Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

computer parts posted:

The difference in cost is basically whatever you value your time. I value it pretty highly.

If you did you wouldn't be playing videogames in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
If you login to marvel heroes today you get a free random hero box

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Thoughtless posted:

Kinda goes to show that when everything is a joke, nothing is.

When everything is a joke, everything is funny.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Has anyone else had several (like 4-5) "Restart Steam Update" pushes this past week?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Kragger99 posted:

Has anyone else had several (like 4-5) "Restart Steam Update" pushes this past week?

Yeah it's bugging the piss outta me.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

Kragger99 posted:

Yup, same here.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Kragger99 posted:

no. maybe because im not on the beta client?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Orv posted:

A bunch of unfunny YouTube assholes chime in on game pages and you have no way to prevent it.

enhanced steam (or adblock apparently)

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Awesome! posted:

no. maybe because im not on the beta client?
Yeah, they've all been beta updates.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Accordion Man posted:

Yeah, they've all been beta updates.

Yup, thinking of switching to regular Steam since I don't particularly use the Steam broadcasting feature (and neither does everyone else, apparently). It's good, but it's not Twitch (or even Hitbox).

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I paid around 25bux when I bought my current (now 3y/o) system, I feel like 25bux is was worth it because I just know I would unintentionally mess up/half-rear end proper cable management and stuff.
The parts themselves where cheap at that specific retailer and it was only 25bux though.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
http://steamleft.com/

:psyboom:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Don't touch the green text... :stare:

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

I'm pretty sure it's lying. I don't think there's any way I could 100% Civ V alone in that time, let alone everything else.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Add 500 hours on top of that and you get a master's degree full time. :science:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's always fun when another person figures out that cumulative time is a very easy way to frighten people even though it means very little

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

The "in this time" section is great.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Eruonen posted:

The "in this time" section is great.

I'd rather eat a bullet with a side of lit dynamite. It would be faster and I wouldn't have to listen to PDP.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

mycot posted:

You read the exact opposite point, the idea is that the money saved (from building a computer) isn't significant enough to feel worth it, not that buying a prebuilt saves you money. And I still never got advice about Startopia.

You might have better luck asking about Startopia in the GOG thread.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Ahahaha

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Is there a casual/easy difficulty variant of Long War for Enemy Within? I wanna try out the cool classes and weapons, but I also don't want to fight fifteen goddamn aliens and die six tries in a row on the first mission.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

Is there a casual/easy difficulty variant of Long War for Enemy Within? I wanna try out the cool classes and weapons, but I also don't want to fight fifteen goddamn aliens and die six tries in a row on the first mission.

Nope.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Wamdoodle posted:

If you did you wouldn't be playing videogames in the first place.

They'd rather be playing video games than putting together a computer. Not everybody is good at or isn't filled with anxiety at the thought of being 100% responsible (edit: ok not 100%, parts can fail) for their computer turning on for the first time. Doesn't seem fair to look down on preferring one over the other.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Mine is just depressing:

What am I doing with my life...

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

kalstrams posted:

Or you get my library. :unsmigghh:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

After beating the new Wolfenstein, I have to say that next time it goes on sale I expect everyone to buy it. Fantastic game.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

kalstrams posted:

Unfortunately that has absolutely no guarantee of netting you a job, so I'd go with the games if you're going to enjoy being unemployed anyway.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Downs Duck posted:

Unfortunately that has absolutely no guarantee of netting you a job, so I'd go with the games if you're going to enjoy being unemployed anyway.
Steam yourself playing games for 500 hours while making goofy noises and you'd probably start making a living faster

Joe the Strummer
Jun 14, 2012

Mr E posted:

After beating the new Wolfenstein, I have to say that next time it goes on sale I expect everyone to buy it. Fantastic game.

Heeeeell yes! I beat this the other day and I gotta say it is probably the best FPS I've played in a while.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

There's a Second Wave option called something like 'cinematic mode' or something like that. It makes you shoot better than your percentages would imply.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Mine is just depressing:

What am I doing with my life...

Fluent booty can get you very far in life...

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Wolfenstein TNO gets crazy batshit hard in the last level or two even on whatever normal is called so be wary of that before you choose to play on one of the higher difficulty settings.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

Steam yourself playing games for 500 hours while making goofy noises and you'd probably start making a living faster

Way ahead of you, pal: http://store.steampowered.com/curator/7560190/ (no video yet, I know)

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

CJacobs posted:

Wolfenstein TNO gets crazy batshit hard in the last level or two even on whatever normal is called so be wary of that before you choose to play on one of the higher difficulty settings.
It wasn't that hard on Normal,(Though some enemies got pretty bullet-spongey) but I can definitely can see it being really unforgiving on the higher difficulties. The upgraded laser really helped for my endgame.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

A Proper Uppercut posted:

You might have better luck asking about Startopia in the GOG thread.

That's a really good point. Thanks!

mr. nobody posted:

They'd rather be playing video games than putting together a computer. Not everybody is good at or isn't filled with anxiety at the thought of being 100% responsible (edit: ok not 100%, parts can fail) for their computer turning on for the first time. Doesn't seem fair to look down on preferring one over the other.

This became hilariously relevant in a whole new way with these screenshots. In this time you could assemble 5000 computers!

mycot fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 18, 2015

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I'm scared to death of 4X games. I heard Civ5 complete is a great "babby's first 4X" game, but I've heard so many good things about Endless Legend that I'm considering just holding out until it goes on sale again (altough it's 17.50 right now on a few places).

Are they different enough to guarantee having both games, or should I just get the better of the two?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

CJacobs posted:

That's probably my one complaint, the last level ramped up in difficulty tremendously.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Accordion Man posted:

It wasn't that hard on Normal,(Though some enemies got pretty bullet-spongey) but I can definitely can see it being really unforgiving on the higher difficulties. The upgraded laser really helped for my endgame.

The god drat LaserKraftWerk with the scope upgrade was essential for playing on Death Incarrnate in the later levels. It could vaporize the heavier guys instantly if you hit them with a full clip.

That said god drat it felt good. Death Incarnate is the way it should be played.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000

Edmond Dantes posted:

I'm scared to death of 4X games. I heard Civ5 complete is a great "babby's first 4X" game, but I've heard so many good things about Endless Legend that I'm considering just holding out until it goes on sale again (altough it's 17.50 right now on a few places).

Are they different enough to guarantee having both games, or should I just get the better of the two?

As someone who has played almost 900 hours of Civ V (it's good) and 36 hours of Civ Beyond Earth (it's not), I recently picked up Endless Legend and am having a good time with it. Haven't played Civ in a long time and this is different enough to rekindle my 4x flame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Mr E posted:

That's probably my one complaint, the last level ramped up in difficulty tremendously.

I haven't played it myself, and I guess it's a balancing issue for most, but isn't that better than the opposite? Not singling you out or anything, but aren't there just as many complaints about today's games being too easy?

• Locked thread