Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Jack Gladney posted:

I thought that was kind of an interesting touch in how it makes the Fringe team look a little lovely in their casual disregard of all the people who die on the show.

While you are right, have you ever interacted with someone who is around death a lot? Like EMT's or hospice nurses or something. They just get callous and indifferent - which is not meant as a jab against them, they have to to stay sane. I had a roommated who worked at a hospice and he made really, really dark jokes about death, but the thing is that he didn't even really see them as dark because that was his every day life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Taffer posted:

While you are right, have you ever interacted with someone who is around death a lot? Like EMT's or hospice nurses or something. They just get callous and indifferent - which is not meant as a jab against them, they have to to stay sane. I had a roommated who worked at a hospice and he made really, really dark jokes about death, but the thing is that he didn't even really see them as dark because that was his every day life.

Yeah they mention this in Homicide life on the killing street. They all have gallows humor since its the only way to survive.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

And of course in the very next episode Peter chews out Walter for caring more about the existence of the (very bad CGI) parasite than the fact that it's killing the FBI agent.

And the corpse of the dead woman in The Cure might be one of the most gruesome props ever used on the show, having just a bit of her lower jaw still attached with a couple of teeth was far more disturbing than a neatly decapitated head.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
One of my favourite shows. I think I'll watch along.

"You're favourite thing Peter, my very favourite thing". That chokes me up every time I think if it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Hope no-one minds me taking over this, (though if Hard Clumping wants to reassert control, please go ahead :) )

This week's episode In Which We Meet Mr Jones was brought to you by:

Germany!

Piranha Plants! Heart Hugs!

This guy!

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Even though ZFT fizzled out, Jones was absolutely my favorite villain character in the show. I wish his real goal had ended up being something more.... Substantial.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Hello, Not David Bowie.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Taffer posted:

Even though ZFT fizzled out, Jones was absolutely my favorite villain character in the show. I wish his real goal had ended up being something more.... Substantial.

Walternate was the best villain. Sure he was redeemed/softened towards the end, but he was willing to burn an entire universe to save his, and potentially sacrifice his grandson (who he had already performed crazy science on) to do it.

In Which We Meet Mr. Jones is a fun episode, aside from the incredibly dodgy CG they used for the parasite. The FBI guy dosing himself with a killer parasite in order to let his wife overhear the special information is a bit of crazy overly elaborate planning that could've gone sideways in a hurry. Also, anytime Walter communes with the dead is a good time. The Notorious DRJ suitably Lector'ish. One thing I'm not quite sure about though is was Olivia's buddy German or American?

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 16, 2015

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

American diplomat I think

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
I've got a bunch of bull poo poo irl excuses that no one cares about, so rather than do that I'll just say sorry I've been absent from the thread y'all

Open Source Idiom, you've been rad as hell in this thread and since I never considered myself to be "controlling" anything, I'm cool with whatever as long as the watchthrough continues. My motto is Just Fuckin' Post About Fringe

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
That's a lie. He's a liberal arts white who's too busy Ingesting Content and Analyzing Tropes As Applied To Historical And Current Cultural Modes to alt-tab his downloaded .mkvs to screencap a Fridge episode.*

*He's busy and a cool dude. He just had a birthday!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

You two are versions of each other from a pair of linked universes, aren't you?

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

We're gonna need to color code them

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

We're gonna need to color code them

I call dibs on the retro version!!

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I met the guy who plays the FBI agent. I served him a doppio at starbuck and went it something like this "Doppio for Chanceholyshityourechancekelly".

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Are we going to do the one with evil Britta this week? I can't do screen caps right now or else I would. I mostly have a lot of jokes about how that degree in psychology really caused more problems than anybody expected, but also some stuff about what exactly haunts Walter when he sees his put-together self in jail and how it's weird that Walter isn't going nuts about saving a son in danger and separated from his loving father--although I guess that might be tipping some cards early, especially when you consider how long they were going to wait to drop info on the other side and everything.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
...oh, Britta's in this one?

I completely blanked on this, but yes: The Equation.

Which I like, but I think it's a bit shallow. I don't think that Jacobs gives a very captivating performance as the villain of the week, and some of the stuff in at the mental hospital is a little contrived. But, on the other hand, the stuff with the kid and the music is creepy, and I like the idea of draining intellectuals for their skills.

I've a slight pet peeve with this episode is that it pales in contrast with Millennium's Room With No View, which has a very similar plot. (Both shows had Darin Morgan on staff too, so I wonder if the connection wasn't deliberate in some way?)

RWNV s a loving excellent episode of television, and I recommend anyone who likes Fringe to go track it down.

Jack Gladney posted:

Are we going to do the one with evil Britta this week? I can't do screen caps right now or else I would. I mostly have a lot of jokes about how that degree in psychology really caused more problems than anybody expected, but also some stuff about what exactly haunts Walter when he sees his put-together self in jail and how it's weird that Walter isn't going nuts about saving a son in danger and separated from his loving father--although I guess that might be tipping some cards early, especially when you consider how long they were going to wait to drop info on the other side and everything.

There's a few things in this episode which gave me pause, most notably the three-second shot of an Evil Walter figure at the hospital. Is this Walter thinking of Walternate, or just something else?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

...oh, Britta's in this one?

I completely blanked on this, but yes: The Equation.

Which I like, but I think it's a bit shallow. I don't think that Jacobs gives a very captivating performance as the villain of the week, and some of the stuff in at the mental hospital is a little contrived. But, on the other hand, the stuff with the kid and the music is creepy, and I like the idea of draining intellectuals for their skills.

I've a slight pet peeve with this episode is that it pales in contrast with Millennium's Room With No View, which has a very similar plot. (Both shows had Darin Morgan on staff too, so I wonder if the connection wasn't deliberate in some way?)

RWNV s a loving excellent episode of television, and I recommend anyone who likes Fringe to go track it down.

There's a few things in this episode which gave me pause, most notably the three-second shot of an Evil Walter figure at the hospital. Is this Walter thinking of Walternate, or just something else?

See, I think it's his earlier self, everything he ran away from by staying locked up and having Bell cut out pieces of his brain. The other Walter says "welcome back" like this was a usual thing for Walter, being haunted by his past misdeeds and the horrible guy he used to be. Getting out and doing good with Peter would be relief from the guilt and shame of his former life, which I guess was what kept him from ever trying to get out of St. Claire's. Getting back into that situation brings back all the bad feelings Walter had while he was locked up and powerless to do anything but dwell on how he wrecked up Walternate's life and drove Peter away and killed Elizabeth, just waiting for the other shoe to drop and Walternate to launch some crazy attack on his side.

I think we have to be careful citing evidence from later episodes this early into the run when they're still clearly seeing what works and what doesn't, but we know Walternate wasn't as smart or as arrogant as Walter was, and this Walter in the vision is having a blast loving with Walter--acting I guess like the old Walter would have if he got to take the high ground with somebody else. Also, he's like a more put-together version of Walter: the same cardigan and button-down shirt, just pressed and buttoned. Walternate's big break in figuring out who took Peter was that he would never be caught dead in a brown cardigan. There's no way to know, I guess.

And one other thing I always wondered about : was it the equation that had the power to destroy all those people, or was it all Britta? I ask because that kid was already way obsessed with the equation to an unhealthy degree. Like, he wasn't just noodling around with it, but fixated on it to the point of ignoring everything else. At the time, I thought the equation would have some kind of spooky power like the numbers from Lost, and I thought the one guy shot himself because he couldn't solve it and Britta was just swooping in to stall the process long enough to get the numbers out of them before they popped. That they just go into some portal generator is pretty loving lame, especially considering that it's probably easy as poo poo to just rob the bank and break open some safety deposit boxes while you're in there. Hell, just impersonate the janitors.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
Children are ugly as hell y'all

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Is this thread going to cover Unearthed? It's pretty much out of canon but I remember when the show was airing they wedged it into season 2 somewhere, even though it was in the season 1 continuity.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I'm watching my Blu-Rays of the show, so whenever that episode shows up I'll watch it then.

Regarding The Equation, while I do think having Walter revisit St. Claire's now is maybe too early in the show's run, having William Sadler show up is always enjoyable. Noble also killed it, which is obviously a given.

Peter saying "It's Middle English for innkeeper" was the most :smug: thing imaginable.

I thought all the wounds on the vision of the dead mother was a nice touch, and then they started to open up when Britta was intimidating the kid :stonk:

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 23, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

howe_sam posted:

I'm watching my Blu-Rays of the show, so whenever that episode shows up I'll watch it then.

Regarding [bThe Equation[/bThe], while I do think having Walter revisit St. Claire's now is maybe too early in the show's run, having William Sadler show up is always enjoyable. Noble also killed it, which is obviously a given.

Peter saying "It's Middle English for innkeeper" was the most :smug: thing imaginable.

I thought all the wounds on the vision of the dead mother was a nice touch, and then they started to open up when Britta was intimidating the kid :stonk:

If its like my Blu-rays set its on season 2 as a special feature.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

sticklefifer posted:

Is this thread going to cover Unearthed? It's pretty much out of canon but I remember when the show was airing they wedged it into season 2 somewhere, even though it was in the season 1 continuity.

Unearthed shows up on Netflix as the last episode of season 1, which is really jarring for newcomers. I have a friend who recently watched the show for the first time and luckily I remembered to warn him, he went back and watched it after he was done and told me "yeah that would have been really awful."

Unearthed's only real use is for when you're *really* fiending for some more Fringe. The episode's just not that great; the main guest actress was woefully inadequate for the role asked of her, and the frustratingly convoluted plot is up there with the worst of Season 1.

However, yet again, who else but John Noble does a lot to save it. He has a short but interesting rant on religion in this episode that I originally thought was retconned later, but then I realized that to Walter, organized religion and God are two entirely different subjects.

Hard Clumping fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 24, 2015

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I was thinking that we'd watch it during Season 2 , when it originally aired, to get the proper experience of this being a "rewatch". That's certainly how I'm intending to show it to my friends, since I'm interested in seeing their opinions about that episode order.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Episode Nine: The Dreamscape

I quite like this episode, and I reckon that it's probably the best standalone we get this season. The script remembers that John Scott and Charlie Francis exist, has some great set-pieces, and the entire thing is well paced, and shot nicely.* This is also a pretty good showcase for Anna Torv (and by extension Olivia) -- I'm particularly fond of that final confrontation with Nina Sharp, but the scene with the tank is pretty good too.

*Frederick Toye is one of those TV directors that never gets enough love, but his episodes (he's a New York based director who regularly works for Person Of Interest, The Good Wife, and directed a lot of first season Fringe) tend to be pretty great looking. He really knows how to pace drama, and how to pick his shots and edits. This episode's cold open is a good example of what I mean, even if it pales in comparison to Watchmen. Dude's solid.

The only thing that really drags, for me, is the Peter subplot where he hangs out with his ex-girlfriend. Does anyone particularly care for this arc? I remember that it's basically irrelevant, and doesn't really inform his character all that much.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I'm well ahead of the thread for the rewatch, but i would invent a time machine to make a fringe prequel starring young john nobel and young leonard nemoy.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

gently caress RIP Belly.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/27/arts/television/leonard-nimoy-spock-of-star-trek-dies-at-83.html

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck :smith:

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
So I'm in a re-watch binge and I'm coming up towards season 3. One thing that never made sense to me was, if they knew the other side was planning against them, why the hell didn't they fix and use Walter's window to the alternate universe? I mean gently caress, put that poo poo in front of a TV and you'd figure out who Walternate was and again, move the window to where his office is and BAM! Would it just make for an anti-climactic plot or did I miss something as to why they never use it? They use it in season 5 but what the poo poo FRINGE?

Also, I'm starting to think that some of the science in this show isn't all that plausible. :tinfoil:

It is sad about Belly but someone's got to have soul magnets somewhere, right?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

After Walter crossed the first time it quit working. I guess that was part of the damage he did to the two universes in going from one to the other. Otherwise he would have probably tried to look in on Walternate from time to time instead of just sitting there terrified at the idea that Walternate was probably coming for him.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Jack Gladney posted:

After Walter crossed the first time it quit working. I guess that was part of the damage he did to the two universes in going from one to the other. Otherwise he would have probably tried to look in on Walternate from time to time instead of just sitting there terrified at the idea that Walternate was probably coming for him.

I was about to ask then how did they use it in season 5 but then I realized the machine had fixed the two universes so :science:. As the tread title says "As suspected... it's airtight".

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
It is a shame this thread (and the re-watch) fizzled out so long ago! I just finished a marathon watching of Fringe over the last few months and I grew to absolutely love it and the characters. I think that Fringe must be a show that is improved by binge watching vs. seeing it on a week-by-week basis, the Monster of the Week episodes never really bothered me since I was able to enjoy both John Noble and the odd bit of mythology they dropped.

In fact, I'm glad that I was finally able to see Fringe at this point in my life than before during its original air date. I became a father two years ago, and everything Walter did struck a cord for me - I could absolutely see myself in his shoes, and I think it gave me a little more sympathy for his plight. Anyways, I am sorry to bump a thread that is so many month's dead, but I particularly enjoyed this show and I have no one else to gush about it with!

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I'm re-watching Stargate Atlantis and this would probably be the perfect show to go through after I'm finished

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I just finished s3 tonight for the first time. S3 was drat good, overall.

edit: the monster of the week stuff gets alot more palpable after the mid s2 reveals because now at least you have an idea of where the show is actually going so watching them solve an unrelated case can be interesting to see some good character dynamics.

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jun 11, 2015

• Locked thread