Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
I love the irony. I guess she didn't learn anything either because she got caught in a wire. http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/08/09/actress-from-the-wire-caught-on-wiretap-pleads-guilty-to-heroin-charge/?_r=0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Well one of the other things I'd take from the Wire is that when it comes to crime, sooner or later, everybody comes undone. No matter how careful you are, sooner or later you get caught or get killed.

It's telling that only two cops get shot in the series and both of them survive. Meanwhile virtually every major criminal character either dies or goes to prison.

edit - I forgot about the cop Prez shoots dead, but that sort of adds to my point: an accidental shooting by a fellow cop.

freebooter fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 13, 2015

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bleh Maestro posted:

I love the irony. I guess she didn't learn anything either because she got caught in a wire. http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/08/09/actress-from-the-wire-caught-on-wiretap-pleads-guilty-to-heroin-charge/?_r=0

All in the game yo

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

freebooter posted:

Well one of the other things I'd take from the Wire is that when it comes to crime, sooner or later, everybody comes undone. No matter how careful you are, sooner or later you get caught or get killed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2Fv-nJCfrk

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
Snoop was also on the Rust Belt episode of No Reservations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QHCK4Xfa6Q

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

TommyGun85 posted:

someone missed the ENTIRE point The Wire was trying to make. I guess you just thought it was a show about black people selling drugs and killing each other.
Whos talking about the wire? Im talking about a real life killer playing a killer on tv.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
I'm on season 2 of my HD rewatch, episode 8 is one of the best episodes in the series.

McNulty's recreation of his drunken car crash, Fuzzy Dunlop, Ziggy getting forklifted up onto the crates and then buying a duck

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here

neckbeard posted:

I'm on season 2 of my HD rewatch, episode 8 is one of the best episodes in the series.

McNulty's recreation of his drunken car crash, Fuzzy Dunlop, Ziggy getting forklifted up onto the crates and then buying a duck

The duck is the Greek, and he faked his own death! :ssh:

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Alright, I'm gonna ask: Is Snoop (the character and not the person) meant to be a sociopath? For me, that's what held Season 5 together: the dramatic irony was that there were actual serial killers on the loose - Chris and Snoop - it's just that they were killing black men, with the somewhat hamfisted message seeming to be that people care more about the deaths of homeless white men than of black males, especially if it's perceived to be connected to the drug trade.

Snoop is portrayed as gaining satisfaction and pride from her work, but as having no other side - she has no family and isn't depicted as having any friends, much unlike the camaraderie we see between D, Bodie, Poot and Wallace, or even between hardened killers like Avon and Slim Charles. She doesn't show any interest in the money Marlo pays her, she wears plain clothing, uses plain guns (in contrast to Bird's fancy piece from season 1), only uses a "company car" and doesn't seem to live anywhere. She's impressed by Michael's budding martial abilities, but doesn't seem even the slightest bit unsettled when driving him out to murder him. She laughs after Chris brutally murders Bug's father, only asking why he didn't wait until the body was in the vacant before killing him, not why he'd done it. Oh, and, she also kills like 30 people. There's that, too.

Chris, on the other hand, obviously isn't a sociopath. Gbenga Akinnagbe is brilliant, communicating the empathy and even compassion Chris has for Michael with just a handful of glances. The scene where Chris realizes why Michael wants Bug's dad murdered is amazing, because it only takes one brief shot to make the audience understand exactly where Chris is coming from. Chris has a family who he misses and wants to keep safe. For someone with relatively few lines and comparatively simple dialogue, Chris is a fantastic character. I love this show.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
It doesn't really matter if she is or not, the point was that America/audiences are captivated by fictional, Dexter-like serial killers, with complex motives and brilliance, when there are very real, brutal 'serial' killers in every major city, who do what they do not for some esoteric reason, but simply because of the Drug War and how our world chooses to operate. On one hand, you have essentially a comforting idea, that serial killers are part of a interesting game that they play with law enforcement, and they have deep psychological reasons as to why they do what they do. On the other, non-fictional hand, drug dealers/gangsters have no complex, personal motive, may not be brilliant, and drop very real bodies in every city every single day because of the nature of the system--a chilling idea.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I'm in the middle of a rewatch and came across this scene, which I distinctly remembered for its unusual camera angles. I've dug it up from way back in the thread rather than screencap it myself.

Jerusalem posted:

Less happy are the Detail detectives, as Colvin shows them Hamsterdam, explaining that there are three locations where drugs are, if not legal, at least overlooked. Horrified, Sydnor and Kima refuse to sugarcoat any of this and lay it out in the open for Colvin - he's legalized drugs. Not at all he insists, begging them to look at the improvements made to what were previously his worst corners, explaining that crime is down 5% in his district now. Realizing that this isn't endearing him to them, he tries the other old standby, claiming that his plan is to let everybody settle in here and then make a big showy arrest. McNulty raises his eyebrows at that, not believing it for a second, and Colvin again asks them not to let the Bosses know, he needs time before he can explain this to them. He apologizes to Sydnor for making them let Bodie's crew go and giving them back the G-Pack, but McNulty speaks up to say it's not a problem, they got what they needed from the stop. Kima and Sydnor still aren't happy, and McNulty takes Colvin aside to bring up a troubling fact - once they make their big showy arrest then the dealers will just return to their old corners. Plus he knows that Colvin has never cared about showy arrests... is he really planning on taking this mess to the Bosses? "gently caress the Bosses" Colvin says at last, about the best thing he could have said to McNulty, saying that nothing else is working and he's only a few months away from retiring with his pension anyway. McNulty shrugs, this isn't his problem, he's got what he needed, let Colvin run with his crazy idea. One wonders if maybe this didn't create the germ of McNulty's own insane scheme in season 5.

What's the deal with McNulty's head being backlit by the sun here? It's clearly intentional but I'm not quite sure what it's meant to symbolise, if anything.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Jerusalem nailed it, McNulty's lightbulb has gone off. I love this show.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Aha, of course. I was associating it with those old pictures of saints or angels with the halo behind their heads, which made no sense because it's quite the opposite of how McNulty's portrayed.

A little touch from that episode I missed the first time around: at the press conference where they announce they recovered Dozerman's gun, Dozerman himself is looking shaky and sweaty, and Burrell says that he will soon be returning to duty - not that he already has, or is. You get the impression they've pretty much hauled him out of a hospital bed and stuffed him in full dress uniform for the cameras.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I just assumed the shot was framed that way to keep the sun from blinding the camera.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

freebooter posted:

Aha, of course. I was associating it with those old pictures of saints or angels with the halo behind their heads, which made no sense because it's quite the opposite of how McNulty's portrayed.

A little touch from that episode I missed the first time around: at the press conference where they announce they recovered Dozerman's gun, Dozerman himself is looking shaky and sweaty, and Burrell says that he will soon be returning to duty - not that he already has, or is. You get the impression they've pretty much hauled him out of a hospital bed and stuffed him in full dress uniform for the cameras.

I always wondered why Dozerman looked so uncomfortable there.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Red Crown posted:

Alright, I'm gonna ask: Is Snoop (the character and not the person) meant to be a sociopath?

I thought Snoop was a sociopath when she first appeared but in the final episode, she took her impending death with such calm and dignity, that it shattered my perception of her. It felt tragic in some way, like she was just a pawn all along.

NOTinuyasha fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jan 16, 2015

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I'd think anyone who is in the game would fit the definition of a sociopath. Sure, some of them have regrets and morality but not enough to take themselves out of it entirely.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Philthy posted:

I'd think anyone who is in the game would fit the definition of a sociopath. Sure, some of them have regrets and morality but not enough to take themselves out of it entirely.

Well the problem is most people can't totally agree on the definition and its not really a diagnosis as much as a catch-all term for a lot of different specific disorders. But yea I'd think if someone lives that life for long enough they will inevitably develop some sort of personality disorder. For some it may be narcissistic, maybe others anti-social, and there are more that would be just as likely.

"True" sociopaths are more the realm of fiction, the one's we've come across in real life could easily just be seen as very special cases of narcissistic personality disorder in its most extreme form.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 16, 2015

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Philthy posted:

Same, but the army.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I just found out that the black friend in the movie Chronicle is Wallace :eyepop:

Where's Wallace string?!?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I need budget lines.

To evacuate a person is to give them an enema.

Their lingo and dialogue is kind of cool even if the characters aren't.

That exchange is always interesting because I always hear it from other people out of context so I always think "wait a minute, if you phrase it that way then her grammar was correct" but then when you hear what she actually wrote and then you're like "huh, you gotta be a pedantic motherfucker to excel at that kind of job" and then I suppose that's what editors are for :v:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

drunken officeparty posted:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1502712/?ref_=nv_sr_1

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

drunken officeparty posted:

I just found out that the black friend in the movie Chronicle is Wallace :eyepop:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I found him straight away!

:smith:

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Ohhhh, man. I'm about halfway through the fourth season on my rewatch, and this is always when I remember how great the show was, like.. The first three seasons are *fantastic* and engrossing and do all kinds of things amazingly well, but the fourth season just blows my mind. It really is like the show was pulling near straight-A grades before then, and then it just upped it to another new level above while refocusing the main cast on four child-actors. That's just unheard-of insane. The fact that it's just so drat good is what keeps blowing my mind. I mean, if it weren't for season 4 I don't think The Wire would push ahead of all the other "greatest shows of all time". At least not in my mind.

A few things I'm noticing:

-Marlo was never that smart to begin with, from his introduction at the beginning of season 3 to his final scene. If you look closely, you will see that he practically never makes a decision himself. Nearly every last major move he makes is counseled on (and really, ultimately decided by) Chris Partlow. Take, for example, the beginning of Season 4 when Bodie and his independent crew of Barksdale leftovers are still on the corner, and the poo poo with Lex capping Fruit over Patrice goes down.

Now, Marlo's boys go to him and they want to crack down on Bodie's whole crew, and Marlo seriously considers this... Before glancing over at Chris, who gives the barest shake of the head. Then Marlo turns and tells them that they're leaving the crew alone and just taking down Lex. Chris makes that decision - not Marlo. There are a lot more instances of this that I'm not quite recalling or haven't gotten to, but I've been trying to make note. It's just interesting, though, because Partlow is really nothing like Wee-Bey or the Barksdale muscle at all. He's totally his own entity, and he definitely wields a *huge* amount of influence over Marlo.

-The closed captioning really loving blows. You'd think they'd get it right on the HBO site, at least? But they even transcribe "narco" as "knocko" which is absurd, and get the street language all wrong half the time. It's sort of funny how you develop the ear for Wire dialogue, whereas the show feels nigh-unintelligible at times if you're new to it.

-Cutty seems like way, way, WAY more of a scumbag this time around. Maybe it's personal bias because I don't like the actor, but practically everything he does ends up seriously rubbing me the wrong way. I never noticed just how much Michael actively despises Cutty as well, this time around. Before I perceived it as more of Michael just averting himself from the guy, but it's really more that he's one loving second away from killing him, and the later incident on the corner between them (which seemed a little bit like extreme out of the blue violence to me) was foreshadowed much more effectively than I thought.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

kaworu posted:

-The closed captioning really loving blows. You'd think they'd get it right on the HBO site, at least? But they even transcribe "narco" as "knocko" which is absurd, and get the street language all wrong half the time. It's sort of funny how you develop the ear for Wire dialogue, whereas the show feels nigh-unintelligible at times if you're new to it.

I can't comment on the captioning as a whole, since I've never used it, but bizarrely, "knocko" is the correct, Baltimore-centric term. I don't have a link handy, but David Simon has said that explicitly, and it is written that way in his books too. See The Corner for more.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Grumpwagon posted:

I can't comment on the captioning as a whole, since I've never used it, but bizarrely, "knocko" is the correct, Baltimore-centric term. I don't have a link handy, but David Simon has said that explicitly, and it is written that way in his books too. See The Corner for more.

OK - setting that aside, just to take an example from something I just say in the last episode (409 I think) Prop Joe and Marlo are hookin' up and Prop Joe is givin' Marlo the word on what he learned with his funny accents about Herc, and as he hands the card to Marlo he says "Might could be a problem." This is transcribed by lazy subtitlers as "Mike could be a problem." This is exactly the sort of mistake they make over and over - the quirky grammar that black people use is often misheard and transcribed into some absurd way that's "correct" but meaningless in context like that.

edit: And just to add, it is loving unbearable to watch Herc in season 4. What he does to Randy and Bubbles makes him arguably among the evillest motherfuckers on the show. It is just loving painful to watch.

-Another point I wanted to add: I'm starting to think Dominic West was a poor casting choice as McNulty, and that having so much focus on McNulty is ultimately detrimental to the show. It really sunk when I realized that every single I time to get season 4, I reach episode 9 or 10, and realize McNulty has gone the entire season so far while only showing up in barely half a dozen scenes - if that. And in most of those he's background noise. The guy who beats up Bubbles is a bigger character in season 4. Hell, Kenard is a bigger character in season 4, with way more lines and screen time.

And I know I'll get to season 5 and get really, really tired of Dominic West's schtick as McNulty really, really quickly, and that will almost certainly cause me to even fast forward through certain McNulty-heavy sequences (which would be an unthinkable notion in any earlier season - fast-forwarding at all on a rewatch).

But seriously, I was getting to thinking about it, and imagining an alternate universe where, say... Matthew McConaughey got cast as McNulty - which might be an unfair and silly comparison, but still. I also was thinking this: if Idris Elba had been cast as McNulty, he would have been freaking fantastic and it would have transformed the show. Of course, Luther was the germ of that thought experiment, but still.

Anyway, I don't know. I've been thinking about it more because I thought West was similarly mediocre in The Affair which I was shocked to see do so well at the Golden Globes. I know lots of people love McNulty/West and think the character is great or that the actor did a good job, and will give me poo poo, but there you go. Both the actor and the character really fail to impress me, and I honestly don't think it's a coincidence that the consensus best season for the most part (as far as I know) happens to be the only season without McNulty as *any* sort of protagonist.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 17, 2015

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I'm nearing the end of S2 and this shot is the first one that really made me notice how nice the 16:9 is

I absolutely love that grain pier building, it's a shame it got all cleaned up and turned into condos.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

kaworu posted:

OK - setting that aside, just to take an example from something I just say in the last episode (409 I think) Prop Joe and Marlo are hookin' up and Prop Joe is givin' Marlo the word on what he learned with his funny accents about Herc, and as he hands the card to Marlo he says "Might could be a problem." This is transcribed by lazy subtitlers as "Mike could be a problem." This is exactly the sort of mistake they make over and over - the quirky grammar that black people use is often misheard and transcribed into some absurd way that's "correct" but meaningless in context like that.

I'm really surprised by that. I work as a live subtitler, and the non-live subtitlers (at least at my company) are absolutely detail-oriented and pedantic about getting everything 100% right, down to the tiniest, most irrelevant bullshit in throwaway game show episodes. Is this on the official DVDs?

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
One subtitle goof that always amuses me is when Daniels says to Rhonda, "Marla once told me, you cannot lose if you do not play."

The subtitles have it as "Marlo once told me..." One little letter changes it completely.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

kaworu posted:

-Cutty seems like way, way, WAY more of a scumbag this time around. Maybe it's personal bias because I don't like the actor, but practically everything he does ends up seriously rubbing me the wrong way. I never noticed just how much Michael actively despises Cutty as well, this time around. Before I perceived it as more of Michael just averting himself from the guy, but it's really more that he's one loving second away from killing him, and the later incident on the corner between them (which seemed a little bit like extreme out of the blue violence to me) was foreshadowed much more effectively than I thought.

I don't see how you could get this opinion of Cutty. He makes mistakes (like going out with the mothers of his students) but he tries hard and does his best to help people.

Michael doesn't like Cutty because he distrusts his friendliness due to the abuse Michael suffered from Bug's dad. If anything Cutty being a typical street gangster who was happy to beat people down over nonsense, sling poison and be a stand-up soldier willing to kill people over drugs would have made Michael trust him more. He understands and accepts those relationships but he just can't work out adult men who try and get to friendly with him without an ulterior motive besides wanted to help he. He can't see it as anything other than grooming.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

kaworu posted:

McNutty hate

I think the character of NcNulty is quite important to the show. He's the embodiment of frustration towards all the bureaucratic bullshit that exists. Once he got Bodie killed though... Rawls was right.

Kevyn posted:

I'm nearing the end of S2 and this shot is the first one that really made me notice how nice the 16:9 is

I absolutely love that grain pier building, it's a shame it got all cleaned up and turned into condos.

Life imitating art:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@39.26879,-76.588512,3a,75y,358.8h,96.61t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sHCrYJ0cwraeoX3xMEzRfRg!2e0

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
http://picandscroll.tumblr.com/post/64521741709/the-wire-simpsonized-by-adrien-noterdaem-adn

If I was a billionaire, I'd commission someone to remake The Wire Simpsons-style, every fuckin' season.

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup

Kevyn posted:

The finale montage as Nick walks along the fence and stops and stares at the port while being tailed by his witness protection escort looks so amazing too. There's a shot near the end where the camera is behind Nick as he clenches the chain link fence and the background of the port and docks zooms in while Nick stays still, like the port is rushing at him, that was absolutely jaw dropping in HD.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

team overhead smash posted:

I don't see how you could get this opinion of Cutty. He makes mistakes (like going out with the mothers of his students) but he tries hard and does his best to help people.

Michael doesn't like Cutty because he distrusts his friendliness due to the abuse Michael suffered from Bug's dad. If anything Cutty being a typical street gangster who was happy to beat people down over nonsense, sling poison and be a stand-up soldier willing to kill people over drugs would have made Michael trust him more. He understands and accepts those relationships but he just can't work out adult men who try and get to friendly with him without an ulterior motive besides wanted to help he. He can't see it as anything other than grooming.

I don't disagree at all - that's a totally valid interpretation of the relationship between Cutty and Michael and the one I was working with. I had just read it before as Michael being, well, more confused and frustrated by Cutty's behavior, in the same manner that he felt confused and frustrated by Prez's behavior. But this actually isn't the case; Mike trusts Prez way more than Cutty - in spite of Cutty being a street gangster and Prez being ex-police - and both are adult men who are friendly towards him. While Mike is hating on Cutty he is coming to trust and like Prez. I noticed this time around that while talking with Duquan, Michael really was seconds away from deciding to take his problem to Prez, and then only changes his mind after Cutty is recommended in the same manner, which is when he complains about everyone being "too motherfuckin' friendly" or whatever.

And again, I hadn't noticed as much before how antagonistic the relationship between Cutty and Michael was, following the fight they go to. Michael ignores everything Cutty says, except when Cutty is trying to appear heterosexual to Michael and saying that he was inside a while and "ain't no angel" and Michael acidly says "No. You ain't that."

neckbeard posted:

I think the character of NcNulty is quite important to the show. He's the embodiment of frustration towards all the bureaucratic bullshit that exists. Once he got Bodie killed though... Rawls was right.

I don't have a problem with the character, so much as the actor and the way the character was portrayed. I think a character like McNulty was totally essential from the beginning; I've just come to realize that I don't much like the McNulty that we got, and watching season 4 and realizing how I don't even notice missing him really makes me realize that.

freebooter posted:

I'm really surprised by that. I work as a live subtitler, and the non-live subtitlers (at least at my company) are absolutely detail-oriented and pedantic about getting everything 100% right, down to the tiniest, most irrelevant bullshit in throwaway game show episodes. Is this on the official DVDs?

Most subtitles are quite correct. I have a habit of watching things with the captions on just to make sure I'm getting the dialogue right, and just from watching enough foreign films/TV for a while you get really used to it.

I've been alternating between watching HD Wire on Amazon Prime and HBOGO depending on where I am (mostly on Amazon Prime now) and I honestly don't know if they were subtitled by different companies, but it feels like there are more mistakes on the Amazon Prime titles. To be fair, The Wire isn't the easiest show in the world to subtitle, with a lot of mumble-mouthed characters like Snoop speaking in what basically amounts to its own dialect of English - while the cops practically speak their own language too.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
The Whitlock Academy: Class in Session

http://youtu.be/qdS6mwpcuxY

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Dead Snoopy posted:

The Whitlock Academy: Class in Session

http://youtu.be/qdS6mwpcuxY

There aren't even words. How does this only have ~5,000 hits? This sheeeeeeeit's gonna explode.

edit: Okay, I'm getting seriously pissed at this poor-rear end subtitling over on Amazon. I'm on the final episode of season 4, and it's that awful-but-incredible scene where dopesick Bubs comes into the police station at rock-bottom to confess what happened to Sherrod, and winds up vomiting on Landman's shirt before trying to hang himself, then tells him the truth. Landsman is talking to Norris and memorable says "gently caress the clearance," with a sigh, and says to send him someplace with "soft walls" since he'd probably try to kill himself again if they just cut him loose.

Except it's subbed as "softballs". Send him someplace with "softballs". Well done. There really has been at least an error per episode - it's stunning. This one was just especially bad because it ruins a moment when you're on (or past) the verge of tears from watching Andre Royo at this point in Bubs's arc.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jan 18, 2015

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
One thing you can notice in the HD version is the details on stuff that you wouldn't see in the original broadcast. Like how the prop money appears to have Levy's head on it.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Man, aint no white man get his face on no motherfuckin' legal tender UNLESS he president!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Dead Snoopy posted:

Man, aint no white man get his face on no motherfuckin' legal tender UNLESS he president!

Hamilton. He ain't no president.