Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Season 2 Premiers tonight, January 14th, at 10:30pm EST

Broad City is about two 20-something girls hanging out in New York. That's pretty much it. The first season is already out and you can watch all 10 episodes on Amazon/GooglePlay/itunes. You can also watch the original shorts on Youtube. Not sure how it compares to the show though.

Here's a Grantland profile that Y-Hat posted. It gives a lot of background on the show's development and Ilana and Abbi themselves.

Characters:

Ilana Wexler
(Ilana Glazer)

Marijuana enthusiast. Slacker. Oblivious to almost anything that isn't Abbi.

Abbi Abrams
(Abbi Jacobson)

She's a cleaner in a gym even though she wants to be a trainer. Dreams of being an artist. Trying to balance being an adult and having fun.

Lincoln Rice
(Hannibal Buress)

Dentist who is Abbi's and Ilana's friend. In a sexual relationship with Ilana and wants to take things to the next level even though she's unreceptive.

Other characters:

John Gemberling as Matt Bevers – Abbi's roommate's boyfriend who seems to never leave. He is a messy, disgusting freeloader, and in general a constant nuisance to Abbi. In spite of this, he has shown on a couple of occasions to have a sweet, sensitive side.

Stephen Schneider as Jeremy Santos - Abbi's neighbour from across the hall and secret crush; he is mainly portrayed as a polite and easy going guy, usually seen in passing. He appears to like Abbi but merely as a good friend and neighbour.

Arturo Castro as Jaimé – Ilana's drug dealing gay roommate. Jaimé is an illegal immigrant from Venezuela. He does Ilana's taxes. Jaimé exhibits extreme guilt over what he perceives as wrongs he has committed against his friends, however they are usually minor transgressions.

Paul W. Downs as Trey – Abbi's boss at Soulstice. He is a hardcore health and fitness enthusiast. Although he is fundamentally a nice guy, he is humorously oblivious to Abbi's desire to be a trainer and is constantly badgering her to clean various things around the gym (mostly pubes). Paul is also a writer on Broad City, having written "Working Girls" (episode 1.3).

Chris Gethard as Todd – Ilana's boss at the web "deal" company. He is frustrated by Ilana's lack of commitment to her job but has yet to reprimand her in any way.

Gaunab fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

And it's already been picked up for a 3rd season. Can't wait.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
Broad City was easily my favorite show of 2014 and I'm so happy to have it back. Abbi and Ilana are great and Hannibal steals every scene he's in. I'd follow that man to the end of the earth. Eric Andre Show, Broad City, China IL, Lucas Bros. Moving Company, Chozen... OK, definitely not Chozen, but still.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

One of the funniest drat shows to appear in a long time is coming back and now I'm all :toot:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

CRINDY posted:

Broad City was easily my favorite show of 2014 and I'm so happy to have it back. Abbi and Ilana are great and Hannibal steals every scene he's in. I'd follow that man to the end of the earth. Eric Andre Show, Broad City, China IL, Lucas Bros. Moving Company, Chozen... OK, definitely not Chozen, but still.

Preach it. This show is fantastic, can't wait for the new episode.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
It's time.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Amazing Race Kumail is Amazing.

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound
That whole episode was incredible. I can't wait for the rest of this season.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
Zach Galifanakis looks like he's turned into a dude who's not actually Zach Galifanakis!

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
Yeah that was an excellent episode. Everything from the BB&B trip to Abbi's sex offender problems to Ilana pulling her own weed out of the wall was on point. So glad it's back and the knowledge that there are AT LEAST 19 episodes left is even better.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
I looked up the Colin Farrell sex tape and of course the times Ilana said were accurate.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

berserker posted:

Zach Galifanakis looks like he's turned into a dude who's not actually Zach Galifanakis!
Do you mean John Gemberling or Seth Rogan? Either way, great post.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
This show is glorious and i'm happy it's back.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

I'm so glad this show is back!

Can't wait for the return of Jaimé, I just want him to get his citizenship so bad :unsmith:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Every show needs a weed-smoking scene like that.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Y-Hat posted:

Every show needs a weed-smoking scene like that.

You mean a dressing room scene like that.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

flashy_mcflash posted:

You mean a dressing room scene like that.
All I'm saying is that I wouldn't be complaining if more shows were like Broad City.

Edit: This Grantland profile of Abbi and Ilana is perfect.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 16, 2015

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

I like this show but could do without the cameos.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Budget Dracula posted:

I like this show but could do without the cameos.

I feel you, but on the other hand Kumail Nanjiani is loving fantastic so it turns out I can't actually do without the cameos. I don't really want a "hey look, it's star of stage & screen Seth Rogen! everyone clap!" cameo-heavy show, but they generally do such excellent job with their choices that I just can't complain.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well, this show hasn't missed a beat. Loved the premiere, and the cinematography in the smoking scene was killer.

Howling Man
Mar 29, 2014
I loving love Broad City. I have dug all the cameos from bigger names so far. Seth Rogen was dope so I got no complaints.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

XboxPants posted:

I feel you, but on the other hand Kumail Nanjiani is loving fantastic so it turns out I can't actually do without the cameos. I don't really want a "hey look, it's star of stage & screen Seth Rogen! everyone clap!" cameo-heavy show, but they generally do such excellent job with their choices that I just can't complain.

I wouldn't mind it if Seth Rogan just turns into a temporary cast member this season, but if they shoved him in as a one-time Abbi fling just so they could go "HEY GUYS, SETH ROGAN FOR AN EPISODE!" then nah, could do without that. But then they've had other great one-off guests last season like Fred Armisen (which was one of the highlights of last season in my opinion).

Also I just recently learned that Creepy Locksmith was actually the guy who voiced Trevor in GTA V. Maybe the previous thread/comedy show megathread/whatever figured that out already, but it was news to me.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

King Vidiot posted:

Also I just recently learned that Creepy Locksmith was actually the guy who voiced Trevor in GTA V. Maybe the previous thread/comedy show megathread/whatever figured that out already, but it was news to me.

lmao that makes so much sense

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Could you not tell by looking at him, or hearing his voice? Steven Ogg is rad

Really good premiere. Show feels like it's been offseason forever, so I hope they keep the steam going through S2.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

I realized that as soon as I heard his voice.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Could you not tell by looking at him, or hearing his voice? Steven Ogg is rad

Really good premiere. Show feels like it's been offseason forever, so I hope they keep the steam going through S2.

No I don't pay attention to the voices of video games except Metal Gear

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Yeah I didn't catch it because I still haven't actually played GTA V, I've just seen some playthrough videos. And I don't even think I'd watched those playthroughs until after I'd seen that episode of Broad City.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I noticed it immediately when I binge watched S1 the past couple days, but probably because because I've been playing through GTA V again on PS4.

This show is rad. Wish I had caught up on it sooner.

hcreight fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 16, 2015

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
I do like the fact that Hannibal Buress's character is basically him doing his standup, but he's also a dentist.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Gaunab posted:

You can also watch the original shorts on Youtube. Not sure how it compares to the show though.

Anybody who hasn't seen the YouTube shorts should at least watch these two:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfErkHGPJrA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfzWRKkcWxA

Particularly the first one. Just my opinion!

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

I guess that explains why they aren't roommates.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A thought: did Abi actually finish after Stacey passed out? Ilana asks her and she looks super awkward but I can't tell if that's "she actually did it" or "she is cringing at Ilana's joke because she's still so awkward about the whole thing".

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Speaking of Creepy Locksmith, did anyone else catch Abbi & Ilana running into their past selves on the subway?

That whole scene reminded me of Louie in the best possible way.

Bown posted:

the cinematography in the smoking scene was killer.

word

This should probably be added to the OP. I've read a lot of intro pieces before the season started but none of them really get the feel of the show across like this. Also can't wait for the tree-loving scene.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 17, 2015

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Illinois Smith posted:

Speaking of Creepy Locksmith, did anyone else catch Abbi & Ilana running into their past selves on the subway?

I don't think Abbi and Ilana were ever that Asian :v:

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Bown posted:

A thought: did Abi actually finish after Stacey passed out? Ilana asks her and she looks super awkward but I can't tell if that's "she actually did it" or "she is cringing at Ilana's joke because she's still so awkward about the whole thing".

Think about what show this is. She most definitely did.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I liked that they had to keep referring to him as "Male Stacey" since Stacey is still a weird loving name for a guy even if it's technically supposed to be gender-neutral.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

Illinois Smith posted:

This should probably be added to the OP.

Done.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
This is probably my favorite comedy on TV atm which is saying a lot cause there are quite a few very funny shows running.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Show is great but hey too many episodes since a scene at Soulstice - the most on-point gym parody around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I've been reading great things about this show for months, and tried to get my wife to watch it with me for a while now. For whatever reasons, we tried the first episode twice, several months apart, and never made it past the first ten minutes before she decided she didn't like it.

Well, tonight, we tried it a third time, and it finally clicked for her, as I expected it probably would. We binge-watched the first eight episodes and both loved it. I'm sure we'll be all caught up by tomorrow -- better late than never.

• Locked thread