Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absum
May 28, 2013

Diogines posted:

Ishamal says "When I can be sure you won't try to throw petty tyrants off their thrones or challenge the priesthood. Maybe then."

If he means never he can just say so you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:
O. Voting for this only because Ish actually answered a question and promised he would show us a safe way to do this.

AzureKing
Nov 2, 2012

One day I shall return to your side.
O.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
O

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Hey Ishamal can we show Indor?

O

Althair
Jul 26, 2006
words are weapons
More forthcoming Ishamal is amazing.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.

Diogines posted:

And I am sure you hate to hear such words, but the truth is yes, I really will tell you. When you are older and show the wisdom to not do anything dangerous with that knowledge. Even unintentionally."

Ishamal says "When I can be sure you won't try to throw petty tyrants off their thrones or challenge the priesthood. Maybe then."

In recent years Ishamal has made it clear he is pleased by your decision to not experiment and has been speaking to you a bit more openly.

Alright, I can respect that. At least it's a bit more sincere now that, yes, I truly will answer some stuff at some point.

What's your favorite color Ish? Maybe that will get an answer and won't give us unintended info.

Unless his favorite color is a color we have no name for in which case aaarrrgggghhhh

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

HiHo ChiRho posted:

"Why does every exercise somehow happens to have a potential to kill me? Also, is turning stagnant water to like, wine doable?"

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

P.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

O

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Task Manager posted:

Alright, I can respect that. At least it's a bit more sincere now that, yes, I truly will answer some stuff at some point.

What's your favorite color Ish? Maybe that will get an answer and won't give us unintended info.

Unless his favorite color is a color we have no name for in which case aaarrrgggghhhh
His favorite color is shmurple. Somehow we immediately know which one he's talking about.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

JT Jag posted:

Us starting Kavodel has at least served the purpose of keeping us out of trouble. We would have definitely either broken the rules or gotten someone we love killed by now if we had kept monster hunting as usual. Now we're getting rich and learning the secrets of the universe. It's slow-going, but sometimes you have to be patient if you want actual answers.

Right now The Balls are treading in the footsteps of literal giants. Wandering amidts the ruins of civilisations gone by. With each step they take they grow closer to the equator, and to knowing the unknown. Giants, organised and working together, could be another civilisation that we've never heard of before.

Meanwhile, we sit in a market and hawk justice for slavers

The flaming lip
Oct 1, 2005
Likes shitty music
O

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897

Diogines posted:

Ask: "People often look to me as an example, even questioning their own views based on my actions. I imagine there may be times when even that may be a challenge to the priesthood as it stands now? I know that must be at least a factor in why you hold your opinions so closely guarded. Tell me, does continuing to gain knowledge and understanding require that one withdraw from society in such a manner? Does the act of learning some truths mean that you are no longer able to make peoples' lives better? It seems cruel if learning the ways of the world means you are no longer able to help people change them."

The flaming lip
Oct 1, 2005
Likes shitty music

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Right now The Balls are treading in the footsteps of literal giants. Wandering amidts the ruins of civilisations gone by. With each step they take they grow closer to the equator, and to knowing the unknown. Giants, organised and working together, could be another civilisation that we've never heard of before.

Meanwhile, we sit in a market and hawk justice for slavers

This is how Tudiya feels all the time

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

The flaming lip posted:

This is how Tudiya feels all the time

Cool glad we have nothing to look forward to then.

Cornuto fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 16, 2015

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

If we were there, I would totally be voting to try and talk to the next group of giants we ran into, because giants are cool, and probably I'd get us killed in the process. But we aren't there.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
What we just learned is that not only is remote sensing totally possible for us it is a learnable skill and in bounds (eventually) as long as we are not possessing the body of another being. Apparently we can learn to do this without the aid of such things as bloody skulls and charms.

Does that include birds and such I wonder? Which beings are considered to have the possibility of free will and which not and does this matter? We know people can be put into trees don't we? Could we possess a tree if we safely knew how to return? Is there a difference between seeing what a bird would see and possessing it? I don't want to ask Ishamal those questions now. Just wondering.

We might also know from this conversation that Ishamal is hip to our whole envoy thing and conversation with Jobe. If so, we really gain no benefit in lying to him about much of anything until we learn how.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 16, 2015

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

O - Let's be honest, have we actually KEPT a secret from Ishamal? He's done a better job keeping it secret that he knows we're lying than we've ever done at keeping our secrets. Plus, I don't want to recreate the bodyswap incident, and Ish actually gave us a straight answer on the matter, that's worth the price of admission.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Diogines posted:

In recent years Ishamal has made it clear he is pleased by your decision to not experiment and has been speaking to you a bit more openly.

"Well, I'm not gonna listen to Ishamal as long as he keeps stonewalling me!"

"Well, I'm not gonna teach Enkidel any more poo poo as long as he keeps going behind my back!"

*MUTUAL POUT*

Diogines posted:

Ishamal says "No, but I have a challenge of another sort, the same shared by Chait and the well Blooded and very old who have decided to remain here and not make the Climb. To live in the world and not bend it to our will, with the best of intentions, because we know best, have great experience and power. To let men make the same mistakes their grandfathers did. You have the potential for great power Enkidel, but your life has been short and some day you will understand the struggle. Some wished you removed, your friends in that grove vouched for you."

Grin and ask "So you consider it a challenge not to keep correcting the mistakes of others, eh? Does this make me your greatest challenge yet?"

But more seriously,

Ask Ish (or ourselves if we know of any such stories off the top of our head) - "Do the Old Tales speak of any who failed that challenge?"

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

Tomn posted:

Ask Ish (or ourselves if we know of any such stories off the top of our head) - "Do the Old Tales speak of any who failed that challenge?"

Probably Labaras.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

If this turns out like The Village and there are advanced civilizations elsewhere in the world...

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Cornuto posted:

Probably Labaras.
They probably didn't have these rules until Labaras changed the paradigm.

Razage
Nov 12, 2007

I'm sorry,
I can't hear you over the sound of how HIP I am.
O

Eat the powder!

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

JT Jag posted:

They probably didn't have these rules until Labaras changed the paradigm.

Diogines posted:

The Woman: "But still, you are a danger"
The Child: "Even in your kindness"
The Man: "You might make them your thralls"
The Woman: "A lesson Tudiya and his fathers learned well"

I mean, who were Tudiya's forefathers... he's a decendant of Zepa, who was a decendant of Labaras.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

hiddenriverninja posted:

If this turns out like The Village and there are advanced civilizations elsewhere in the world...

There are though?

Norcs had coins, full plate mass-produced armour, trebuchets, and proper training as an army.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

There are though?

Norcs had coins, full plate mass-produced armour, trebuchets, and proper training as an army.

Yeah, but I mean like cars and radios etc.

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

O

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
O. Drink the powder.

You're also a medicine maker? Is there a skill you don't know?
Doctor Ishamal, should I avoid drinking alcohol before going to bed with this powder?

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Diogines posted:

The bottom of it continues to grow wider as it fills with water, as the top stays the same. The likelihood of you accidentally and unknowingly loosing control is if not gone, than very, very remote. This is a very good thing. You are making good progress."

When does the bottom of the well stop growing wider? What the gently caress have you done to me?

3. P

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Cornuto posted:

Probably Labaras.

You know...that would honestly make a lot of sense. Perhaps all of Urian society represents, in effect, one man's well-meaning efforts to bring about a better world than the one he was born in - only to find that he had created a society that locked down his statements and treated them as divine writ with little capacity for change or self-correction. He had done much good, but at the same time enshrined much evil.

Ask Ishamal: You mentioned, once, that Zepa was wise. Was Labaras wise?

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

I really only come here for the Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens CYOA these days.
SA was one of the first websites I ever frequented, waaaaay back in the day. I only got off my ass and got an account about 8 years ago. I bought the platinum upgrade recently.
Ok, so we can't even try to freeze a bit of the river yet. Disappointing. Maybe it's like Ice-9 or something.

Aw well.

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897

Tomn posted:

You know...that would honestly make a lot of sense. Perhaps all of Urian society represents, in effect, one man's well-meaning efforts to bring about a better world than the one he was born in - only to find that he had created a society that locked down his statements and treated them as divine writ with little capacity for change or self-correction. He had done much good, but at the same time enshrined much evil.

Except for the whole "Labaras Blood = Superhero" thing. There's already questions about the truth of that, but any other theory has to take that into account. It's not something as simple as worship -> power, since we got a big boost to our potency after the toad fight. Why would Labaras's lineage be so full of ??? if he was just an average dude who tried to tell the world what was up?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

3. O

I'm glad we asked. Now we won't kill Snarls and we can practice remote viewing.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Neraren posted:

Except for the whole "Labaras Blood = Superhero" thing. There's already questions about the truth of that, but any other theory has to take that into account. It's not something as simple as worship -> power, since we got a big boost to our potency after the toad fight. Why would Labaras's lineage be so full of ??? if he was just an average dude who tried to tell the world what was up?

Well, no, I didn't say he was an average dude. What I thought was being explained was simply why Urian society is the way it is: Because someone a lot like us way in the past tried to do a lot of good and found that he couldn't avoid doing a lot of harm in the process - and couldn't fix the harm without doing even more harm.

Shuukage
Jun 2, 2005
Vagabond
3:O

Can we ask Ish " The most glaring message I have received from yourself and the Melachim has been that it is the worst of sins to bend others to your will forcefully, to take free will is an abomination. Why is slavery still tolerated? I don't want to speak ill of a man i never knew but the lessons Labaras brought down from the mountain have become so rooted that men are stuck between living a life in strict accordance or being singled out or killed as heretics. Do you think tradition is also a form a slavery? Were those lessons meant to be so unwavering as to stifle any creativity or free thought for the next 1000 years?"

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Cornuto posted:

Cool glad we have nothing to look forward to then.

Don't worry, little does Ishamel know, but our growing "wisdom" is subject to the whims of goons. Once we know how to form an ice palace with our mind...will we really resist?

DCBomB
Sep 14, 2008

Diogines posted:

Ishamal tells you that "You cannot control your dreams. Yet. We will work on that when you come back. Trying to inhabit the body of another is a... monstrous violation and probably deadly for at least one of the two involved. When Snarls returns I will teach you and he how he might share what he sees with you, first while you sleep and then knowingly while you are both awake. It is a useful exercise to teach you control."

Ishamal says "I would let others see the world with their own fresh eyes, rather than my old ones."

Ishamal from an alternate universe posted:

Enkidel... Why are you a dog?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Withholds-all-the-information-until-the-last-second! Help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

unimportantguy posted:

I feel as if, in that pause, Ishamal is going "gently caress. gently caress. Was he controlling Danal? Fuuuuuuck. poo poo. He's staring at you. Say something!"

Hah

P. Just want to get Indor's impression, probably O afterwards unless she tells us it's actually KILL-YOU powder or something.

Diogines posted:

Ishamal says "No, but I have a challenge of another sort, the same shared by Chait and the well Blooded and very old who have decided to remain here and not make the Climb. To live in the world and not bend it to our will, with the best of intentions, because we know best, have great experience and power. To let men make the same mistakes their grandfathers did. You have the potential for great power Enkidel, but your life has been short and some day you will understand the struggle. Some wished you removed, your friends in that grove vouched for you."

Good point Ish, it would be terrible if we lived in a world where the learned and experienced shared their knowledge with others, instead of keeping it locked away so civilization has to constantly relearn the same poo poo over and over and over.

Mighty Chemist: Phew, good thing I've finished identifying and classifying all of the Urian elements on this Periodic Table. Now time to destroy it, lest anyone else learn of it without committing the same mistakes I did.