Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
Is it true that speedtest.net etc. give misleading numbers in that the speeds they show when you're web browsing will be much higher than when you're say downloading a video?

Also, is there any way to figure out how much data is being used when watching movies on Netflix? I'm about to go with ATT with a 250 gb cap. Thanks for any help on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

socketwrencher posted:

Is it true that speedtest.net etc. give misleading numbers in that the speeds they show when you're web browsing will be much higher than when you're say downloading a video?

Also, is there any way to figure out how much data is being used when watching movies on Netflix? I'm about to go with ATT with a 250 gb cap. Thanks for any help on this.

It can be. Some providers like comcast "boost" your speed for the first 30-100mb of any transfer; thus speedtest - taking only a small sample - registers the boosted speed.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Walked posted:

It can be. Some providers like comcast "boost" your speed for the first 30-100mb of any transfer; thus speedtest - taking only a small sample - registers the boosted speed.

Interesting. Thanks Walked.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Walked posted:

TWC stopped doing that a couple of years ago and I think Comcast did too but I'm not sure.

The big caveat with speed tests is that they are highly optimistic, especially with higher Internet speeds. I can get 100+ Mbps easily on a speed test site but very few sites and services will serve anywhere near that. Steam is about the only service that will saturate my connection, and that is due (I think) to their usage of torrent-style peering. Single servers rarely allocate that much to a single user.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Heck, I've had some SpeedTest servers be too slow, where my connection is faster than they can send receive data.

I'm definitely the exception though with Google Fiber. Although at this speed, my downloads are more likely to be slowed by my hard drive throughput more than anything else.

socketwrencher posted:

Some routers will do it. Anything with DD-WRT on it will give you bandwidth statistics in a nice graph, showing daily downloads and uploads as well as a monthly total.

You AT&T account might do it too. If they can list all my phone usage, I'd assume they could do the same for a capped internet line.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

xergm posted:

Heck, I've had some SpeedTest servers be too slow, where my connection is faster than they can send receive data.

I'm definitely the exception though with Google Fiber. Although at this speed, my downloads are more likely to be slowed by my hard drive throughput more than anything else.

:argh:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Give http://speedof.me a try. I find the top end speeds to be much more reliable than speedtest.net, especially at 150mbps+

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Would this be a good place to get a new cable modem suggestion? I am on cox and my old scientific atlanta just isn't cutting it. They want to sell me a new docsis 3 for $150 or I can rent it for $10 extra month.

This is a bad deal in my eyes. So I looked on amazon and came up with two modems that will get the job done. But I have never owned anything not provided by the cable company. So I have no experience with these products reliability vs whatever the cable company is going to send me.

Here are the two contenders.

Negear N600
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IF0JAYE/ref=psdc_300189_t2_B0040IUI46

ARRIS / Motorola SURFboard SBG6580
http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-SURF...=docsis+3+modem

I would really like to get one with 802.11N so I can move my current N router to the other end of the house and have it act as an access point/repeater. To improve signal in my back rooms.

If there are better choices I am willing to look at them. These are just the two that stood out on Amazon.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Kilazar posted:

If there are better choices I am willing to look at them. These are just the two that stood out on Amazon.

The modem should really be just a modem. The all-in-one router/mode/wireless jobs are all either poo poo, or way more money than they're worth. Get the regular surfboard modem and leave your router in place.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Agreed. If you need a WAP, get a Ubiquiti.

Normal:
http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-UniFi-Enterprise-System/dp/B004XXMUCQ

Long Range:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005H4CDF4/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944579862

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Centurylink DSL :(

Only other choice here is Mediacom cable internet. They did have higher speeds but their contract was 3 years and had fine print that said after 1 year they have the right to increase your pricing to the normal price.

Turd Nelson
Nov 21, 2008

I'm in Portland and pay $54/month for up to 105mbps. I'm pretty happy!

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Turd Nelson posted:

I'm in Portland and pay $54/month for up to 105mbps. I'm pretty happy!

How the hell are you only paying 54/month? New subscriber? I'm at 78/mo for the same thing here.

Turd Nelson
Nov 21, 2008

Tedronai66 posted:

How the hell are you only paying 54/month? New subscriber? I'm at 78/mo for the same thing here.

I have my own modem which brings the cost down $10/month. What works the best is calling them up and saying that you'd like to cancel because it's too expensive, and try and mention that there's another competitor like frontier that's offering X speed for Y dollars. I also say that I've been really happy with the service and I would consider staying a subscriber if they could come down on the price. The retention department wants to keep you as a customer and they have the power to adjust your rates. I've usually been able to get promotional rates by doing this on an annual basis.

I've had one or two reps who wouldn't budge on the price, so I told them I'd think about it and then call back later to try with a different rep.

Also, if you have a roommate you could consider cancelling your internet because you're "moving out" and then have your roommate sign up as a new customer. The possibilities are limitless!

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

xergm posted:

Anything with DD-WRT on it will give you bandwidth statistics in a nice graph

Be careful with relying on that; the ttraf stats it uses has a tendancy to be way way off what your provider thinks you're using - I've seen it under-report by a couple hundred gigs, and *over* report by 30% (which is what mine's doing compared to TW's stats).

If you're going to pay for overages, use whatever site that the ISP reports and bills from.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

sellouts posted:

Give http://speedof.me a try. I find the top end speeds to be much more reliable than speedtest.net, especially at 150mbps+

Not getting much out of Comcast for $75. Feels like I could do much better.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Turd Nelson posted:

I have my own modem which brings the cost down $10/month. What works the best is calling them up and saying that you'd like to cancel because it's too expensive, and try and mention that there's another competitor like frontier that's offering X speed for Y dollars. I also say that I've been really happy with the service and I would consider staying a subscriber if they could come down on the price. The retention department wants to keep you as a customer and they have the power to adjust your rates. I've usually been able to get promotional rates by doing this on an annual basis.

I've had one or two reps who wouldn't budge on the price, so I told them I'd think about it and then call back later to try with a different rep.

Also, if you have a roommate you could consider cancelling your internet because you're "moving out" and then have your roommate sign up as a new customer. The possibilities are limitless!

I might have to do that. I used to get them to give me promotions all the time. It'd be nice to get it around 50ish a month, especially since my cousin wants directv come next football season.

My cousin and I are renting a place together soon, but we both have comcast at our respective places.

Undead Muppet
Apr 29, 2007

I'm throwing this out here on the unlikely chance that anyone here lives in the Ashland/Catlettsburg, Kentucky 41129 area and has experience with any of the available ISPs.

I just bought a house in Catlettsburg and I'm having a hell of a time even finding out what ISPs are avaible. When I set up my electric, the power company transfered me to AllConnect, and the rep there told me the only provider he had listed was Armstrong Cable. I have them tentatively scheduled to hook up the internet on the 20th, but all the reviews I'm seeing say that Armstrong is terrible, and has a 150gb cap, which is a problem since me and my fiance are both heavy Internet users (me for gaming, her for work, both of us for video and music streaming). They seem to offer a 50/5 plan for $90 a month, which is the same price I paid in SoCal for 300/20 from TWC.

I would just like to hear from someone that either has experience with Armstrong's service, or any other alternative in the area.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
My company has been using Suddenlink on a business account, which was supposed to mean unlimited bandwidth. Of course, it's unlimited until they decide it isn't and our internet was shut off for using "Too much internet". We upload videos to YouTube, we upload raw, uncut videos which can be hours of tape to dropbox, which we download and upload constantly. I think they said we hit 1tb of data exchange and they told us we'd have to pay in 50gb chunks afterwards now. That's not loving acceptable for a company like ours. Is there any ISP that means unlimited business plan when it's advertised?

I hope Google Fiber shows up and just obliterates all ISPs. This poo poo is not cool.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sounds like you should be on a leased line, which are totally uncontended and never capped.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Thanks Ants posted:

Sounds like you should be on a leased line, which are totally uncontended and never capped.
Not sure how to go about that but I'll call our current ISP. Nobody around here offers Fiber, we're basically put into a position where we're too big for our small city, but too small for a real city outside of West Virginia.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You never say what your connection type is? And what speed do you require? And what do you pay monthly?

Leased line is the way to go. You'd be surprised what options may be available. TW Telecom has been an amazing provider for us but I didn't know previously that they existed as a separate entity from time warner cable and twc business

Edit: given that you're uploading that size videos to Dropbox (poor you) what's your upload speed? It sounds sizable and usually those type of lines have an SLA when on a biz account. Have you looked at the contract or agreement?

sellouts fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 17, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

A tier 1 provider like Level 3 or Cogent would probably run fiber for free if you signed a 1 year contract. They're not cheap, but if you need the bandwidth....

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

KillHour posted:

A tier 1 provider like Level 3 or Cogent would probably run fiber for free if you signed a 1 year contract. They're not cheap, but if you need the bandwidth....

Most places will do the install free or deeply discounted when you sign a 3 or 5 year contract. Do keep in mind that you're gonna be paying north of $1k a month for the service.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Most places will do the install free or deeply discounted when you sign a 3 or 5 year contract. Do keep in mind that you're gonna be paying north of $1k a month for the service.

I have a feeling this is gonna be a "Well we don't want to pay more than residential ISP pricing!" situations.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Flameingblack posted:

Not sure how to go about that but I'll call our current ISP. Nobody around here offers Fiber, we're basically put into a position where we're too big for our small city, but too small for a real city outside of West Virginia.

Use a broker if you're shopping leased lines. They do the legwork in finding out what's available at a given location, and the good ones typically get way better pricing for you than you'd be able to negotiate for yourself without serious effort. You don't pay them -- they get paid a cut of the lines they sell, so it's pretty risk free for you.

I've been using the same broker for years across two jobs and am phenomenally happy with them.

Don't go with the LEC.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

KillHour posted:

W-hat. It all depends on if there's fiber in the building, and if not where it is, what permits they need, roads to cross, etc etc I doubt they'll run it for free, especially on a 1 year contract, ESPECIALLY level3. If they have potential other customers in the building that will help too.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Free installs over here in :britain: happen with 3 year contracts, but if there's roads to be dug up and ductwork to install then you pay the costs of doing that. Which are actually really reasonable.

http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/hom...lSgtIFAKw%3D%3D

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

doomisland posted:

W-hat. It all depends on if there's fiber in the building, and if not where it is, what permits they need, roads to cross, etc etc I doubt they'll run it for free, especially on a 1 year contract, ESPECIALLY level3. If they have potential other customers in the building that will help too.

You can always check for yourself.

http://diapricing.level3.com/

Level 3 is willing to run to my house for free with a 1 year contract. But then again, they own a dark fiber line <50 ft from my front door.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

KillHour posted:

You can always check for yourself.

http://diapricing.level3.com/

Level 3 is willing to run to my house for free with a 1 year contract. But then again, they own a dark fiber line <50 ft from my front door.

Probably a per location thing. I know someone who had Level3 run fiber to their office, but the only reason they did it was they were under the impression more tenants would be in the building (it was on his company).

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Definitely per-location, they won't even offer me a quote on fiber. $3000/mo + $2700 installation with a three year contract for 9mbit/sec service which is probably just six T1s strapped together.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Anyone else getting horrible evening slowdowns with Verizon FiOS lately? I pay for 50/50 and had no issues for two years but since the beginning of the year that plummets to 5/50 from about 730pm to midnight. Local techs mumble about widespread over saturation and Verizon adding fiber at central offices. I have talked to people in other regions with similar problems.

And now it turns out they are selling California FiOS to Frontier!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

£25/$38 a month uncapped etc

edit: connection at my shop for comparison

16mbps is what we pay for, and its £4/$6 a month unlimited with low contention so not bad

Stux fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Feb 6, 2015

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Der Meister posted:

You have my condolences...

Be prepared for even more slowdown. Frontier's network is pretty awful in my experience. I deal with multiple branch locations at work, some of which unfortunately have Frontier DSL. The only time any of them are able to achieve anywhere near their rated speed is around 1-3AM. During the day we are lucky to see 3Mbps on our "12Mbps" connections. Occasionally we have drops to sub-1Mbps for good portions of the day. Their network is obviously overloaded. And Frontier couldn't care less about fixing it.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

stevewm posted:

You have my condolences...

Be prepared for even more slowdown. Frontier's network is pretty awful in my experience. I deal with multiple branch locations at work, some of which unfortunately have Frontier DSL. The only time any of them are able to achieve anywhere near their rated speed is around 1-3AM. During the day we are lucky to see 3Mbps on our "12Mbps" connections. Occasionally we have drops to sub-1Mbps for good portions of the day. Their network is obviously overloaded. And Frontier couldn't care less about fixing it.

How can these assholes get away with this poo poo?

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

This is at work. :negative:
My boss has been going back and forth for like 2 months with Cox trying to get them to run a line or some poo poo to our office in a crappy old part of town.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

F-

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Der Meister posted:

Anyone else getting horrible evening slowdowns with Verizon FiOS lately? I pay for 50/50 and had no issues for two years but since the beginning of the year that plummets to 5/50 from about 730pm to midnight. Local techs mumble about widespread over saturation and Verizon adding fiber at central offices. I have talked to people in other regions with similar problems.

Verizon quit spending money when they realized that FiOS wasn't the money printing machine that their wireless stuff is.

And I'm *sure* the sale plan to Frontier was decided on ages and ages ago, so why spend ANYTHING if you're just going to ditch it?

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

3 down/1 up, middle of nowhere Iowa...I need to move to Cedar Falls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Detheros posted:

3 down/1 up, middle of nowhere Iowa...I need to move to Cedar Falls.
Century Link in Iowa? Ouch.

• Locked thread