Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

sfwarlock posted:

One of the higher techs came in and found his laptop - which had been running Linux - reinstalled with Windows 8. I hear thirdhand that in the ensuing polite, genteel, and quiet conversation, it was mentioned to him that: it was not 'his' laptop, but the company's; any data lost should have been backed up anyway, because hard drives fail; and if we had any procedures which were cobbled together using "non industry-standard tools", we needed to discard those and use the "industry standard".

Something along the lines of if he sees a car mechanic using a stick and a heavy rock to change a tire, he's going to hand said mechanic a tire iron instead, and if the mechanic doesn't know how to use the standard tool, then he's an incompetent mechanic.

The tech then mentioned that perhaps he wasn't the incompetent person in the room, to which he was invited to depart the premises immediately and permanently.

New manager is also marking his territory. It's like prison here...take out the first guy to give you lip so everyone else falls in line!

(This is hosed up)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Extremely hosed up. There has to be someone above him you can talk to?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
poo poo pissing me off this morning: CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Manslaughter posted:

Extremely hosed up. There has to be someone above him you can talk to?

The problem with talking to his boss, is his boss probably made the hire and I've learned people don't like to deal with the fact they might have made a bad hiring decision.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

skipdogg posted:

The problem with talking to his boss, is his boss probably made the hire and I've learned people don't like to deal with the fact they might have made a bad hiring decision.

Somehow I have faith that his boss's boss is still human enough to take it seriously if an anonymous compliant was made saying "he fired X on the spot because X got angry that he formatted his laptop without any notification".

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

ratbert90 posted:

Run out of bullets?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

spog posted:

Run out of bullets?

My ZIP drive ate another ZIP disk! :smith:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

Winning or losing at Russian roulette?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

Winning or losing at Russian roulette?

Losing apparently.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

stubblyhead posted:

Sounds like this question has been answered.

Does getting a management position at another company count?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

ratbert90 posted:

Holy poo poo, right as I started to read this someone started to type on the typewriter that is used once a month or so. I almost cracked up laughing. The timing was so perfect.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

sfwarlock posted:

The tech then mentioned that perhaps he wasn't the incompetent person in the room, to which he was invited to depart the premises immediately and permanently.

Shots fired

TWBalls posted:

Today was rather... interesting, to say the least. We've been having some construction going on and apparently when one of the workers was loving with some of the lights up at the front of the hospital (not sure why, they seemed to be working fine) one of the bulbs exploded and caused a small fire.

Not quite on par with yours, but this morning we had some builders in who came to tear down a glass wall... except NOBODY was informed this was taking place so our health & safety crew flipped their poo poo because people are working in that space, great start to the day when staff are asking where to sit and where to move their equipment because their room has been hazard taped off.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Super Slash posted:

Not quite on par with yours, but this morning we had some builders in who came to tear down a glass wall... except NOBODY was informed this was taking place so our health & safety crew flipped their poo poo because people are working in that space, great start to the day when staff are asking where to sit and where to move their equipment because their room has been hazard taped off.

Before that had happened, I over heard some folks talking about the construction crew while I was working on someones system. Apparently, they've had a month to show permits to one of the higher ups so they can sign off on giving the go ahead to shut down some of the operating rooms and begin construction. They haven't yet done this and that particular higher up (not sure who it was, as I was busy working) was NOT happy.

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.

sfwarlock posted:

Not the only one crushing on this person at the moment obviously, but I wish he'd done his protesting in the form of an e-mail discussing lost productivity, customer data, and professionalism shown or the lack thereof. With a light 51%helpful/49%condescending tone doing a play-by-play of where to do better in the future when managing professionals in the workplace and copying in bosses and teams, it may have been a lot more effective at making GBS threads all over the latest worst-manager-in-thread in the long run.

GreenLight
Apr 5, 2014

Can I keep his head for a souvenir ?
Cleaning the loving scanner from oil blobs to scan my stack of documents as a whole. Needing 10 mins to figure out what was wrong with it.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

skipdogg posted:

The new manager clearly wants to put his stamp on things and get people on board with his program. It's going to be a get with the new program our get the hell out type of situation. I don't necessarily agree with this kind of management style, but sometimes cleaning out the folks that aren't going to get with the program early can be better in the long run (from a manager point of view).

We've run into it before. The original company I worked for was acquired several years ago and we folded into a larger organization, and we've acquired other companies afterwards. Each time we've had to adapt and change the way we do things. There's always a couple of people that will just not adapt to the reality of the new situation, and sometime it has hurt to let them go, but it's better in the long run.

Looking at your post history in this thread, it's pretty clear this guy is an idiot, but it is what it is and there's not much you can do about it except move on to another job. Unfortunately in these situations severe damage is going to be done before his bosses figure out he's an idiot. The loss of experienced people, and institutional knowledge can really hurt a dept.

Yeah, this might have been a legitimate change in procedures, except for the part where New Manager came in and basically poo poo all over the whole department by referring to "procedures cobbled together using non-industry-standard tools" and comparing Linux of all things to a stick and a rock. That pushes things from "we are doing things this way now, please adapt," to "I don't know poo poo about poo poo and I'm such a loving egomaniac that I have to actively insult you for using things I don't understand." Dude forfeited any benefit of the doubt with that kind of attitude.

Edit: Not arguing with you at all by the way. I'm just saying that yeah, if the manager used anything near that kind of language, then I promise that the changes have nothing to do with efficiency and everything to do with ego. I've seen that kind of thing before.

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 17, 2015

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

JosephSkunk posted:

Not the only one crushing on this person at the moment obviously, but I wish he'd done his protesting in the form of an e-mail discussing lost productivity, customer data, and professionalism shown or the lack thereof. With a light 51%helpful/49%condescending tone doing a play-by-play of where to do better in the future when managing professionals in the workplace and copying in bosses and teams, it may have been a lot more effective at making GBS threads all over the latest worst-manager-in-thread in the long run.

Are you a robot?

That idiot thug has an agenda, green lighted by other more senior creeps.
What you suggest would only make you feel better in a chamomile tea sort of way.

Pffffffft.

clandestine cactus
Feb 5, 2009

Hot Rope Guy
My boss left last week to make more money and get stock options.

In the one week span since he left and HIS boss has taken over, I have heard the terms "dashboard" and "Power BI" combined with "SharePoint Online" so many times, that I'm fairly certain I will spontaneously combust the next time they are mentioned at work.

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
poo poo not pissing me off: I turned in my notice and invited everyone from my office for drinks to say goodbye and like. Turns out my lovely boss made it into a dinner and also gave me a gift certificate and a beer basket. There was no talking about work and it was really nice :3: .

poo poo pissing me off: this is the second time in 5 years we did something outside of work and if we had done it more I probably wouldn't have turned in my resignation. I know a lot of people dislike the forced Christmas parties and stuff, but not having them is much much more annoying.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Every good job should have a mandatory group thing with alcohol to allow the airing of grievances mid-year.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

ratbert90 posted:

My ZIP drive ate another ZIP disk! :smith:

People still use these?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

You know what is better than trying to load 500gb of Data into a database with a 250gb file system?

Trying to do it in a non-production environment over a three day weekend.

Apparently the IT "Command Center" laughed at our Program Manager for wanting to have someone paged for the issue.I only wish I could have heard them do it.

Xae fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 17, 2015

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
"I really don't care about anybody's feelings. Just get it working."

Said to my boss by their superior after VP threw the entire IT department under the bus for a problem on a vendor's network (and not giving us the correct network info for routing, but that was a smaller part of a larger vendor issue).

It took a second vendor to convince the VP that it wasn't us. Our word and evidence wasn't sufficient. Three senior IT members were on that call, including me, for hours last night (I'm not on-call), consisting of "Vendor says it's you, so fix it!" repeated ad nauseam. The vendor at-fault abandoned the call at the earliest convenience without resolving the issue.

Issue was resolved by the vendor this morning. I was brought onto that hour-long call "because they said it was you". No apologies or thanks forthcoming. I was omitted from all e-mail communication during the process, so I couldn't jump in and go "Uh, excuse me, but..."

I've never seen my bosses so angry (not at me) before. Freakin' me out a little. Mouse cursor is inching ever-closer to LinkedIn. My bosses are awesome though, so :ohdear:.

Lord Dudeguy fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 18, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Lord Dudeguy posted:

"I really don't care about anybody's feelings. Just get it working."

Said to my boss by their superior after VP threw the entire IT department under the bus for a problem on a vendor's network (and not giving us the correct network info for routing, but that was a smaller part of a larger vendor issue).

It took a second vendor to convince the VP that it wasn't us. Our word and evidence wasn't sufficient. Three senior IT members were on that call, including me, for hours last night (I'm not on-call), consisting of "Vendor says it's you, so fix it!" repeated ad nauseam. The vendor at-fault abandoned the call at the earliest convenience without resolving the issue.

Issue was resolved by the vendor this morning. I was brought onto that hour-long call "because they said it was you". No apologies or thanks forthcoming. I was omitted from all e-mail communication during the process, so I couldn't jump in and go "Uh, excuse me, but..."

I've never seen my bosses so angry before. Freakin' me out a little. Mouse cursor is inching ever-closer to LinkedIn. My bosses are awesome though, so :ohdear:.

I don't understand, are they pissed at you because you basically said, "Hey, a little reach around would be nice since you hosed me"?

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

flosofl posted:

I don't understand, are they pissed at you because you basically said, "Hey, a little reach around would be nice since you hosed me"?

Whoa, clarification! Sorry!

Not pissed at me. Pissed at the VP that threw us under the bus and got away with it, and the higher-up who couldn't give a crap if we're pissed off.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Xae posted:

You know what is better than trying to load 500gb of Data into a database with a 250gb file system?

Trying to do it in a non-production environment over a three day weekend.

Apparently the IT "Command Center" laughed at our Program Manager for wanting to have someone paged for the issue.I only wish I could have heard them do it.

I never get tired of some of the stupid stuff sales people try and do.

We have a very large customer (in the top 10 of the fortune 500) who wants a large database expanded, and they refuse to sign a sales amendment to do it. Upper management told the sales staff to eat poo poo, and get a signed amendment.

So sales decides to go behind everyones back, and have support do it. They tell the customer "it's all taken care of, don't worry." They get support to agree to freely give the client a tb of SAN storage. Only problem: The server has no fiber HBA's, and all storage is local. The only way this database is getting increased is if the client buys more harddrives or an HBA, so wewt.

Never underestimate the ingenuity of stupid people.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Lord Dudeguy posted:

... VP that threw us under the bus and got away with it, and the higher-up who couldn't give a crap if we're pissed off.

How to lose your best people in one easy step.txt

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Ynglaur posted:

People still use these?

I know a few business that do.

The hell of it is, the early drives, and the later drives both are super reliable. It's the ones in the middle you gotta watch out for, because Iomega tried to save a few pennies per drive by removing a subsystem of little plastic parts that basically keep the click of death from spreading. So for those middle drives, one bad disk can gently caress up the drive, which then fucks up every disk you put in them. Meanwhile the original drives and the newer drives both have the prevention thing built in so even if one disk goes bad on its own, it can't break the drive or other disks.

That one dumb "let's save 25 cents a drive" move ruined the reputation of the whole drat company. At least by now basically everyone who had a bad drive got a bad disk already, and so has tossed the dodgy drives, so if you were to buy media and drives now to use you've got a very high chance they won't break for ages to come.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

nitrogen posted:

I never get tired of some of the stupid stuff sales people try and do.

We have a very large customer (in the top 10 of the fortune 500) who wants a large database expanded, and they refuse to sign a sales amendment to do it. Upper management told the sales staff to eat poo poo, and get a signed amendment.

So sales decides to go behind everyones back, and have support do it. They tell the customer "it's all taken care of, don't worry." They get support to agree to freely give the client a tb of SAN storage. Only problem: The server has no fiber HBA's, and all storage is local. The only way this database is getting increased is if the client buys more harddrives or an HBA, so wewt.

Never underestimate the ingenuity of stupid people.

Where I work it takes 6 weeks to get additional disk space added, if you can get Executive Sign off for an emergency order.

12 weeks otherwise.

Plus you have to be willing to pay for it and the PM isn't.

I don't get how people knowingly promise things that are physically impossible to deliver.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Xae posted:

Where I work it takes 6 weeks to get additional disk space added, if you can get Executive Sign off for an emergency order.

12 weeks otherwise.

Plus you have to be willing to pay for it and the PM isn't.

I don't get how people knowingly promise things that are physically impossible to deliver.

Have you heard the story of the horse thief who got cought stealing the kings horse and promised to make it talk?

It's the same thing. The sales guy only cares about making sales targets right now, being able to do it is the future and maybe they can shift the blame on someone else or it might be able to get done.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

sfwarlock posted:

I hope the next person who resigns stops by upper management on their way out to let them know that the whole IT dept is going to quit thanks to this guy, whether that was the plan or not.

This really takes the cake.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Xae posted:

sales.txt

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Xae posted:

All it takes is having absolutely zero personal integrity. Part of me wants to blame commissions and a cutthroat competitive culture for pushing them into this mentality, but enough salespeople are just so slimy that I don't really care who started it; the whole thing can burn.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

It isn't even "sales", it is an internal client. The client is "mean" and they [Project Leadership] don't want to say "No", or even ask them to pay for the poo poo they want, because the client might get mad at them on a conference call.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Che Delilas posted:

All it takes is having absolutely zero personal integrity. Part of me wants to blame commissions and a cutthroat competitive culture for pushing them into this mentality, but enough salespeople are just so slimy that I don't really care who started it; the whole thing can burn.

A lot of that can be mitigated with proper policies and accountability. Sales guys are typically motivated by the money, so make doing the Right Thing be the same place the money is, and hold them accountable when they don't do the Right Thing.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I do GIS for a living and I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that plotters are worse than printers.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

lampey posted:

The trackpad is huge and centered and it works great. If you are near a Microsoft store I would check it out.

Ooh. I shall try and find a place with one then. I've been hurt before!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

John Dough posted:

I do GIS for a living and I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that plotters are worse than printers.

Well, it's a giant inkjet, right? So you're no doubt correct..

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I think when sfwarlock hands over his "Current" resume it should include

201x - 2015 - Current Company

Subtle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Dudley posted:

I think when sfwarlock hands over his "Current" resume it should include

201x - 2015 - Current Company

Subtle.

He'll get it back with a critique in red pen on the margins with something about proper messaging, cavemen and grunting, or something about cobbled together.