinc posted:

I tried two G502s, and on both, the scrolling often moves backwards when I finish scrolling, regardless of scroll mode. The mouse is great otherwise, but the scroll wheel is garbage. It's probably unavoidable with mice with freescroll, and I wish they had the same mouse but with no freescroll.

I had a little bit of that at first, but after a bit of retraining with how I stop the wheel it's no longer an issue. :shrug:

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I never had that problem with the G9x, freescroll is one of the biggest things I miss.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

dpbjinc posted:

The G602 is very similar, with no free scroll.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yeah, so is the G302's mousewheel. It's completely inconsistent about when it actually scrolls, it's awful.

The G502's wheel is just a special brand of terrible though. Very inconsistent, very heavy, makes a ton of noise, and it even shifts around left/right when you move the mouse quickly. Oh and to top it all off, the mouse wheel click is absurdly stiff, to the point where I just don't even bother to use it at all.

I really like the wheel on the Naos 7000, it scrolls perfectly, it doesn't stick out too far, and the click isn't stiff. It's the best wheel I've used that I can remember, but saying that means it will probably break after a year, given my luck.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Is anyone enjoying the G302? I got one because I'm a consumer whore, but I can't figure out how the hell you're supposed to hold it. G100s and G402 seem superior in every ergonomic regard (though I realize this is potentially subjective)

Only thing I can figure is that it might work better if I used like 1800dpi, but I don't think I can :(

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

It's fingertip style only basically. It doesn't conform to any normal hand shape but the thing is very lightweight so it's easy to just move around with your fingertips. You're supposed to go the opposite direction anyway, set it down to 400dpi and fling that thing all over the place.

That being said, I think it's a pretty bad mouse and I didn't like it much. Aside from the shape making no sense, the mousewheel sucks and the cord is terrible, plus no profile support and the side buttons are mushy.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I currently have the G9x http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104261

Just recently the left-click and right-click seem to have wonked out on me. They double click a lot on one press and keep clicking when holding the buttons down as well. I tried cleaning the mouse and using air on the mouse, but nothing has worked. Nothing seems stuck, the buttons feel as normal as they should. I am out of the 3-year warranty time, but I have heard good things about logitech and mice warranties, any chance they would send me a new mouse? Or am I screwed and need to buy a new mouse.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I am out of the 3-year warranty time, but I have heard good things about logitech and mice warranties, any chance they would send me a new mouse? Or am I screwed and need to buy a new mouse.

They stopped making the G9x a while ago. You're hosed.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Skuto posted:

They stopped making the G9x a while ago. You're hosed.

I've heard they send out similar mice, which I wouldn't care if it was a similar mouse. But if they aren't as great about out of warranty stuff as they used to be, then nevermind.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I currently have the G9x http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104261

Just recently the left-click and right-click seem to have wonked out on me. They double click a lot on one press and keep clicking when holding the buttons down as well. I tried cleaning the mouse and using air on the mouse, but nothing has worked. Nothing seems stuck, the buttons feel as normal as they should. I am out of the 3-year warranty time, but I have heard good things about logitech and mice warranties, any chance they would send me a new mouse? Or am I screwed and need to buy a new mouse.

Yeah no way they'll do a warranty swap on that, also since a few months, logitech support is pretty bad at least in europe. they don't want to warranty anything that hasn't been bought on the logitech website directly and tell you they can't do anything and to contact your reseller

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Sh4 posted:

Yeah no way they'll do a warranty swap on that, also since a few months, logitech support is pretty bad at least in europe. they don't want to warranty anything that hasn't been bought on the logitech website directly and tell you they can't do anything and to contact your reseller

Yea holy poo poo I am trying to navigate their website now and it's a pain in the rear end. Dammit Logitech. I am only like 3 months out of warranty of course.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I've heard they send out similar mice, which I wouldn't care if it was a similar mouse.

Depends on what you consider similar, I guess. I don't think anything they make right now is remotely similar enough.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I should snap this up, yeah?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

No, that's last generation and also a laser sensor that is not particularly good about acceleration. A g502 at that price would be a steal though.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yes, buy a G502 if you want to stay with Logitech.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

mango sentinel posted:

I should snap this up, yeah?

kaschei posted:

No, that's last generation and also a laser sensor that is not particularly good about acceleration. A g502 at that price would be a steal though.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104318

Weird.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Yes, buy a G502 if you want to stay with Logitech.

I was just looking at the G502, looks nice. I was hoping my G9x would last forever as did my last logitech mouse, but I guess not!

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Yeah looking at prices online made me wonder what the deal was. I grabbed it just in case, potentially to flip it, but it looks like ebay prices on it are a little less stupid. I guess that's a model people are just attached to like the Intellimouse.

I'm still looking for a replacement for my Razer Deathadder but don't want to spend more than $60. I don't like Logitech side buttons, and I've been continually debating mostly between the SteelSeries Sensei and Rival, Deathadder Chroma (razer build quality...), or a dumb glowy light-up mouse I should not buy.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Did you take a look at the Avior 7000? It's only $54 on Amazon right now.

The Steelseries Rival isn't bad, they frequently have them out on display at Best Buys too if you want to get your hands on them. Way too big for my hands personally but I've got a friend with giant hands who loves his.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Did you take a look at the Avior 7000? It's only $54 on Amazon right now.

The Steelseries Rival isn't bad, they frequently have them out on display at Best Buys too if you want to get your hands on them. Way too big for my hands personally but I've got a friend with giant hands who loves his.
Yeah, touching the Best Buy display is what made me consider it. I like how big/long it is and I like the grippy texture near my thumb. I'm a bit concerned that texture would just get kinda dirty though.

MetalFish
Nov 28, 2005

To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a computer.

Sh4 posted:

I was sent a brand new G502 before christmas in replacement for a 518 that not only did I not have a receipt for, but I purchased off Ebay.
Just had to give them the serial number.
Give it a go....

(UK by the way)

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

mango sentinel posted:

Yeah, touching the Best Buy display is what made me consider it. I like how big/long it is and I like the grippy texture near my thumb. I'm a bit concerned that texture would just get kinda dirty though.

The Rival is excellent and in my usage the textured rubber in the sides didn't get gunky. I also prefer the large flat side buttons of the Rival to the skinny side buttons of the Logitech but I've pretty much adapted to my G402 side buttons. Initially I was constantly mis-clicking since they're so close together.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

MetalFish posted:

I was sent a brand new G502 before christmas in replacement for a 518 that not only did I not have a receipt for, but I purchased off Ebay.
Give it a go....

(UK by the way)

drat, definitely worth a try then. Will do this week. Thanks.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

MetalFish posted:

Give it a go....

(UK by the way)

Was refused any kind of service for a less than a year old G35 headset with sound problem, it was under warranty and had receipt. Same thing for a keyboard with flickering backlight, they just told me to call the reseller (France)

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

mango sentinel posted:

I don't like Logitech side buttons, and I've been continually debating mostly between the SteelSeries Sensei and Rival, Deathadder Chroma (razer build quality...), or a dumb glowy light-up mouse I should not buy.

I'll write a more elaborate post in a few days, but my first impression with a Zowie FK1 is that it's better than a Sensei in everything, but at a significantly cheaper price and with a better sensor.

The grip of a DeathAdder (palm) doesn't really compare to Sensei/Zowie FK1 though (finger/claw).

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Oh huh the Zowie FK1 actually has sensible DPI settings this time, I might take a look at one some time in the distant future whenever I need a new mouse again. Can't tell if they fixed the horrible lens cover or not though.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

mango sentinel posted:

My last mouse was a Mionix (a naos model of some sort) and I liked it a lot. The rubberized plastic did end up getting somewhat tacky near the end of its life, though.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Can't tell if they fixed the horrible lens cover or not though.

If you explain more I can take a pic for you.

Diddie
Sep 1, 2001

What the heck is going on in here???

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Oh huh the Zowie FK1 actually has sensible DPI settings this time, I might take a look at one some time in the distant future whenever I need a new mouse again. Can't tell if they fixed the horrible lens cover or not though.

It uses the standard 3310 lens cover as far as I can tell

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

That's not being sold by Newegg. It's being sold by a 3rd party on Newegg's website, same as Amazon's marketplace seller or eBay for that matter.

That mouse never sold for $150. These kinds of sellers charge a ridiculous price in case some moron accidentally buys it.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Josh Lyman posted:

That's not being sold by Newegg. It's being sold by a 3rd party on Newegg's website, same as Amazon's marketplace seller or eBay for that matter.

That mouse never sold for $150. These kinds of sellers charge a ridiculous price in case some moron accidentally buys it.

That's why I always tick "[site] only" on every site that has a marketplace type option. I've never seen anything from a 3rd party vendor that was worth a poo poo to me.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Just tested out the following

Logitech G402 - Looks interesting but feels so light but in a cheap way? There's a click but to much give on the buttons before you actually click. I don't like the glossiness either, looks gaudy.

Steelseries Sensi - Feels solid and very click with good feedback - tactile and audible. It's meant to be ambidextrous so no curvature of the mouse, which I think is a big drawback. Great cord.

Logitech M500 - Standard mouse but an improvement on the shape of the MX518. The buttons are a little squisher than I'd like but alright all around.

Overall, I'd want a combination of the Sensi and M500. I'm thinking I am going to keep the M500 just because I can't stand the ambidextrous design of the Sensi.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Skuto posted:

If you explain more I can take a pic for you.

Lens cover is maybe the wrong word, there's a transparent piece of plastic that encloses the lens on the regular FK. It ends very close to the surface of the bottom of the mouse, and for some reason it's extremely prone to attracting dust. I had to clean it like once a week when I was using it. If you just take a close up pic of the lens hole it will probably be pretty obvious if it's the same or changed. I could probably take a picture of the regular FK if you still aren't clear on what I'm talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

If you just take a close up pic of the lens hole it will probably be pretty obvious if it's the same or changed.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32496746/FK1/zowie.jpg