Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

kaworu posted:

I don't have a problem with the character, so much as the actor and the way the character was portrayed. I think a character like McNulty was totally essential from the beginning; I've just come to realize that I don't much like the McNulty that we got, and watching season 4 and realizing how I don't even notice missing him really makes me realize that.

While it would've been a different show if they'd cast him like they originally wanted to, it's a crying shame we don't at least have test footage of John C. Reilly as McNulty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichardDunn
Oct 23, 2008

comes along bort posted:

While it would've been a different show if they'd cast him like they originally wanted to, it's a crying shame we don't at least have test footage of John C. Reilly as McNulty.

Wait... What?

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup

Party Plane Jones posted:

One thing you can notice in the HD version is the details on stuff that you wouldn't see in the original broadcast. Like how the prop money appears to have Levy's head on it.

One thing I can't believe I never noticed before was a David Simon cameo in season 2. When the FBI and Valcheck arrest Frank and walk him out in front of all the reporters David Simon is one of the guys hounding him with questions. I'd seen this episode probably 10 times in SD and never spotted him before.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

RichardDunn posted:

Wait... What?

That's not entirely correct. Ray Winstone was their first choice but his accent was even worse than Dominic West's. They went after Reilly, but he turned them down because he didn't want to commit to a tv show.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Just finished S2 HD rewatch. God drat, the first time around I remember not liking the whole dock worker thing as much as the rest, but wow poo poo, that season is really really good. Marlos first appearance, too!

I love this show way too much.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I know bunny turns up, but I thought Marlo was Ep 1 S3?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

comes along bort posted:

That's not entirely correct. Ray Winstone was their first choice but his accent was even worse than Dominic West's. They went after Reilly, but he turned them down because he didn't want to commit to a tv show.

bloody hell, can you imagine Ray Winstone doing the "epic bender, smashing his car then banging the waitress" scene?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Stuff I've noticed rewatching season three:

I distinctly remember McNulty saying to D'Angelo's mother, "I kinda liked your son - all things considered, he wasn't a bad guy." It stuck with me because that pretty much sums up how the viewer probably feels about him too. This time around, I noticed he says - almost verbatim - the same line to both D'Angelo's girlfriend and, four episodes later, his mother. It's a self-scripted line as part of his "reasonable homicide detective" front.

Trainspotting - I've heard way more background train noises in this season, notably right after Stringer tells Avon his killed D'Angelo and they fight, when Mouzone approaches Omar in the alley, and the wires of a train are visible passing by the window after Stringer is shot. (Which makes you wonder why the hell he thought anyone would buy a condo when the living room faces out onto a train track.)

Stringer calls the Western District and shortly afterwards Colvin gives McNulty a slip of paper with the address of Avon's safehouse, refusing to name the source. Later in the episode Stringer meets Colvin in the graveyard and again gives him a slip of paper, the dialogue indicating that it's just the same information. Why do this twice?

Prez's fortune cookie right before he shoots another cop: "A new friend will make himself known to you." :smith:

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

I'm on my fifth rewatch, two HD episodes in so far and god drat, the show is so loving great and it looks gorgeous now.
Last time I watched the show was probably back in 2010 or so, it weirdly kinda feels like reuniting with some friends after not having seen them in a long time.
I've got the same poo poo-eating grin on my face as McNulty does after D'Angelo gets taken away from the interrogation room by Levy.

e:

Zat posted:

I happened to come by a Swedish show recently in which Snoop Pearson shows them around some of The Wire's shooting locations and talks about stuff. I believe it was shot sometime in 2014. It's worth a watch.

http://www.svtflow.se/video/2267755/avsnitt-1-snoop

You can skip the first 5 minutes if you don't care about Swedish :words:

Thanks for posting this, very interesting

Angryhead fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jan 19, 2015

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
"I thought I might legalize drugs" cracks me up every time.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

freebooter posted:

Stringer calls the Western District and shortly afterwards Colvin gives McNulty a slip of paper with the address of Avon's safehouse, refusing to name the source. Later in the episode Stringer meets Colvin in the graveyard and again gives him a slip of paper, the dialogue indicating that it's just the same information. Why do this twice?

I think you might just have your chronology mixed up here, because there is only *one* slip of yellow paper with Avon's safehouse in it. McNulty figures it out when he sees the Western District number pop up *twice* on the wire - the first time when Bell contacts Bunny to give him information so Colvin knows he's a confirmed C.I. and not somebody loving with him, and the second time to set up the meet at the graveyard where Bell gives Colvin the safehouse info. It's only after that when Colvin and McNulty meet up at the Western District (the place with the beer cans alllll over the roof) and Colvin hands off the slip of paper - "the last bit of real police work in a long career" - which as I recall actually ends the episode in question, since it's when we finally get that great shot of the roof of the Western Districts with its thousands of beer cans.

One episode really bleeds into the next when you're doing a rewatch like this, though.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jan 19, 2015

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Watching the show with my parents was an experience. Season 5 and my dad is saying poo poo like:

"Wait, so is this guy Omar or Marlo?"

"Who's Jay?"

"Who's Chris?"

"Snoop was a girl this whole time?"

Latent racism or early onset senility? I don't want to know.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Watching the show with my parents was an experience. Season 5 and my dad is saying poo poo like:

"Who's Jay?"

"Who's Chris?"

I don't know that I'd call it racism but there is definitely something like face-blindness that happens with white people who spend decades upon decades immersed in media that only ever features other white people. They have a hard time adjusting to a show where the whole cast is black and you are expected to distinguish between them.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Basebf555 posted:

I don't know that I'd call it racism but there is definitely something like face-blindness that happens with white people who spend decades upon decades immersed in media that only ever features other white people. They have a hard time adjusting to a show where the whole cast is black and you are expected to distinguish between them.

Simon makes the same point in, I think Homicide, that when the Korean shops were robbed by white guys, the Koreans had a massive problem telling white guys apart

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

kaworu posted:

I think you might just have your chronology mixed up here, because there is only *one* slip of yellow paper with Avon's safehouse in it. McNulty figures it out when he sees the Western District number pop up *twice* on the wire - the first time when Bell contacts Bunny to give him information so Colvin knows he's a confirmed C.I. and not somebody loving with him, and the second time to set up the meet at the graveyard where Bell gives Colvin the safehouse info. It's only after that when Colvin and McNulty meet up at the Western District (the place with the beer cans alllll over the roof) and Colvin hands off the slip of paper - "the last bit of real police work in a long career" - which as I recall actually ends the episode in question, since it's when we finally get that great shot of the roof of the Western Districts with its thousands of beer cans.

One episode really bleeds into the next when you're doing a rewatch like this, though.

Maybe I'll have to check again, but I'm 95% sure it's all in order - Stringer calls Western, then Colvin gives McNulty the address, then Stringer gives Colvin the address again at the graveyard.

On a completely different note, I never noticed before that Bunk says he was only a few years above Omar at high school. Omar says he's 28 in season two. There is no loving way that Bunk is in his early 30s. Although, interestingly, the actor who plays Omar really is only a few years younger than the actor who plays Bunk - he was born in 1966 or something. He looks good. I don't know why they didn't just make Omar a 38-year-old.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So are they actually planning to release the HD versions on Blu Ray?

I really really hope that standalone HBO service comes to the UK. I know Sky wont let that happen but please god.

perpetulance
Mar 24, 2013

THUNDERDOME LOSER

freebooter posted:

Maybe I'll have to check again, but I'm 95% sure it's all in order - Stringer calls Western, then Colvin gives McNulty the address, then Stringer gives Colvin the address again at the graveyard.

On a completely different note, I never noticed before that Bunk says he was only a few years above Omar at high school. Omar says he's 28 in season two. There is no loving way that Bunk is in his early 30s. Although, interestingly, the actor who plays Omar really is only a few years younger than the actor who plays Bunk - he was born in 1966 or something. He looks good. I don't know why they didn't just make Omar a 38-year-old.

They probably made him 28 because living to 38 with his job would be drat near impossible.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Steve2911 posted:

So are they actually planning to release the HD versions on Blu Ray?

I really really hope that standalone HBO service comes to the UK. I know Sky wont let that happen but please god.

The Blu-Rays are supposed to come out sometime in July.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

perpetulance posted:

They probably made him 28 because living to 38 with his job would be drat near impossible.

The coroner puts him at 34 in S5. And you never know, you know that rough looking dude that works muscle for Butchy? That's the "real" Omar. Andrews, I think his name was, unfortunately dead of natural causes now. A long prison stint got him out of the stick up game and he spent the rest of his life trying to make positive changes in cities stricken with the drug trade.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Red Crown posted:

The coroner puts him at 34 in S5. And you never know, you know that rough looking dude that works muscle for Butchy? That's the "real" Omar. Andrews, I think his name was, unfortunately dead of natural causes now. A long prison stint got him out of the stick up game and he spent the rest of his life trying to make positive changes in cities stricken with the drug trade.

It would've been nice to see Omar get that ending. :(

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

Red Crown posted:

He was actually blind right? Is that how he became blind or was it age?

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Red Crown posted:

My one of those was casting the real Bmore drug kingpin as that preacher that gets Cutty the space for his gym.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
And the real jay landsman working for fake jay landsman.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Which reminds me, I knew Ed Norris the homicide detective was played by Ed Norris the ex-BPD commish, but I didn't know he was actually still the sitting commissioner when they filmed Season 1. That rules.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Bleh Maestro posted:

He was actually blind right? Is that how he became blind or was it age?

Don't know - not Butch, Butch's muscle. You first see him when he gears Omar up for a shivvin' in jail.He's killed when Omar raids the 5th floor apartment.

Kevyn posted:

Which reminds me, I knew Ed Norris the homicide detective was played by Ed Norris the ex-BPD commish, but I didn't know he was actually still the sitting commissioner when they filmed Season 1. That rules.

Art imitates life or???

quote:

In December 2003, Norris was indicted on three charges by U.S. Attorney Thomas DiBiagio. Two of the counts charged Norris had made illegal personal expenditures of over $20,000 to pay for expensive gifts, personal expenses, and extramarital affairs with at least six women from the Baltimore Police Department’s supplemental account.[2] The third count alleged that he had lied on a mortgage application, stating that approximately $9,000 he received from his father was a gift, when it was actually a loan.

Norris was investigated by the US Attorney of Maryland for abuse of a non-taxpayer funded expense account. While looking for violations, it was discovered that Norris borrowed $9,000 from his father for a home purchase. Norris and his father signed gift letters stating the money was a gift. It was discovered that Norris had returned the money to his father at a later date, which at that point the gift became a loan. Norris was then indicted for making a false statement on a mortgage application.

In a plea agreement, the mortgage charge was dropped in exchange for a guilty plea of abusing the expense account, which Norris had denied. On March 8, 2004 Norris pled guilty to federal corruption and tax charges.[3] Norris was sentenced to six months in federal prison in Yazoo City, Mississippi and Atlanta, Georgia, to be followed by three years of supervised probation and ordered to perform 500 hours of community service. The case alleged lavish gifts and meals were given to friends and girlfriends. However, when it came time for restitution to be made for all gifts purchased, the government requested $100.[citation needed]

Despite the guilty plea, Norris has publicly maintained his innocence saying that the case was politically motivated and the guilty plea was forced because of his mortgage issue. In an October 9, 2006 newspaper article Norris admitted to using the money from the alleged accounts, but said that he paid it back in full before he left office to take the position of Maryland State Police Superintendent. "Even things that weren’t questionable I paid back."[4] After Norris’ indictment, the prosecutor was forbidden by the US Department of Justice from public corruption cases due to an uncovered e-mail message stating that he wanted more front page indictments by Election Day. Once this message became public, he was fired for what the government described as "a lack of judgment and lack of candor.

From the Wikipedia. I had no idea.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Skeesix posted:

My one of those was casting the real Bmore drug kingpin as that preacher that gets Cutty the space for his gym.

Wait, what?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Phenotype posted:

Wait, what?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melvin_Williams_%28actor%29

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Red Crown posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donnie_Andrews is the guy you're talking about.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Jay Landsman looks disgusting in HD. Those burgers. That sushi.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

Red Crown posted:

Don't know - not Butch, Butch's muscle. You first see him when he gears Omar up for a shivvin' in jail.He's killed when Omar raids the 5th floor apartment.

Art imitates life or???

From the Wikipedia. I had no idea.

Oh Derp I misread as Butchy

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

LordPants posted:

I know bunny turns up, but I thought Marlo was Ep 1 S3?

Ohh yeah, I couldn't help myself and watched the first episode of S3 already and probably just didn't register that Season 2 was over when I saw it. Or something.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jan 20, 2015

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

freebooter posted:

OK, my mistake, I hadn't rewatched the very final episode yet. There are two slips of paper but they have two different Avon addresses:

1. Stringer calls the Western and informs them of something we don't see onscreen, but we can guess from later in the episode when Colvin gives McNulty a slip of paper at his desk in the Western. It's a Barksdale address which is registered in his name - probably the penthouse.

2. Later in that episode, Stringer meets Colvin at the graveyard and gives him the address of Avon's weapon-filled safehouse. In the final episode, Colvin passes this to McNulty. This meeting occurs in a park.

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here

Mu Zeta posted:

Jay Landsman looks disgusting in HD. Those burgers. That sushi.

It takes effort to cultivate that kind of body. You should show some respect!

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

I thought landsman's rear end looked pretty decent in hd

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What about that end of the season with Daniel's finely chiseled rear end?

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here

LordPants posted:

What about that end of the season with Daniel's finely chiseled rear end?

:vince:

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
did anyone see the SNL sketch with Kevin Hart?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Gargamel Gibson posted:

"Who's Jay?"

"Who's Chris?"

I think this has to do with the cast for the Standfield gang looking a lot less distinctive than the Barksdale gang in general, speaking a lot less to each other and getting less screen time in general because of the additional side plots.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

Aye Doc posted:

I thought landsman's rear end looked pretty decent in hd

Speak again, oh toothless one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan
and shoot him into the trolls base where
ever it is and let him kill all of them. its
so perfect that it can't go wrong.

i think its the best plan i
have ever heard in my life

Toph Bei Fong posted:

"You should go out and spend some of the money on something you can touch: a new car, a new coat. It's why we get up in the morning, right?"

From 2 pages back, but this is quietly one of the most heartbreaking lines in season 2. The Greek knows what Frank will never realize: that no amount of smuggling can ever allow him to outspend the developers and save the union. :smith:

In Canada, they only aired the HD remaster on Bravo for a bit. I couldn't stand the commercial breaks and I'm not sure if they're still airing it. But all the talk somehow has me doing what has to be like a 12th rewatch, about to start Season 2.