Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

"Supermodels are so skinny, and I hate them. They must not eat, amiright?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Rich Vos will be at Magooby's Joke House in Baltimore from the 29th through the 31st.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

FBIASSMAN69 posted:

i just flew into this thread and BOY ARE MY ARMS TIRED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHO1a1kvZGo&t=17s

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Comedians who's entire act is racist characterizations of their own race. I'm not talking about people like Chris Rock who do sometimes-disparaging jokes about black people or black neighbourhoods. I'm talking about people like Gina Yashere, who's entire shtick on panel shows is "Nigerians are violent and confused". Every single time she comments on a story it's a variation on "Imagine if <event> happened <in Nigeria|to Nigerians|to her mum, who is Nigerian>? *in exaggerated Nigerian accent* WHAT IS THIS?! I WILL BEAT YOU!" *laughter from overwhelmingly white audience*.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Agreed, lame poo poo sucking up to whiteys. Haha, I get it, child abuse.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

In Australia at the moment there's quite a few comedians whose whole act is "I'm gay". Adam Richard, Rhys Nicholson, Joel Creasey etc etc all do this shtick that goes "ohh my mum wanted me to be straight but look what happened! OOOhh! Cock!" and so on.

SomethingAwful can get over using "I'm gay" as a punchline but Australia can't? Come on mateys

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol
Race comics
"My grandmother used to be like this *accent* DON DO THAT" and WHITE PEOPLE BE LIKE

"guy" humor
WOMEN SUCK AMIRITE GUYS ?! I JUST WANT TO DRINK BEER AND WATCH SPORTS AND THEYRE LIKE BLAH BLAH RELATIONSHIPS THE NOTEBOOK

Women comedians that are "I AM SUCH A SLUT LOL"

I may be mixing comedians I just don't like with overused tropes but I drive a lot and listen to the comedy channels on XM to help pass the time.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

Comedians who's entire act is racist characterizations of their own race. I'm not talking about people like Chris Rock who do sometimes-disparaging jokes about black people or black neighbourhoods. I'm talking about people like Gina Yashere, who's entire shtick on panel shows is "Nigerians are violent and confused". Every single time she comments on a story it's a variation on "Imagine if <event> happened <in Nigeria|to Nigerians|to her mum, who is Nigerian>? *in exaggerated Nigerian accent* WHAT IS THIS?! I WILL BEAT YOU!" *laughter from overwhelmingly white audience*.

Even better example is Dat Phan, who for all I know may never have made it past 2004

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
I Can't Believe It's Not Butter.

Every single hack comedian (and even some good ones) would use this dumb product as the punchline to a joke. It was barely funny the first time, and it's painful every time someone tries to use it again. Even Stephen Colbert used it in his otherwise hilarious correspondent's dinner stand up. http://youtu.be/U7FTF4Oz4dI?t=4m36s

It is bad and lazy

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008

Dr Christmas posted:

Hey guys, what if, heh, what if we called M Night Shyamalan...snicker...SHAMALAMADINGDONG?

Ugh, as soon as there's any mention of anything to do with Shyamalan, you just know this 'joke' is coming and you cringe and its always bad and not funny.

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...
Yeah comedy songs are a trope I could really stand losing. Also folks who think they are Louis CK and tell long droning stories about their children but throw a poo poo ot gently caress in there to sound "EDGY"

Full disclosure, I still do "how is everyone doing?" every now and again.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I've noticed a lot of comedians who learned the wrong lessons from otherwise wonderful comedians. For example, George Carlin and Richard Pryor were more than just guys who told jokes -- they were philosophers. Their jokes could get people to stop and examine their own prejudices and misconceptions, to question their ignorance and learn something about themselves and the cultures that surrounded them. They told the truth couched within laughter, a bitter pill with a candy-sweet shell. They made people laugh, and they brought about awareness.

Then you have some assholes who saw Carlin and Pryor and thought, "Hey, I can bitch about things and make the word 'friend of the family' my entire act and I, too, shall be famous!'"

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
"my parents and grandparents beat me with an extension cord -- isn't that hilarious? :haw: "

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
"WHY YOU CRYIN'?!!!!!"

Because you're not funny, sir, and your stories of your childhood are depressing as gently caress. Thank you for misrepresenting the entire Latino community with your dogwhistle antics.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Screaming Idiot posted:

I've noticed a lot of comedians who learned the wrong lessons from otherwise wonderful comedians. For example, George Carlin and Richard Pryor were more than just guys who told jokes -- they were philosophers. Their jokes could get people to stop and examine their own prejudices and misconceptions, to question their ignorance and learn something about themselves and the cultures that surrounded them. They told the truth couched within laughter, a bitter pill with a candy-sweet shell. They made people laugh, and they brought about awareness.

Then you have some assholes who saw Carlin and Pryor and thought, "Hey, I can bitch about things and make the word 'friend of the family' my entire act and I, too, shall be famous!'"

Part of the significance of Carlin too was how many boundaries he pushed and that back then you pretty much couldn't say the poo poo he said. Nowadays it's easy to talk about weed, say gently caress, be an atheist, etc on stage.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Chrpno posted:

SomethingAwful can get over using "I'm gay" as a punchline

We did? When?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Animal-Mother posted:

We did? When?

GBS banned the phrase, at least for a little while.

Mildly Amusing
May 2, 2012

room temperature
This is more of a thing in general, and not exclusive to comedy, but I get really really sick of catchphrases that people repeat ad nauseam.

Jeff Foxworthy, Carlos Mencia, Jeff Dunham, every rear end in a top hat with a popular catchphrase can burn in hell.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Optimist with doubt posted:

Yeah comedy songs are a trope I could really stand losing. Also folks who think they are Louis CK and tell long droning stories about their children but throw a poo poo ot gently caress in there to sound "EDGY"

Full disclosure, I still do "how is everyone doing?" every now and again.

I hope you're excluding Garfunkel and Oates on that one. Weird Al should stop, though. Also, Lonely Island.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Yea Weird Al should definitely stop on the heels of his first #1 album.

Also Lonely Island is better than Garfunkel and Oates but that's not saying much either way.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Animal-Mother posted:

We did? When?

Honestly, if you go over there to GBS, make a thread this week, it's entirely possible that someone won't post "I'm gay" in it. Strange but true.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Spoeank posted:

Yea Weird Al should definitely stop on the heels of his first #1 album.

Also Lonely Island is better than Garfunkel and Oates but that's not saying much either way.

Lonely Island has some fantastic stuff. Spring Break Anthem is the most funny and clever comedy song I've ever heard short of Tim Minchin.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Anyone who tries a parody of the Abbott and Costello "Who's on First" routine.

Unless you are 110% perfect and can nail it just as often you shouldn't even bother.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

Mildly Amusing posted:

This is more of a thing in general, and not exclusive to comedy, but I get really really sick of catchphrases that people repeat ad nauseam.

Jeff Foxworthy, Carlos Mencia, Jeff Dunham, every rear end in a top hat with a popular catchphrase can burn in hell.

Haaaaamburger!

CoolZidane
Jun 24, 2008

Mildly Amusing posted:

A stand-up comedy catchphrase is as close as you can get to selling out without straight-up shilling for Canyonero in the middle of your act.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Dr Christmas posted:

Hey guys, what if, heh, what if we called M Night Shyamalan...snicker...SHAMALAMADINGDONG?

The worst part is that "Night" isn't his given name. It's a self-applied nickname, and if people weren't so focused on his surname, Shyamalan could be mocked for trying to get people to call him that. But people go to the surname and he gets away with people calling him "Night".

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Tyler Perry

I have never seen a single one of his movies, but I get the feeling they're all insufferable

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...
Comedy music acts are more forgivable, weird al and garfunkel and oates are good exceptions. Likewise with people like Jonathan Coulton, all of them would likely list themselves as musicians who use humor not comedians who use music. The big offenders are those who do a standard act and then throw in a "hilarious" song at the end.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Optimist with doubt posted:

Comedy music acts are more forgivable, weird al and garfunkel and oates are good exceptions. Likewise with people like Jonathan Coulton, all of them would likely list themselves as musicians who use humor not comedians who use music. The big offenders are those who do a standard act and then throw in a "hilarious" song at the end.

So Adam Sandler before he started making horrid movies?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Bo Burnham is the worst

down beat
Jul 11, 2002
Drug induced hallucinations always involve dragons.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Feslyn posted:

Drug induced hallucinations always involve dragons.

This isn't the PYF Scientific Fact thread, buster. :colbert:

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007

zVxTeflon posted:

Bo Burnham is the worst

The first time I heard of him, I hoped he would never make it. To an extent, he hasn't, so we are generally safe.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I don't like when a comic keeps making references to "this side of the room." Like, "Oh, I see this side of the room is extra sensitive, you may not want to stick around for the second half of my act" or other similar poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

observations

• Locked thread