Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
V/H/S would be my call. The second one was a bit of a step down though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
You already know what my answer would be, if i had to pick one.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

The Last Exorcism is probably one of my favourites. I love the way the soundrack plays horror stings sometimes - implying that the bad guys edited this footage together with music as some kind of joke, but I also like the idea that the evil is putting on a show for the amusement of the characters - like their own expectations are responsible in some way. So of course it would play horror music.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

penismightier posted:

So SMG, as a found footage fan, (and everyone else for that matter) do you think any of the later ones are as good Blair Witch?

No. certain segments in the V/H/S franchise come close, but i can't think of any post-99 FF movies as a whole that are as good.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

No. certain segments in the V/H/S franchise come close, but i can't think of any post-99 FF movies as a whole that are as good.

I lean closer to your POV than anyone else's, I think. Only Paranormal Activity has the same visceral power to me - maybe no coincidence that both don't show the monster ever. Cloverfield is up there too but I don't really see it as part of the same tradition, it has too much polish on it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

penismightier posted:

I lean closer to your POV than anyone else's, I think. Only Paranormal Activity has the same visceral power to me - maybe no coincidence that both don't show the monster ever. Cloverfield is up there too but I don't really see it as part of the same tradition, it has too much polish on it.

Oh yeah, I always forget Paranormal Activity for some reason. Solid movie, although I think it definitely has more flaws than Blair Witch.

I was actually just talking about it in the horror thread but really there are onlylike 3 or 4 found footage movies I like in their entirety and then a bunch I like in like 10 or 15 minute increments. I loving hate Cloverfield, though.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

You already know what my answer would be, if i had to pick one.

Bonestorm?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

penismightier posted:

So SMG, as a found footage fan, (and everyone else for that matter) do you think any of the later ones are as good Blair Witch?

Blair Witch is basically the Psycho of found footage. It's canonical largely because it came 'first' and is, generally, the only one many critics have bothered to analyze or even watch. That's not to say it's bad - because it obviously isn't - but it's kind of a boring pick for an all-time favorite.

Even in that same specific sub-sub-genre of quasi-occult found footage backwoods horror (including films like Willow Creek and The Blackwater Vampire), the underseen Bigfoot County is at least on par with Blair Witch.

The question is really 'good at what?' at this point, found footage is well beyond just being a subgenre of horror. I'd say The Den, as just one example, is scarier and generally better-made, but it's a completely different film.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Oh yeah, I always forget Paranormal Activity for some reason. Solid movie, although I think it definitely has more flaws than Blair Witch.

I was actually just talking about it in the horror thread but really there are onlylike 3 or 4 found footage movies I like in their entirety and then a bunch I like in like 10 or 15 minute increments. I loving hate Cloverfield, though.

They run into trouble editorially a lot, I think. Don't forget that between its premiere and release over an hour was cut from Blair Witch. If you rock that improvised style you have to be willing to make huge, huuuuge cuts. I think a lot of newer found footage movies underestimate that or don't shoot enough footage to be able to do the same, which leaves you with like 15 minutes of the same "let's take a tour of my house with my new camera" and "WHAT ARE WE GONNA DO" fight in every movie. Blair Witch blows past that poo poo in like 3 minutes, Paranormal in like 5, and Cloverfield wisely peppers it in the middle of the film.

Like a lot of horror, for medium-talent filmmakers the style probably can only really sustain itself for the length of a short.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Blair Witch is basically the Psycho of found footage. It's canonical largely because it came 'first' and is, generally, the only one many critics have bothered to analyze or even watch. That's not to say it's bad - because it obviously isn't - but it's kind of a boring pick for an all-time favorite.

So what does that make Cannibal Holocaust, the And Then There Were None of found footage?

penismightier fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 5, 2014

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Oh my god, there should totally be an adaptation of And Then There Were None done in found footage.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

penismightier posted:

They run into trouble editorially a lot, I think. Don't forget that between its premiere and release over an hour was cut from Blair Witch. If you rock that improvised style you have to be willing to make huge, huuuuge cuts. I think a lot of newer found footage movies underestimate that or don't shoot enough footage to be able to do the same, which leaves you with like 15 minutes of the same "let's take a tour of my house with my new camera" and "WHAT ARE WE GONNA DO" fight in every movie. Blair Witch blows past that poo poo in like 3 minutes, Paranormal in like 5, and Cloverfield wisely peppers it in the middle of the film.

Like a lot of horror, for medium-talent filmmakers the style probably can only really sustain itself for the length of a short.

I never thought about the editorial aspect like that before but I basically agree with all of this. Which is in large part why I like the V/H/S movies, even when they're bad.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Literally The Worst posted:

A movie about ghosts not conforming exactly to reality? Get out.

Who cares if the ghost kept them lost and the Magic Woods distorted time and space? Who cares? I think it's loving scarier if they were just hopelessly lost idiots and then also they got hosed with by a ghost, adn it's two separate and unrelated things. Why do we need to explain poo poo away as "it was the ghost keeping them lost and also they went BACK IN TIME"? Jesus Christ.

You make garbage posts defending stupid bullshit without managing to have the nuts to actually do so, resorting to pass agg bullshit instead, because it's safer to go "nuh uh it's fine" than to talk about why you treat movies like puzzles to be solved. Blow me, junior.

Says the guy who only makes a point half of the time. Come on bro, defend labeling fan theorize that only attempt to recast the events of the plot as deeper meaning. Do it. I wanna see it.

:stare: Chill out, drat.

Coming up with little theories is part of the fun for ambiguous movies. As long as nobody's trying to push their own hypothetical as "The Truth" or otherwise try to shut down discussion, it's fine. It's superficial but harmless, just ignore and talk about something else if it doesn't interest you.

And in any case it's really not worth getting aggressive over, that's some IMDB or YouTube-comments-level temperament right there.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

lizardman posted:

And in any case it's really not worth getting aggressive over, that's some IMDB or YouTube-comments-level temperament right there.

Forget it, Jake. It's Dickeye.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Says the guy who only makes a point half of the time. Come on bro, defend labeling fan theorize that only attempt to recast the events of the plot as deeper meaning. Do it. I wanna see it.

Not interested in defending "thinking about a movie," but I'd love to discuss time-warping ghosts.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Nipplebox posted:

Not interested in defending "thinking about a movie," but I'd love to discuss time-warping ghosts.

The idea that the kids travelled through time is introduced solely in Curse Of The Blair Witch, which is explicitly this kind-of hacky Sci-Fi Channel documentary of the sort that normally covers Ancient Aliens and whatever.

That's not to be all cynical about it. Rather, we should understand that they metaphorically travelled through time - or, more specifically, entered this weird zone where the normal rules do not apply. The characters reference The Wizard Of Oz, and that's closer to the truth than any speculation about secret murder pacts and whatever.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I figure he probably means Lake Mungo, if we're including faux-documentary stuff like most people do. I love Blair Witch, but Lake Mungo is my easy favorite, too.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Nipplebox posted:

Fuckyou man. You know exactly what I meant, don't add being an obtuse rear end in a top hat to being a passive aggressive one, particularly if you're trying to claim some sort of high ground over me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

I figure he probably means Lake Mungo, if we're including faux-documentary stuff like most people do. I love Blair Witch, but Lake Mungo is my easy favorite, too.

Yep. And of course, the question of "any subsequent movies as good as The Blair Witch Project" has to answer "at what"? Lake Mungo barely resembles BWP and has much more in common with Fire Walk With Me.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yep. And of course, the question of "any subsequent movies as good as The Blair Witch Project" has to answer "at what"?

So answer that, homie.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

Fuckyou man. You know exactly what I meant, don't add being an obtuse rear end in a top hat to being a passive aggressive one, particularly if you're trying to claim some sort of high ground over me.

he's not being passive agressive, just uninterested in responding to you, for whatever reason (that's passive aggressiveness)

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Even in that same specific sub-sub-genre of quasi-occult found footage backwoods horror (including films like Willow Creek and The Blackwater Vampire), the underseen Bigfoot County is at least on par with Blair Witch.

The question is really 'good at what?' at this point, found footage is well beyond just being a subgenre of horror. I'd say The Den, as just one example, is scarier and generally better-made, but it's a completely different film.
Willow Creek is one of the few FF where I don't find myself thinking, who is the editor in this, for the lack of one. The scenes with double-takes give it this raw footage feel, not to mention an insight into the douchy guy's relation to his girlfriend.

Honest Thief fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Nov 6, 2014

Avril Lavigne
May 29, 2006

The Dirties is the best found footage movie I've seen since watching Blair Witch at the cinema in '99, although it's not quite horror. It's about two bullied kids making an action-comedy revenge movie at school until one of them starts to take the revenge idea seriously.

Aside from great actors, believable characters and semi-improvised dialogue, what it and BWP both do right is a level of versimilitude that comes from fully embracing the rough edges of the found footage style in ways that work 'in-universe' and in real life.

While things remain interesting the whole way through, on the surface scenes can frequently feel like genuine, mundane camera footage unrelated to any kind of larger story until you revisit them later on. It's a simulation of how real unprofessionally shot footage, even of exciting subjects, can frequently be confusing and boring (which a lot of people claim BWP to be).
These movies are willing to take the risk of turning off half their audience by not compromising on being haphazard and badly shot, while using that style of presentation to enhance the stories they're telling.

Some other FF movies I've seen play out as if the style was an afterthought and they're really regular horror films simply shot from a different perspective, which is something that the remake of Maniac does intentionally and well.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

penismightier posted:

So what does that make Cannibal Holocaust, the And Then There Were None of found footage?

I like Cannibal Holocaust, but I feel that for it to work as well as Blair Witch did, it would need to edit out the whole narrative with the TV station people, and leave just the footage of the american filmmakers.

In Blair Witch, we are immediately pulled into this world where the 3 students disappeared into the woods, whereas in Cannibal Holocaust, we are conscious we are watching a film since the first moment, so we are always one step removed from the horrors we see later. In Blair Witch, we experience them along the students, knowing as much as they do about what happens to them.

That's why I also like REC (saw the Spanish version). We're experiencing the situation along with the characters, and can experience the same puzzlement and excitement.

I think one of the biggest challenges for a found footage movie is drawing you into that world, while also making sure you're following a proper narrative arc.

Like, in Blair Witch, there are edition cuts, and we as an audience can be aware of them, but they're done so well that we never feel we missed something important and can easily fill in the blanks with our imaginations, without breaking the narrative flow, and pulling us out of the movie's world back to our seats.

SMG is making me want to see Blair Witch 2 again, since I only watched it when the movie came out for rentals, and I mostly remember being disappointed they went the route of a trashy horror movie.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Of all three actors, this is my favorite "where are they now?"

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Well huh.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
YellowBrickRoad has a very similar vibe to BWP.

Dr. Puppykicker
Oct 16, 2012

Meanwhile

Star Man posted:

Of all three actors, this is my favorite "where are they now?"

She really, really, REALLY should have arranged the pot in the shape of the stick men. Missed opportunity.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
As long as we're discussing related movies, has anyone seen The Objective, directed by Daniel Myrick? Very similar to Blair Witch but set in Afghanistan starring some more dumb teenssoldiers. The ending is even half-assed the same surreal way!

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Is Man Bites Dog considered a found-footage film? If so it's probably the best one.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

HP Hovercraft posted:

Is Man Bites Dog considered a found-footage film? If so it's probably the best one.

Oh drat, that's a great point. It really is.

I mentioned this in the Netflix thread but last year's Mr. Jones is absolutely amazing and one of the few movies that has ever legitimately scared me. It uses "found footage" but it's not a found footage film at all, if that makes sense. I would check it out though. Critical opinion was massively divided on it, though, so maybe I'm just crazy for thinking it's great (Bloody Disgusting is one of the only places that gave it an unqualified great review).

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
Sanchez has a new movie out called Exists and along with The Den it's probably my favorite FF movie of the year. One of the only times I can think of where I was really impressed by the camerawork seeing as it's found footage.

It kind of loses steam in the last act but overall it's exciting and scary and funny and way way the gently caress better than Willow Creek

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

I finally saw Man Bites Dog a couple of days ago, and it's really good. I'm super interested in found-footage films shot on actual film, just because the logistics of a larger crew alter the way the scenario plays out. I'd love to know if there are others I might have missed.

For me the first VHS is very good, in a way that lots of people might find annoying but I really enjoyed and got into. Little found-footage vignettes that offer cool commentary on common tropes and some very unsettling images that really got into my head. The one with the video-glasses actually made me need to sit down for a while.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

DeusExMachinima posted:

As long as we're discussing related movies, has anyone seen The Objective, directed by Daniel Myrick? Very similar to Blair Witch but set in Afghanistan starring some more dumb teenssoldiers. The ending is even half-assed the same surreal way!

I have. It was on Netflix a while back, not sure if it still is. It was pretty good, but man that ending sort of hosed the whole movie for me. I haven't seen a found footage movie jump the rails in the last five minutes like that since Occult.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hbomberguy posted:

For me the first VHS is very good, in a way that lots of people might find annoying but I really enjoyed and got into. Little found-footage vignettes that offer cool commentary on common tropes and some very unsettling images that really got into my head. The one with the video-glasses actually made me need to sit down for a while.

Safe Haven from part 2 is probably "better," but yeah for me Amateur Night (the video glasses one) is the highlight of the series.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Safe Haven from part 2 is probably "better," but yeah for me Amateur Night (the video glasses one) is the highlight of the series.

I'l have to watch Part 2.

But Amateur Night is really good. Like, I'm fairly decent with normal movie gore and violence, but the aesthetic wormed into my mind and made it feel so much like it was really happening that totally hosed me.

I saw 8MM recently which deals with a real snuff film, and that sums the effect up very well. The understanding that the events you're watching are real flips a switch in your brain and makes it totally terrifying in a very real way. I'd recommend 8MM to found footage fans even though it's not FF itself and more about them and their effects.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The first half hour or so of V/H/S was an extremely powerful first-time viewing experience. Amateur Night and the first part of the wraparound really go all-in on the rape imagery and Second Honeymoon has its fair share of it too, which i won't even disagree with anyone who finds it hella problematic (although i think the people who say "V/H/S thinks all women are evil and will kill you," which i've heard on more than one occasion, are off base) but it really goes a long way towards making it genuinely unsettling almost to the degree of the first wave of horror-exploitation movies in the '70s.

i'd often kinda half-joked that found footage movies could stand to look a bit more to amateur porno as an aesthetic touchstone, and V/H/S felt like the first one that really ran with that.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The first half hour or so of V/H/S was an extremely powerful first-time viewing experience. Amateur Night and the first part of the wraparound really go all-in on the rape imagery and Second Honeymoon has its fair share of it too, which i won't even disagree with anyone who finds it hella problematic (although i think the people who say "V/H/S thinks all women are evil and will kill you," which i've heard on more than one occasion, are off base) but it really goes a long way towards making it genuinely unsettling almost to the degree of the first wave of horror-exploitation movies in the '70s.

i'd often kinda half-joked that found footage movies could stand to look a bit more to amateur porno as an aesthetic touchstone, and V/H/S felt like the first one that really ran with that.

Yeah, Amateur Night is like thiiiiiiis close to the BangBus FF horror we deserve

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
I saw this movie while smoking and it scared the poo poo out of me. I was afraid of forests for like a year. I was 18 too - make fun of me, I deserve it.

Anyhow, it was great. The rocks cracking or whatever that noise was - was freaky as hell, and the children laughing as the tent was trampled or whatever happened was intense and the most memorable scene for me.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Read the whole thread and amazed that no one mentioned the movie that apparently inspired BWP: "The Last Broadcast". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Broadcast_(film)
It came out in 1998, one year ahead of BWP.
Here is the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoyBZ87F94U
TLB is a mixed sort of film. I tuned in to it late at night and missed the opening so I thought it was a genuine documentary until the last 15 minutes, when it gets a bit ridiculous. Have any of you seen TLB? I recommend seeing it. BTW, I'm not dissing BWP, which I liked very much.

E: i see in the interview that BWP was done 1997-9, so maybe TLB came out first but may not have been made first.

Josef K. Sourdust fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 17, 2015

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
We're all obsessed with The MacPherson Tape instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Last Broadcast is a little flat, but it gets points for being innovative I guess.

• Locked thread