Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, FC4's world is much denser and more active than FC3. Not all dramatic fun times all the time, but much more frequently than you'd expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Delivery McGee posted:

Saints Row the Third's use of Kanye's "Power" was perfect. The E3 trailer with Johnny Gat taking a bullet on the line "I need a moment" and the setpiece where you parachute in and steal a penthouse work no matter how you interpret the lyrics.

Yeah, I think SR 3 had some flaws that leave it a bit behind 2 and 4 but god drat, that was a brilliantly done mission in every way.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

moosecow333 posted:

Obviously we just need a Saint's Row game with the same level of destruction that Red Faction had :getin:

That would be amazing in every way. Especially if you could then rebuild the city in your own gloriously gaudy style (and destroy it again).

Since nintendo has announced they're going to bring the Metroid Prime games to the wii u e-shop soon, I figure this is a good excuse to post more about metroid! Fun little detail I've always loved about Echoes is that a lot of people seem to assume Dark Samus falls to the whole dark/light beam weakness thing because of its name. It, in fact, does not and it's even grouped as an off-worlder because of how it's not actually from the dark world. I always thought it was a nice touch. Also the ing will occasionally try to posses Samus though it doesn't work.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mister Adequate posted:

Yeah, I think SR 3 had some flaws that leave it a bit behind 2 and 4 but god drat, that was a brilliantly done mission in every way.

I thought Holding out for a Hero was amazing as well.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Does that kind of thing happen more often in far cry 4? I read so many people mention how good far cry 3 is at making emergent stories, but when I played it I saw almost nothing like that except variants of "an animal attacked the enemies I was fighting," and every story I've read about it basically followed that same premise. Still more interesting than most modern games but the range of possible random things that could happen really didn't seem as broad as people made it sound.

Kinda.
Maybe it's just because I'm really comfortable with this type of stealth game, enemies are usually too dead to do anything funny.
Most good stories come from when I do something inefficient for the sake of comedy

There are 4 or 5 huge fortresses in the game associated with each big villian. They are they end goal for each region BUT you can attack them whenever you want.
Approaching the walls your radio says, "Attacking that fortress while VILLIAN is alive would be suicide!"
Well, YOLO or some poo poo.

The front gates usually have some mines around but if you are slow and deliberate, you can avoid them, plant C4 on the gate, backtrack to a hill, snipe a mine to get every guard to the door to check out the commotion and then detonate the C4.

Fastest fortress clear has been about two minutes.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Nuebot posted:

Since nintendo has announced they're going to bring the Metroid Prime games to the wii u e-shop soon, I figure this is a good excuse to post more about metroid! Fun little detail I've always loved about Echoes is that a lot of people seem to assume Dark Samus falls to the whole dark/light beam weakness thing because of its name. It, in fact, does not and it's even grouped as an off-worlder because of how it's not actually from the dark world. I always thought it was a nice touch. Also the ing will occasionally try to posses Samus though it doesn't work.

The Ing will try to possess you, only to get rebuffed because of the Energy Transfer Module. They actually make a more successful attempt before you get it, though; that's how they stole your poo poo.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I thought Holding out for a Hero was amazing as well.

If we can say that SR3 did one thing to add to the franchise, it's incorporating the soundtrack like that. Personally, my favorites are the Deckers mission in the power plant, and You're The Best Around, but even if 3's musical missions were nothing to write home about they would've been worth it, just because they paved the way for You've Got The Touch.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Nuebot posted:

That would be amazing in every way. Especially if you could then rebuild the city in your own gloriously gaudy style (and destroy it again).

Once again the Space Pirate logs are pretty funny. All their logs can be summarize as "poo poo happen, we're screwed, things are getting worse." Dark things are attacking us. The Phazon is in dark hell world. The (dark) Hunter is here. The Space Police are here now. A second The Hunter is here.

Also, "Do not keep metroids as pets. Do not use metroids for target practice. Do not feed metroids solid food. Do not use own life force to feed metroids. Science team has "vapor for brains."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Cleretic posted:

If we can say that SR3 did one thing to add to the franchise, it's incorporating the soundtrack like that. Personally, my favorites are the Deckers mission in the power plant, and You're The Best Around, but even if 3's musical missions were nothing to write home about they would've been worth it, just because they paved the way for You've Got The Touch.
The only thing that would have improved them a bit is if the songs hadn't been on the radio before their missions. The impact of that last one is slightly lessened if you've heard it a hundred times throughout the game and put it on your mixtape.

Granted, I perfected a synchronized superpower display routine, so there's an element of balance there.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

My Lovely Horse posted:

The only thing that would have improved them a bit is if the songs hadn't been on the radio before their missions. The impact of that last one is slightly lessened if you've heard it a hundred times throughout the game and put it on your mixtape.

Granted, I perfected a synchronized superpower display routine, so there's an element of balance there.

IV's DLC at least does this, although it might be a matter of engine mechanics than anything else. Maybe they simply couldn't add Walk the Dinosaur to the radio.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I really loving loved the beginning of saints row 4 especially the best part:
http://youtu.be/cEO7pEw4HoI

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

My Lovely Horse posted:

The radio is a bit of a problem in SR4 in more ways than that. There just aren't enough songs. It's fine in the earlier games because you only hear the radio when you're driving (or briefly in your crib where it always seemed to be playing Karma Chameleon for some reason), but when you can have the radio on all the time it ends up repeating too much. And as bad as it is with the music, it's even worse with the DJs. Zinyak and Jane reading Shakespeare is funny the first time, but it gets old.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
So, Armored Core for Answer wasn't exactly meant to be that pretty, being more focused on really fast robot fighting, but the missiles look really good when you've got enough of them and you're not looking straight at the front or back of them (which is how you'll see them ~95% of the time). Some Japanese guys got together, choreographed some stuff, and made a music video in game, with missile spam to rival Macross/Robotech.

:siren:Warning for J-pop in video:siren:

On another note, Ace Combat: Joint Assault was pretty amazing because it opened plane customization to all planes, rather than just the ones that don't exist in real life, with it balanced by giving crappier planes better customization options than planes that are naturally good. The end result is that you can barely squeeze any better performance out of something really good like an F-22, but crappy plane, like a Mig-21 or a Grumman f6f or an A6M Zero (all really old planes, the latter two being propeller planes from WWII) can be tuned to outmaneuver an F-22, although they won't be able to match it in other stats.

This made it possible to take down the final boss and his bullshit superplane using a plane going on 70 years old, and win with only minor difficulty

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Ashsaber posted:

On another note, Ace Combat: Joint Assault was pretty amazing because it opened plane customization to all planes, rather than just the ones that don't exist in real life, with it balanced by giving crappier planes better customization options than planes that are naturally good. The end result is that you can barely squeeze any better performance out of something really good like an F-22, but crappy plane, like a Mig-21 or a Grumman f6f or an A6M Zero (all really old planes, the latter two being propeller planes from WWII) can be tuned to outmaneuver an F-22, although they won't be able to match it in other stats.

This made it possible to take down the final boss and his bullshit superplane using a plane going on 70 years old, and win with only minor difficulty

You mistakenly included the MiG-21 in your list of "crappy" planes. Just thought I'd point that out :c00l:

Yeah, that fight is a cakewalk with one of the older planes because the last boss is really good at evading missiles, and the prop planes are all about guns. In a modern jet, it would be a long, drawn-out affair, but if you rock it oldschool, all you have to do is close the gap and hold the fire button down.

X2/Joint Assault was a fantastic game. Lots of planes to choose from, customization, and multiplayer! My only gripe is that once everyone stopped playing, you were effectively locked out of the unlocks you'd have gotten for the co-op only missions. I wish they'd released a patch or something after-the-fact that quietly gave you top ranking on those levels and all the unlocks that came with them.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

moosecow333 posted:

Obviously we just need a Saint's Row game with the same level of destruction that Red Faction had :getin:

They did. Red Faction Guerrilla had the same controls and driving mechanics and fun of Saints Row 2. It just didn't have the customization or character creator. It did have a gun that atomized people though and a Paul Bunyon sledgehammer so it evens out.

Tiggum posted:

The radio is a bit of a problem in SR4 in more ways than that. There just aren't enough songs. It's fine in the earlier games because you only hear the radio when you're driving (or briefly in your crib where it always seemed to be playing Karma Chameleon for some reason), but when you can have the radio on all the time it ends up repeating too much. And as bad as it is with the music, it's even worse with the DJs. Zinyak and Jane reading Shakespeare is funny the first time, but it gets old.

Everything gets old if you leave the radio on all the time or put insane hours into a game. Even the game gets old.

All of the re-incarnation animations after you die in Sunset Overdrive are goddamned amazing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-ZIFCiHZHQ

MrJacobs has a new favorite as of 19:24 on Jan 17, 2015

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I just started playing Pokemon Omega Ruby and in the first big city, you can go in a building where an "Ace Trainer" give you an item called the Float Stone, saying you probably can't use it as well as he can. What the Float Stone does is make the Pokemon holding it weigh less for the purposes of attacks that do damage based on the Pokemon's weight. So when you go into the next room and come back in, the Ace Trainer has been replaced by a much thicker and more heavyset Hiker, who wonders why he's gained all this weight suddenly.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

MrJacobs posted:

Red Faction Guerrilla

Don't know if you can count it as a small thing but that hammer is probably in the top twenty of best game weapons ever.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

TontoCorazon posted:

Don't know if you can count it as a small thing but that hammer is probably in the top twenty of best game weapons ever.

The destruction in general, made a game that would have otherwise been tedious and bland into a shitload of fun. I think I completed almost every hostage rescue by driving a truck through the wall of the room they were held in. The hammer was for making my own doors when I had to go in on foot.

Also if the thrown remote explosives weren't your primary ranged weapon, then you were literally playing the game wrong

Acute Grill has a new favorite as of 03:00 on Jan 18, 2015

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

TontoCorazon posted:

I pretty much used the hammer 24/7 until I got the atomizer gun, then I just used the hammer 70% of the time. It was so goddamn fun to hit dudes with it and send them 40 feet away with a single swing as they ragdolled to their hilarious doom.

Kalos posted:

The destruction in general, made a game that would have otherwise been tedious and bland into a shitload of fun. I think I completed almost every hostage rescue by driving a truck through the wall of the room they were held in. The hammer was for making my own doors when I had to go in on foot.

Also if the thrown remote explosives weren't your primary ranged weapon, then you were literally playing the game wrong

The game had a gun that turned anything it shot at into particles of loving dust. Walls, people, vehicles, whatever. Explosives are just meh when you can atomize motherfuckers in an instant.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MrJacobs posted:

I pretty much used the hammer 24/7 until I got the atomizer gun, then I just used the hammer 70% of the time. It was so goddamn fun to hit dudes with it and send them 40 feet away with a single swing as they ragdolled to their hilarious doom.

My personal best was getting one of those tall silos to collapse around me straight down, instead of just falling over, with just the Hammer. My friend reckoned it couldn't be done, but I proved him wrong :smuggo:.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

MrJacobs posted:

The game had a gun that turned anything it shot at into particles of loving dust. Walls, people, vehicles, whatever. Explosives are just meh when you can atomize motherfuckers in an instant.

What's even the point of destroying something if you don't leave behind a pile of rubble?

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Kalos posted:

What's even the point of destroying something if you don't leave behind a pile of rubble?

There is a mission where you have to blow up a bridge as some EDF are driving across it. The bridge itself is one of the most heavily-fortified structures in the game. The best way to do it is get the Nano Rifle out, and use it to aerosolize the supports of the bridge. Since the game effectively simulates the weight of moving vehicles, the convoy will drive right over, and the resulting pile of garbage, corpses, and explosions looks like an accident instead of terrorism.

Doing the mission this way actually spares you the high-speed fleeing-from-police that usually occurs at the end of RF:G's missions. You get to have your nanomechanical cake and eat it, too.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Just got Guacamelee thanks to a nice guy in the Steam thread and a little thing I appreciate is that the special Metroidy blocks that require special skills to break are the same color as the xbox 360 button you need to press to break them. That way you don't have to remember which blocks you can break with what attacks. That's just good game design.

edit: Well, I played a bit more of it and it turns out this is not true anymore. However the color of the move itself still corresponds to the color of the block so I will leave this post as is.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 07:15 on Jan 18, 2015

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Exit Strategy posted:

Doing the mission this way actually spares you the high-speed fleeing-from-police that usually occurs at the end of RF:G's missions. You get to have your nanomechanical cake and eat it, too.

I do distinctly remember that specific mission as the only time I used a gun.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Metal Gear Solid 3 is a prequel game so you see some older characters from the series in their younger years, one of whom you knockout early on in the game. However it's possible to kill him after the cutscene in which case you get a game over and the colonel from the previous games shouting "YOU CREATED A TIME PARADOX, NOOOOOOOOOO".

Also whatever camouflage and facepaint you have equipped, in cutscenes Snake will be wearing it which is very :3:

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Metal Gear Solid 3 is a prequel game so you see some older characters from the series in their younger years, one of whom you knockout early on in the game. However it's possible to kill him after the cutscene in which case you get a game over and the colonel from the previous games shouting "YOU CREATED A TIME PARADOX, NOOOOOOOOOO".

Also whatever camouflage and facepaint you have equipped, in cutscenes Snake will be wearing it which is very :3:

I like to wear the zombie face paint and pretend I'm one of the Misfits.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

grittyreboot posted:

I like to wear the zombie face paint and pretend I'm one of the Misfits.
Reminds me of one the levels in the Punisher game:

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Alhazred posted:

Reminds me of one the levels in the Punisher game:

That's one of my all-time favorite games. My favorite little thing is how they got Thomas Jane to record a voiceover description of every single gun.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

EmmyOk posted:

This ended up sabotaging all the gravitas of the end of my first playthrough since I never found the snow camo and therefore had to fight The Boss in the whitest outfit I could cook up: the scientist labcoat and zombie facepaint. I felt a lot of the dramatic impact of everything that happened after that was somewhat lessened by Snake's Doctor Skeletor cosplay routine.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Wearing silly poo poo in cutscenes is the best. A while back FFXIV added a hat based on the slimes from Dragon Quest and nothing livens up a serious storyline quest like seeing that thing jiggling on your head while NPCs are talking away.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

The attached trophy on the HD edition is pretty great too. I think the description goes "Problem solved, series over."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Saints Row 2 is still the best for that. There's a hidden store where you can buy, among other things, a full body hot dog costume.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bolMVJymBs

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

EmmyOk posted:

Also, since it's a prequel, if you get any game over and sit long enough at the screen, it'll turn into the 'TIME PARADOX' screen.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

a kitten posted:

Wearing silly poo poo in cutscenes is the best. A while back FFXIV added a hat based on the slimes from Dragon Quest and nothing livens up a serious storyline quest like seeing that thing jiggling on your head while NPCs are talking away.

The Secret World has serveral variations on that creepy horse mask. So if the horse mask itself is too sane, you can be a unicorn instead!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cleretic posted:

The Secret World has serveral variations on that creepy horse mask. So if the horse mask itself is too sane, you can be a unicorn instead!

It's horn sparkles! And it can be used to torture pubbies during RP events like weddings. It also let me stand out enough that the old(current?) funcom community manager could pick me out of the crowd of people in her stream for charity. Apparently the unicorn, wings, and a red speedo was enough for them to go "Oh. That's forum trouble maker EvilBillMurray."

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Guild Wars 2 is the same, you can drink tonics to change your form so you can be in cutscene discovering this wondrous thing while looking like a pig or a chair.

The latest living story thing has a bunch of images of people in the last super tragic scene with their panda and speedo wearing elf minis in the way completely ruining any serious tone.

Course that already happens anyway like the one scene where someone loses their sibling and as soon as you finish the scene and the episode ends your character blurts out something related to loot like "SWEET SWEET LOOT" while standing underneath the strangled corpse of said sibling.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Alteisen posted:

Guild Wars 2 is the same, you can drink tonics to change your form so you can be in cutscene discovering this wondrous thing while looking like a pig or a chair.

The latest living story thing has a bunch of images of people in the last super tragic scene with their panda and speedo wearing elf minis in the way completely ruining any serious tone.

Course that already happens anyway like the one scene where someone loses their sibling and as soon as you finish the scene and the episode ends your character blurts out something related to loot like "SWEET SWEET LOOT" while standing underneath the strangled corpse of said sibling.

In Mass Effect 2, they put an item drop on the corpse of a person very close to one of the main crew. Shepard gives auditory cues that there are items nearby so you won't miss them, so a cutscene where Shepard comforts their crewmember over this loss is almost immediately followed by them delightedly spotting something in the corpses' clothing and going,"I CAN USE THIS! :haw:"

So-Crates Johnson
Sep 16, 2014
I remember fighting The End in MGS3 and hating it. He sits there, pelting you with tranquilizers from afar like a petulant little poo poo (more annoying than deadly). It isn't very challenging, just annoying. It turns out you can shoot The End's parrot and eat it in front of him--his only companion for years and years...

"That's drat good!"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Wolfenstein: The New Order carries on the series' tradition of making fun of you should you decide to quit, which is great. There are several of these and they're all funny.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

So-Crates Johnson posted:

I remember fighting The End in MGS3 and hating it. He sits there, pelting you with tranquilizers from afar like a petulant little poo poo (more annoying than deadly). It isn't very challenging, just annoying. It turns out you can shoot The End's parrot and eat it in front of him--his only companion for years and years...

"That's drat good!"
Follow this up by turning the sniper duel into a fistfight for extra fun. That old dude can really haul rear end.

I love how the bosses in MGS3 (seasoned, legendary war vets) whine like children when you don't fight them "correctly."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
The best thing about The End is that there are two ways to gimmick kill him. One is just using the SVD to shoot him after he's introduced in the cutscene a bit after you kill The Pain. Amusingly enough one of the wheels from his wheelchair comes flying right at you when he explodes and if it hits it does loving absurd damage. The other one is to start the fight with him, save, quit and set your clock ahead a week. Turns out he just dies of old age that way.