Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Well, the wife is giving me money to buy a dash cam for Christmas. I just ordered a Möbius with a bunch of goodies to mount and hardware it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I missed recording/being involved in a wreck by about 15 seconds the other night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvkUUOVaxg4

The oncoming car doesnt flash its lights or anything so the accident must have happened at some point after it drove by. When I showed up the grey RX8 on the rights driver had just gotten out the vehicle and was in the process of calling 911. Video cuts off there since its just people milling around calling the police and generally having a lovely night. According to the news, 7 people were injured, two of which had to be helicoptered to the hospital.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Finally hooked up the dashcam and caught these two morons, globally. G1W footage:

Thought maybe this guy was just going to split lanes and go straight, but it looks like he decided to make his own turning lane.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxmAve-zb-g

Was definitely going a bit fast for the conditions but he recovered it so no crash footage to be had.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiDRUJAZMpI

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Someone backed into my car in a parking lot on NYE. I have no idea how as the literal only way they should have been travelling after I parked behind them was forward - the spaces are 20-something rows side by side with spaces end to end - so the only way that car can leave their spaces was by driving out forward, not reverse. No note, of course.

Anyway I have the footage of me pulling up into the space behind them. then i went into the shops and my camera turned off. I came out and their car was gone, the space (and numerous other spaces around us) were empty - so there is little to no chance it was someone else parking there in the interim as there was plenty of spaces available closer to the entrance to the building.

This is probably the third or fourth time this has happened (low car + low front + world of lovely, gigantic SUVs and general terrible drivers) and I paid good money to have my front bumper professionally resprayed after the worst one, so Im pissed off.

Im guessing the best course of action is to file a police report and then call my insurance company with the registration of the other car?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Laserface posted:

Im guessing the best course of action is to file a police report and then call my insurance company with the registration of the other car?

Worth a shot :shrug:

What happens if you're wrong?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

PaganGoatPants posted:

Worth a shot :shrug:

What happens if you're wrong?

The police could request the CCTV footage from the carpark to sort it out pretty quickly.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Laserface posted:

The police could request the CCTV footage from the carpark to sort it out pretty quickly.

Odds of police taking an interest in a non fatal accident on private property?

:allears:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Dashcam footage is still novel enough to make the nightly news in my city.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Anyone checked out the Garmin line of dash cams?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Three and a half minutes of video that will be vaguely more interesting than the guy who posted nothing but him installing and removing his sunshade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgw9wXnf-r8

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So I'm sitting in the right hand lane (with a right turn only lane to my right), with a car to my left. Light turns green, I go through the intersection, car next to me lays on their horn and nearly sideswipes me in the middle of the intersection.

They called my boss and claimed I tried to sideswipe them, and that I went straight from a right turn only lane. He asked what happened, I told him "I'll do even better, I'll show you what happened, I have a dashcam in my car".

The video shows a car making a right turn to my right.

Got me out of an rear end chewing... and got him interested in buying one. The battery on mine is pretty much shot, but there's a mini USB charger in the store for some reason. I'm going to make sure I keep a copy of the original video in case they complain to corporate (which would mean the owner gets a call).

Too tired to go get the camera out of the car, but I'll try and post the video tomorrow. Bonus points: 2 intersections before, another car next to me ran a red light and nearly hit 2 cars. Dude was hauling some serious rear end too, probably 70 in a 40 if I had to guess.

Samsquamsch
Jun 6, 2011

Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdooooown!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09gkqwJXhkg

That almost ruined my night. Probably a good reminder not to talk on the phone while driving, particularly at night.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

some texas redneck posted:

Too tired to go get the camera out of the car, but I'll try and post the video tomorrow.
Looking forward to it

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Got one!

http://youtu.be/SESxL68_0Lg

Smokey Blue
Jun 18, 2005

Domo arigato Mr. Anubis
I picked up a G1W when this thread first started and now I finally have something worth posting. Caught this on my way to work this morning. A school bus turns left on red through two different intersections. First is at around 10 seconds, the other around 2:15. And yeah I reported it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpREeZNz-u8

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Smokey Blue posted:

I picked up a G1W when this thread first started and now I finally have something worth posting. Caught this on my way to work this morning. A school bus turns left on red through two different intersections. First is at around 10 seconds, the other around 2:15. And yeah I reported it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpREeZNz-u8

Why you gotta snitch otto out?

Smokey Blue
Jun 18, 2005

Domo arigato Mr. Anubis

nm posted:

Why you gotta snitch otto out?

If there were flames or rock music, I would have given it a pass.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N8mf9o4boM

Saw a guy lose it during the weekends rain. Starts about 2:15 in - you can see a the spray from the opposite side of the highway from all the standing water. I'm not sure what happened to this guy, going to wager there was a bit of standing water and poor tires involved.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Y'all need to trim your videos. Go grab this:

http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/

It's dead simple to use and doesn't compress or re-encode your video (unless you specifically configure it to convert to a different format), so it's quick and doesn't hurt the quality.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

As I was turning left onto my street today, I had just put on my blinker and this happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1bwO5IVR7M

:catstare:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

KozmoNaut posted:

As I was turning left onto my street today, I had just put on my blinker and this happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1bwO5IVR7M

:catstare:

Too bad he wasn't riding a motorcycle when he undercut like that, one less rear end in a top hat on the road.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
Been looking into dashcams lately... the problem is, I live somewhere with an extreme climate. Winter can see lows in the -20° to -30°f range, and highs around 105°f to 110°f. What should I be looking for that will withstand this kind of use? Or should I just get a G1W and replace it whenever it finally bites it?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The G1W-C is supposed to be fine for high temps, but below 60 it starts getting unreliable at booting up. Annoying as hell.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

DELETED posted:

Been looking into dashcams lately... the problem is, I live somewhere with an extreme climate. Winter can see lows in the -20° to -30°f range, and highs around 105°f to 110°f. What should I be looking for that will withstand this kind of use? Or should I just get a G1W and replace it whenever it finally bites it?

Get one that quickly unclips and take it out of the car when you stop driving.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

spog posted:

Get one that quickly unclips and take it out of the car when you stop driving.

This. Or find some way to insulate it such that temperature changes will be very slow.

Tl;dr for the nerds:

I know a fair amount about electronics packaging and manufacturing quality (specifically solder height/wicking and differences in coefficients of expansion) make a huge difference in fatigue life as does rate and magnitude of temperature change. A chinese camera undergoing a large temp change...guess what. Solder is very very low strength in terms of shear stress. Its just the case that it also tends to stress relieve itself quickly with time so given a slow temperature change its just fine.

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation
I've had no problem with the G1HW in temperatures between -40 and +35. Really reliable.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
Thanks, folks. I decided to go with a G1W and plan to take it out of the car whenever the weather bends to one extreme or the other. Should be here Tuesday, and since it's frighteningly easy to get a driver's license here, it shouldn't take me long to get some some good content!

People who have hit me with their vehicle include:

-Drunk paraplegic who confused his hand controls and rear ended me... twice
-Angry drunk guy who chased me down and rammed me
-Guy huffing aerosol duster
-Crazed teacher that pulled out of an alley, sideswiped 16-year-old me, and then proceeded to tell me that I was going to lose my license and my insurance rates were going to skyrocket

Plus countless other close calls and general fuckery!

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
The mount for the mobius is great for being able to remove it quickly. You don't even lose aim when you remount it.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

That's one of the biggest pet peeves I have with the g1w, the mount is such a pain in the rear end to mount and unmount the cam. Maybe the aftermarket ones are better, but the one that comes with the camera is terrible for easy removal.

aschaef
Oct 21, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

The G1W-C is supposed to be fine for high temps, but below 60 it starts getting unreliable at booting up. Annoying as hell.

I bought a G1W-C since it can get upwards of 140F when the car sits in the sun in the summer. I have been happy with the video quality, but have had issues with the camera retaining the date and time settings. I have to reset it all of the time which gets very annoying.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

I finally installed the final piece for my Mobius dash cam install - a short mini USB cable extension with a 90 degree fitting that goes the right way. I figured I'd show the final product to you guys.

I ended up using the Mobius adhesive mount instead of the suction mount that came with the dash cam kit - the adhesive mount is smaller and less noticeable. I also took advantage of the toll tag that's stuck to my windshield and stuck the adhesive mount to that. This way, it's even harder to see than it would be otherwise. I also glued the threaded fitting on the camera mount toward the back of the mount to get the camera closer to the windshield to get it to fit behind my rearview mirror.

Sorry for the poo poo pictures - I didn't want to back it out of the garage so the lighting's pretty bad.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

I have mine in the same spot except I'm lazy and the power cord just hangs down. I should really conceal it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

aschaef posted:

I bought a G1W-C since it can get upwards of 140F when the car sits in the sun in the summer. I have been happy with the video quality, but have had issues with the camera retaining the date and time settings. I have to reset it all of the time which gets very annoying.

This seems to be normal for them, unfortunately. I just disabled the time stamp.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I just party like it is 2000 all the time.

aschaef
Oct 21, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

This seems to be normal for them, unfortunately. I just disabled the time stamp.

That's too bad. I had read something that said if there wasn't a valid timestamp on the video it couldn't be used as evidence if someone hits you. My wife just got hit by some dickwad turning left from the center lane and we didn't have a camera in that car. I'm looking at one of the Mini 0806's to put in her car.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

aschaef posted:

That's too bad. I had read something that said if there wasn't a valid timestamp on the video it couldn't be used as evidence if someone hits you. My wife just got hit by some dickwad turning left from the center lane and we didn't have a camera in that car. I'm looking at one of the Mini 0806's to put in her car.

Mobius with supercapacitor will do well here as long as you start the car for like 2 minutes at least once every ~9-10 days, according to literature.

Alternatively, my mini 0803 has done excellent with keeping its timestamp in the cold temperatures. In fact, I pulled some video off of both cams near the end of last year and it kept the timestamp just fine.

Wickerman fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jan 20, 2015

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

aschaef posted:

That's people being internet lawyers. Worst case you'd just have to make a statement to the effect of "the clock keeps resetting itself, this is the video of the incident" under oath. If the video shows the make, model, and color of the vehicle that is in the accident report at the location of the accident report and shows an impact of some sort then you are golden. It isn't like you get into wrecks at that specific place every day.

Should it go to trial the opposing side will absolutely try to have it thrown out as evidence but they would do the same no matter what the source of the video is and no matter what the timestamp reads.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

aschaef posted:

Nope
Your attorney: "is that an accurate representation of what happed on day x?"
You: Yep
Attorney: Move to admit
Opposing counsel: Object because of time stamp
Judge: :catstare: Overruled

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

nm posted:

Nope
Your attorney: "is that an accurate representation of what happed on day x?"
You: Yep
Attorney: Move to admit
Opposing counsel: Object because of time stamp
Judge: :catstare: Overruled

I'm thinking something more along the lines of whether or not the video is admissible, like was it recorded on private property or public property (of private property) and is there permission from the property owner, et al.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Wickerman posted:

I'm thinking something more along the lines of whether or not the video is admissible, like was it recorded on private property or public property (of private property) and is there permission from the property owner, et al.

Roads are generally public right-of-ways and you can take pictures of them. Otherwise, Google street view wouldn't be a thing.