Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Colonial Air Force posted:

I did notice, however, that the Surprise in the film seems to have a poopdeck, and that will now forever annoy me.

Are you sure? The Rose, which was used as Surprise definitely doesn't have one:

The quarterdeck is too short for the real Surprise, since it would actually extend to half the ship and include the capstan, but otherwise it seems fine.

Decius fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jan 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Ah, that's what it is. It's that shortness I think that throws it off.

But it did seem like Jack was rather high up when he called out that sailor for not saluting.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Camera angles are a hell of a thing.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Arglebargle III posted:

Camera angles are a hell of a thing.

Yeah:

Frodo and Gandalf travel together in a cart, and Frodo appears dwarfed by Gandalf.

In reality, the bench is split, and Frodo is sitting a few feet behind Gandalf – Gandalf’s body hides the split in the bench.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I just watched that scene (because of course I have this with me) and it's the editing that makes Jack seem tall. The wide shot has Nagel walking forward with Jack in the background talking with Tom at the binnacle. Russel Crowe is clearly elevated only like ~14 inches above Nagel as in the picture of Rose because he is standing on that very same quarterdeck.

After Nagel shoulder-checks Hollum (with Jack in the background noticing) the scene cuts to a low angle medium-close shot of Jack yelling. You can't see Nagel or either deck level. Nothing changed except the camera's position and angle, but the editing and angle combine to make Jack (Russell Crowe) look a lot taller all of a sudden. And not by accident either; Jack suddenly asserting his authority and the camera suddenly making him look a lot taller than the crew is probably not a coincidence. Directing!

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?
Also appropriate because there are probably a half dozen times (at least) in the books when Stephen comments on how Jack seems to grow bigger when he's pissed.

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009
I've just finished The Mauritius Command and started on Desolation Island - Does anyone else find reading through this series is like watching a really gripping TV series where you're always thinking "just one more episode" and then suddenly it's like 5AM? I got loads of books for Christmas and in the Kindle 12 days sale that I fear may go untouched for quite a while longer because each time I finish one of these books I can't stop myself jumping right into the next one.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

For Hornblower, although I know I'll be a little disappointed reading them after I've already finished Aubrey-Maturin, should I read them in chronological order, or published order?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

For Hornblower, although I know I'll be a little disappointed reading them after I've already finished Aubrey-Maturin, should I read them in chronological order, or published order?

It's always the best to read in the published order.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Always read a series in published order.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

The answer to that, for any series, is always "published." Prequels depend on knowledge of the "later" events to give them context.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Maybe, but I found reading Sharpe actually was better in chronological, even if there were some oddities in the short stories.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Maybe, but I found reading Sharpe actually was better in chronological, even if there were some oddities in the short stories.

Yeah, Sharpe is fairly unusual in that Cornwell seems to have plotted Sharpe's career out in fairly granular detail out before writing the first book -- it seems to have been plotted from the start as a 20 book or so series, he just jumped around a bit to write the most sellable books first.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Published order it is, then.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Owlkill posted:

I've just finished The Mauritius Command and started on Desolation Island - Does anyone else find reading through this series is like watching a really gripping TV series where you're always thinking "just one more episode" and then suddenly it's like 5AM? I got loads of books for Christmas and in the Kindle 12 days sale that I fear may go untouched for quite a while longer because each time I finish one of these books I can't stop myself jumping right into the next one.

Well, I just wanted to reread HMS Surprise (since it is for me the quintessential book of the series) mid-2014 and ended up reading the whole series again for the fourth or fifth time. So yes, for me is exactly the case - once I've started I can't really end, because reading any other books in the meantime just leaves me with an empty feeling, regardless how good they are.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Well I just finished the series. Quite bittersweet for me. Though the characters get their happy ending more or less. Too bad Stephen never got back home to that pretty young naturalizing widow.

I'm already thinking about reading it again.

Favorite books:

Master and Commander
The Mauritius Campaign
The Fortunes of War
Desolation Island
The Nutmeg of Consolation

I feel like I should read some Jane Austen before I tackle Pride and Prejudice and Boats again.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 16, 2015

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Arglebargle III posted:

Well I just finished the series. Quite bittersweet for me. Though the characters get their happy ending more or less. Too bad Stephen never got back home to that pretty young naturalizing widow.

Favorite books:

Master and Commander
The Mauritius Campaign
The Fortunes of War
Desolation Island

I feel like I should read some Jane Austen before I tackle Pride and Prejudice and Boats again.

Did you read the couple of unfinished chapters of the next book too?

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Arglebargle III posted:

Favorite books:

Master and Commander
The Mauritius Campaign
The Fortunes of War
Desolation Island

The Fortune of War and The Surgeon's Mate are probably my favorite of the series that aren't Master and Commander itself. I keep forgetting how funny Sense and Sensibility and Sailors can be when it's not being heart-rendingly sad or aggravating.

Speaking of funny, I caught this throwaway line in Surgeon's mate today that I don't recall ever catching before. When Stephen's at the Institute, after speaking about the Solitarire, he sees his German romance language expert friend and, "Stephen tore himself away from a rather sterile conversation about chlorine". Genius.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Arglebargle III posted:

I've been pondering trying some Austen. I'm worried it's just 29th century romance novels though. Are they about things other than "a woman needs a husband" or "a man needs a wife"?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

I've been pondering trying some Austen. I'm worried it's just 29th century romance novels though. Are they about things other than "a woman needs a husband" or "a man needs a wife"?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3662001

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Good timing, then.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Do you think you'll finish that read through? I enjoyed what you'd written.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

None of those threads ever go much beyond a page or so.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

builds character posted:

Do you think you'll finish that read through? I enjoyed what you'd written.

It's on my to-do list. Unfortunately it's a *lot* of work to do each chapter. I really do want to finish it up at some point though.

Still, even as it is, it gives people enough background to get their teeth into the book as a whole.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Just came upon one of my favourite funny scenes in the whole series:

"The Thirteen-gun Salute", setting is after a dinner at the Sultan's palace

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Arglebargle III posted:

Read Emma. It's one of my faves. Rich sheltered women being passive aggressive to each other and freaking out about gypsies.

It took me far too long to realize Clueless was a remake of Emma.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Read Emma. It's one of my faves. Rich sheltered women being passive aggressive to each other and freaking out about gypsies.

It took me far too long to realize Clueless was a remake of Emma.

My favorite Austen is actually Northanger Abbey, just because it's so hilarious if you've read a lot of other gothic fiction. I think the two biggest barriers to reading Austen are

1) people need a lot of exposure to the setting and time period to understand the context of everything, and
2) you have to be a sharp reader with a really good eye for multiple layers of meaning to fully appreciate her prose; her jokes are incredibly dry and you'll miss two-thirds of it if you aren't looking carefully.

But any reader of Patrick O'Brian has both those things.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

My favorite Austen is actually Northanger Abbey, just because it's so hilarious if you've read a lot of other gothic fiction. I think the two biggest barriers to reading Austen are

1) people need a lot of exposure to the setting and time period to understand the context of everything, and
2) you have to be a sharp reader with a really good eye for multiple layers of meaning to fully appreciate her prose; her jokes are incredibly dry and you'll miss two-thirds of it if you aren't looking carefully.

I've said it before but I *only* came to enjoy and appreciate Jane Austen because Patrick O'Brian made me a better reader. Same thing with Dickens, who I had no idea was so hilarious (thanks for nothing high school english).

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Part of the joy of reading that passage quoted above is that by the time Jack has opened his mouth in the second paragraph you know they are going to be talking about two different things. I'm actually amazed that O'Brian resorted to explaining the joke and didn't just have them both wander off confused.

Maturin wondering if Jack has been a pederast this whole time and Jack wondering if Maturin has come to appreciate the, 'Music of the Spheres'.

Speaking of which, what animal's haunch was Jack eating at the Sultan's feast? He thinks it's venison but it's no bigger than a hares. Maybe a mouse deer?

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Murgos posted:

Part of the joy of reading that passage quoted above is that by the time Jack has opened his mouth in the second paragraph you know they are going to be talking about two different things. I'm actually amazed that O'Brian resorted to explaining the joke and didn't just have them both wander off confused.

They know each other too well (although Jack seems perpetually hopeful that Stephen will pick up calculus/trig, astronomy, or sailing) for that. Stephen for sure knows Jack's all about the ladies, given how many times Jack cheats on Sophie, not just times we know about but times that are implied.

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug
I'm reading the series for the first time thanks in part to this thread. I just finished Desolation Island and holy crap, that section in the storm with the Waakzaamheid. That is some incredible writing right there. I'm completely hooked and the stories have rekindled my interest in building model boats. I am trying to finish the one I started years ago so I can justify getting a model of something from the books. They do make a model of the Surprise...

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
'My god, oh my god' 'six hundred men'.

Gives me chills every time, loving terrific.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Genghis Cohen posted:

'My god, oh my god' 'six hundred men'.

Gives me chills every time, loving terrific.

Listen to Patrick Tull read it. One of his best performances in my opinion.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Did the Admiralty ever pay out for that ship? I remember Aubrey arguing with some official, (a civilian and a scrub to boot) who said as it couldn't be verified no prize money was due.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

BeigeJacket posted:

Did the Admiralty ever pay out for that ship? I remember Aubrey arguing with some official, (a civilian and a scrub to boot) who said as it couldn't be verified no prize money was due.

Not as far as I remember. Later on, many years later it's even used to discredit him and cheat him out of a "sure" baronetcy by the hidden enemies of Maturin and himself in Whitehall and in Royal circles (to avoid spoiling stuff) around/before The Yellow Admiral.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

BeigeJacket posted:

That guy didn't even understand what the 40s were. I hated him so much. Almost as much as the Leopard. gently caress that ship. The Americans didn't even have their cannons on deck! I remember Jack thinks to himself something along the lines of "what a disaster for the service" when they mention the Leopard-Chesapeake Affair but seriously, go read up on it. The British captain had zero reason to fire a broadside into Chesapeake and he fired three. He killed three people in order to get four deserters, three of whom later turned out to be American citizens. The British government had to give up the three men and pay reparations, all but admitting that Captain Humphreys had been in the wrong. Humphreys never commanded a ship again. It was a disaster for the Royal Navy's reputation.

Captain Barron of the Chesapeake was also court-martialled and convicted for putting to sea in such an unprepared state. A clusterfuck all around.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

ItalicSquirrels posted:

Listen to Patrick Tull read it. One of his best performances in my opinion.

Agreed. It's right up there with his reading of the introduction of Sam Panda. I always tear up at the part where they both look in the shaving mirror together looking for themselves in the other. That, and Bless you, Sam

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Rewatching Master and Commander and I couldn't help but chuckle as Killick's only desire was to protect the Captain's silver plate. Nice bit of fan service.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I'll be honest, I flew through the first book in the series (being the most well known)

I'm about 1/4 of the way through the 2nd, and the pacing has made me not want to pick it back up in over a month.

I think it being all about the social niceties of the period is totally killing my men fighting on floating fortresses vibe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Sappo569 posted:

I'll be honest, I flew through the first book in the series (being the most well known)

I'm about 1/4 of the way through the 2nd, and the pacing has made me not want to pick it back up in over a month.

I think it being all about the social niceties of the period is totally killing my men fighting on floating fortresses vibe
Bear with it. Those long dry stretches at land put me off at first too. Think of the books as aubreys/maturins life story, not only as "men fighting on floating fortresses".

The land parts will get very much better once you have gotten to know and love the characters that are prominent there.