Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Alteisen posted:

What Catacombs dude? :confused:

The only Catacombs in the game are the Ascalonian Catacombs which is a level 30-35 its the easiest dungeon in the game, party of 5 people only.

It's still difficult to solo outside of a few classes/builds and if absolutely no one will random it then it can be difficult to finish let alone farm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Elysiume posted:

A(nother) thing dragging Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate down: the inane damage system. Most weapons deal physical and elemental damage. You'd think that if you have e.g. 750 physical damage and 250 elemental damage, you'll deal roughly 25% of your damage from the element. Turns out that elemental damage is actually divided by 10 for some reason. It also turns out that every weapon class (longsword, hammer, etc.) has a hidden physical damage multiplier. So a 750/250 longsword is actually dealing 227/25, and a 750/250 hammer is actually dealing 144/25. Then there are some weapon types that have additional, extra damage multipliers, such as sword and shield dealing 6% bonus damage on cutting attacks.

And that's all ignoring that every monster has different physical and elemental resists for each body part. That parts not so bad, it's the ridiculous hidden multipliers on everything.

Monster Hunter Tri was the only MH game I played and I really enjoyed it but the amount of things like this you had to look up on the internet to have any idea what was going on was ridiculous. There's a huge amount of complexity to the game and it actually helps to understand it, but only maybe 10% of it is things you can actually pick up on by playing the game normally. That goes both for mechanics and just things like what each weapon upgrade leads to (you upgraded to the Fabulous Switchaxe H instead of the Fabulous Switchaxe R with almost identical stats? well now you're on an upgrade track to a worse weapon. get ruined)

CISscum
Nov 15, 2014

JebanyPedal posted:

Also the Knight Enchanter is so outrageously overpowered that Nightmare becomes a joke and you can solo 3 dragons higher level than you with no sweat while your dead allies are lying around you.
On overpowered front nothing is even close to the bow Tempest, one-shotting dragons on Nightmare with Thousand Cuts. And thanks to Fire Flask she can do it every 30 seconds. Bioware gud at balance.

Shaking lemur butt
Jan 5, 2015

:haw: :v: :ohdear: :cool:

Red Minjo posted:

That snarky male voice is a piece of equipment, some boxers or trousers or whatever. It doesn't have any mechanical benefit, so it is safe to take off even before you get something to fill its slot.

Haha, wow, I thought it was the game bugging out because they hadn't considered people playing without a male character. Now I feel dumb. And relieved.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Elysiume posted:

A(nother) thing dragging Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate down: the inane damage system. Most weapons deal physical and elemental damage. You'd think that if you have e.g. 750 physical damage and 250 elemental damage, you'll deal roughly 25% of your damage from the element. Turns out that elemental damage is actually divided by 10 for some reason. It also turns out that every weapon class (longsword, hammer, etc.) has a hidden physical damage multiplier. So a 750/250 longsword is actually dealing 227/25, and a 750/250 hammer is actually dealing 144/25. Then there are some weapon types that have additional, extra damage multipliers, such as sword and shield dealing 6% bonus damage on cutting attacks.

And that's all ignoring that every monster has different physical and elemental resists for each body part. That parts not so bad, it's the ridiculous hidden multipliers on everything.

You're forgetting one more step, after the universal weapon type multiplier theres another multiplier based on which attack animation you use which is usually something like .20-.40. This isn't applied to elemental damage. So that longsword's damage goes from 220/25 to 60/25. Then there's the multiplier that's applied based on where you hit the monster that you mentioned, so maybe your cutting damage is multiplied by .40 and you fire damage is multiplied by .60, which brings you to 24 + 15 damage.

Calculating the damage you're going to be doing is such a pain in the rear end I wouldn't bother unless you're going full sperg. The main things to take into account are which of the monster's body parts are weakest and what elements it is weak to.

Since elemental damage has one fewer multipliers it's better on weapons that do more fast, weak hits like the Sword and Shield or Longsword, while physical damage is more important for slow weapons like the Greatsword or Hammer. As for comparing weapons of one type to weapons of another, unless you want to open excel just assume that a tier 7 longsword made from Rathalos parts is about as good as a tier 7 lance made from Rathalos parts.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
In XCOM: Enemy Within's classic difficulty, you will probably find yourself restarting a fair few times. It's hard.

The problem is that a few of the scripted Council missions have you rescuing a 'VIP', and you get the same unskippable prodding and poking toward the objective every time along with the game seizing control of the camera to repeatedly show you the VIP, very annoying when you're trying to survive a Thin Man assault.

'Looks like there's a survivor over there' <shows VIP>
'There are still life signs in the area, commander' <shows VIP again>
'You're going to need to talk to that survivor if we're going to learn anything here' <shows VIP again>
'Looks like there's a survivor over there'

Yes God drat it Central I know I loving know alright

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I swear I can feel my left stick loosening up as I play Metal Gear Rising.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

My Lovely Horse posted:

I swear I can feel my left stick loosening up as I play Metal Gear Rising.

Can't say I've had a problem with my sticks getting looser because of MGR but my pants get a bit tighter when I turn it on

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Can't say I've had a problem with my sticks getting looser because of MGR but my pants get a bit tighter when I turn it on

Words cannot describe the invigorating climax that follows slicing a Metal Gear Ray from head to tail.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Alteisen posted:

FF14 is insanely popular so probably not.

Also this, wasting 4 hours to non stop wipes due to retards is not my idea of fun.

Yeah, that's the problem. I don't mind actually having to put in 4 hours to get the items I need for the next few months. That's a good investment of my time. The problem is when I strictly create a party of experienced players and somehow we end up with some loving random rear end in a top hat who tried to sneak in without a clear to be carried, wipes us all repeatedly and then rage quits.

Some rear end in a top hat last night called me an "mlg wannabe human being" because I told him to watch a loving guide on the super simple mechanics. I finally uninstalled this poo poo.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
I like LOTR: The Third Age's loot progression system, where, in general, as the game goes on, you get older and older gear until by the end your party is dressed in full Second Age war gear containing half the mithril available to the Free Peoples. I don't get the ultimate sword for Berethor, though. First Age Sword of the Valar? What Valar used a sword? And why would one fall out of their hands?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I have to say, I like Metal Gear Rising less the more I read goons talking about it.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Austrian mook posted:

I have to say, I like Metal Gear Rising less the more I read goons talking about it.

I watched Chip Cheezum's LP, and maybe I'm just a cynical goony goon but after a while the sheer unrelenting over-the-topness got tiresome. Maybe it's a "you don't know if you haven't played it" situation.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Austrian mook posted:

Senator Armstrong might've been mildly entertaining if the entire internet hadn't ruined him for me by the time I got to play the game.

(gameplay's still fun though)

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I watched Chip Cheezum's LP, and maybe I'm just a cynical goony goon but after a while the sheer unrelenting over-the-topness got tiresome. Maybe it's a "you don't know if you haven't played it" situation.

I really enjoyed the game, its just that lots of dumb people have latched onto it and repeated good lines and fun moments over and over again. The Portal effect, as its known.

E: I went into the game nearly blind and had a blast but its harder and harder for me to go back.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008
State of Decay is an amazing and cheap zombie game. I feel like it's the best of the many, many different zombie survival games right now. However, 2 things bother the hell out of me. First, when you're on a mission, lets say picking up a survivor, you have to immediately head back to base to drop them off. Even if another survivor or mission is on the way or can be accomplished at the same time. Nope. Drop the dude off, turn around and head straight back to where you just where five minutes ago. Second complaint: loving ferals. Easy kill by firearm at a distance, but they have this adorable habit of spawning about 5 feet away from your character. Usually from behind. Has an insta-kill attack move, and is almost unkillable once they're on you. Unlike most games though, there's no saving or respawning of characters. So if a plot character dies, you're pretty hosed. Had to uninstall the game after I saved this plot important doctor, only to have him charge into a mob of zombies solo when I turned my back on him for 10 seconds to loot a warehouse. gently caress me game, I'm sorry the AI is bloody suicidal, that's your fault not mine. Otherwise, it's an amazing game.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Kaincypher posted:

State of Decay is an amazing and cheap zombie game. I feel like it's the best of the many, many different zombie survival games right now. However, 2 things bother the hell out of me. First, when you're on a mission, lets say picking up a survivor, you have to immediately head back to base to drop them off. Even if another survivor or mission is on the way or can be accomplished at the same time. Nope. Drop the dude off, turn around and head straight back to where you just where five minutes ago. Second complaint: loving ferals. Easy kill by firearm at a distance, but they have this adorable habit of spawning about 5 feet away from your character. Usually from behind. Has an insta-kill attack move, and is almost unkillable once they're on you. Unlike most games though, there's no saving or respawning of characters. So if a plot character dies, you're pretty hosed. Had to uninstall the game after I saved this plot important doctor, only to have him charge into a mob of zombies solo when I turned my back on him for 10 seconds to loot a warehouse. gently caress me game, I'm sorry the AI is bloody suicidal, that's your fault not mine. Otherwise, it's an amazing game.

Depending on which system you're playing on, there's an invaluable mod for the PC version called something akin to "skilled characters stay home", which applies to all plot characters since they all have some kind of special skill. They won't step foot out of your base unless you take control of them.

My thing dragging the game down is that even on a pretty beefy gaming rig you have to tweak a bunch of settings to reduce stutter, and even then you still get some occasionally. And their shadows are just godawful to the point of being distracting. Before I learned how to disable them completely I would avoid wooded areas entirely because the shadows from the tree leaves were so annoying.

Also, the Breakdown DLC is kind of pointless. All it does is turn off the story, but you still go through the same motions that you do when playing story mode. So really it's just a $7 toggle to turn off exposition.

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
I finally got a new AV cord for my Sega Genesis, and man. I forgot how hard some of these games are.

Comix Zone: You have to punch some blocks to progress. Punching them actually hurts you and you only get maybe one healing item per page.

Road Rash 3: Can't pay the repo man? No problem, all you have to do is knock someone off their bike. Who? P.E. No. 1. The guy at the head of the pack. Good luck!

Sonic Spin ball. Just everything after the first level.

Also the shock of going from Ground Zeroes to that, while still on my flat screen.

Still a ton of fun though. I caught myself giggling like a schoolgirl when I cracked Bolo's head open in Road Rash. :v:

LumpyGumby has a new favorite as of 21:11 on Jan 17, 2015

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Esroc posted:

Also, the Breakdown DLC is kind of pointless. All it does is turn off the story, but you still go through the same motions that you do when playing story mode. So really it's just a $7 toggle to turn off exposition.

It's pretty good if you ignore the story mode because the story mode is garbage.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Lord Lambeth posted:

It's pretty good if you ignore the story mode because the story mode is garbage.

Well, yeah. But it's kind of silly that Breakdown is the devs asking for seven bucks to let you play through the same missions the story provides, just without a story. You're essentially dropping cash just to make NPC's stop talking to you.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Esroc posted:

Depending on which system you're playing on, there's an invaluable mod for the PC version called something akin to "skilled characters stay home", which applies to all plot characters since they all have some kind of special skill. They won't step foot out of your base unless you take control of them.

My thing dragging the game down is that even on a pretty beefy gaming rig you have to tweak a bunch of settings to reduce stutter, and even then you still get some occasionally. And their shadows are just godawful to the point of being distracting. Before I learned how to disable them completely I would avoid wooded areas entirely because the shadows from the tree leaves were so annoying.

The Breakdown DLC is awesome because each time you reset the map it gets harder. Considering the base game is easy as hell once you know what you're doing, this is a good thing.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Piell posted:

The Breakdown DLC is awesome because each time you reset the map it gets harder. Considering the base game is easy as hell once you know what you're doing, this is a good thing.

Yeah, Breakdown is really fun, but it's basically "survival mode" for the game, which isn't for everybody. Lifeline is pretty good, as far as adding new content.

Thing dragging down State of Decay: Breakdown for me: a lot of the unique characters from the base game that show up in Breakdown don't use the original voices, and it's annoying hearing the same set of voice clips for half of my survivors.

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 03:29 on Jan 18, 2015

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Ground Zeroes doesn't want to play nice with my dualshock4 and I bought the drat thing for couch based sneaking missions. If anyone else has solved this I'd really appreciate the tip.\

E: this is on PC if that wasn't clear

Chard has a new favorite as of 03:30 on Jan 18, 2015

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Chard posted:

Ground Zeroes doesn't want to play nice with my dualshock4 and I bought the drat thing for couch based sneaking missions. If anyone else has solved this I'd really appreciate the tip.\

E: this is on PC if that wasn't clear

Go ask in the PS4 thread in games. People go there all the time for help with ds4 to pc issues.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Good idea, will do.

oneof3steves
Oct 25, 2007

Sgulp

Austrian mook posted:

I really enjoyed the game, its just that lots of dumb people have latched onto it and repeated good lines and fun moments over and over again. The Portal effect, as its known.

E: I went into the game nearly blind and had a blast but its harder and harder for me to go back.

That kind of thing always feels weird to me... it's like the people who love and support a band until they become popular and then because they are successful and on the radio and 15 year olds like them they suddenly stop liking them. It seems like it should be a matter of do you like it or not, rather than "Who else likes it?"
I guess that's the backside of the "I am defined by what I like/consume" thing that the internet promotes. If what you like defines you then if people you don't want to be associated with enjoy the same thing as you it makes it harder for you to continue to enjoy it.
Either way I haven't managed to get into the game, but other people liking it seems to be a dumb reason to change your mind about it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

oneof3steves posted:

That kind of thing always feels weird to me... it's like the people who love and support a band until they become popular and then because they are successful and on the radio and 15 year olds like them they suddenly stop liking them. It seems like it should be a matter of do you like it or not, rather than "Who else likes it?"
I guess that's the backside of the "I am defined by what I like/consume" thing that the internet promotes. If what you like defines you then if people you don't want to be associated with enjoy the same thing as you it makes it harder for you to continue to enjoy it.
Either way I haven't managed to get into the game, but other people liking it seems to be a dumb reason to change your mind about it.

That's not the same thing at all. Have you never heard something funny, then gotten sick of it because a bunch of people kept repeating the punchline? It's not about other people liking it, it's about other people ruining it by repeating the good bits so frequently that you can't stand them any more.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

oneof3steves posted:

Rising wasn't successful though, it's not like it got popular or anything. I'm just tired of reading people repeat the game's best moments and quote Armstrong or the games soundtrack to the point where I groan at the games best lines and jokes now. "The cake is a lie!!!!!!!!!!"

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

oneof3steves posted:

If other people are really obnoxious about something it can make it harder to enjoy whether you're really into it or not, because when you see it you're subconsciously reminded of those people and how annoying or weird they are. For example I really liked mass effect 2 when it first came out, enough to get a dumb screen name related to it. Then I looked around to see what other people thought of it, and holy poo poo there's a lot of creeps that are really weird about that series' characters, and it's a lot harder for me to enjoy the series for its characters now that I know somebody out their is masturbating over them.

It's similar to how some memes can be funny when you first see them and then the internet without fail collectively makes sure you'll hate them by the end of the year. Every single one.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
People :regd08:ing a product you like is a valid complaint.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gestalt Intellect posted:

If other people are really obnoxious about something it can make it harder to enjoy whether you're really into it or not, because when you see it you're subconsciously reminded of those people and how annoying or weird they are. For example I really liked mass effect 2 when it first came out, enough to get a dumb screen name related to it. Then I looked around to see what other people thought of it, and holy poo poo there's a lot of creeps that are really weird about that series' characters, and it's a lot harder for me to enjoy the series for its characters now that I know somebody out their is masturbating over them.

It's similar to how some memes can be funny when you first see them and then the internet without fail collectively makes sure you'll hate them by the end of the year. Every single one.

I don't know what your talking about, Mass Effect fans seem pretty chill and generally non spergy.
http://forum.bioware.com/topic/228736-talis-sweat/

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The controls in Dishonored are really hard to get used to. I keep shooting people when I mean to strangle them or stabbing them when I mean to block. Having three separate attack buttons, one of which is sometimes a defend button, is just hard to wrap my head around. And it was even worse before I switched the right and left mouse buttons. I noticed Skyrim has the same weird backwards controls by default too. How is that supposed to be a good idea? Left-click to use your right hand and right-click to use your left hand? Sure, that sounds intuitive.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Left click to do the action you'll be doing more often than right click--which is far more context sensitive--makes perfect sense actually.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
One of the very first things I did in Dishonored was swap the left and right mouse buttons.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Shadow of Mordor is a really great game, but the fact that you can't skip the company logos at the beginning of the game is really annoying. Sure, it's only a couple extra seconds of my time, but after seeing them for the 40th time they get really old.

It also defaults as Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor on my steam library, and the lower case e at the beginning of Earth really bugs me.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

moosecow333 posted:

Shadow of Mordor is a really great game, but the fact that you can't skip the company logos at the beginning of the game is really annoying. Sure, it's only a couple extra seconds of my time, but after seeing them for the 40th time they get really old.

It also defaults as Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor on my steam library, and the lower case e at the beginning of Earth really bugs me.

This happens with loads of games, but I always found it the worst with Firaxis games. I love the work you put into everything guys, really I do, but... well, I'm gonna be starting up your games a lot, they already take a hell of a long time to boot, and you're not actually masking any of that loading with the company logos.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

moosecow333 posted:

I don't know if it skips them all (I don't have the game) but you should remember this site anyways.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Austrian mook posted:

I've played MGR so much the playtime counter has glitched and refuses
to move forward

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Personal recommendation for Dishonored: map block/choke to middle mouse or whatever other extra mouse buttons you have lying around.

I initially attempted to flip left and right so they fit the viewmodels but it also changes which button throws a held item and I decided that was more of a hassle than getting used to Corvo's hosed up reverse hands. They should've just made him left handed for the PC version the way Nintendo mirrored that one zelda game when they made a motion control version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Tiggum posted:

The controls in Dishonored are really hard to get used to. I keep shooting people when I mean to strangle them or stabbing them when I mean to block. Having three separate attack buttons, one of which is sometimes a defend button, is just hard to wrap my head around. And it was even worse before I switched the right and left mouse buttons. I noticed Skyrim has the same weird backwards controls by default too. How is that supposed to be a good idea? Left-click to use your right hand and right-click to use your left hand? Sure, that sounds intuitive.

It's not intuitive until you remember that left click is usually the "main" button people use most often and your right hand is also your main hand in these games. It's a little murkier since there's dual-wielding stuff in both, but I'm pretty sure that's the thought process there.

This is probably one of those times when it would be simplest to just get a controller, because the controls make a hell of a lot more sense with one.