Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jetfire posted:

How did the lumberjack match get its name? There isn't anything particularly lumber-y about it.

Isn't it supposed to be that when lumberjacks out in the woods had a fight, all the other guys would crowd around to make a 'ring' so neither man could run away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

Isn't it supposed to be that when lumberjacks out in the woods had a fight, all the other guys would crowd around to make a 'ring' so neither man could run away?

Ah, that would make sense. Appropriately folksy, too.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Lumberjacks are supposed to wear flannel shirts in the matches too.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

So whats the deal with Justin Gabriel being in lower card hell, both in WWE and NXT? It can't just be because hes "got an accent".

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

He got a win over Cena that one time, so WWE parity booking says he must lose for the next five years to balance the scales.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

DeathChicken posted:

He got a win over Cena that one time, so WWE parity booking says he must lose for the next five years to balance the scales.

I think his season of NXT was 2010, can't be long now until his monster-push starts!

:(

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

DeathChicken posted:

So that's what happened to David Flair.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Roman Reigns posted:

So whats the deal with Justin Gabriel being in lower card hell, both in WWE and NXT? It can't just be because hes "got an accent".

There's a bunch of guys like that now. WWE hosed him up really quickly so he's now damaged goods, but he's such a good worker they want to keep him around to work with the developmental guys and make the midcarders look good.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I've seen people compare Seth Rollins to Edge and I've made that same comparison myself, but since I wasn't watching in the 00s I sadly missed most of Edge's singles run when he wasn't teaming with Christian.

I've seen both his matches with Undertaker at Mania and Summerslam, and his TLC match with Cena at Unforgiven 06, but what are the other best Edge matches to watch?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Benne posted:

I've seen people compare Seth Rollins to Edge and I've made that same comparison myself, but since I wasn't watching in the 00s I sadly missed most of Edge's singles run when he wasn't teaming with Christian.

I've seen both his matches with Undertaker at Mania and Summerslam, and his TLC match with Cena at Unforgiven 06, but what are the other best Edge matches to watch?

Edge and Mysterio vs. Benoit and Angle from No Mercy 02 (best match ever)
Kurt Angle/Edge/Benoit/Guerrero from Smackdown 12/5/02
Edge/Cena from Backlash 09
Orton/Cena/Michael/Edge from Backlash 07

here's the smackdown match the rest are on the network

oatgan fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 16, 2015

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Edge/Jeff Hardy ladder match at Extreme Rules 2009 was a lot of fun too.

Especially if you stick around for the bonus match at the end.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!
edge's best moment is probably when he cashed in the first Money in the Bank because it had never really been done before and it was a total surprise to have a dude cash in when his opponent's hurt and Cena had been booked as maybe even more dominant as he is today. so, yeah, watch the end of New Years Revolution '06 if you wanna see a crowd lose their goddamn poo poo

edit: John Cena did not lose a non-MITB title match from April 2005 until February 2009

Nerokerubina fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jan 16, 2015

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Nerokerubina posted:

edge's best moment is probably when he cashed in the first Money in the Bank because it had never really been done before and it was a total surprise to have a dude cash in when his opponent's hurt and Cena had been booked as maybe even more dominant as he is today. so, yeah, watch the end of New Years Revolution '06 if you wanna see a crowd lose their goddamn poo poo

edit: John Cena did not lose a non-MITB title match from April 2005 until February 2009

wrestlemania 24

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

As a followup question, the Ruthless Aggression Era seems to be underrated, partly by fans like me who stopped watching at the time. Yet when I visit a PPV from the era, more often than not I find great matches all over the cards (for the sake of discourse, I'm counting the period between the brand split and Benoit/the PG era).

Am I just overstating things by seeing only the best stuff, or was this truly an overlooked period by a lot of smark fans?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Benne posted:

As a followup question, the Ruthless Aggression Era seems to be underrated, partly by fans like me who stopped watching at the time. Yet when I visit a PPV from the era, more often than not I find great matches all over the cards (for the sake of discourse, I'm counting the period between the brand split and Benoit/the PG era).

Am I just overstating things by seeing only the best stuff, or was this truly an overlooked period by a lot of smark fans?

45 minute hhh promos

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Smoking Crow posted:

45 minute hhh promos

How's that different from today? :v:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

50% less sarcasm and wink wink internet things.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

If you're like me, a huge fan of burials, Ruthless Aggression will be a great era for you. My one wish is that we get a Triple H vs. Hulk Hogan buried alive match

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

minoru suzuki posted:

wrestlemania 24

woops i only looked up ones where he was defending im bad

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Basically what I'm getting from this is that Triple H ruined everything when he politicked his way to the top Hogan-style. Does that diminish the good-to-great matches I've seen from him in that period, or am I just fortunate to miss all his burial promos on Raw in that time?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Benne posted:

i honestly think it's similar to today, if you watch just the PPVs from this year you might have gotten the impression that 2014 was a banner year for WWE too.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Benne posted:

Basically what I'm getting from this is that Triple H ruined everything when he politicked his way to the top Hogan-style. Does that diminish the good-to-great matches I've seen from him in that period, or am I just fortunate to miss all his burial promos on Raw in that time?

Let's be frank, nothing can take away enjoyment you got from a match. Does Bryans win over Cena and his path to Wrestlemania become diminished when you realize that if Cena hadn't been injured he would have lost

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Onmi posted:

Let's be frank, nothing can take away enjoyment you got from a match. Does Bryans win over Cena and his path to Wrestlemania become diminished when you realize that if Cena hadn't been injured he would have lost

Some of the best things that happened in WWE didn't happen because they were originally planned but because something happened to gently caress up their stupid first idea.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Benne posted:

It's not even the politics that kills it, it's his constant attempts to try and be a master of the mic and failing. He's a fantastic wrestler but no matter how much he wants to, he's never going to be Ric Flair on the mic. Didn't stop him from trying for ages, though.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Onmi posted:

No, it doesn't. I still cherish Ziggler's big Survivor Series moment even if they did fuckall with it. That was his career highlight and no amount of bad booking can take it away.

So I'll still enjoy those 2000s HHH matches even if the Raw booking was poo poo, because they were good matches.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Benne posted:

There was some good stuff at times. I thought Smackdown was really fun around 2006-2007. You had Benoit, London, Kendrick, Finlay, Regal, Rey, Chavo, Helms. Pre-fat Matt Hardy, Kennedy and MVP back when it looked like they were going to be big deals. Hornswoggle when he was little more than a foreign object for Finlay. Punk and Morrison and folks like that when they did the SD/ECW talent exchange. Undertaker's weed limo. Lots of fun matches with talented people.

Of course it helped that Raw mostly felt like a vehicle for horrible comedy sketches at the time.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The whole "Smackdown Six" thing came up around 2002 when they had Edge, Rey, Eddie, Benoit, Angle, and Chavo just putting on great matches every week.

'02-'06 was also the era of Velocity, when they tried to give a poo poo about Cruiserweights for about half a second.

Velocity owned.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jan 16, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Sebastian Vettel posted:

Some of the best things that happened in WWE didn't happen because they were originally planned but because something happened to gently caress up their stupid first idea.

And last wrestleyear in particular had so many things happen specifically because of a set of circumstances that continuously hosed up bad ideas.

Benne posted:

No, it doesn't. I still cherish Ziggler's big Survivor Series moment even if they did fuckall with it. That was his career highlight and no amount of bad booking can take it away.

So I'll still enjoy those 2000s HHH matches even if the Raw booking was poo poo, because they were good matches.

And that's the best way to look at it, also in 2000/2001 there was really good booking.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
So who is considered the Ace of each major company? I know John Cena for WWE and Tanahashi for NJPW, but I don't know much about lucha. CMLL? AAA? ROH? PWG?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NickRoweFillea posted:

So who is considered the Ace of each major company? I know John Cena for WWE and Tanahashi for NJPW, but I don't know much about lucha. CMLL? AAA? ROH? PWG?

CMLL's fanbase is very fractured so it's an interesting question there but it pretty much has to be Rush. AAA wants it to be Alberto El Patron and will base their company around him but they've also tried to go into hibernation until a relaunch so it's a weird time for them. In recent years they've been very much about whichever act they can do short term business with, LA Park, Wagner Jr. Perro Aguayo Jr, then briefly the former Mistico/Sin Cara and now Alberto. Adam Cole is the closest thing ROH has to an ace but it's not like the early days when it was clearly Samoa Joe, then Bryan Danielson.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I would say Kevin Steen was the closest thing to an 'ace' in PWG for a long time, he's the only 3-time champ in their history and 3-time tag champ as well. Kyle O'Reilly might have been on his way to being the next one, and then the whole dispute with ROH happened.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Onmi posted:

And last wrestleyear in particular had so many things happen specifically because of a set of circumstances that continuously hosed up bad ideas.

I honestly think the most important was Bryan's injury leading to Brock squashing Cena at Summerslam instead of potentially Bryan. Bryan's 2013-2014 leading to just being annihilated by Brock would have been worse than the actual ending it did get. At least it's looking like he'll be the one to end Brock instead of Reigns now.

And with regards to aces, it's kinda sad but Angle is probably TNA's equivalent.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

Sebastian Vettel posted:

I honestly think the most important was Bryan's injury leading to Brock squashing Cena at Summerslam instead of potentially Bryan. Bryan's 2013-2014 leading to just being annihilated by Brock would have been worse than the actual ending it did get. At least it's looking like he'll be the one to end Brock instead of Reigns now.

imagining the last 9 month's worth of booking with Bryan in Cena's place and it actually would have been pretty loving cool I think??

like "loses to Giant Monster Man, is about to take his revenge but gets punked out by Awful Greasy Man, mast recruit a team of ragtag misfits to take on the authority, Sting Is There" that sounds pretty compelling if it weren't John Cena in the protagonist role tbh

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Nerokerubina posted:

imagining the last 9 month's worth of booking with Bryan in Cena's place and it actually would have been pretty loving cool I think??

like "loses to Giant Monster Man, is about to take his revenge but gets punked out by Awful Greasy Man, mast recruit a team of ragtag misfits to take on the authority, Sting Is There" that sounds pretty compelling if it weren't John Cena in the protagonist role tbh

You're assuming Daniel Bryan would have been in any spot other than "loses to Giant Monster Man." I'm guessing that Cena was ALWAYS going to be in all those other slots in the story.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
How was Macho Man as a draw when he was WWF champ?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I'm not nearly as up on DG as I am NJPW,, but CIMA was their ace for years and now it seems like that may be BxB Hulk.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Nerokerubina posted:

Cena probably would have got the Night of Champions match (and I guess the booking of that match would make slightly more sense). Bryan would probably have been in the Ziggler role.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
What are the best matches with the worst booking? Can anything come close to Lesnar/Cena II?

Kawada's first Triple Crown defense being an incredible 60 minute draw against Kobashi at a time when he badly needed a win to cement his credibility comes to mind, but probably stands out more by virtue of happening in a generally very well booked promotion.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Spermgod posted:

What are the best matches with the worst booking? Can anything come close to Lesnar/Cena II?

Kawada's first Triple Crown defense being an incredible 60 minute draw against Kobashi at a time when he badly needed a win to cement his credibility comes to mind, but probably stands out more by virtue of happening in a generally very well booked promotion.

the first one that came to mind was Michaels vs. Mankind from Mind Games. 25 great minutes of what would be the best match of the year with even an okay finish to build up to just an awful deflating end when you desperately want a definitive ending. even the Undertaker return after it doesn't help it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009

Spermgod posted:

Austin/Angle from Summerslam 2001 has to be up there. A great, intense 20+ minute match that has one of the biggest wet fart finishes I've ever seen.