Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Phanatic posted:

FWIW, I just tried short ribs. According to the waiter at Ma Peche, where I've had the best ones I've ever tasted, they do them there at 143F for 36 hours.

He's a liar. Either they did them at a higher temp or for a longer cook because these came out like steak. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I was hoping to get to the fork-tender succulence of the ones as the restaurant.
Má Pêche sources better beef than you did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Choadmaster posted:

I know I repeat myself a lot on this thread but do keep in mind that sous vide does not kill botulism spores, and the vacuum bag is a perfect environment for anaerobic bacteria.

How exactly is the botulinum going to grow at fridge temps?

SubG posted:

Má Pêche sources better beef than you did.

I still haven't found actual short ribs instead of poo poo chuck labeled as :(

deimos fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 16, 2015

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

deimos posted:

I still haven't found actual short ribs instead of poo poo chuck labeled as :(

Bone-in is the only kind I trust now

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

deimos posted:

How exactly is the botulinum going to grow at fridge temps?

Sorry, thought he was responding to Mr Executive, whose short ribs had been sitting in warm water for an indeterminate amount of time.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

Phanatic posted:

FWIW, I just tried short ribs. According to the waiter at Ma Peche, where I've had the best ones I've ever tasted, they do them there at 143F for 36 hours.

He's a liar. Either they did them at a higher temp or for a longer cook because these came out like steak. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I was hoping to get to the fork-tender succulence of the ones as the restaurant.

So not as successful an outcome as I wanted, but they were still damned good with a port-wine reduction and pan-roasted rosemary/garlic taters.

What I'm thinking is that further experimentation is definitely called for.

Here are results of different temps/times on short ribs, you can see which one you are going for and try that:

http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/short-ribs-time-and-temp

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
When is the bag juice usable? I keep seeing different opinions

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
When it's 3-day-cook bag juice that's already browned on its own

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Jose posted:

When is the bag juice usable? I keep seeing different opinions

When there's enough of it and it tastes good. My bag juice sauce:

When the meat is done, take it out, cut a small hole and pour the bag juices into a small saucepan. Then put the bag back in the water, making sure the hole is resealed or otherwise out of the water. Vacuum isn't important, it's just for keeping it warm for a little while.

In a small saucepan, bring the juices to a rolling boil with chopped onion and port - and/or any other sauce flavorant you desire. Sometimes there will be an unappetizing froth forming in the juice, particularly if you've had the bone in, the boil will cause this froth to solidify. Let it reduce for a little while, then strain the onions and froth out, set aside.

When searing the meat, don't use crazy amounts of oil or stuff you don't want in a sauce. Because after searing, you deglaze the pan with the sauce. (I prefer margarine for searing for this reason) The sauce thickens very quickly from the high heat and the sugar in the port. Even so, stir in some nice butter (not margarine this time) to make it extra thick and tasty. Plate the meat and indulge.

Port goes very well with lamb and venison, beef might work better with dry red or perhaps dark beer and some dried chili. Experiment away, the concept is very simple and versatile.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Ola posted:

When there's enough of it and it tastes good. My bag juice sauce:

When the meat is done, take it out, cut a small hole and pour the bag juices into a small saucepan. Then put the bag back in the water, making sure the hole is resealed or otherwise out of the water. Vacuum isn't important, it's just for keeping it warm for a little while.

In a small saucepan, bring the juices to a rolling boil with chopped onion and port - and/or any other sauce flavorant you desire. Sometimes there will be an unappetizing froth forming in the juice, particularly if you've had the bone in, the boil will cause this froth to solidify. Let it reduce for a little while, then strain the onions and froth out, set aside.

When searing the meat, don't use crazy amounts of oil or stuff you don't want in a sauce. Because after searing, you deglaze the pan with the sauce. (I prefer margarine for searing for this reason) The sauce thickens very quickly from the high heat and the sugar in the port. Even so, stir in some nice butter (not margarine this time) to make it extra thick and tasty. Plate the meat and indulge.

Port goes very well with lamb and venison, beef might work better with dry red or perhaps dark beer and some dried chili. Experiment away, the concept is very simple and versatile.

I've come across some articles/recipes here and there that seem to indicate anything past 24-36 hours the bag juices tend to denature and aren't so awesome. I didn't use my short rib juice, and i'm debating using the pork rib juice from my most recent 48 hour 7 spice rub dunk session.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Denature how exactly? Does it get very gloopy and gelatinous? The times I've dony multi-day vizzles, the juices didn't seem very different from shorter duration ones.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Yeah, I've made sauces with bag juice from 48 hour cooks fairly often. If you're making a sauce anyway, just taste it and see if it'll add flavors you want.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Ola posted:

Denature how exactly? Does it get very gloopy and gelatinous? The times I've dony multi-day vizzles, the juices didn't seem very different from shorter duration ones.

Beats me, I'll try using it and report back. Anecdotes don't go in my mouth :D

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I'd like to advise people not to put any canvas paintings above their sous vide beer coolers. My cool picture of Times Square on canvas now has a very surrealist Two Times Square.

This may have been obvious to most but I just felt like sharing :)

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

Choadmaster posted:

Sorry, thought he was responding to Mr Executive, whose short ribs had been sitting in warm water for an indeterminate amount of time.

The short ribs were good, and I didn't die. I'll consider that a success.

However, the ribs weren't as fantastic as I was hoping. They weren't exactly dry, but they weren't really "juicy." All the connective tissue/fat was broken down and 0% chewy, but they seemed more like steak than short ribs. They were boneless and didn't look exactly like other short ribs I've seen (they looked leaner). I didn't realize that some retailers sell other meat labeled as short ribs, but now I'm thinking that may be what happened. I bought them at Costco, so I'm kinda surprised a reputable store would do something like that (if that is what happened).

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Mr Executive posted:

However, the ribs weren't as fantastic as I was hoping. They weren't exactly dry, but they weren't really "juicy." All the connective tissue/fat was broken down and 0% chewy, but they seemed more like steak than short ribs. They were boneless and didn't look exactly like other short ribs I've seen (they looked leaner). I didn't realize that some retailers sell other meat labeled as short ribs, but now I'm thinking that may be what happened. I bought them at Costco, so I'm kinda surprised a reputable store would do something like that (if that is what happened).

Yeahhhh costco's boneless short ribs aren't really rib.

Like I said, I don't trust anything that isn't bone-in anymore at a regular grocery

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Like I said, I don't trust anything that isn't bone-in anymore at a regular grocery

Is this like a known thing? All I can find with a little googling is a bunch of soccer moms drooling over their Costco "short rib" beef stews.

Now I'm gonna go out and find some real ribs this weekend and try again. The Costco stuff was good (made awesome tacos with sliced leftovers), but it definitely wasn't what I was expecting from short ribs.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Mr Executive posted:

Is this like a known thing? All I can find with a little googling is a bunch of soccer moms drooling over their Costco "short rib" beef stews.

Now I'm gonna go out and find some real ribs this weekend and try again. The Costco stuff was good (made awesome tacos with sliced leftovers), but it definitely wasn't what I was expecting from short ribs.
It tastes great! And it makes great beef stew! But it's not true shortrib, and therefore will not cook up the same in a recipe that specifically requires shortrib to behave like shortrib.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 16, 2015

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

It tastes great! And it makes great beef stew! But it's not true shortrib, and therefore will not cook up the same in a recipe that specifically requires shortrib to behave like shortrib.

Yeah, I understand that. I was asking if this is widespread knowledge that Costco's ribs aren't really ribs. I couldn't find anything mentioning this because all I found were people raving about stew (which would obviously taste great with these "ribs," but doesn't really provide any real info about the meat).

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, I can only speak from personal observation, looking at them myself at Costco it seemed obvious that they weren't the same texture as real shortrib, and were the same texture as the "shortrib" :airquote: I got from Ralphs.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Mr Executive posted:

Also, keep the following in mind if you're aiming for a particular texture from your ribs:

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

toplitzin posted:

Also, keep the following in mind if you're aiming for a particular texture from your ribs:

Yeah, I read this and chose something somewhat in the middle (48h at 140).

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've mentioned before I do mine at 131.5 for 48 hours. Comes out like a really beefy medium rare steak.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I've picked up some lamb neck since it was on sale for my first long cook. Any recommendations for time/temp? I saw 24 hours at 55C on a site

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Anyone ever done pork cheeks? I've never had pork cheeks but recently found out that I have pretty easy access to them. I assume I'd give them the pork belly treatment, something like 72 hours @ 144 or so, but any first-hand experience and advice would be welcome.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Mikey Purp posted:

Anyone ever done pork cheeks? I've never had pork cheeks but recently found out that I have pretty easy access to them. I assume I'd give them the pork belly treatment, something like 72 hours @ 144 or so, but any first-hand experience and advice would be welcome.

Yes. Here's the key to the whole thing.

Send me some.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Keep in mind that a bone isn't a guarantee. In the US the chuck primal is the shoulder back to and including the 5th rib.

The rib subprimal cuts off the chuck are usually called something like chuck ribs or country-style ribs. Or at least that's what I remember usually seeing them marked as---there's no universally accepted nomenclature for subprimal cuts. But I assume anyone willing to mark chuck as short ribs would be willing to mislabel (or at least misleadingly label) chuck ribs as well.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Anyone got a time/temp for quail eggs? I followed a williams sonoma recipe 147 for 20-30 mins and the whites never set

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Anyone got a time/temp for quail eggs? I followed a williams sonoma recipe 147 for 20-30 mins and the whites never set

The easiest thing is to try hotter temp and see if you still like the yolk, but since the whites and yolk set at different temps you might want to try preboiling for a minute before vizzling. I don't think more time helps it set firmer.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Never messed with quail eggs but with regular ol' chicken eggs, I've had better luck with a post-vizzle dip in boiling water to set the whites more, rather than pre-vizzle.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Ola posted:

The easiest thing is to try hotter temp and see if you still like the yolk, but since the whites and yolk set at different temps you might want to try preboiling for a minute before vizzling. I don't think more time helps it set firmer.
It will unless you're way the gently caress off with the temperature.

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
So, can anyone tell me how to use the sous vide drippings to make a sauce? There's so much gunk in it when I toss it in a pan.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

In the event I get a power cut over night meat is ruined?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Jose posted:

In the event I get a power cut over night meat is ruined?

unless the temperature stays above the danger zone: yes.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
Where the gently caress do you all live where the power cuts regularly? Question has come up twice in last three pages.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

They're normally extremely rare but it happened twice in the last week for some reason

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

SubG posted:

It will unless you're way the gently caress off with the temperature.

What's the right temp/time? I'd like to perfect my sous vide egg, in the past I've only ever gotten nice yolks.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Ola posted:

What's the right temp/time? I'd like to perfect my sous vide egg, in the past I've only ever gotten nice yolks.
Depends on the egg and how you want it to come out. What I'm saying is that for whatever temperature you're using, the longer you leave it in the firmer the egg will be (unless you're running your puddle machine too cold to cook an egg at all).

You know how if you're cooking something in the oven you're aiming at one target internal temperature but when you're cooking in a puddle machine you end up looking for a much lower number? That's because the number you generally use for oven cooking is the one that gets you, in principle, an instantaneous 6.5log10 (or whatever) reduction of whatever pathogens you're worried about. And when you're doing it in the puddle machine you're getting the same reduction from a lower temperature but over a longer time. And what that's telling you is that at your sous vide temperature at any given moment you might have just killed a random individual pathogen that might be in the food, but the chances are small enough that you have to keep rolling those dice for a couple hours until you're confident that all of those pathogens (or all but one in 106.5 of them) have crapped out.

When you're looking at something like the texture of a vizzled egg you're looking at basically the same game, only with a couple of particular bonds in some proteins in the white or yolk. So any temperature that will denature those proteins at all will, mumble mumble some caveats you really don't give a poo poo about in the kitchen, eventually denature enough of them to set the eggs however the gently caress you want if you give it enough time.

Looked at a slightly different way: you can still overcook poo poo in the puddle machine, it's just that at the kinds of temperatures you're usually using in a water bath the window for correct/desired doneness is wide as hell because the processes you care about are going slower than Christmas compared to `conventional' cooking.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
So my minor shortrib letdown was my fault. I was at Costco again yesterday and noticed that they did, in fact, label the meat as "chuck short ribs." I did buy some lamp loin chops that I'm gonna try out tonight. They're pretty thick, so I think I'm gonna try 2h at 134. Anybody have any experience with lamb loin chops?

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
Did short ribs at 142F for 48hrs and sauced the bag juice.

After serving people tore into them so fast I didn't get a picture.

Even the vegetarian ate an entire rib.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The lamb neck I did for 24 hours at 55C came out great. Wasn't really sure what to expect since its my first time cooking for a long time so I put them in the oven briefly before searing.

If I cook something and it goes bad for whatever reason, is it immediately obvious from sight/smell like normal?