Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
With the influx of people investing because of Robinhood, would it be a good idea to start a Robinhood thread and some basic stock trading tips and and advice that reflect what you can do in Robinhood?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Captain Apollo posted:

With the influx of people investing because of Robinhood, would it be a good idea to start a Robinhood thread and some basic stock trading tips and and advice that reflect what you can do in Robinhood?

Yes

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Captain Apollo posted:

I dunno if you need a whole new thread, the traffic on this one isn't that intense.

Something new people should realize is that the commission isn't the only charge when buying/selling a stock, you get nailed by the spread as well. Especially on the more illiquid stocks some people have been talking up lately. So your EV will still be hurt by churning, even on Robinhood.

And short term vs long term cap gains.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

I wrote a fairly basic strategy on Quantopian that seemed to do well under some restrictions that I have. I went along with the strategy for 3 months or so, with 12% gains, and then decided to move on to more long term stuff. I went back and re-ran it for a laugh, without any modifications.

Total Returns
68.6%
Benchmark Returns
7.4%
Alpha
Beta
Sharpe
Volatility
Max Drawdown
9.6%

:sigh: You might wonder about slippage, but it's actually quite low frequency - it rebalances every 45 days.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Captain Apollo posted:

I'm not sure what special advice would apply to using Robinhood, other than 1) don't allow the $0 fees to make you a hyper active trader, 2) be wary that it's brand new. The people getting burned by market orders - you should never be doing market orders! Stop doing that! With any brokerage!

The Robinhood founders *supposedly* want to spread investing to the millennial generation, alas the app only no commission format may encourage compulsive checking of stock prices and hyper active trading, therefore turning off users to the market when they inevitably fail. Yes I understand the irony in stating that in the stock trading thread :)

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

How do you not do market orders, with Robinhood.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I don't have Robinhood but according to this review: http://www.mymoneyblog.com/robinhood-app-review.html

quote:

You can make market or limit orders.

So, check the docs or whatever to find out how to put in a limit order.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

is this the thread where i ask if betterment is a good idea? because if so, then...is betterment a good idea for a stock market novice? i'm looking to do something more with my emergency fund than keep it in an mma or cd. and like they say in the gambling threads, i'm willing to risk the money.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Abel Wingnut posted:

is this the thread where i ask if betterment is a good idea? because if so, then...is betterment a good idea for a stock market novice? i'm looking to do something more with my emergency fund than keep it in an mma or cd. and like they say in the gambling threads, i'm willing to risk the money.

I don't think you understand "emergency fund" very well...

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i should have said i'm willing to take on a bit more risk for higher potential returns. i'm not looking to put all of my emergency fund into a single stock and let it fly.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
:psyduck:

B-but the point of an emergency fund is to have just plain liquid cash sitting there in case of an emergency. You're not supposed to chase returns with an emergency fund.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Abel Wingnut posted:

i should have said i'm willing to take on a bit more risk for higher potential returns. i'm not looking to put all of my emergency fund into a single stock and let it fly.

I stand by what I said. Keep your emergency fund in guaranteed instruments and use some other money for your risky investments.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Abel Wingnut posted:

Betterment argues that you can just use stocks and bonds in the right mix, which is a somewhat dubious argument.

In my opinion a real emergency fund should be liquid assets like a CD, the main point of betterments argument is that low yield/cash is bad since the ~2% inflation rate will eat away the real value of the fund.

The way I do things is:
-Safe money fund in CDs
-Lower risk taxable account with a bond/"safer" investments like TIPS tilt
-Higher risk stock account for slush fund type investments/long term growth

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

etalian posted:

Betterment argues that you can just use stocks and bonds in the right mix, which is a somewhat dubious argument.

Oh, yeah, that thing. It's more or less a gimmick, it's predicated on some dubious assumptions about what the markets will do, and it puts all your money at risk when you could be taking advantage of FDIC insurance etc. There's no reason you can't do something very similar while keeping a cash emergency fund.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

etalian posted:

-Safe money fund in CDs
-Lower risk taxable account with a bond/"safer" investments like TIPS tilt
-Higher risk stock account for slush fund type investments/long term growth

CD's usually have penalties for cashing them early, which seems like a bad thing to have in your emergency fund.

Also, if you want to have bonds in your portfolio they should be prioritized into deferred-tax investment accounts (Traditional IRA/401k). This is because bond interest is taxed more than stock dividends and gains (hence non-taxable account), and the expected growth of the bond fund over a long period of time is much lower than a stock fund over a long period of time (so use a traditional IRA instead of a roth IRA).

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
The current topic is amazing, but "i'm looking to do something more with my emergency fund" is pretty good too.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

nebby posted:

The current topic is amazing, but "i'm looking to do something more with my emergency fund" is pretty good too.

Hahaha! I'll try to remember this for when the current one gets old.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008

a cop posted:

How do you not do market orders, with Robinhood.

Tap where it says market on the buy/sell page. Should toggle to limit and let you key in a value.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

slap me silly posted:

Oh, yeah, that thing. It's more or less a gimmick, it's predicated on some dubious assumptions about what the markets will do, and it puts all your money at risk when you could be taking advantage of FDIC insurance etc. There's no reason you can't do something very similar while keeping a cash emergency fund.

Most of the reason for the strategy was based on the whole "It behaved this way in the past" argument.

One of the fundamental truths of investing, is past performance is often not good indicator of future performance

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

But my Ponzi scheme keeps paying out, why would it ever stop?

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Droo posted:

CD's usually have penalties for cashing them early, which seems like a bad thing to have in your emergency fund.

Its usually just 3 months interest which really isn't that bad, and certainly better than letting sit in the bank.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

etalian posted:

I'll be the one to word this more strongly.

Betterment argues that you can just use stocks and bonds in the right mix, which is loving retarded on every level.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The gist of Betterment's argument is cash/CDs are bad since it can't keep up with 2% inflation.

Therefore you go with 60/40 stock bond split and make the emergency fund at least 30% bigger than it needs to be(The worst case drop during the 2009 recession).

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'
I would like a Robinhood referral please.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
What currency should I short with my emergency fund? I really want to buy a gold plated panic room.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I'm really nervous about what will happen to the Euro tomorrow. I hope that QE is already priced in.

edit: Thursday, not tomorrow.

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 19, 2015

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'
Don't forget, big Greek vote just like 2 days after that poo poo too, to boot. Greece will probably leave in a few months and there will be social unrest in all of Europe later, maybe Oct.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

This should be an exciting week. Some good tech earnings reports coming out this week that should prove volatile in addition to the upcoming Euro volatility; tomorrow we have CREE, IBM and NFLX, Wednesday is EBAY and SNDK and Thursday is SWKS. Personally I'm long volatility on NFLX via a 337.5 straddle that I picked up on Friday.

e: am also long volatility on COH with a straddle at 36. Picked it up near the close on Friday for 1.42, indicating the markets had about a 4% move priced in. This was interesting to me because Coach is typically a volatile stock come earnings day, not seeing movements of less than 4% often. They recently spent a half a bil on a shoe company which surprised some analysts, which indicates to me that COH could surprise again and see its characteristic volatility on earnings day beyond the ~4% valuation.

hot cocoa on the couch fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 19, 2015

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Considering buying TVIX for the next few days. Someone tell me how this could fail.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
:stare:CSIQ

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

melon cat fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 16, 2019

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Yep...

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
loving lol at CSIQ, glad I didn't double down when it hit 21.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Gorman Thomas posted:

loving lol at CSIQ, glad I didn't double down when it hit 21.

It's never to late to btfd! :downs:

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
SPWR, SUNE, VSLR and obv TAN are also getting slammed, I thought solar had started to decouple from oil...

treerat
Oct 4, 2005
up here so high i start to shake up here so high the sky i scrape
I just btfd and doubled down on CSIQ :smug:

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
picked up some CSIQ Jul calls.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I remember the solar stock holocaust of 2012. I made a few K from that dip, and I won't buy again until the sector dips quite a bit lower.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

So great candidate to double my emergency fund? :smug: