Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

HIMYM's ending is built over the entire show and it fits the narrative perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The Heroes Reboot is still happening and gets Zachary Levi to star:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/heroes-reboot-taps-zachary-levi-764347

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Aphrodite posted:

HIMYM's ending is built over the entire show and it fits the narrative perfectly.

They wrote the ending when they presumed they had about 3 or 4 seasons max. They then churned out tons more, made Ted an rear end in a top hat the audience hated, introduced the mother character for an entire season that the audience loved then decided to keep the ending that doesn't fit anymore. It was utter garbage.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

They wrote the ending when they presumed they had about 3 or 4 seasons max. They then churned out tons more, made Ted an rear end in a top hat the audience hated, introduced the mother character for an entire season that the audience loved then decided to keep the ending that doesn't fit anymore. It was utter garbage.

Sure. But it still fit the show because people had been saying for years the story seemed to actually be about Robin.

It's not out of left field like, for example, turning into the Punisher with a sentry gun.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/heroes-reboot-taps-zachary-levi-764347

The Heroes reboot already happened, it was called Alphas and was awesome, and the network jerks cancelled it on the worst cliffhanger ever. :argh:

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah. I understand the hate for BSG's ending, but HIMYM's was fine, and made sense.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Rabbit Hill posted:

The Heroes reboot already happened, it was called Alphas and was awesome, and the network jerks cancelled it on the worst cliffhanger ever. :argh:

It wasn't the worst cliffhanger. Everybody died. That's resolution.

Better than this drivel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcGMlP60NJA

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Everybody dies is my New Year's Resolution.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

GreenNight posted:

After I'd given up on Heroes, I heard that Bryan Fuller went back to it (Pushing Daisies had just been cancelled) and then left almost immediately because he decided it was impossible to salvage anything from it by that point. Any truth to that?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Aphrodite posted:

Sure. But it still fit the show because people had been saying for years the story seemed to actually be about Robin.

It's not out of left field like, for example, turning into the Punisher with a sentry gun.

It wasn't out of left field simply because the writing had driven the show into the ground and they'd made it very clear where they were going. They didn't even try to hide it when they did the future episode that was oh-so-subtle about the fact the mother had obviously died.

I'm glad the alternative ending exists because I like that one perfectly fine.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Aphrodite posted:

Sure, if you ignore everything after season 2, especially the last two seasons when they spent hours on showing us how good a pairing Robin and Barney are, and how it's ~~TRUE LOVE~~. I think it was Sepinwall how said, it was a finale for people who only watched the first season. And would only have worked if they had cast a far worse and less likeable actress as mother.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

Yes it does.

And it is also terrible.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Metal Loaf posted:

After I'd given up on Heroes, I heard that Bryan Fuller went back to it (Pushing Daisies had just been cancelled) and then left almost immediately because he decided it was impossible to salvage anything from it by that point. Any truth to that?
Possibly. But I do remember when his episodes in like late in season 4 showed up they were actually good. And then he either stopped consulting or something and it immediately became poo poo again.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DaveWoo posted:

Yes it does.

And it is also terrible.

It's a terrible episode. It's a very fitting finale.

Decius posted:

Sure, if you ignore everything after season 2, especially the last two seasons when they spent hours on showing us how good a pairing Robin and Barney are, and how it's ~~TRUE LOVE~~. I think it was Sepinwall how said, it was a finale for people who only watched the first season. And would only have worked if they had cast a far worse and less likeable actress as mother.

They constantly showed that Barney and Robin were terrible together.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Metal Loaf posted:

He came back for a very short period in (I believe) season 3. It wasn't very long but he did fix some of the season's problems.

In other Fuller news, while it doesn't have an official date NBC has stated that Hannibal returns sometime this summer.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Ha. Not sure if this has been posted, but Sepinwall wrote this about the panel for 'Fresh Off The Boat'.

quote:

The fact that it's been so long since "All-American Girl" — a bad behind-the-scenes experience Cho has written and performed about extensively — suggests it's long past time for a show like this, as did an uncomfortable moment early in the panel when a reporter (not a TCA member, but someone credentialed by ABC) asked, "I love the Asian culture, and I was just talking about the chopsticks. I just love all that. Will I get to see that, or will it be more Americanized?" (The cast — and the TCA — looked mortified, but then Park joked, "The original title was 'Chopsticks,'" and Wu added, "But 'Chopsticks' was too controversial.")

Like, well done for handling that as well as they did, but jesus what a thing to ask.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

DrVenkman posted:

Like, well done for handling that as well as they did, but jesus what a thing to ask.

I'm assuming the question was sarcastic as hell and want to give that guy a high-five.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Speaking of awkward interactions at the TCA...

quote:

According to Deadline, Entertainment Weekly, Slate, and other sources who were there, things then got a little “testy,” as HitFix’s Daniel Fienberg pressed an “irritated” Greenblatt on when the number of women who have accused Cosby over the years officially reached that “critical mass” necessary to sever ties with him, a mere four months after NBC had hailed Cosby at the last TCAs.

“So, 15, yes? Two or three, no?” Fienberg asked.

“Yeah, you want me to put a number on it?” Greenblatt retorted. “Fifteen ‘yes,’ two ‘no.’ Yeah, do you really want me to answer that question? All I can tell you is there’s a lot of people who have been in business with Cosby for 25 years and go ask them the same question. I just answered what I could answer. I didn’t think it was a problem until it became critical.”

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Decius posted:

And would only have worked if they had cast a far worse and less likeable actress as mother.

She has a mouse face and every single thing about the character was saccharine crap.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This comedy show about who's overarching plot y'all are so salty: was it funny?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

This comedy show about who's overarching plot y'all are so salty: was it funny?

Not towards the end.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

He's got a point, though. Its easy to dismiss a couple of cranks coming out of the woodwork to tear Cosby down decades after the alleged rapes occurred. When its over a dozen, some of whom are credible, it becomes harder to ignore. On top of that is the disturbing notion that a person can have his career and reputation ruined by unsubstantiated accusations over something that no one is in a position now, decades later, to prove or disprove. Does anyone really want to reward and encourage this kind of disgustingly reactionary mob rule? I certainly wouldn't if I were in Greenblatt's shoes.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

He's got a point, though. Its easy to dismiss a couple of cranks coming out of the woodwork to tear Cosby down decades after the alleged rapes occurred. When its over a dozen, some of whom are credible, it becomes harder to ignore. On top of that is the disturbing notion that a person can have his career and reputation ruined by unsubstantiated accusations over something that no one is in a position now, decades later, to prove or disprove. Does anyone really want to reward and encourage this kind of disgustingly reactionary mob rule? I certainly wouldn't if I were in Greenblatt's shoes.

I see you're new to the internet. Reactionary anger about anything is a base state now. Look at the positive feedback teenagers get for finding people saying un-pc things on Facebook and badgering their employers and families. It's like real activism, but you don't have to miss your raid or look people in the eye.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
Has anyone here seen The Fall? I just finished the second season and I'm curious what you thought of it.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

Ravane posted:

It's been a decade since Galactica. We do need a space tv show.

The one thing I know about BSG is that the less you care about the science fiction aspects of it the more you will enjoy it. Which is why I enjoyed it quite a bit!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Sophia posted:

The one thing I know about BSG is that the less you care about the science fiction aspects of it the more you will enjoy it. Which is why I enjoyed it quite a bit!

Yeah, the show could have been set on a farm or a boat and I would've enjoyed it just the same. I'm not really a fan of space shows and the setting really had little to do with why I enjoyed it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

So I'm 4 episodes in to Breaking Bad now... I don't know why I waited so long to watch this, probably because my wife actively does not want to watch it. Does it just get better from here, or are there any rough spots later on that I should be expecting?

Also, is there something that Skyler does at some point that brought the rage of the internet down upon her, or was that all just a case of Internet Males being Internet Males? That's pretty much the only thing I knew about any of the characters beforehand. She seems a bit naggy I guess, but it's not as though it's at all unwarranted. Hank is the only one that strikes me as a major shitlord so far, I don't like that guy at all.

Aphrodite posted:

The narrative being that Ted is a humongous piece of poo poo?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Skyler stands in the way of super cool Badass Walt becoming scarface and she gets mad at for some reason about being a drug kingpin?

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

raditts posted:

So I'm 4 episodes in to Breaking Bad now... I don't know why I waited so long to watch this, probably because my wife actively does not want to watch it. Does it just get better from here, or are there any rough spots later on that I should be expecting?

Also, is there something that Skyler does at some point that brought the rage of the internet down upon her, or was that all just a case of Internet Males being Internet Males? That's pretty much the only thing I knew about any of the characters beforehand. She seems a bit naggy I guess, but it's not as though it's at all unwarranted. Hank is the only one that strikes me as a major shitlord so far, I don't like that guy at all.

It does get better, and although I'm not the biggest fan of Season 2, Most people agree that then and beyond is where Breaking Bad attains "holy poo poo this is so loving good" status.

And yes, Skyler being considered a nag is a case of internet shitlords being shitlords.

e: accuracy

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

Also, is there something that Skyler does at some point that brought the rage of the internet down upon her, or was that all just a case of Internet Males being Internet Males?

Season 2's payoff is dumb and season 3 kinda drags because its mainly set up for season 4. I'll repeat the advice I give everybody when it comes to Breaking Bad: Don't marathon it. Watch one or two episodes at a time. Pace it out. The show is loving slow, dire and bleak. You'll burn yourself out if you try to watch too much too quickly.

Skyler's a huge nag and, though many would argue that's its justified, the fact remains, no one likes a nag. She eventually nags herself out by season 4 and becomes a cool and sympathetic character after that. So if she starts to wear on you, just keep reminding yourself, "it gets better."

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Skyler's got a bunch of flaws but the incredibly disproportionate rage is due to idiots being idiots.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
You're in the roughest spot, but I don't consider it very rough at all.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

raditts posted:

It ranges from good to great. There are no real 'bad' episodes. I also think it will stand the test of time because if you're spoiled on the ending of the show - it's the journey getting there that makes it great. It never once feels like the show/creators don't know what they're doing.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

CaptainHollywood posted:

It ranges from good to great. There are no real 'bad' episodes. I also think it will stand the test of time because if you're spoiled on the ending of the show - it's the journey getting there that makes it great. It never once feels like the show/creators don't know what they're doing.
Well I mean, some people's opinions are really divided on Fly.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
That's true, Fly's the second-most argued about thing in Breaking Bad after Skyler.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

raditts posted:

The narrative being that Ted is a humongous piece of poo poo?

A humongous piece of poo poo that likes to tell his kids about all the tail he use to get.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

raditts posted:

Skylar is a flawed human being, but the rage against her comes from being in the way of the main character at times, add in some sexism and you arrive at the "that oval office" level of hate she used to get.
Season 2 is a marked improvement, it mainly has some growing pains with the overarching plot but the individual episodes are good. Season 3 onwards is a pretty much a constant train of quality. Hank gets a bit of readjustment, you'll see eventually.

As an aside, unlike a some people I personally think season 1 is high quality already, better then the relatively weaker episodes in s2 and only hampered by the short season/writers strike. The pilot alone is a wonderful hour of television.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
"They sent me too far back in the past."
"This is the present :downs:"

That's some grade A quality syfy dialogue right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Better than I expected.

• Locked thread