Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I just want drone delivered pizza and stuff from Amazon, dammit! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You know how some airports have employed falconers to prevent bird strikes? Imagine that, but with drones.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
Some true aeronautical insanity. http://www.plus7minus5.co.uk/FlickedBizJet/FlickedBizJet.htm
A pilot ferrying a small bizjet decides to flick roll it, more than once.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Nebakenezzer posted:

My impression in that a better functioning world, we would have already sorted this poo poo out, creating regulatory steps for drones that vary from "none" (for those RC helicopters the source sells) to "treat it like a manned aircraft" (a drone with the same capabilities as a manned aircraft, and therefore needs a licensed pilot operating it.) You could have steps between those two based on airframe capability - or maybe weight - and how much poo poo you'd actually need to know to be a responsible operator. For these steps you could also write commonsense rules like "don't operate near airports, fuckwit" and "keep it below 500 ft if you are beneath a class C drone."

This of course would require people to a) be adults and b) not be trying to game regulations for advantage to your particular industry. Also I guess c) government competence

Still, DISRUPTION. Turns out my hydrogen drone airships don't need no gubbermint regulation :shepface:

The issue is that due to advancements in gyro and battery tech, the 'drone that can do everything a manned aircraft can do' is basically a DJI phantom that costs a few hundred dollars and is available (and flyable) to pretty much everyone.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Australian drone law is even funnier. Our equivalent authority points to legislation they came up with in 2002 and go 'yeah, use this' until they fix it in 2016. The current regs were clearly written for those big rc helicopters and planes, as they make no sense for these quads. Most notably 'keep 30m away from people, vehicles, and buildings'. There's a few drones designed to be used inside, and many of the drones have less than 30m of range. Needless to say, just like America, everyone is ignoring them.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Colonel K posted:

Some true aeronautical insanity. http://www.plus7minus5.co.uk/FlickedBizJet/FlickedBizJet.htm

So yea, don't hire contract pilots from Mexico I guess? That's some amazing damage.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Colonel K posted:

quote:

They did roll it 4 times. What caused all the damage was when on the last two rolls, the pilot got scared and cranked the yoke back the other way to stop the roll and go back to upright. He got about halfway around and got scared and jerked it back real hard, that's what twisted everything, instead of continuing the roll in the original direction. What's funny is, he got scared on roll #3, then tried again and got scared again, so it was hardcore twisted two times.

:jebstare:

Why not just a nice, gentle barrel roll? Positive g all the way through and real gentle on the airframe. What the gently caress am I saying it was a hired ferry pilot for someone's private property, have some drat respect!

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Most people don't know a snap roll from a sushi roll, so I don't put much stock in the account of what was supposedly attempted. No one who knows what a snap roll actually is, much less how to fly one, would think to try such a thing in this type of airplane.

However, the damage is consistent with the typical result of an aileron roll poorly attempted by an untrained would-be aerobatic pilot: panic at the nose dropping as a result of a too-small (or non-existent) pull up, followed by a too-low (or non-existent) roll rate, met with a reflexive pull-down from an already-too-high airspeed and asymmetrical over-G in the ensuing split-S/barrel roll hybrid.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

I ain't no pilot but god drat who the gently caress would try to do any sort of roll on a loving bizjet

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Inacio posted:

I ain't no pilot but god drat who the gently caress would try to do any sort of roll on a loving bizjet

It's more likely than you'd think. From the Miramar 2014 airshow, this guy was doing a barrel roll:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Psion posted:

I don't know about saving time but it probably won't save you money :v:

It's up to you. I haven't taken DC mass transit other than the metro in quite some time, but I don't remember it being that bad. And this line should be pretty reasonable - probably a bunch of people going to Dulles with luggage and a bunch of nerds like me going to Udvar-Hazy with cameras. If I end up taking it and remember I can post a bus trip report for you.

Bringing this back, getting to Udvar-Hazy from downtown DC via transit: Easy, just takes like 90-120 minutes. I went on a weekday, but there would have to be literally 40x the people doing it on a weekend for this to be a problem - the train was near empty, the bus had like 5 people total, of which I was the only person out to U-H. Just leave in the morning (like 8:30) so you miss the crowds at U-H itself as well as have the entire transit system to yourself. You want to do this anyway whether you drive or take transit, because crowds mean more people in between your eyes/camera lens and the SR-71.

If you do this, make absolutely sure to pick up a SmarTrip card; I wouldn't try this with paper transfers. I don't even think they work, but smartrip is dead simple. Expect about $8 each way for rush hour travel.

also Discovery is straight up awe-inducing. I thought Enterprise was cool, but it has absolutely nothing on a shuttle which has been to space and back, and the wear on the heat tiles shows it.

the only 'downside' to this is that you probably won't get to see much at Dulles from the observation tower at 11am. You only really have a good line on runway 1R and everyone was unhelpfully taking off directly away from the observation tower side and there aren't a lot of arrivals at that time. I did not bring a 400mm zoom, and staring at a bunch of 737 butts isn't exciting to me.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Inacio posted:

A god drat American hero like Tex Johnston, that's who

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

StandardVC10 posted:

It's more likely than you'd think. From the Miramar 2014 airshow, this guy was doing a barrel roll:

Bob Hoover's Final 4-Point Roll in the Sabreliner: http://youtu.be/D_mRy9g3c5w

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Inacio posted:

A barrel roll would be fine because its actually a relatively sedate maneuver. A snap roll is uh, completely retarded....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A68tYY9AA9Q&t=292s

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Inacio posted:

A bombardier CRJ will fly inverted...

...in the sim

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

That can't possibly be a business jet, it clearly says USAF and everyone in the USAF is a badass fighter pilot.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I understand if I'm alone here, but as cool as turboprop aerobatics are, I would trade every one of them I've ever seen in place of just watching an F-15 climb straight up until it's gone or B-1s flying low and loud. There's something about that power and noise that brings out the 7 year old in me and plants a big dumb smile across my face.

This is of course talking about being on the ground, being a passenger in one is a whole different ball game.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Did someone ask for a mix of turboprop aerobatics and noise? Here's a Lockheed test pilot jackassing around in a C-130J in France: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIVWxs9QmW4

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Vitamin J posted:

Looks like the big anit-UAV push that the FAA and pilots' union are undertaking has very little to do with safety.

I'm not certain that one article you quoted proves that point entirely. I just want drones to stop trying to hit the airplanes I'm controlling. I've taken two reports in the last 3 months from such situations. Drones of smaller sizes don't show up on radar and they don't have transponders. There's very little that ATC, or traffic collision avoidance systems can do to mitigate the risk of drone operators flying near busy airspace. They need to be regulated.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Prop Wash posted:

Did someone ask for a mix of turboprop aerobatics and noise? Here's a Lockheed test pilot jackassing around in a C-130J in France: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIVWxs9QmW4

Betty doesn't know what the gently caress.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Prop Wash posted:

I love the avionics going nuts on him and he just ignoring it. Man, the C-130J just makes it even better.

BANK ANGLE! BANK ANGLE! *WOOP WOOP* PULL UP PULL UP! BANK ANGLE! ALTITUDE! ALTITUDE!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Lets be fair, the check pilot was saying "continue" on every stall warning so someone was paying attention! (At least I think thats what that tone was)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

Lets be fair, the check pilot was saying "continue" on every stall warning so someone was paying attention! (At least I think thats what that tone was)

That counts as 'ignoring', a lot of the pilots get so used to the warnings, they just shout continue at them no matter what it says.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

At least in this case they're intentionally doing aerobatics (ie flying outside of the normal flight regime) instead of loving up a routine landing or something, so it's more understandable.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Yeah, if this is a test run it makes sense they'd be testing past the boundaries the warnings are set at. The warnings aren't very good if they tell you to pull up when it's already too late.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Prop Wash posted:

That climb at 2:00... drat.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

CommieGIR posted:

That counts as 'ignoring', a lot of the pilots get so used to the warnings, they just shout continue at them no matter what it says.

Flying with the Aussies during a Flag, we're on a low-level route...

"Altitude, altitude"

"Continue"

"Altitude, altitude, PULL UP PULL UP"

"Continue"

"*WOOP WOOP* TERRAIN TERRAIN PULL UP PULL UP"

"Continue"

The whole time I'm thinking "uh guys we're flying right towards a mountain that is basically filling the entire wind-screen I hope someone is going to do something about that"

It was an old-rear end H model but they were flying that thing like they stole it. I didn't think it was possible to have that much fun in a Herk.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Every time I see some goon post about drones, I notice they don't actually fly airplanes. Literally get the gently caress out of my airspace with your drones, bro.

The Ferret King posted:

I'm not certain that one article you quoted proves that point entirely. I just want drones to stop trying to hit the airplanes I'm controlling. I've taken two reports in the last 3 months from such situations. Drones of smaller sizes don't show up on radar and they don't have transponders. There's very little that ATC, or traffic collision avoidance systems can do to mitigate the risk of drone operators flying near busy airspace. They need to be regulated.

Isn't it funny how none of the other goons that are against FAA policy actually fly airplanes?

Get your loving drones out of my airspace, you're going to KILL people.

The model aircraft club does all this poo poo correctly. Airfields, active memberships, awareness...... Now we have drones that bubba and Cletus are going to fly to makes TONS OF $$$$$$ While they're taking video of a university or hospital building next to an airport.

We had a guy come out to our airport with a drone. Drove up on the runway and started flying it before any of us some him on the taxiway "I'm a pilot of a drone! I belong here too"

Edit: just in case it wasn't clear, I give no fucks about drone operators making money off selling videos. I also don't think you need a pilots license to operate a remote controlled drone. Makes no sense, but I REALLY REALLY want you out of my airspace because I fly actual airplanes with actual human beings in them and hitting drones sounds ridiculous, but I've had 3 close calls THIS LAST YEAR ALONE.

Edit 2: when I saw "you" i don't mean ferreting

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jan 18, 2015

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Captain Apollo posted:

Every time I see some goon post about drones, I notice they don't actually fly airplanes. Literally get the gently caress out of my airspace with your drones, bro.

Isn't it funny how none of the other goons that are against FAA policy actually fly airplanes?

Get your loving drones out of my airspace, you're going to KILL people.

The model aircraft club does all this poo poo correctly. Airfields, active memberships, awareness...... Now we have drones that bubba and Cletus are going to fly to makes TONS OF $$$$$$ While they're taking video of a university or hospital building next to an airport.

We had a guy come out to our airport with a drone. Drove up on the runway and started flying it before any of us some him on the taxiway "I'm a pilot of a drone! I belong here too"

Edit: just in case it wasn't clear, I give no fucks about drone operators making money off selling videos. I also don't think you need a pilots license to operate a remote controlled drone. Makes no sense, but I REALLY REALLY want you out of my airspace because I fly actual airplanes with actual human beings in them and hitting drones sounds ridiculous, but I've had 3 close calls THIS LAST YEAR ALONE.

Edit 2: when I saw "you" i don't mean ferreting

I don't understand how someone can be so stupid they'd fly a drone anywhere near an airport or aircraft :psyboom:

It's lovely, I got a drone for christmas, I just want to fly around under 20 m at the park (like you'd fly a kite) but idiots are flying them in traffic, or videoing other people's buildings, or flying them around real aircraft, and ruining the fun for everyone by being dangerously stupid.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Splode posted:

I don't understand how someone can be so stupid they'd fly a drone anywhere near an airport or aircraft :psyboom:

Man, not even airports in general, but bigger airports. Airports with mandatory controlled areas where all normal aircraft have to talk to ATC from the ground up.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I love flying my RC planes but goddamn even if you aren't around an airfield, its perfectly legal and common to fly at 500-1000 feet. Regulate the gently caress out of them.

This period of "we don't know what to do about them" is going to end when something big with someone important on them shits an engine because some little quad poo poo copter fodded it out.

I fly around regulated military UAS activity all the time, some USAF types from trailers, some USMC type from the field itself, and even they, with their own goddamn restricted areas to operate in, will fly right at us. Drone pilots in the military probably aren't the most noteworthy careerists out there, but at least they have training and airspace set aside for them, and they can't even get it right.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

The Ferret King posted:

Man, not even airports in general, but bigger airports. Airports with mandatory controlled areas where all normal aircraft have to talk to ATC from the ground up.

Reminder that people will still shoot lasers at airplanes for no reason other than lol

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

iyaayas01 posted:

Reminder that people will still shoot lasers at airplanes for no reason other than lol

We get reports of that almost nightly. Yeah.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

StandardVC10 posted:

The Sabreliner is a loving *tank*, though. You could probably lawn dart the thing at 500mph and despite you being jellified in the cockpit, they could probably have the plane put back together and flying for a new owner in six months. :colbert:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jan 18, 2015

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

I watched some old planes buzz around over the weekend.

ww1 planes by Raikyn, on Flickr

strikemaster by Raikyn, on Flickr

wings over wairarapa 2015 by Raikyn, on Flickr

WW1 by Raikyn, on Flickr

WW1 by Raikyn, on Flickr

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Prop Wash posted:

They're allowed to do that poo poo over a city? :aaa:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Inacio posted:

I remember being at an air show at Whiteman AFB a few years back. Some black lear jet takes off and we're all :rolleyes: OOOOOO a lear jet!! :rolleyes:

Then the fucker went vertical and started doing all kinds of rolls. It turned out to be one of the cooler things at the show.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

Captain Apollo posted:

Every time I see some goon post about drones, I notice they don't actually fly airplanes. Literally get the gently caress out of my airspace with your drones,

I am a pilot who calculates w & b and also happens to fly RC aircraft.
What people want is reasonable access to airspace with rational restrictions that take into account what you are flying and where.

My club and many others have operated at an active airports for years without conflict.

I see no reason why people shouldn't be allowed to fly below the treetops just about anywhere even close to airports.

I see the same attitude when people see I fly ultralights. You don't have exclusive access to the air from ground level to space.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The Sabreliner is a loving *tank*, though.

Thing is, it doesn't have to be a tank. In that Bob Hoover video with the 4pt roll, he probably doesn't exceed 1.5 G's, or 2 at the maximum.

You just have to start with the nose high enough to give it the room to drop, keep up the roll rate to limit the amount of drop, and lastly don't pull, no matter what, until the wings are level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Prop Wash posted:

Reminds me of some interior vid of Fat Albert

http://youtu.be/Z9h_pD9wC_k