Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
gcc had virtually no new features for several years, because rms refused contributions. so it got forked. three years later, egcs (the fork) became the basis of gcc 3.x and gcc 4.x

emacs was famously forked to become lucid emacs / xemacs. it was called xemacs in part because rms, for many years, refused to include X11 support in his source tree, on the theory that was an emacs 19 feature that would be released any day now. (obviously, now, 20 years later, most xemacs enhancements are included in gnu emacs. i don't even know if xemacs is still developed)

what i'm saying is that rms is very good at being stubborn, even if it shuts down projects for years at a time

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
does stallman even know how to program anymore. When was his last commit? 1983?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Switched thinkpad to fedora yesterday, notable improvements over ubanto LTS:

Screen is now capable of more than 4 levels of brightness
Battery level isn't hidden as soon as AC is attached
Gnome 3 feels way smoother in general

Installer issues in fedora: partition flow is really bad. Also afaict theres no way to go back and pick a different HDD if you picked the wrong one the first time, short of killing the whole installer and starting over

E: fix phone typing

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 16, 2015

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol steam is doing damage control now. they deleted the #scary commit from github.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

rms doesn't type anymore, so he probably doesn't program

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

There Will Be Penalty posted:

that would not have solved the problem

but it is a good practice i guess

Oh yeah, agreed. I just meant the practice in general should be used by anyone writing shell scripts.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

fedora question. should i stick with default window thing or is it worth trying these extra lightweight kfc, lxda and w/e others there are
it works perfectly fine as is, im just curious if its something optimizable or not

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

rms doesn't type anymore, so he probably doesn't program

tbh I'm just waiting to find out that rms died like three years ago and rms@gnu.org is run by a markov bot

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

emacs was famously forked to become lucid emacs / xemacs. it was called xemacs in part because rms, for many years, refused to include X11 support in his source tree, on the theory that was an emacs 19 feature that would be released any day now. (obviously, now, 20 years later, most xemacs enhancements are included in gnu emacs. i don't even know if xemacs is still developed)

I don't know either, but I do know several people who still insist on using xemacs because they refuse to believe gnu emacs has improved at all in the last decade, precisely because rms

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
basically the only reason I do not consider rms the lowest scum of the earth is because esr exists

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Suspicious Dish posted:

tbh I'm just waiting to find out that rms died like three years ago and rms@gnu.org is run by a markov bot

didn't he have a heart attack at some conference in brazil or something the year before and had to be wheeled out

and then 'went home'

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

rms is misguided and poorly socialized, but I don't think he's scum. he lives his values and is transparent about his motivations, neither of which I think is true about esr. esr is manipulating and self-aggrandizing. there are others in the space who I also think are much more "scummy" (acting in bad faith) than rms.

(and I have no real love for rms)

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Soricidus posted:

basically the only reason I do not consider rms the lowest scum of the earth is because esr exists

Ahh, ESR. In retrospect his book should have been called "The cathedral and speaker's corner".

Oh man, I always wanted to make the front page of slashdot!

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
linus is the only cool linux man

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
by the way can you really get a good beer for $3.50

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Phoenixan posted:

tridge is p sweet, and sct/alan too though I'm not sure they're active any more.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Phoenixan posted:

linux is a repugnant piece of poo poo, but at least he's honest about it

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

at a bar, no

if you live near a european grocery store you can get a half liter of weihenstephaner of ayinger for $3 and change

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

linux is a repugnant piece of poo poo, but at least he's honest about it

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Suspicious Dish posted:

Guess bitcoiners live in a fantasy world where beer is as divisible as bitcoin.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Suspicious Dish posted:

no because good bear is a myth

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

christine is a great person. she was at the red hat office i was at.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Counterpoint: You do what exactly for a living?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

uve made a bad post itt m8, prepare for the onslaught

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Suspicious Dish posted:

there's a decent bock u can get here in swamp germany for a buck 50

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
$3.50 wouldn't even buy a beer in my god forsaken frozen wasteland of a country (Canada).

well maybe a really bad beer.

like a lucky lager

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

i see this technical commentary from a jvm performance engineer came from a woman who isn't a 20-something model

clearly it should be held up for mockery instead of considered as a serious industry endorsement

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

kalstrams posted:

fedora question. should i stick with default window thing or is it worth trying these extra lightweight kfc, lxda and w/e others there are
it works perfectly fine as is, im just curious if its something optimizable or not

"lightweight" is nonsense. nothing is lightweight and nothing ever has been.

if you want a fancy window system that's like windows but better, you want kde

if you want to script your poo poo in lisp try stumpwm

if you're insane try a tiling window manager. they're at least a cool stunt

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Soricidus posted:

I don't know either, but I do know several people who still insist on using xemacs because they refuse to believe gnu emacs has improved at all in the last decade, precisely because rms

i looked it up and xemacs hasn't had a release since 2009. gonna call that dead

gnu emacs is actually releasing poo poo on a regular basis now. thanks, rms, for leaving people alone enough that they could contribute to your masterwork

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

When I was still in my throes of stupidity before embracing the stebe computer I had one of those netbooks and the only way I could get non-terrible (merely awful) performance out of it was to use openbox, and avoid anything that brought bits of gnome or kde with it. since XFCE and LXDE rely on gnome demons or whatever they also ran like crap.

e: now I'm in the stables of my stupidity

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

ZShakespeare posted:

$3.50 wouldn't even buy a beer in my god forsaken frozen wasteland of a country (Canada).

well maybe a really bad beer.

like a lucky lager

I get pints of draught pbr at my local dive for 3.00 in Los Angeles

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Phoenixan posted:

if only he knew something about operating systems, file systems, or version control

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Smythe posted:

quote:

Under the new rules, the minimum drink price is $3 for a single-ounce cocktail, a five-ounce glass of wine or a 12-ounce sleeve of beer.

http://www.news1130.com/2014/06/20/new-bc-liquor-laws-bring-happy-hour-to-british-columbia/

I could get something!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

gnu emacs is actually releasing poo poo on a regular basis now. thanks, rms, for leaving people alone enough that they could contribute to your masterwork

reminder that rms didn't invent emacs in the first place, didn't come up with the idea of either extending or implementing emacs in lisp, and also didn't author the original gnu emacs himself (he started from gosmacs and then was forced by evil freedom-denying lawyers to replace all the Unipress-copyright code)

also, dan weinreb (rip) is on record as saying symbolics caught rms directly copying their code into the LMI codebase he was hacking on at the AI lab, and only started clean-room implementation after being caught

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Smythe posted:

enjoy your corn syrup

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

reminder that rms didn't invent emacs in the first place, didn't come up with the idea of either extending or implementing emacs in lisp, and also didn't author the original gnu emacs himself (he started from gosmacs and then was forced by evil freedom-denying lawyers to replace all the Unipress-copyright code)

gnu emacs exists specifically because the license change on gosmacs caught the community by surprise. people had thought gosmacs was open source. and then suddenly it wasn't.

eschaton posted:

also, dan weinreb (rip) is on record as saying symbolics caught rms directly copying their code into the LMI codebase he was hacking on at the AI lab, and only started clean-room implementation after being caught

rms openly admits to this in levy's "hackers." rms was working in the AI lab when symbolics and LMI started up. the two firms took pretty much all of the staff.

rms was hired by neither lmi nor symbolics. he considered it his duty to try and port changes from symbolics to the existing mit cadr codebase, and incidentally help his buddies at lmi. this was hilariously naive, even silly, but it reflects rms' beliefs about software.

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

rms' beliefs about software

'gently caress you dad'

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

"lightweight" is nonsense. nothing is lightweight and nothing ever has been.

if you want a fancy window system that's like windows but better, you want kde

if you want to script your poo poo in lisp try stumpwm

if you're insane try a tiling window manager. they're at least a cool stunt
alright, thanks. ill stick with whatever there is now (?gnome 3?) until something breaks :effort:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

hey keyvin, is there anything in your logs about ntfs-3g crashing shortly before Steam deleted everything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i see this technical commentary from a jvm performance engineer came from a woman who isn't a 20-something model

clearly it should be held up for mockery instead of considered as a serious industry endorsement

More that she stole Apple's tag line. I don't care what she looks like.