Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

nielsm posted:

That was a Good Episode, and the most hellish meeting.

Shame about Zuka not getting the role, though I still have a hunch she will get called in later for some reason. It sounded like the scheduling for the more veteran actors was heavily booked.

Yup. There's no way they're not going to have her take part in the show somehow, but it'd feel a little too coincidental if everything fell together that easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So among other mentions (like the half-dozen VA cameos that we presumably got and the studios the new guy named), we've got Studio Titanic. Who are they supposed to be?

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Xelkelvos posted:

So among other mentions (like the half-dozen VA cameos that we presumably got and the studios the new guy named), we've got Studio Titanic. Who are they supposed to be?

They were a studio that sunk a few years ago, you probably haven't heard of them.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Samba De Amigo posted:

They were a studio that sunk a few years ago, you probably haven't heard of them.

Actas, the GuP studio. It's set in the same town as GuP. They were responsible for delaying the last two episodes of GuP for months.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

sincx posted:

Actas, the GuP studio. It's set in the same town as GuP. They were responsible for delaying the last two episodes of GuP for months.

:ohdear:

Musani's screwed.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

:ohdear:

Musani's screwed.

They just need a good producer or manager to whip them into shape

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
It was impressive how loving dodgy the Studio Titanic office looked.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

GuP?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Girls und Panzer

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

nielsm posted:

Shame about Zuka not getting the role

Heartbreaking.

Awesome how they showed us the juxtaposition of the 14+ hour meeting participants getting fatigued and just choosing whatever to how much getting or not getting that role meant for the newbie.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
That meeting was absolutely horrifying and possibly the most cynical Shirobako has ever been so far. I doubt that's exactly how the meetings go (I can't believe anybody who is any good at negotiating would be so blatantly transparent about what they want), but I think the broad characterizations of the different ancillary market producers was probably close to the truth about what their pressures and decision-making process for casting can be.

And man, those Shizuka feelings about failure hit home hard, particularly at how arbitrary the reason you might not get picked can be. The worst thing about applications/auditions is that you very rarely find out why you don't get the role or job or even how close you were to getting it.

Studio Titanic is not exactly a subtle foreshadowing, is it.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Hanazawa Kana is a pretty good singer now. Stop making fun of her.

Also, selecting the VA by twitter followers means that Sugita Tomokazu would be every main character.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Zettace posted:

Hanazawa Kana is a pretty good singer now. Stop making fun of her.

Also, selecting the VA by twitter followers means that Sugita Tomokazu would be every main character.

i don't see the problem

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I'm firmly on Team Shizuka now :saddowns:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol at the guy screaming about rear end for 14 hours.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

AnacondaHL posted:

Heartbreaking.

Awesome how they showed us the juxtaposition of the 14+ hour meeting participants getting fatigued and just choosing whatever to how much getting or not getting that role meant for the newbie.

I almost started crying. Heavy feels this week

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Man, gently caress just about everyone in that meeting - as well as whoever they're parodying. Jesus, that was hard to watch.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
How can you call a scene with Koyasu's amazing "acting"* as hard to watch.

*We all know he was just reading the lines as himself rather than in character.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I didn't think the meeting was hard to watch. It was a very caricatured take on what I'm sure goes on, but it was like "yup, I bet shades of this exist, that sure sucks"

Everyone realizing they are working on the same project the VA just got turned down for almost made me cry though.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I'm wondering, though, they brought up the actress' schedule and that she was waiting on another audition to come in, so Shizuka might end up getting the part by being the 2nd choice. The fact that they brought up that detail makes me think it'll come up later.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Oh I'm guessing she will get a call, since this anime will likely take up the rest of the series and it would be kind of weird for them not to fulfill their highschool dream. But it was still heartbreaking to see the realization dawn on them.

(The only other thing I can see is if she doesn't get the call, once the aero series wraps, near the last episode of this season, they get another project that we don't get to see and she's picked to be the lead actress or something because she did well in a show for another studio)

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jan 18, 2015

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

is cgi girl working on it too and did i miss that somehow?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Davincie posted:

She has left her old company and is working on planes now instead of car tires.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Davincie posted:

Her new job is doing planes, ie: Musani outsourced to them. I don't think she realized that it was the same anime until that scene though.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Yeah, her new job is working on the planes. It's mentioned in like one sentence.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It kinda bugs me that writer girl isn't doing anything approaching writing. I like that she's involved but I wonder if she's gonna be like "This is my new calling!" or twist and go "But my true passion is...!"

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

DamnGlitch posted:

It kinda bugs me that writer girl isn't doing anything approaching writing. I like that she's involved but I wonder if she's gonna be like "This is my new calling!" or twist and go "But my true passion is...!"

I could believe "researcher" as an entry level position to writing; useful for world building. You probably don't write historical / period fiction without a skill like that.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

DamnGlitch posted:

Given how often she's said "I love learning new stuff", I'd say that "This is my new calling!" is more likely. From what we know about her, it sounds like she mostly just loves to read. I mean, we haven't seen her talk about the cool story ideas she has, but we have seen her talk about being moved by a good book. I think confusing a love of writers with wanting to be a writer is a fairly realistic mistake to make.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

CuLT posted:

I could believe "researcher" as an entry level position to writing; useful for world building. You probably don't write historical / period fiction without a skill like that.

Pretty much. This is a good stepping stone for her, especially since she'll be in close contact with Musani's lead writer guy whose name I forget.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I love the blantant foreshadowing going on with studio Titanic. The name and then "Is your director picky?" Holy poo poo, poor Myamorin.

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

Clarste posted:

Given how often she's said "I love learning new stuff", I'd say that "This is my new calling!" is more likely. From what we know about her, it sounds like she mostly just loves to read. I mean, we haven't seen her talk about the cool story ideas she has, but we have seen her talk about being moved by a good book. I think confusing a love of writers with wanting to be a writer is a fairly realistic mistake to make.

Maybe, but I think most authors would say that other than just grinding through writing every day, the other pre requisite to writing is being an avid reader.

In any case, other than Aoi, she does seem to have the most nebulous (and interesting) career trajectory.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

AnacondaHL posted:

Heartbreaking.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
That is somehow way more hilarious than it should be. Partially because it's not timg'd.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

gambatte emi!!

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

it's been 15 years but im still upset that yamato became an astronaut and yet absolutely no one joined the federation since thats actually more plausible than that ending

ViggyNash posted:

Pretty much. This is a good stepping stone for her, especially since she'll be in close contact with Musani's lead writer guy whose name I forget.

Yeah, and in the new opening you can see her turning something into him for evaluation and he rejects it. Sure looks like every mentor I've ever had lmao.

PS. I'm so glad she's working there now - mostly because she is getting paid for the hard work she's been doing!

aers
Feb 15, 2012

The staff have tweeted that the meeting scene in episode 14 was recorded before the animation so they could animate it afterwards with errors left in, to make it more realistic.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I will forever treasure the line "More importantly, dat rear end!" :allears:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

aers posted:

The staff have tweeted that the meeting scene in episode 14 was recorded before the animation so they could animate it afterwards with errors left in, to make it more realistic.

This show is really good and it's cool to see something be a complete surprise like this. I wish more shows had characters who weren't in high school. Just do it like shirobako and make them like a year or two out so you can still do the moe design or whatever, but at least they can have jobs now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

This show is really good and it's cool to see something be a complete surprise like this. I wish more shows had characters who weren't in high school. Just do it like shirobako and make them like a year or two out so you can still do the moe design or whatever, but at least they can have jobs now.

On that note: Servant x Service is really good, though an entirely different genre (romantic comedy, with an emphasis on "comedy"), and the characters are almost all adults (there are a couple of teenagers, but they have secondary roles and are seldom in the spotlight).

• Locked thread